Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland and UK to host Euro 2028

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I haven’t seen anyone say there is a right for the island to retain the 4 games that were going to be held in Belfast. The initial indication is that they will be split between Ire, Eng, Sco, Wal. But no harm to throw Cork into the ring. Recently renovated, it would still need some upgrading to make it all seater. So feasibility and cost would need to be established. A long shot, but no need to rule it out too quickly and it would be great for Cork if it did happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I understand why politicians and the likes are getting behind it. Cost nothing to send a tweet as long as that's all they are doing.

But there does certainly seem to be an attitude out there in the general public that these are Irish matches and will be rescheduled to an Irish venue if we have one. People getting their hopes up massively about Cork being some sort of obvious choice and not an outside bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

the attractiveness of Cork is it would be relatively easy to bring the stadium up to UEFA standards (CatA?), and the stadium has already hosted a UEFA fixture so it has that going for it…..

To share a tournament between the 2 islands and only have 1 stadium being used on the smaller of the islands is criminal….. almost feels like Irelands involvement is token at best…

Adding Cork would give it that genuine hosting feel, as otherwise it’s just a few games in Dublin… would also make the tournament stadia map look a bit kinder to Ireland…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

It would not be easy, the ends are uncovered terraces. Bringing them up to covered seats would be very expensive to do and cork gaa and their fans want terraces anyway.

If you like to dream then indulge in this dream. But in real life, it’s never happening.

Ireland's involvement is token at best. It's not a case of feels like.

The English could host this alone easier than any other country but need us, Scotland and Wales for politics.

England have stadiums that don't need to be brought up to standard or patched up with haphazard seats because they are already there.

Looks like the rumblings are that the game swill now be shared between the 4 national stadiums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

Can't see it happening in Cork, unfortunately. The seat situation can be fixed, but I think the lack of a roof at both ends will put UEFA off. A pity a modern stadium wasn't built, instead of essentially rebuilding an old fashioned stadium

PuC is better the way it is. Stupid to have seats and a roof when a large section of GAA fans prefer the open terrace.

You would be making a stadium to suit the very rare occasion like the Euros.

That's a fair point. It's a gaa stadium and they can build it how they like. A modern stadium would have been much better for Cork though. It would be more attractive for other sports in the winter period. And also major tournaments. It's also a rare enough occasion that it's actually a full house in there for GAA matches.

This major tournament is the only one ever coming our way and there is no point in it being more attractive for other sports because soccer will never ever play an international in a rented stadium and that's about the only thing that it isn't already attracting.

And outside of seats and a roof it is a modern stadium. And both Cork and Munster fans like terraces.

Future opportunities for hosting tournaments can't be ruled out. There's also the chance to host one off UEFA matches, given how many Euro club tournaments there now is.

I wouldn't call it a modern stadium. A modern gaa stadium, maybe. The new main stand is nice, but the big ugly terraces at both ends and the lack of roof bring it down in that regard. It looks good when it's full, though. But even the old stadium did on a packed out Munster final day. The outside of it for most part isn't particularly pretty either. And much of the surrounding area is a kip.

• Advertisement

A lot of modern stadiums are kips on the outside or surrounding areas. That's got nothing to do with it being a modern stadium. Soccer is trying to get back to terraces in places that don't have them and lauded in the places that does.

It has everything a modern stadium has it's just not a shape you like.

The FAI would never put this forward for one off matches because they would use the stadium they own. It's a non runner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

For a GAA stadium it's very nice. It's hardly full once a year so I think the GAA went with an affordable option.

The area around is pretty nice and will be awesome in maybe 10/15 years.

Anyway it's a moot point. I've a feeling Uefa will just go for the simplest available stadium of which there's loads in the UK.

I do think it's a valid argument though to say we should keep Belfast's games on the island of Ireland.

Modern stadiums in northern Europe have a roof right the way around. Not sure if they could do a paint job on the terrace, but it could look a lot better, I think.

I know the outside of the stadium doesn't have a bearing on it. It's just unfortunate that practically the entire route out to there from the city is an eye sore.

Depending on how womans football grows, it could be a option for them. The game over the summer was very well received, even though the terraces were closed.

With schedule clashes and gigs etc, the opportunity is there for PUC to be the main alternative venue.

It's already an option for the woman's game. It doesn't need a roof for that.

Soccer is a winter sport which is why all modern stadiums have roofs. It doesn't make a stadium better or worse. PuC suits the sport it is built for. It also has fantastic viewpoints from all over the stadium including the terrace.

The CBB handling of the rebuild was a disaster and have saddled the place with a lot of debt. It may suit the sport it was built for, but largely due to the debt, they now want everything and anything in there. If it's use over the winter continues to grow over the years ahead, not having a roof at both ends will be pain. But as I stated earlier, it's a gaa stadium, and can do what they want. It's just not ideal given they're now having to branch out beyond their own sport. Since the rebuild it's probably been at capacity more for non gaa events.

The only viable tenant outside of Cork GAA is Munster rugby and they clearly don't view a fully roofed stadium as an issue for winter games.

Forgot about "maybe" some tournament in the future and tell me what sport or team do you see as a potential client that would only become available because of seats and a roof ?

It won't be the Irish soccer team or any one off UEFA game unless Lansdowne burns down.

It being fully roofed isn't a deal breaker(might be for a uefa tournament). It just makes it more attractive, and for sports over the winter, much more practical.

You can't rule out UEFA or Ireland either. UEFA are forever trying to expand both club and international football. It's perfectly reasonable to expect that there will be regular schedule clashes in the future, considering Lansdowne Rd is as shared ground.

It would cost the already broke FAI to play there. Munster have already said that moving from Thomond to a rented PuC doesn't make much money so yes I can rule out Ireland playing there. Also it would break promises made to premium and box seat ticket holders. Lansdowne is shared but it cost the FAI nothing to play there.

The FAI also vetoed big clubs like Barcelona playing friendlies in Thomond Park because they want everything in FAI owned ground so you can be fairly certain nothing will be sanctioned for PuC by them and in extension UEFA.

Rugby already happens and soccer is a no go so there isn't some potential customer out there.

Fair points about the current situation with the FAI and Munster. But that can all change in the future. Munster have said they have no plans to use it this season, but there's obviously an apatite for it and they have huge support in Cork. Having a stadium between the GAA and Rugby probably would make sense in Limerick, but that's never going to happen now.

The Barca game in Limerick was incredibly **** by the FAI. But I think their beef was they were trying to negotiate with Barca at the same time, for a game I don't think ever happened in Dublin? Cork City have said they hope to put some big friendly matches on in PUC , from next summer on.

And yes, I know all of the PUC stuff could happen without a roof covering the entire stand, but to me it just makes more sense in a country where the weather is often so bad, even in the summer, to have it. Not having It also makes it look a bit dated, even though it's new. I've been soaked in Thomand park on two occasions. Not sure why they didn't cover both ends. Maybe it was the cost? Maybe a lot of Rugby fans prefer it like that and to be wet?

• Advertisement

Says the boss of Dublin airport.

Pure clickbait.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭chrisd2019

yeah, he gives details of meeting UEFA reps in the article so has provided detail beyond what’s shown in the headline

Any chance you could post a link rather than a screenshot of a clickbait headline ?

Sure, just move all the games to Cork.

Thanks. Just had a read of it there and it's mostly him telling UEFA to be worried about it.

“I was giving Uefa an honest briefing on it [the cap], obviously we have the Euros in 2028, and they are like ‘do we need to make a decision to move that?’

Honest me hole.

He claims UEFA were worried about the cap during the Europa League final but that is surely pure horsesht once you consider Dublin hosts much bigger events like Paddy's Day. I don't believe for a second UEFA came to him and specifically mentioned the cap before that final.

The country also has 3 more airports within a 3 hour public transport journey of Dublin which is nothing to a sports fan. It's only Dubs have a nervous breakdown about having to leave the city to fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

A strange and negative way to put it. Ireland are involved and actually hosting games, there's nothing "token" about it.

A good chance of co hosting a Rugby World Cup in Ireland in the near future. Very close to getting the last one that was held in France, didn't get the politics right with the Scottish vote IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Ireland won't host the RWC in the future.

The quality of the recent and upcoming hosts means that Ireland is way behind.

Their bid for 2023 was a joke, it came third in the technical assessment behind SA and France.

The cost to upgrade GAA stadiums to turn them into white elephants would have been colossal.

And what we have seen with the bike shelter and security cabin in recent weeks and days we would not be getting value for money.

Casement Park was actually part of that 2023 bid also.

Hilarious that you make such a pronouncement as if it has already been determined. The next two men’s Rugby World Cup’s have been allocated to Australia 2027 and then USA 2031. After that Ireland could definitely be involved at the very least as a co host of the tournament unless you can tell the future? If so can you tell me the winning lottery numbers for next Saturday night Father?

Its hardly a Nostradamus type prediction to see the type of infrastructure we have here and compare it to the type of infrastructure being used for a RWC and suggest that we will not be able to host one.

As I said the technical report from 2017 about the 2023 bid was not good at all.

Of course Ireland could jointly host one by using the Aviva stadium like the Euro 2028 are, but there is no way Ireland could host on their own.

Who said Ireland would host a future Rugby World Cup on their own? We could co host and could potentially stage a World Cup Final depending on the agreement in the bid.

Also the population in Ireland is only going in one direction upwards. At some stage with population density the infrastructure may be in place to solely host a tournament like a rugby World Cup. Would be in the future so hard to tell for definite unless you are Nostradamus.

I misread your post, I didn't see the "co hosting", I thought it just read "hosting"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Here are winning numbers for the lottery

01    02    03    04    05    06    07    08    09    10    11    12    13    14    15    16    17    18    19    20    21    22    23    24    25    26    27    28    29    30    31    32    33    34    35    36    37    38    39    40    41    42    43    44    45    46    47

Unfortunately, in this content, they are co-hosting with the other numbers in the draw! Just messing !

• Advertisement
Advertisement