Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I have an issue with my Satellite & Saorview setup

• 20-09-2024 8:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭

This issue just occurred within the last hour. Both the TV and Triax TSC 114 combi box are not working properly this morning.

The TV screen, which is on a 2nd hand 32'' JVC TV from 2015, just went into a flickering motion by going dark on me in the sitting room. The Triax box underneath the TV, which is about 12 years old, has had an issue with it's standby light going dark on me as well for the past few weeks while it was still giving the TV channels without issue. I did try to turn on my Blu-ray player with the TV while the Saorview combi box was plugged out of the socket. The TV still showed the issues with having the dim screen on it.

I don't want to jump to conclusions here although I think my equipment for the Saorview & Satellite channels at this point in time may need to be upgraded to new equipment to continue receiving these channels from now on. I'm still have them switched on at the moment. I'm also not sure if a faulty HDMI Cable may have been the culprit or it could be a fuse in the plugs of both the TV and the combi box maybe to blame here as well. It is most certainly not an ideal situation at the moment. I did not expect it for this issue to happen to me out of the blue.

Is there any advice about what I should do next?

Post edited by dublinman1990 on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I have bad news my current issue with TV & combi box setup. I had tried to plug in a new 5 amp fuse for the TV. That job didn't work for me at all. There was no way to place a new fuse for the Triax combi box either. I am still stuck with issue of the TV having the dim screen while I carried out that small job on it a few minutes ago.

I checked wires for the Satellite & Saorview channels on the Triax combi box just now.

They both have a RF IN connection for Saorview & LNB IN connection for the Satellite channels.

If I was buying a new TV today online. Which TV should I purchase to support that setup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

You said you tried the blue ray player connected to the TV, and the issue was still showing, sounds to me like the TV isthe problem.

Yeah; you're right on this one. I was only given that TV from a TV repair man in Stillorgan about a year ago or something. And then it just conked out on me earlier without warning. That process was only a one off job when it was done as an emergency situation. However I think buying a new TV this time round which supports my current setup for the TV channels may resolve all of that trouble happening again in future.

I just want to ask for advice about the Triax combi box. I have a power unit that was brand new in the box when it was purchased in Dún Laoghaire back in 2012. It wasn't replaced since I bought it at that time. If I bought a new power unit that was compatible with the box; would it be guaranteed to work properly?

Could that box be responsible for allowing my TV to fail without warning? I am not sure if that failure issue would result with a potential wear & tear issue with the box when it was plugged into the JVC TV until it went dead this morning. The length of time that I used on my Cello TV wasn't really that long either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭swoofer

If the TV has more than one HDMI try that and switch the cable around. Now if that fails have a look at this tv, does sat and saorview and uses one remote. A lot of people like this tv. If not your cup of tea say why and I'll do a better recommend but budget is key.

https://powercity.ie/product/730322

• Advertisement

It's a nice set. However my current one also has a resolution of 720P. I paid about €80 when it was 2nd hand. Although personally I think it's a waste of money to pay an extra €100 to get a new TV with the same resolution on it when you compare it to the old one. I would say better value options would be available elsewhere. If I had a budget; it will be somewhere between €200 & €250.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭andy1249

My kitchen TV is a 43 inch Walker UHD 2160p model and cost about 300 last xmas.

Why would anyone pay 180 for a 720p TV these days ?

But you dont say how much exactly you paid. The OP has a 32" and a combo box. The spec I quoted is good value.

And as for 720p and 1080p put both side by side and no one can tell the difference. But feed same prog to your 2160 and it will look worse. Its all down to upscaling

For 249 I would go for this one.

https://powercity.ie/product/WPS2K402

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Off topic, and I don't know if it works on all devices. On my PC keyboard I put the cursor at the end of the link (after the 402 in the one above) and press Enter. That makes the link live in the post.

https://powercity.ie/product/WPS2K402

I wouldn't be content with paying for a 720p TV either. The fact that 1080p TVs and 4K TV are the norm these days makes decision like this go a lot easier in terms of good quality TVs available & longer lifespan etc if you had taken good care of it.

I had called my TV repair man in Stillorgan on the phone earlier today. He said to me that he was away somewhere & he said that would ring me back around lunchtime. But he didn't call me back at all since then.

This guy has his shop located across the road near DID Electrical in Stillorgan. I read some reviews on Google earlier today. One lady who went to him about fixing her TV had said in her review that she got info from a local fruit & veg shop that his repair business closed down about 3 years ago. I am not sure if that would have been taken as gospel.

The last time I had dealt with him to get this stuff resolved lasted about 3 weeks and that interaction with him happened around this time last year.

I had a smaller TV which lasted for about 5 & a half years in the house before it broke down on me at that time. He said to me in the previous exchanges on the phone that he tried to get new parts for it to get it working again. But that job was a complete failure according to him because the TV had a poor build quality when I bought it brand new from DID Electrical in 2018.

Would you think that 3 weeks was a reasonable timeframe in order to get it fixed at that time. In the next set of phone calls with him; he could recommend me to get a brand new TV from now on if my current one failed after a year. It could be a complete waste of time if I had went through this whole process again of maybe getting another 2nd hand TV into the house and having it to fail again in future.

• Advertisement

I just read some more of your links guys.

I want to ask you are Walker TVs more reliable and have a longer lifespan inside them when compared to a JVC TV?

Also would TVs sold from Power City offer better quality on models and price when compared to ones sold by DID Electrical?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭con747

Have a chat to Richersounds here on boards they might have something new that suits and they offer a 6 year warranty on most if not all tv's. Highly regarded here.

https://www.boards.ie/categories/richersounds-ie

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

lets put it like this, if you were buying a car secondhand you would look at =year and mileage to get an idea on usage. I would never buy a second hand TV = false economy.

so you need to say how many hours a day you will have tv powered on and then life expectancy can be gauged, also do you turn everything off the wall at night. I have tv's 20 plus years and main TV is 15 years and going strong.

As for 720p amd 1080p is a bit of a con. 4K tv is good if you are going to watch 4K content and that is only available via blu ray and streams like netflix/amazon. if you like sport sky do the footie but… cost.

Dont be taken in by hype.

Post edited by swoofer on

I have the TV on for about 12 hours every day. The TV is always plugged out of the socket before I go to bed. I've used it mainly to watch live sports events on FTA channels via Saorview. I watch other FTA content that is on Satellite Channel 4, Channel 5, BBC & ITV, Sky Arts etc. I do watch my favourite movies on it via Blu-ray as well. I have never used the current TV for streaming services though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Is that box wired to sat cable as i would be checking the F connector for burning marks due to water ingress and screwing picture up.

Box and tv are old and not up to date even though Teletext stopped on the Triax box.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Walker and JVC TV's are both made by Vestel so no real difference between them other than potential features and maybe a few cosmetic differences. eg. JVC don't tend to have satellite tuners that I've seen, unlike the Walker.

Are you suggesting that I have to call my TV installer on the phone in the morning to fix this potential water ingress issue with my F connector setup for the satellite dish.

Do you know what colours are present to imply a burning mark on the F connector which would connect to the dish?

Would these burning marks be present on the Saorview setup which is connected the aerial as well?

When water enters the sat cable and runs through the inside .

Black mark would be seen on the cable and if lashing rain water will be there and also have left a burnt mark on tuner.

If you remove the sat and Saorview cables Triax should work to see the menu on box.

Does the tv have a sat tuner and cable connected ? remove it ?

I would not be ringing up tv installer as all facts are not revealed as of yet

Well. I had carried your advice on further inspections on the TV and the cables for Saorview & Satellite TV. Everything was plugged out of it including the combi box and Blu-ray player this time round. The TV was still showing the darker screen on it.

I think the combi box may have run it's last legs as well.

I did check the F Connectors hooked up to the box. They were not showing any black burn marks on their cables at all. The connectors on those wires are not that old. They have only re-installed by the Satellite TV installer over 2 years ago.

I think I have exhausted every potential idea about what else could be done to fix the problem.

Will it be a good idea to call the TV installer in the morning or not to maybe replace the equipment with a new TV?

Its just a matter of ruling things out , no burn marks and other things removed from the equation.

Google your model tv for faults and as its that old might be time for replacement .

• Advertisement

The TV is a JVC 32'' LED Smart TV. It's model no. is LT-32C650 ©.

Here are some photos

F connectors look good and central core looks okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Just on the question of Walker TV quality I've a couple of them here, running for a few years now without issues, Toshiba (Vestel also). All with satellite tuners.

My first Vestel model, a Lidl Silvercrest, purchased around 2010, during pre-launch Saorview testing lasted about 12 years with no faults in that time. The only issue I recall with it was how dog slow it was to access Saorview's digital aertel but no such issue with the TVs I mentioned above.

The Vestel satellite TVs satellite channel list (satcodx) can be easily transferred between each other, tested on 2 Walker TVs and a Toshiba. Easier then having to manually sort the channel list on ever TV individually.

After following the thread I browsed over to Powercity to see what was available in new models.

Something caught my eye on the newer Walker range of TVs, TIVO Smart TV platform

Can anyone describe what this is?

From memory TiVo was a north American recording platform, subscription maybe?

https://powercity.ie/product/43241B

Thanks for all the photos, could you one of the picture you get on the TV and if you have a scart lead try that. tv is 9 years old and with 12 hours a day usage and being secondhand its had it. But powering off at wall at night is a no no for newer type tv's but its a habit and I bet you wont change even though you are reducing the life of your equipment. Hence mine lasting 20 plus yeas.

tivo smart is like google tv, voice commnads etc

I over bought a Sony Bravia with twin sat and Saorview tuners and did not like the channel arrangement and used a H7S triple tuner instead. Been a smart tv any app can be loaded and spend most of its time on an app like YouTube.

Do any irish electronic retailers offer same day delivery for TVs etc.

Or do they take 3 to 5 working days?

I also have a Sony Freesat/FTA TV, probably 12-13 years old now, still used in a bedroom, Never really liked the FTA satellite channel setup, not user friendly. It has a Manhattan Freesat box attached now.

• Advertisement

Just has a look at Powercity, next working day Dublin delivery is Tuesday next

Delivery (powercity.ie)

I went and collected tvs as needed , do a model and price comparison. I think all tvs i bought were from local DID with double the difference guarantee , bough tv put into car walked back into shop and said i can buy this tv cheaper. Walked out with a Ninja Foodi.

Good warranty is needed, know what tv you want and to save money only a Saorview tuner as a box you can record on is nice.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I've only briefly used one yet. It's basically the Smart Hub of the TV, akin to webOS or VIDAA used by Toshiba or firetv used by some JVC.

It's early days as to whether it's any good or not yet. I do know that the new Walker TV's with TiVo have the newer RTE Player that has live RTE channels, one thing I had noticed.

Advertisement