Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IBF HW title fight Wembley. AJ v Dubois September 21

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Voted for DD on the BBC sports app today, only 24% went for DD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Very impressive in the end from DD. Under fire and so composed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Fury and Joshua pissed away tens of millions not fighting each other. Now that fight is dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Too many here believing in the Sky sports Golden goose.. time to pack it in...

Hopefully he doesnt embarass himself again in his interview

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Joshua s defense was truly awful. Was DD great or was AJ brutal? Bit of both probably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Delighted. Aj doesn't like getting hit. Aj legacy, my hole.

How did DD get knocked out with a jab/hook from Usyk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Your most cogent post ever on boards. Fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Exhaustion.

He showed decent stamina in the miller fight but outside of that one fight Dubois has always looked very ragged as fights draw on into the latter rds.

People say Joshua is like Frank Bruno. Personally think that's a bit harsh on Bruno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Glass jaw job

AJ went out on his shield. Went out firing.

Just shows how quickly boxing can change, Look at Joyce now losing to Chisora while Dubois is smashing Joshua at Wembley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭GHendrix

I still had doubts about AJ even though he’d done ok since his Usyk losses.

But think tonight again showed that he’s just too stiff, a bit weak mentally etc

Has very little innate composure skills and survival skills

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Don't know why a lot seem to be very suprised about this but I honestly wasn't, Dubois was on form and can punch, very good jab, he's a hell of step up from the last four AJ opponents, really it was AJ's first real test since losing to Usyk and he came up short, badly.

Glass Jaw Joshua.

An incredible photo.

Fighting Zhang was such an all in move for his career could have been a jackpot move but in the end he lost all.

Zhang Vs Dubois would be a great fight. Hard see it happening unless Turki makes them a massive offer.

• Advertisement

Joshua's career is done. He's not recovering from that beating. Wilder was done after the 3rd Fury fight and look what happened to him. At least we saw some new blood emerge into the division.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭GHendrix

Ah surely this can’t be a rematch! How can a challenger walk out 2nd and have a rematch clause???

Let Dubois have his shot at Usyk or Fury. AJ has plenty of other fights to take

AJ landed very little clean power punches. Quite surprising.

Joshua just needs to go away now and retire....

Its that simple....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I'm sure Eddie is already back stage working on how he can squeeze another buck out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

Probably do Fury v Joshua for the last big payday if Fury is beaten again by Usyk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭bugler

I think we know the answer to that - money. I haven't really been watching much live boxing over recent years but paid for last night. It was good entertainment. A few thoughts, about the general set up and the fight:

• The Saudi aspect. Well, sportswashing is real. The Saudi national anthem being played at Wembley prior to a fight between two British heavyweights?
    • The ref was dire. I guess occasions can get to refs as well as fighters. Seemed too keen to try and ensure a "fair" fight which Dubois caught the brunt of, missed the blatant touch down from AJ, then watched him sit on the ropes. Didn't communicate the "no knock down" particularly well. Possibly just as well this one didn't go on much longer as he'd no doubt have done some other questionable stuff (I'm guessing DD would have had at least one point deduction)
    • AJ has mentally not been right since Ruiz l, and while his team have done a decent job of hyping him back to something like his prior level (including having favourable opponents including one non-boxer) it seems it was all built on sand. The fight was most likely lost by the time he walked to the ring. The early omens were terrible and his punch resistance seems shot.
    • It sounds like despite the above there's talk of AJ pushing for a rematch. I think that would be a disaster jt who does he have telling him so? Plenty will look to milk the cash cow a couple more times. I feel pretty bad for AJ as I don't think there's a happy ending there for him, in boxing or outside it. He can't seem to handle his decline and whatever your sport it's sad to see a sportsperson struggle like that. Mentally he doesn't seem to know where he is.
    • I hope at some point to see Fury-Dubois, Zhang-Dubois, or Zhang-Fury for pure entertainment but have a feeling I'll be disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

How many times has AJ been knocked down in his career? Lost count.

Time to pack it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Thats a really good sum up I want to react to it.

Totally agree on Saudi aspect. Piss off. The only thing is that whatever terrible things go on in the world they will still go on. Thats a broader debate. Saudi aspect has brought about the fights we want to see.
    Ref could have caused a disaster there. Points deductions wouldn’t have been my concern. The KD not called was terrible and the one waved off was a KD. If he’d called it then TKO that round and it may have saved Joshua a nasty KO and the additional punishment. Teetering around the ring for 4 rounds is dangerous. He took some massive hits without going down and I’m happy for him to at least have that. The talking out of the ring and chatting to his corner as though they were watching bowls was weird. Brings me to think of brilliant Ben… warrior spirit? Quit the craic

Not sure why Joshua gets a rematch when this was a shot. Why did he come out second? Disrespectful to the belt.

On the upcoming fights it’s been a fantastic year so if the next one goes as well in terms of match ups I think we’ll get a lot of what we want

• Advertisement

More. Must be 10 by now. Wlad was 3 I think, Ruiz 3 and Dubois 5

Wlad was 1, no? DD was 3 or 4? Official I mean

Edit. 5 official last night, yes?

So actually close to 10.. yes

Did a bit of digging and youre right

Wlad 1

Ruiz was actually 4 (twice in R3 and twice in R7 before it was waved)

Then 5 last night. The knockdown that was waved would have made it 6 then is that right? Lotta knockdowns at HW!

Fury isn't terribly far behind in the knockdown stakes off the top of my head. He's on about 8.

Big difference is the fights where Joshua has been down the most he's lost. Fury survives much better.

7 I think is it?

Steve Cunningham 1

Wilder I 2

Wilder III 2

Ngannou 1

Usyk 1

The recovery time afforded to him was much longer for every knockdown. But he was lucid each time bar the Usyk one, which was at the end of the round.

Wasn’t Fury down before Cunningham? Nevin Pajic had him down..

Nevin pajkic definitely had him down big over hand right

You’re right yea thats 8 then?

• Advertisement

Just watched end 5th rd. AJ landed very clean solid shot that really buckled DD, and DD did very well to stay up, stay composed and relaxed and get in the final shot in to close the show. But really shows fine margins when two heavy hitters are trading. AJ could well have been a whisker away from catching DD with another belter to really change the fight.

The thing about AJ being finished doesn’t add up fully. He’s been that career pro who has diced with defeat here and there His aura was burst years ago. 3 solid defeats pre DD. Everyone knows about his limitations and vulnerabilities.

Never really been in any wars, not some washed up ragged shell of an old fighter. He’s never been a real old skool type career HW. He fights here and there in hyped fights.

Should be no surprise to see him still a big big name for another few fights.

Yep he had him on the backfoot but he was too ragged in the legs and head by then to be composed. Ironically it was his best round from start until the KO. The two straight rights were good but keeping his left so low allowed Dubois to tag him hard and then he threw a very predictable uppercut lead that was so telegraphed. Dubois timed him perfectly to the chin with a shot he didn’t see. I didn’t think there was anything like as much on it as the first of that exchange but that put his lights out. He was being quite the asshole during the 4th and even that round too such arrogance. But with the heart he showed it was still a pity to see the towel having to come in. It wouldn’t shock me all that much if he takes and wins the rematch.

Yes, really no reason not to take the rematch. DD also should be all for it as it will be a big payday again. AJs name sells.

Exactly, everybody should be happy with that. Would a rerun sell out Wembley again? I have a feeling it could be taken back to Saudi which would be a pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Fury got dropped by Neven Pajkic so he's on 8. Think I have the below right in terms of knockdowns suffered by the heavyweight top 10. Says a lot about how good Usyk is tbf.

Joshua - 9

Fury - 8

Wilder - 7

Dubois - 6

Parker - 6

Whyte - 5

Joyce - 2

Hrgovic - 1

Zhang - 1

Usyk - 0

• Advertisement

Yes. Should sell. Eddie and AJ on righting the wrong revenge mission . AJs final roll a the dice. Punters be lapping it up.. another Wembley sellout

And they might even let Dubois walk out second this time

Think Joshua has 10

Did Zhang knock Hrgovic down once or twice?

Interesting thinking through which of them have been knocked down and yet gone on to win.

Fury and AJ have weak chins in terms of how they take a hard shot. Both get really buzzed. The shot Usyk landed on Fury in rd 9 was clean and hard, but didn’t at all look as heavy as the overhand right that dropped AJ in rd 1 last night

Also, lot referees would have waved off Wilder 1 and would have jumped in to save Fury in rd 9 v Usyk

Circumstances aside: both men have weak chins..survival and recovery aside, both men have weak chins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Advertisement
Advertisement