Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hezbollah pager explosions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,641 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Well if you bomb a school. hospital or as many homes as are bombed then you have to expect innocent deaths. It is not possible to use the excuse of '' command centres '' all the time. And besides the bombing there are videos of snipers shooting children, nuns, press, medical personnel and aid workers.

This is not an '' Ireland '' thread but I had plenty to say on all that in the proper threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Out of whiskey here unfortunately. Not enough supplies to comprehend this thread.

I know this is not "Ireland" thread. Plenty of blood on this nation's hand, isn't it. I've always kind of thought it's pretty rich to comment and judge others without actually facing their own problems.

Again, we are not allowed to discuss different matters on this thread. It's against the Charter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Of course. Out of arguments, calling the Charter. As usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Looks like something bigger than a pager this time...

Hardly a nuke though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭SeanW

It's amazing how far some will go to present actors like Hezbollah etc as not being the problem, not being the drivers of all of this.

But it's not surprising given that we've seen posters in this thread use the kind of language about Israelis that would not have been out of place in a 1930s Nuremberg rally.

I just checked the defintion of colony. From Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony

A colony is a territory subject to a form of foreign rule.[1][2] Though dominated by the foreign colonizers, the rule remains separate to the original country of the colonizers, the metropolitan state (or "mother country"), which together have often been organized as colonial empires, particularly with the development of modern imperialism and its colonialism.

A colony requires a Metropole. Israel proper (at least within the 1967 borders) cannot by definition qualify as a colonial venture because there is no Jewish metropole. Israel is the only home of the Israeli people, or nearly half the worlds Jews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭SeanW

The few Jews left in Iran are effectively subjugated, they live under Shia rule and probably have to pay a Jizya. Iran has made it abundantly clear that they want a Shia dominated Middle East. That's why the fund and arm proxies like Hezbollah and the Houthis down in Yemen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dmcdona

@SeanW

It's amazing how far some will go to present actors like Hezbollah etc as not being the problem, not being the drivers of all of this.

I guess it depends on what you define as "the problem".

Your view, I think, is that somehow, many "anti-Israeli" posters here somehow hate either Israel or the Jews. The jump is then made that those posters are therefore pro Hamas/Hezbollah.

For the posters I read and agree with, and for myself, the problem is that Israel is destroying Gaza and its innocent people, putting the entire Middle East on a war footing, promoting illegal settlements and land grabbing in the West Bank and now jeopardizing innocent civilians in Lebanon. Israel has also abandoned its own hostages and their families.

I couldn't care less if Hamas, Hezbollah and the IDF buggered off to some remote location and simply kicked seven colours out of each other until none of them was left.

Israel absolutely has the right to defend itself against the abhorrent acts of Hamas and Hezbollah- but not at the expense of innocents (of any and all sides).

A Jewish baby murdered by Hamas is no different to an Arab baby murdered by the IDF. They did nothing and yet their lives were snuffed out in an instant.

I agree with you Sean - Hezbollah is the problem, Hamas is the problem. But do you agree that Israel is also the problem?

And I believe Israel is the main driver in this - they have the weapons, the manpower and the might. And by God, they are using them.

"There is no difference between Hezbollah and Lebanon. Lebanon will be annihilated. It will cease to exist."— Israel's Minister of Education

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭mikethecop

using that twitter profile as a source of information is not a good idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Probably a big bunker buster type bomb or just a massive bomb hitting a base full of other bombs

Tactical nukes are only ever last resort .

The Jihadis have extensive and deep tunnel networks in the mountains.

Seems according to sources that hez are trying to go all out in the next 24 to 48 hours and launch a lot of missiles at Israel try to overwhelm the iron domes which it would.

Any significant loss of life would mean a decapitation of the regime in Iran would be necessary and the complete annihilation of Hezbollah, the IDF would take the gloves off.

Hezbollah have been offered several off ramps to end this and still can but they seem determined to keep escalating.

You have to admit the drive and conviction of groups like Hamas, Hezbollah, Iran, they couldn't care less how many of their own die, the more the better and if they themselves and their families are killed, better again.

The Iranians used clear the minefields in the Iraq war with volunteers running across them for the job.

Its just what popped up, other sources are available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Possibly. Killing terrorists and its leaders is one way to try and achieve peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Killing tonnes of civilians is a sure way to create people who will want to seek revenge on you and yours. It's just a circle of violence that some politicians like Netanyahu appear to live off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,319 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

My issue with the pager attack is the way it took place in a civilian setting, very much along the lines of a terrorist attack. Those holding the devices were blown up in their houses (presumably in front of family members), in cars, on public transport, in supermarkets, cafes and restaurants, in public markets etc. By any stretch of the imagination, it was grotesque and not a part of normal warfare. It was more along the lines of when the IRA and loyalist paramilitaries used to break into people's houses and shoot people in front of their wife and children.

• Advertisement

It's also another way to ensure they have more members to replace them. There was a retired Israeli soldier on YouTube saying that the future of Hamas was secured because relatives of those people killed in Gaza would be queueing up to join. Stealing the property of the people in the WB will also increase their numbers. Maybe treating people properly would be a better way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭Augme

No doubt the usuals will be along to justify genocide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The Jews in Iran are the biggest Jewish community in the middle east outside of Israel.

They aren't subjugated, but you know that. The people that are subjugated are in the West Bank. You ignored that Sean. I wonder why.

This is a great post. Unfortunately the apologists won't be able to admit that you are right. It has been pointed out many times that the Israeli right and the Islamists have a symbotic relationship- one needs the other to justify their policies. This is why Likud under both Bibi and Shamir were content to prop up Islamists in order to continue on with their apartheid policies. Let us not forget it was Bibi who held the mock funeral for Rabin.

Yet the Israel can do no wrong brigade will ignore this and apportion all the blame on the other side and make out that it is solely them that are an obstacle to peace.

• Advertisement

Israel have a "de-escalation through escalation" rationale, which the US agrees with…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

You make it sound like there is a huge jewish community there. In reality there are only around 8000 jews left in iran, out of an estimated 100,000, because the vast majority of them fled to israel and the US after the Islamic revolution.

They aren't subjugated by they are subject to travel and other restrictions, such as being prohibited from being a judge, or holding senior government or military positions. Also, their ability to teach in Hebrew is limited

If Sean's contention was right they should have all fled

So you admit they aren't subjugated. Yet according to Sean W Iran wants to subjugate and kill all the jews. I asked him why they haven't started with the Jews in Iran. He has no answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

So there's no good guys? Why do Irish people wave the Palestinian flag with such passion when such instances have taken place? Why do we hate the Brits for being colonizers but not the Arabs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

They are colonising the Palestinian territories, what part of forcefully evicting the indigenous population and allowing foreign "settlers" take their land and property confuses you? Just because you either agree with it, or just don't care because you think you are scoring imaginary points against "the left" by excusing it, doesn't change the fact. You're like a broken record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

They mostly did all flee though? A few thousand, mainly older people, are left. They can't live freely because they are actually in an "apartheid state", unlike in israel where jews and arabs are equal. There are more Iranian jews in Los Angeles than in Iran. Ask them how they feel about the current iranian regime -spoiler alert, its not positive.

Similar to many Lebanese people abroad, they hate Hezbollah. How many people have fled from the Lebanon due to hezbollah? How many have fled from Iran? How many have fled from Israel? I'm sure that one is less than the others..why? It's a total mystery 🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Cordell

I think you're losing focus here. This is not about Gaza and Hamas, whatever contrived arguments that can be made to support their terrorist activity against Israel won't work in this case. Hezbollah is a foreign terrorist organisation operating from a foreign country who tolerate them, so any kind of attack is 100% justified. This is Iran using them and a proxy and if you know what is good for us European people at least in this war you need to support Israel, just as I hope you support Ukraine.

The Jews and Arabs are equal in Israel? Really?

I thinks this topic of discussion was dealt with extensively in a previous thread. But here's a BBC report from 2021:

Israel committing crimes of apartheid and persecution - HRW (bbc.com)

Not sure who you are replying to but I don't think there are any posters here that "support their terrorist activity against Israel". Conversely, most posters here are against Israeli terrorism against its neighbours and the Palestinians.

I have absolutely no idea how you can conflate the actions of Ukraine with those of Israel and why on earth would "us Europeans" need to support Israel?

@Danzy

Any significant loss of life would mean a decapitation of the regime in Iran would be necessary and the complete annihilation of Hezbollah, the IDF would take the gloves off.

Almost sounds like you're willing the IDF to go all in?

Its unlikely the IDF could do anything more horrific, depraved and abhorrent than what they have already done to innocent civilians (on all sides) - at least to normal, moral people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

They are classed as a protected minority in Iran. There are dozens of Synagoues in Iran. While they do face discrimination, which i'm not defending by the way, Sean's claim that Iran wants to kill all the jews doesn't seem to hold up when you consider these facts. As i said it's wrong Iranian Jews are discriminated against- Just as it's wrong that Palestinians are discriminated against.

I think Cordell believe Israel is fighting a battle on behalf of us. Bibi is fighting for no one but himself . He has shown he cares little for anyone but himself. He and Sinwar have that in common. If there was any justice they'd both be in a dock someday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭volchitsa

This is funny: on the same thread, within a couple of pages, I've been accused of being a Sinner and a Loyalist supporter.

I'll leave you all to fight it out over which one I am. Assuming you don't actually believe both can be true simultaneously. 😁

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Israel has been called out by the UN, ICJ, Red Cross and many other worldwide agencies for their war crimes. I really can't see how anyone can support their actions or the death tolls they have caused among innocents especially in Gaza. Can't get my head around it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thereiver

I read this is a breach of international law if you plant explosive devices in items that may be used by civilians but of course the IDF bombs schools and hospitals so they have past the point of caring

Meanwhile upper class people are leaving Israel

Doctors tech experts programmers highly qualified people who can afford to move to country's where there is no war Israel,s economy depends on elite workers to keep it's tech company's going

Eventually a new government will be elected and they will have to reach some peace agreement with Hamas and the Palestinian minority

This is a gamble they are hoping they can force Hezbollah to move back and stop attacking border areas will to his work who knows

Do they intend to invade Lebanon

Who knows

Even Israel has a limit it cannot continue this war for years

Hezbollah is still able to launch 150 rockets in one day

Its hard to see a rational peaceful resolution to this crisis

You do know that Netanyahu is the head of Likud, right?

But in case you think there's some sort of attempt at avoiding the question, no I support neither Likud nor Netanyahu's supporters within Likud. Being neither Jewish nor Israeli I wouldn't position myself really anywhere on their political spectrum, but I have a great deal of sympathy for the hostage families' position, and from the little I know of him, Benny Gantz seems like an honourable man.

However the strange comment about the IDF makes me suspect your good faith. The IDF are not a force unto themselves, so there is no reason why I would support them. Because they don't have their own political position. They're the defence force of a democracy, not a political power themselves, like Hezbollah or Hamas.

As I've said before, I absolutely think anyone guilty of illegal actions within the IDF should be punished - and I'm well aware that that doesn't always happen. But genocide? Grow up. South Africa is already trying to postpone the deadline for submitting its evidence. I wonder why.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Of course it's Genocide. The means Israel uses to achieve it's goals proves this. Their mindsets are genocidal too. Here's a little article I read not long after the Israelis entered Gaza and began their actions which were Genocidal and clearly so to many independent people -

https://www.cadtm.org/Trying-to-understand-the-genocidal-drift-of-Israeli-society

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Israel are out of control, no one has influence over them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Jizique

Most of those organisations have lost their right to comment - the UN is completely pointless at this stage, they sill have Russia in the Security Council, everything is "can we all not just get along and take loads more 3rd world refugees" while listening to another MD Higgins speech extolling their own virtues

So has Israel though. Defending itself by killing 15k kids. Why would anyone listen to them commenting on what is right or wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Jizique

Does anyone? Everyone detests them, particularly people who have zero skin in the game and no understanding of the underlying issues but feel the need to take a side

I detest those who commit atrocities. Who doesn't? Killing 10s of thousands of innocents muslims is as bad, if not worse, as killing a thousand innocent Jewish people. I'm not sure why some try to justify murdering of innocents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

No country that has had terrorists attacks, has gone after the innocent people who share the nationality of those terrorists, except Israel.

I don’t think it’s far fetched to believe that Israel enjoys the support of the United States because it funds the politicians it can and blackmails the politicians it can’t. Reading memoirs of senior Israeli intelligence personnel will confirm this. For example Clinton was threatened with the Monica Lewinsky scandal before any Starr investigation.

Who knows what kompromat Epstein and Maxwell compiled over their decades of work.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/netanyahu-said-to-have-offered-lewinsky-tapes-for-pollard/amp/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I'd say that opinion piece is written by someone drawing tenuous, at best, connections, based on some extrapolations of the works of a renowned Marxist (Ernest Mandel)

And he blames Brown International as a threat to society - who is that?

They also still have the United States on the security council despite multiple illegal invasions, regime change, funding terrorism, supporting regimes like Pinochet’s Chile and Pol Pot’s Cambodia.
    Permanent security council membership may have more to do with historic nuclear status rather than based on morality.

When you go through history, the most of horrific stuff committed, was done by religious beliefs led by some muppets who chose themselves as a speakers of fictional beings. 

You might find that secular ideologies have been responsible for the odd death too.
    Facism, communism, nationalism, imperialism.

Typical answer. But we really didn't have to rely on any of them to say it because we saw it ourselves live on our tv's. The even murdered the Press reporters any chance they got to stop them reporting their evil deeds. Now I believe they have again stopped Al Jazeera from filming and broadcasting too.

Gosh I must have imagined where the US invaded Afghanistan, killing about 70,000 civilians, and leaving tonnes of unexploded ordinance in the fields and elsewhere, as a direct result of a terrorist attack by a tiny group of people who were just living in Afghanistan, not even the act of the Afghan government, contrary to Hamas in Gaza. And also Iraq - something like 200,000 civilians killed as a direct result of the war started by the US for no good reason really - not even a terrorist attack.

Or there's particularly the second Chechen war, starting in 1999 after alleged terrorist attacks in Moscow. That killed an estimated 25,000 civilians, with several thousand more still missing - and that's just part of the Russia-Chechnya conflict in recent times. Moreover the bombings were probably actually set up by Moscow to give them an excuse to invade Chechnya in the first place - but hey, those Jews right? Much worse.

Because of course it's totally different when the Jews do it. Nobody has ever done anything as bad as them. Even when they have. 🙄

• Advertisement
Advertisement