Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon WFH Policy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The attitude to work Matrix can be funny one person said to me today that as long I'm one up from whoever is at the bottom of the pile I'm grand with that.

Yet one of mine always says they are not interested in going above and beyond but only want to be one level below that mainly for the pay rise and perks but they are also very conscientious about their work.

I was in a complicated customer service call recently and in the background, I could distinctly hear a child hammering on a door and calling their mother didn't give a good impression of the financial institution.

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

And the laughable thing is, there are those who continue push the idea that all this added stress is supposed to be "better" for you! 😀

It doesn't make you right either. We all know how averages work.

All you're doing now is doubling down on your position that anyone who says that they have a long commute or can be as productive (if not moreso) at home as in an office, is an outlier, (or a liar). Well, you can believe that if you want.

And yes, I did actually turn down a promotion recently, as I now value my work/life balance - and my physical and mental health - more than a few extra quid in the bank at the end of the month. Something the pandemic opened my eyes too.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

My company implemented the same full return this year with no evidence of any issues in productivity. It was simply the ego maniacs at the top who feel uncomfortable not seeing their vanity project office space filled with miserable people

This is such BS.

Do you really think that the senior management of your organization delighti n the office full of miserable employees because they had some affinity to the actual building ?

I know it's cool and edgy here to beat up on management and go on about how stupid they are and how we employees are far smarter, but what you posted is just pure shyte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Again, you're missing the point.

They can monitor in-office work. Not perfectly, but they can monitor it more effectlvley than if you are working from home.

You can't watch netflix in the office or check out holiday sites for half an hour without someone in the office noticing.

Much easier to do either of the above from home and without anyone noticing.

Not speaking from personal experience here as I am not a manager, but I can understand why managers would prefer the office work in this example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The stats are likely skewed due to fast rural commutes, and people traditionally understating their commuting time.

The recent case with wrc and WFH that failed was 5hr round trip.

Which shows that all the productivity metrics and new legislation mean nothing. A company or organisation can do whatever they like when it comes to WFH.

"... 37% of Americans admit to watching TV and movies at work…"

The stats suggest people aren't being "noticed" at work. There's was even a fraud case that revealed someone taking hundreds of photos of their work screen in an open plan office without getting caught. We used to block the crossword sites at work in the early days of the internet so many people used to be on them.

The people you think are watching others in the office simply are not.

Ultimately you can simply block all these things from the computers then monitor productivity and output. But then you can also do this with remote staff. So that's a catch 22 for that argument.

Not that it's matters. if you are ordered back to the office there is nothing you can do. Other than leave of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I’m not sure you do know how averages work, and a promotion is detrimental to your mental health, no wonder you want to hang around at home dossing 😃

"Most" posters on this thread have not said they have commutes at the extreme end.

Not much credibility in making personal attacks about mental health.

"…57% of people would be willing to reject a promotion if they believe it will have a negative impact on their work-life balance – which was the top influencer of job satisfaction..."

Meet a lot of people these days who don't want to sit in more meetings, or feel promotion is no longer worth the trade offs.

Indeed when they tried to do salary sacrifice or block or offer promotions to get people back to the office it failed. So now it's the ultimatum of dismissal.

Post edited by Flinty997 on

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

In your opinion. In mine 100% WFH works for some, not all, 100% office works for some, not all, and hybrid works for some.

I couldn't do 100% WFH due to the nature of the job and my personality but 100% in the office wouldn't work either, but some of those scenarios work for others.

People in this thread seem to really struggle with the idea that what works for some doesn't work for others.

I know people who worked 100% from home in well paid jobs long before Covid and it worked for them, In know others who tried over Covid and it didn't.

attacks about mental health? Behave

And I don't really have time for this nonsense about declining a promotion personally but hey that's just me!

That's not true, you have goals and outputs, KPIs etc, it is very simple. I don't give a sh1t if my team take a 90 minute lunch to watch a Z movie on Netflix, so long as work packages are completed on time and if they aren't it is highlighted in time with reasoning.

Over the years I have seen plenty of mindless drones sitting at their computer doing nothing and idiot managers thinking they are working hard. Good managers know that being there 8am to 6pm in a 9 to 5 job does not guarantee a good worker.

My daughters old company were a weird one, they were really driven by metrics, it was an insurance company. Over Covid, my daughters metrics sky rocketed, as did others. Covid died down and they started to get pulled in, both for "morale" and training of new staff.

Within a month, they noticed the days people were on site lead to a drop of between up to 70% in productivity for some people. Did they give people an option, mandate only in office for training new staff, nope, they doubled down and pulled them all in full time after a few months.

My daughter left, same money elsewhere, on site all the time, but the funny thing was for her, she is happier where she is. It wasn't about being on site, it was the management style. Loves her new job, but my god, it really highlights Peters Principle in regards middle management in large companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Absolutely

Everyone is different and there is no correct answer to the question of whether WFH or in office is better.

But my point is that "forced" hybrid is bollix.

Why force someone who works better from home into the office for the sake of it and why force someone out of the office if they don't want to.

• Advertisement

My current commute is 3 hours door to door. I love my job but I am not young anymore, as soon as a job I like comes up locally, I will take a 50% paycut. I want to be more awake for my family, the days of my job being everything are gone for me. I am 3/2 split at the minute but if my boss aid it was 100% back in the office from next month, I would say no, I will continue fulfilling my role above expectations, and if they want to let me go, we will cross that bridge.

Sorry I misunderstood your post, I would agree with this one. Alas my position and those under me can't work from home 100% but they can do some. If someone said being in the office all the time is best for them, that is what they get (have 2 like that) and almost everyone else is 3/2 split but some weeks it is 2.5/2.5, some weeks it is 4/1. So long as the job is done.

I know one person whose office went 100% WFH, they quit and got a job working 100% in the office, because they preferred that.

Where I am some have chosen 100% in the office. Guess the people in Amazon won't get the option. Well other than not going back.

I can tell you that if 4 out of 10 staff watched movies in our office, it would most certainly be noticed; but sure, give it a go if you think nobody is looking.

Your constant talk of "if" productivity was digitally monitored is irelevant, because it is not digitally monitored.

Your one correct point is that if you are ordered back to the office, you have no choice.

That they can create these stats means it is tracked. That's it's not being acted on its what I've been saying all along. If you think seeing someone in the office is a meaningful substitute your mistaken.

There are also statistics that show the majority of RTO mandates are primarily intended to get staff to leave.

What's interesting is that studies indicate it's usually the senior people and/or most experienced, skilled who leave.

You'll have to join the dots on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Soc_Alt

Its Already started . Traffic on the motorways is getting very heavy.

I'm not sure companies are using this ploy to get people actually into the office or to make people decide to leave the company based on the policy.

I'm not talking about Small to medium companies.

I'm talking about corporate giants who plan to make global decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Soc_Alt

I don't believe this.

People already said that there was no change of mandatory returning to office yet here we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I have heard of employers insisting on 100% office attendance and trying to soften the blow by saying "We have no issue if you want to log on from home during the evenings or at weekends."

The only catch being that they don't pay overtime….

Its going to be blended working too many advantages to the employer in having some WFH.

one of mine her employers have given up a whole office block because of blended WFH, it's got more monitored though and they must attent 2 days a week and thr employer uses the employees security pass to check times they are in the office.

Its fair and transparent system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Where I work, which is very hybrid and flexible, with thousands of employees, we run semi-annual polls which consistently show that the clear majority want to maintain the flexible and hybrid approach.

However the many managers and directors I've talked to with few exceptions have either a preference to go to the office or feel pressured to be there.

Not demonising management, but if we took a straw poll among employees and a separate poll among managers regarding office attendance - I guarantee two different results.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭the14thwarrior

i work for a company that gives no options, except during covid and as soon as it was over back to office.

as a manager some of my employees could be trusted completely but most i could not trust. Sad but true.

know people that work from home and

• clean house, put dinner on, pick up kids from school
    • go swimming four days a week (and pretend they are on a short lunch)
    • get a bit of gardening in, laundry on
    • catch up on movies, etc
    • turn computer on and have a hour breakfast, check work, have shower, check work etc.
    • "start" work at 7.30 but really………..
    • the list is endless.

as a manager, you allow one, you must allow all

if you allow them before they have children, you must continue it. becomes a hybrid child minding etc. no doubt. seen it, heard it, cant do two jobs.

the idea that people can force companies who pay them to allow them to work from home is entitled and stupid.

to find a company that works for you, and allows it, go for it

ironically i worked from home during covid, put in more hours , ate dinner whilst doing work, started earlier and later and generally they got a lot out of me. too much……. it was an emergency but if I had to do it, Id put better boundaries into place

So ironically, you yourself admit to working harder, longer and being more productive for your company when you were WFH, but don't trust anyone else to do the same.

From reading the above, it's the controlling micro manager style that people don't want to work with, and will look to leave companies for. .

Full disclosure, I'm guilty of "putting the dinner on" while working from home. It takes me about 30 seconds to walk to the fridge, take out a chicken, and another 30 seconds unwrap it, and put it in the oven. (Please let me know how much I should reimburse my employer for).

(eta) Also, where I work the "you allow one, you must allow all" rule does not apply. WFH is awarded based on the type of work being done, not the person doing it. If you're assigned to a role or a unit with the type of work that can't be done from home,(e.g. public facing) you won't be granted WFH, even if Mary in Accounts can WFH 3 days a week.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Odd.

Large company, several thousand people, everyone had to work fully from home for 2 years. Aggregate KPI's showed no decrease in productivity. Management decided to keep the policy requesting employees come into office only one day per week (optional, not mandatory).

YEAH, I'm a manager and i worked hard. and some of my staff would do the same.

but no way would i trust the other half. there is nothing ironic about it. i have to manage a lot of staff, you don't get the fact that one rule for one, is one rule for all. think a bunch of snow flakes amid a lot of solid snowmen

simply no………and as a manager can't run the service with half people at home

and i had a different job working from home.

oh in the office i get to work and stay longer, and see who leaves early and who doesn't micro management? try working a week in the public service and get jobs done. don't worry, i tend to let staff go early when i can as a treat, on bank hols etc. but the amount of shi£ that goes on WFH is insane.

In my over 30 years as a civil servant, and a large team, I find that staff who are over-managed, or micro-managed, are those most likely to feel un-motivated and under-appreciated at work, and the least inclined to give their best to their work.

Maybe a different approach might improve service delivery. A little more carrot and a lot less stick.

• Advertisement

Some companies have measurable goals and metrics, many do not.

And even if a team does have metrics & was hitting their numbers, a lot of managers still wouldnt want their staff watching netflix; maybe yours does, good for you. But many do not.

Most businesses would want their staff to hit higher numbers with the time they are being paid to work.

People tend to cite their own working example and apply the logic to all businesses, forgetting that all businesses do not operate in the same way.

hey good for you. sounds like you are doing a fantastic job.

also sounds like you think you know me and my staff. which you don't. so don't offer me management advice you know nothing about.

fact is if you find a job that allows WFH and you want that, or can manage that go for it.

until then, WFH is a great benefit to some people, but by no means should be viewed as an entitlement.

There's always that person who you can never get to do anything. But thats the same in the office. WFH didn't invent them. They are outliers though. At least where I've worked.

But on the flip side there's always reliable people who get work done when ever you ask them, that's regardless of whether they are in the office or at home.

Doesn't really matter though they can just drag everyone back for no reason and nothing you can do about it. We still have some senior people who want WFH.

But we've lost quite a bit of flexibility, and I can see people pulling back on their own flexibility.

No, I don't know you, but I am familiar with people who share your mindset. You also assumed I had no public sector or service delivery experience, when I have decades worth.

I and everyone on my team still WFH. No one - at any level - is expected to WFO more than 2 days per week, and there is flexibility around that. If anything, since WFH was introduced both staff morale and service delivery has improved. We had to adapt fast during lockdown and new practices were developed and have been built upon since. We continue to be highly productive and if we weren't, I can assure you we'd soon hear about it.

And where did I say WFH was an entitlement? It is not. It does not form any part of the CS contract of employment - either pre or post pandemic. I actually mentioned specifically that WFH is role dependant.

I feel genuinely sorry for any staff in any workplace, either public or private sector, who have to work under managers who clock watch, micro-manage or who feel the only way to manage staff is to keep them on-site, because otherwise they can't be trusted.

I would run out of a place with that kind of culture. I certainly wouldn't be going the extra mile for them.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

While all of the above may be true the most important issue trying to provide child care whilst working which should not be happening except in an emergency.

it's not your job to sort it out as a manager you job to make sure people do there job by supporting them to their job.

if they are not doing there job start disciplinary procedures that's it, you appear to be way over involved in you job.

I wouldnt take management advice from someone who says they turned down a promotion (assume to management) as they didnt want the hassle.

Core learnings from this thread:

Managers have no idea what they are doing

People are way less productive in the office because …. disruptions

They can be 100% more productive while minding their kids, making their dinner, doing their chores

etc etc.

With all the time back and all the chores getting done and savings in childcare is it any wonder they are afraid of their lives to go back to the office?

Honey, I've been management for a looong time.

But you keep up with the little passive aggressive digs! They show everyone who you really are. 😉

accuse me of passive aggressive and then call me honey 🤣

I'm only relaying what you have said yourself, you 'declined' a promotion did you not?

I am all for supporting people and for flexibility but nobody should be supervising children while WFH while you are working it's the same as being in the office you not available to supervise children.

Thats the sort of issue that put employers off providing WFH.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I’d guess that awkwardness is based on resentment from the office based staff rather than diminished social skills from the WFH staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

The thing I find kinda depressing about this debate is that pretty much everyone I speak to says they are more productive working wherever suits them best. I've yet to hear someone say "I'm more productive at home but prefer being in the office" or vice versa. Opinions on this are pretty much universally self-serving.

However, my view on it is that the genie is out of the bottle and it's not worth the time, effort and disruption it causes to force people back into the office 5 days unless you have very clear and conclusive evidence that it's beneficial. And I've yet to see anything conclusive one way or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Lets be honest though, the resistance to this is giving off the same sort of vibes that we hear of happening when unions fought to get weekends off, and upper management screamed and shouted that it was a massive dent in productivity.

But the reality is that it makes for better society. Working continues to evolve with new technologies to further enhance productivity and people who rail against WFH may very well be the people 30, 40 years ago who railed against computers coming into offices as it's different and would enable people to now play solitaire at their desk instead of work.

The trick here, as said before, is getting the process in place to enable performance tracking remotely. Employees want flexibility, and are searching for it actively. Companies that invest in the ability to offer this are going to get first pick of a lot of candidates.

Those fighting WFH are starting to smell a little of "we have worked this way for the last 20 years, why change?!" but change is how you evolve and those that don't change inevitably eventually collapse.

Yes people who WFH can go and put the washing out or go and pick up kids from school, but ultimately, if the work is getting done, that's what should be important. These "perks" again are no difference from when computers arrived and people all of a sudden could access the internet and you can be certain that folks do access the internet in work for leisure but you can be certain that overall, it improved productivity with the ability to send email, look up information, interconnected systems etc. People are more effective, even with access to things management are afraid of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1 clickser

Some utterly laughable weak inputs by managers here. God help your staff.

You lads are rowing against the tide. The days of corporate overlords is coming to an end.

"I'm so great I worked so hard when I was WFH, but I don't trust my staff to do the same". Such puke inducing corporate bootlicking bs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

We had a sales exec dipshit in last week talking about coming onsite to do their job and how they wanted everyone onsite. Sure why you're travelling home you can call into a customer on the way home and make a sales pitch.

I was just looking at them thinking what a bunch of dinosaurs. Within 10 years big companies won't even have sales execs since it will all be done via AI.

You'll simply have an AI with guidelines on sales prices, your customer AI will contact yours and other hardware companies with a quote for 3000 laptops, 500 storage servers, 500 AI servers and whichever one gives the best price will get the deal. All done within seconds. No need to be paying millions out sales execs, or in bonuses.

And I work in AI..you'll still need developers, intent programmers, prompt engineering etc but the top level sales execs..they're gone but they don't see it yet. They only see the bottom feeders but you can be sure that the CEO's etc all see this in their heads already. Hell with how fast technology is changing it could be 5 years.

More and more of these massive companies will become more automated.. execs and senior management are severely at risk and they know it. Its one of the reasons they're mandating RTO as well.

1. to force people to leave and reduce separation costs
    2. to keep themselves in jobs..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

Spot on, some of the posts here are unbelievable. It actually says a lot more about the managers posting here than their employees.

I am glad I do not work for the14thwarrior that is for sure!

Yes, I did. Strangely, people turning down promotions happens all the time.

Do you always try to belittle anyone who turns down a promotion?

Very true, but because you can't discriminate against people WFH with kids at home, you need to have everyone in the office to avoid folks working from home with kids present.

That's not the fault of the employers though, they don't make the laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

When Covid came the company I work for naturally mandated that we all work from home. That was grand. The job got done but my oh my, what an eye opener. It gave me so much more time to spend with my young daughter. I wasn't spending hours in the car each day commuting (almost 1 hour each way).
    I eventually changed company and the one I work for now has a fully remote contract which I'm on. My plan is never to go back to the office full time. My job can be done remotely and done well, there is no need to have the team in the office full time. Having the ability to drop my daughter to school and collect her is immeasurable to my well being. Working from home was an eye opener onto how much I was missing out.
    We still have the occasional day in the office and everyone gets on grand and enjoys being around their teammates but most look forward to being back at home the next day.

Depends on the job, some are paying for your time, some are paying for the job, there is a difference a lot of Irish middle managers don't realise. If I am a barman or a calls agent, I am being paid for both my time and my expertise, so yes, I have to be there, from open to close. Both have metrics, aside from being there, A bar person, to be able to take multiple orders, no till errors, keeping waiting times down, etc. It won't be written down obviously but it will be noted. The call agent could be number of calls, ratings, number of retentions etc.

On the other hand, if I am a researcher on a project for work, yes there are meetings that I have to be around for but the metrics are normally on various time scales, and so long as I am on track, whether I take no lunches or I take two hour saunters, does not matter, so long as by Friday KPI1 is hit and in two months we have completed work package 1 and 2. Yes they could work more but it is not a requirement, so long as the minimum is getting done. They may do more to make themselves more attractive for the next role or to set up a new project but as a manager, while there bonuses or attractiveness for the next project increases, it is not a requirement for the current position. If they want to go light on work from 3 to 5 for childcare and catch up in the evening or the morning, I don't care, so long as at or before the deadline, the appropriate report is on my desk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement