Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon WFH Policy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 boardsdotie44

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

100% agree in nearly all the cases where companies are going less and less WFH. Unfortunately it's is only a small minority thar have to mess it up for all to suffer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ive seen several examples of people saving on child care by bringing kids home from school and then proceeding about their working day leaving them on ipads. Or they dont proceed about their working day and juggle minding the kids and work, not doing a great job at either. Neither scenario is great imo. Maybe saves money but at what cost?

Can someone please think about the children :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭cr-07

I currently work for a relatively large MNC in the Midlands that recently announced something similar - an "office-first" mindset. Reading further in the announcement, they are looking for a 60-40 split between office vs WFH (3 days per week being in the office). This is coming from upper management not based in Ireland.

As expected, they seem to be getting quite a lot of push-back from employees. They state that it's to improve communication & collaboration, and gave some spiel about "brainstorming around the coffee dock". Everyone knows that the decision is probably due to one or more of the following reasons:

1. Micro-management
    2. Attempting to justify the office space
    3. Reduce head count

Now, they say that they are open to exemptions, but this will be a case-by-case basis, with the norm being 2 day WFH. They also stated that it will be 'phased in', and that we'll hear more in the following weeks/months. I have discussed with my manager that I can definitely be in atleast 1 day a week, and 2 days a week every 2nd/3rd week. They seemed quite open to this. (I live ~100km from the office).

I feel that a more fluid approach should be taken, and not a hard "you must be in Tue, Wed & Thur" approach. Give employees the flexibility. WFH is easily worth 20% of my salary, in my opinion.

The problem with this is that some people have down right refused to come to the office, ever. Even people who live within 5-10 minute walk of the campus. This includes some mandatory onsight days when WFH was the norm over the past year or 2 post-COVID.

Companies tend to give the standard spiel about caring for employees mental & physical health, and general well-being, but we all know this is complete guff.

With this new mandate, many employees are going to again have large commute times (3 hours per day). These commutes will have significant impacts on mental and physical health. Long, stressful commutes can lead to burnout, increased fatigue etc. Financial costs will rise due to seeking childcare, petrol/diesel/electricity. Employees with mortgages will find it difficult to relocate closer to the office, if they wish to do so. Funnily enough, this was a suggestion by my manager when I mentioned to him the long commute.

maybe you dont have any or yours arent important to you?

why would anyone pick a job outside Dublin and have a 3 hour commute, how many people actually have this kind of commute, doesnt sound credible. You see people taking a dublin job and living in wexford fair enough but not the opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

Do management care about the 20 minute rule when someone just disturbs you while working. Basically someone comes over to your desk and on average it costs that person who is disturbed 20 minutes to get back where they were with talk and get their mindset back where it was. End of the day they see arses on seat more important. Who can walk around with the biggest bundle of paper as must mean you’re very busy

Will Amazon insist that people log on when at home to suit them for whatever reason or as soon as you walk out that door your finished. Like everything there’s a give and take and if a company takes everything it just leads to no help when they need you

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭HurlingBoy

If companies want to make things fair and equitable for everyone they should tackle those that are non compliant rather than enforcing back to office on everyone. Companies don't want to do that and it leads to low morale i.e the worker that is complaint is totally demotivated when he\she sees fellow working not adhering to the WFH policy. Alot of people have taken up jobs in the last few year or moved location on the assumption of remote working but really this is not the employers problem. You can't have the best of both worlds i.e cheaper accommodation away from urban centers but salary reflective of location i.e Dublin salary and living 3 hours away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭con___manx1

If That happens it will be bumper to bumper traffic every day in dublin and the greater dublin area. Waste of peoples lives.

I think the hybrid model is best for everyone. Even the people who can't work from home as its less traffic for them aswell. I'm in that bracket myself.

Every Tuesday alot of people seem to work in the office and the traiffic is crazy.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Elder two are teenagers, younger is in primary but if the weather is good the youngest goes out to play with the neighbours, not as often when the weather is bad I'll grant you, but I don't mind the kids playing video games in that case, I did that after school and had no problems :) They all do sports/activities in the evening then when I finish work, something I couldn't support them doing when I was in a MNC where I was expected to be available pretty much all the time.

They know how to get themselves snacks and sure once in a while I need to go out to help with something or answer some questions, but you can be certain I'd get interrupted far more often in the office.

ive seen several examples of people saving on child care by bringing kids home from school and then proceeding about their working day leaving them on ipads. Or they dont proceed about their working day and juggle minding the kids and work, not doing a great job at either. Neither scenario is great imo. Maybe saves money but at what cost?

I'll grant you if they are very young kids, this is basically impossible for a job when you need to be always on. But keep in mind, some folks are happily working in jobs where they are monitoring systems, and pretty free until something blows up. Yes they "should" be working for the full 8 hours but this wouldn't change if they were in the office either. My last office before covid had pool tables and table tennis tables we were actively encouraged to use. Coffee breaks for one member of the team, usually resulted in all the team going down to the canteen for the chats.

Honestly, the way management portray it, in the office we were absolute bastions of productivity with zero downtime. The reality is for many, the productivity drops when compared to WFH. I go into my office maybe once or twice a month and I can guarantee you I spend half the day just chatting to folks under the guise of "collaborative brainstorming"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭sekond

Older primary kids I'd say. In the last couple of years of primary, on the days I WFH, my kids would make their own way home from school, let themselves in, grab a snack, do their homework etc. (and occasionally even bring me up a cup of tea). They weren't quite the age where they needed to be 'minded' as such, but also not quite old enough that I would have been comfortable with them letting themselves into an empty house. To be fair, they were also very good at knowing that I was working and shouldn't be disturbed other than an actual emergency. In fact, I find them less disruptive than a former workmate who was constantly either popping into me "for a chat" or standing outside my office having those chats very loudly with other colleagues.

On my WFO days we had an arrangement with a granny of a friend of theirs, who was also a childminder, where they would do similar at her house until one of us was free to get them.

Much better for them than being in a creche setting after school (which was where they were pre-covid, and loved it, but were definitely feeling "too old").

some people have jobs that would facilitate it, some dont but they do it anyway, but its a bit disinegenious for people to talk about disruptions in work and lower productivity in the office on one hand and to be caring for primary school aged kids while also supposed to be working from home on the other hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Yeah, as they say "This is why we can't have nice things"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This is the bigger picture.

The country has never had more people working, its been a long time since the population has been at this level, and our transport infrastructure (as well as many other aspects of infrastructure) hasn't scaled at all to meed the additional remands of a bigger population/workforce.

There's an overall environment positive consequence of blended/WFH - less traffic and all associated pollutants.

There's an overall experience positive consequence of blended/WFH that even those that cannot WFH get, as you state that is less traffic to contend with/quieter trains/busses etc.

However its hard to see how many companies despite their wall to wall wellbeing advocacy and wall to wall "we are green" advocacy taking any of this into account unless there's a significant positive in it for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

Some people are better at WFH than others. Sometimes by someone being WFH it makes things harder for people on site, plenty of examples where I am trying to get a record hard signed by 5 people. If on site I could door step them. Have it done on 10 minutes of lucky. With half them working from home I am scanning, emailing. Waiting for them to scan etc.

We are 4 years later and there are still people who don’t have a printer to facilitate print and sign from home. Incompetent either on purpose or unknowingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

I am very much in favour of it. We have a 2 days at home policy with flexibility. I regularly do 3 at home. If it was mandated for full time on site it would signal my start to look for a new job. Commute to long to be on site every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Everyone's experience is different depending on the industry and role so we're all probably talking at cross-purposes. I've worked for irish companies in the past and presently over a decade in a MNC in Ireland.

I keep my eye on the job market and no Irish companies offer close to my salary, maybe 20-30k below. Most MNCs do, some a little more than what I'm on.

In terms of my "best working conditions"

1. Subsidised restaurant-quality food in the canteen. Maybe a fiver for what you'd spend €15 on in a restaurant.
    2. Flexi-time - come and go as I please so long as the work gets done and I attend meetings (in person or online)
    3. Generous holidays
    4. Generous bonuses and things like One4All vouchers
    5. Clothes and other swag (it's branded with company logo, but it's still quality stuff)
    6. International travel to conferences and trade shows
    7. Bring your child to work and other CSR events which are well appreciated.

EDIT:

8. double matched pension

9. Salary sacrifice share scheme.

At the end of the day, I could get a job in an Irish company for worse pay and worse conditions. Maybe they'd care about me more as an individual. But if that means a worse standard of living and working till I'm 67 then forget about it.

I'm a fan of WFH, but if my company mandated 5 days in the office then I wouldn't kick up a fuss. I would still be better off in the long run.

Post edited by Padre_Pio on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

That is a great plan but what do you during to be school holidays?

There are children minding smaller children while parents work from home you can't really do both jobs that's could be solved by a employment contract saying anyone availing of WFH must have child care arrangmet made prior to availing of WFH.

I think two or three days in and two or three at home is fair.

A young person of my acquaintance was having a fit recently at something her work was asking her to do and couldn't get her head around the fact that if a company is paying you and they ask you to come to work wearing a bannana thats what you do.

No one can demand that there employer suit them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Digital signatures.

Also if an employee needs a printer to print / scan / sign documents, it is the employer who should provide them with it.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭vival20062

People can demand what they want. Whether their demands are met is another thing. Some people are in positions that it's in the companies interest to meet the demands.

They can request flexible arrangements and put a business case forward for the arrangements and be in a strong enought position to have them granted, however demanding something doesn't always go down very well.

I was just disagreeing with you that people can't demand things. Of course they can. You seem to agree anyway.

Not sure what a business case for employee demands would look like tbh. More a personal case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

With the rate cuts in the US, I think we will see more roles opening up but Covid wages are long gone now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

We’ve definitely seen the best days of WFH fulltime behind us now- 2-3 days mandatory in office will be standard fare. I know of a few Irish large Irish companies struggling to get people into the office even a few times a month - but I predict even they will turn up the heat - it’s always better to be seen in the office voluntary a couple of days a week rather than waiting on a 4-5 day mandatory order - that should be the thinking of all good manages right now - get your entire team into the office at least once a week - it may keep senior management “happy” - if you don’t , then expect a non negotiable demand for many more days in the office. Companies follow each other like sheep - WFH good yesterday - bad today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭sekond

School holidays - camps, days chilling at home with older sibling, days out with Granny and strategic use of annual leave for both parents. And strategic use of WFH days (e.g. my husband and I would make sure that our WFO days weren't the same, so that one of us would be home each day and we didn't need to rope Granny in too often). But as I said, that was when they were older primary age. When they were still a bit young for that - we did the all day afterschool camp. Paid through the nose for it too.

I do agree about younger children - if they aren't self-sufficient you can't be minding them when working (unless an emergency - I have no problem with one of my team minding a sick child at home every now and then, and logging on when they can).

I'm very lucky now that they are both in secondary school, they pretty much manage themselves and even occasionally cook the dinner for me.

digital signatures are useful but there are loads of scenarios where they dont work.

Bollocks.

We've been using them exclusively for five years now. Large government department. My bank uses them. My credit union uses them. Amongst others.

Some people will look for any minor excuse to be anti-WFH.

Also, as I added above, if an employee needs to print / sign / scan a document while WFH, then it is the employer who should be providing them with the equipment to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Tow

Zurich did that. The had leased laptops for WFH. When the following Christmas (2nd?) lockdown came around loads of staff got Covid and all the laptops had gone back. Their customer service was FUBARed for months, during their busiest time of the year.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Thats not the companies problem.

As more companies require in-office work, commuters will need to figure out how they get to the office. The number of companies offering 5 day WFH is likley to continue to reduce, to the point where most employees wont have a choice but to work in the office, at least 2 or 3 days a week.

What large irish companies are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Just quickly skimmed this article - as I finished work from home on one of my 2 days WFH.

One poster said working for US companies gives you the best of both worlds - US benefits and higher salaries but protected by Irish laws that US workers arent protected by. 100% agree.

I've had WFH for at least 22 years now. Always had to apply for the benefit and give a good reason. Always had 2 days. It started off with idiot managers messaging me every hour asking what I was doing. Eventually more and more people did it and it became normal. You applied for the benefit and it needed to be approved. It wasnt a company wide entitlement.

18 or so years later, Covid made me realise 5 days WFH was a terrible terrible extreme. Sure I had no commute but by that same reason I had no switch off. Walking past the laptop, checking emails, sending messages at 11:00 PM. Up in the morning at the same time as your commute starts, but instead of that time you are immediately in work.

Hybrid work is an excellent compromise. 3 days in, 2 days out is an excellent model. Another poster mentioned they went in for 1 day in 6 months and hated it….man you need to leave your job !!

Before Covid 5 days in the office was the norm. Bringing it to 3 had people complaining. HArd to understand.

Another poster mentioned about Amazon staff (desk) finding it difficult to get another role due to the high salaries Amazon pay. Nail on the head. FAANG companies are nearly an island at this stage. LEave on principle due to WFH requirements and watch your salary drop.

US companies (Amazon in this case) will all follow suit here. It's not to build culture. It's to encourage staff to leave. Quiet Quitting. No bad publicity, no redundancy payouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Jambonjunior

What happens if people don't comply? Would the company be able to let them go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

I can only speak for the place I work for but the company is performing better than they ever have pre Covid, incredible results in fact. It will be a very hard sell to try and force staff back in given the company’s performance. Staff are extremely productive overall at home as most want to prove that it works. There’s always going to be some people who take the piss but they do that at home or in the office so I don’t see the difference at all in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭caviardreams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

AWOL would be if they weren't working or just vanished. It would more be "you aren't meeting the requirements for the role".

Yeah. But what Amazon are hoping for is the easier option of people just moving to somewhere with hybrid hours. Cuts down on staff, of which many tech companies scaled up too much and saves them money. Rather than properly paying to get rid of them.

A great bunch of lads is our Amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Yes to digital signatures. Employees should not be printing confidential documents at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The reason we are inching to 5 days back in the office is because companies are coming to the realization that hybrid is bollix.

It was always bollix, companies trying to show that they were progressive and employees pretending that they were happy that post lockdown they had a bit of flexibility.

But it just upsets routines and work flows.

You start out Monday at home, then you have to up sticks on Tuesday, back home Wednesday, gone again Thursday and home Friday, or whatever.

Every location change takes a little bit of adjustment, not much, almost a micro adjustment, but enough to make you less productive than if you were in the same location.

100% WFH or 100% in office were always better than hybrid.

The best hybrid offering would have been a week in three weeks at home, thus the disruption is less, but this idea of certain days in , certain days home was just arbitrary.

So now companies are realizing this and because it's easier to bring everyone back than to allow or deny WFH on a individual basis they are getting everyone back.

Have you any sources for this or have you made up these claims?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Completely disagree with this. Have been on a hybrid model for a few years now, 3 days per week in the office the same for everyone. Zero adjustment required to WFH on the same days you WFH every single week. I don't like the office environment, open plan offices are too noisy, distracting, and frankly pretty overwhelming at times. I think a lot of people who have never worked for a large company would be shocked at the working environment, a lot of the time it's akin to working in the middle of a shopping mall. At the same time I appreciate that there are some benefits from being around your colleagues face to face each week, its better for relationship building and when highly collaborative work needs to be done.

I organise my week so that tasks that require deeper focus are done on WFH days where possible so that I can get in the zone and get through them efficiently.

A hybrid model where you can choose when you go makes no sense to me though, better to have everyone on the same routine so that you can plan accordingly for best days to have team meetings etc.

Totally my own opinion.

I've always argued that hybrid was never a sustainable model on the other WFH thread in the COVID forum.

I organise my week so that tasks that require deeper focus are done on WFH days where possible so that I can get in the zone and get through them efficiently.

But the only reason you have to organize the week and do these this deeper focus tasks as you call them on certain days is because your company has arbitrarily decided that you have to go into a office environment you don't like on certain days.

Why not let you stay WFH all the time and you could do those tasks any day of the week.

Equally anyone who preforms better in the office can go to the office every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭mcburns07

I suppose they consider it beneficial for the company for people to be in there a few days a week for the reasons I mentioned in my post. Like anything there needs to be a balance between doing whats best for the company and the employee. Both sides need to make concessions really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I realise this may not apply to most folks who WFH but one of the main arguments I have against going into the office now as well is the lack of facilities in it. I've 5 monitors including an ultrawide screen so I'm very capable of solving multiple problems at once and I can tackle issues far more effectively than I can with my tiny laptop screen and inevitably only half the monitors in the office are working. Ironically as well, when in the office and I need to join a call, I found myself unable to find an available room in the office to join said call. I have a dedicated office at home so that's never a problem there.

Stipends were given to set up remote offices and like some, I invested more of my own money as well to make myself more effective. The result is a far superior set up at home to anything I'm going to have in an office

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

No employer will want to make exceptions, it would be seen as favouritism. The fella who wants to WFH but is useless would claim they're being treated unfairly.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Im curious if many people in tech jobs in Dublin around COVID times ended up buying houses in the west of Ireland?

It was a thing during COVID, was in the newspapers as a trend that estate agents were seeing. People seemed to think that 5 days WFH were here forever. Even 2 or 3 days of commuting from west Clare to Dublin would be a huge drag.

Also a poster mentioned that when they go into the office 1 day a week or month, they spend the day chatting to people. I've seen that in my own workplace, because people haven't seen that person in ages and end up approaching them most of the day for a chat. Doesn't happen when you turn up most days, you're left alone to do your work.

• Advertisement

Not tech, but in Dublin. We lost quite a few staff at various grades when the return to the office was fixed at 2 days a week. One person I worked with had begun the process of buying a house in the West, another I know of had bought in Cork. Office in Dublin. WFH worked so well for us, that both had expected the most they would be asked to come into the office would be one day a week or even just one or two days a month, and they were prepared to do that much, but not more. They bought knowing they were prepared to leave, if it would be more than that. All have found alternative employment, with either full WFH or hybrid.

Advertisement