Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hezbollah pager explosions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Gosh I must have imagined where the US invaded Afghanistan, killing about 70,000 civilians, and leaving tonnes of unexploded ordinance in the fields and elsewhere, as a direct result of a terrorist attack by a tiny group of people who were just living in Afghanistan, not even the act of the Afghan government, contrary to Hamas in Gaza. And also Iraq - something like 200,000 civilians killed as a direct result of the war started by the US for no good reason really - not even a terrorist attack.

Or there's particularly the second Chechen war, starting in 1999 after alleged terrorist attacks in Moscow. That killed an estimated 25,000 civilians, with several thousand more still missing - and that's just part of the Russia-Chechnya conflict in recent times. Moreover the bombings were probably actually set up by Moscow to give them an excuse to invade Chechnya in the first place - but hey, those Jews right? Much worse.

Because of course it's totally different when the Jews do it. Nobody has ever done anything as bad as them. Even when they have. 🙄

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He quoted an Israeli who was in Government. You forget to read it or maybe didn't want to.

''But neither would the current exterminatory fervour of Israeli society be possible if it were not the product and outcome of the internal logic of the founding project of the Hebrew state, the Zionist project! This allowed the lucid and perceptive old anti-Zionist activist Michel Warschawski to warn back in 2014 that Israel is “a country sliding towards fascism”. And a year later, he noted that “we have gone from a colonial society to a barbaric society. A potentially genocidal society that should be banned from the concert of civilized nations”!

But Warschawski went further, and after noting that “Israel has become the Wild West, with its bloodthirsty sheriff, Netanyahu”, he reminded us that “the only way forward, for Israelis who reject the barbarism into which we are sinking, is to immediately arrest the sheriff and his henchmen. Hundreds of thousands of demonstrators should take to the streets”. And in despair, he exclaimed:”But where are they? Do they live hidden in the shadow of barbarity - certainly, their hands aren’t covered in blood, but they’re busy looking the other way“. This is echoed now by the very courageous and very honest writer, Haaretz contributor and anti-occupation activist Gideon Levy, who laments that”many of my friends on the left have changed during this war, even them. That’s how you become lonelier and lonelier. It’s unprecedented"…''

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭dmcdona

You're at it again. Read back the previous posts to get the entire context.

And yes, I was debating you in perfectly good faith and I thought in a respectful manner... But you let yourself down with the "grow up" comment. Shame really.

I suspect SA may be delaying because as soon as they've completed a new page of evidence, there are another couple of new atrocities committed by Israel. The evidence is at this stage overwhelming.

Robert H. Jackson who made the opening address at the Nuremberg Trials stated that the defendants would be convicted on three grounds.

1. Their words
    2. The records they found of their plans
    3. Their actions

All the above exist against Israel plus tv evidence and witness statements. If Israel goes on trial, which it should. then the trial won't last very long before it is convicted. Certainly not the 10 months it took Nuremberg.

No you weren't. You pretended that I was failing to answer the question because I responded with Netanyahu rather than Likud, when he is the leader of Likud, and then tried to put words into my mouth about the IDF.

That's not in good faith, which requires that you respond to what I've said, not tell me what I must somehow really think despite what I've actually said.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Anyone who has a moral compass has skin in the game - to call out man's inhumanity to man.

If you read back the threads here and elsewhere, you'll find there are many regular posters (both sides by the way) who have an understanding of the underlying issues. Perhaps not an "agreed" understanding, but an understanding nonetheless.

Oh dear God… You really are at it again. I had rather hoped you'd turned a corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Feel free to ignore or report. You're the one who tried to put words into my mouth, not the other way around.

And I seem to recall you did something similar before, and only after I went over and over it several times did you end up admitting you had misquoted me. Or misunderstood, I forget exactly.

I do remember though that it took a LOT of time and some effort to force you to acknowledge that you were in the wrong.

I do believe you are mistaken. I certainly haven't accused you of putting words "into my mouth" and I definitely didn't put any into yours.

Like I said, perhaps read back through the posts.

On second thoughts, perhaps not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Out of curiosity what do you think of Israeli human rights groups who have come to the same conclusions as the organisations you condemn in this post?

Nobody here debates anything the "Jews" are doing - its Israel…

The post you quoted said nothing about Jews - it said "Israel"

No country that has had terrorists attacks, has gone after the innocent people who share the nationality of those terrorists, except Israel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

You're the one who tried to put words into my mouth, not the other way around.

It has been a thing on boards for a while, some peeps intentionally, unintentionally or for whatever other reason, forgot the ability to read, think and only then to react. What I'm saying is, posters will happily try to twist anything posted, if it doesn't suit their own narrative.

I don't mean you accused me of doing so, I mean you are trying to put words into my mouth, which IMO is evidence of someone posting in bad faith. Because you are responding to something you think I think, despite what I have actually said. Below for instance:

"seeing as you support the current Israeli Government…"

I've never said I support the current Israeli government. That's your opinion - despite the fact that I've said TO YOU in the past that I think Netanyahu is a criminal who should be in prison. The idea that I support "Likud" is really rather odd, as I don't have a vote there and don't know much detail about their policies on many things, hence why I mentioned Netanyahu rather than Likud. But you chose to attach some specific importance to that difference, and I've no idea why.

And then you decided to imply that instead this might be because I support the IDF specifically - which is frankly bizarre, for the reasons I already explained - if you were posting in good faith that is.

"Unless I'm mistaken and you're a supporter of the IDF only?"

Again, putting words and opinions into my mouth - things I've never said.

Always a bad sign IME. Debate what I've said, not what you want me to say, or else move on.

Yes - Al Jazeera in WB was shut down today.

Can't have pesky journalists documenting and publishing the truth…

Well except that is manifestly untrue isn't it? Several other countries have done it, and with less direct threat to their own citizens (indeed none, in the case of Russia) and causing many thousands of deaths of innocent civilians. So… maybe it's just that that poster has no knowledge or understanding of history and it's just an unfortunate coincidence that he describes as uniquely evil the only Jewish nation in the entire world.

Maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

A country has been killing civilians in the tens of thousands and may soon be killing civilians in another country. What does it matter what religions are involved?

I swear if someone wrote that it is necessary to kill a thousand innocent civilians with no further context given, some posters would wait to see who the victims were before deciding whether to defend the action.

Yes - I think I'll move on like all the other posters, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Yeah, the US went after innocent people of a completely different nationality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

If someone else accused you of something, that has nothing to do with me.

LOL that's amusing. I haven't noticed any shortage of responses to any of my posts. Quite the opposite - I've put a couple of them on ignore (as I pointed out yesterday). So I'm perfectly happy for you to ignore my posts if it makes your life better. There's no obligation to respond anyway.

The irony I see on here is that eventually, the mask slips for the most vocal zionist supporters and they refer to some anti-immigrant spiel. It shows that their main motive is not actually a support of the zionists, but support for them killing muslims. The irony is that they don't seem to realise that the actions of the zionists will create millions more refugees.

Can't both be true though can they? Which makes it quite likely that both are wrong, and that I am neither. TBF the poster who accused me of being a Shinner would actually be closer to the truth - I think I did actually once vote Sinn Fein, though it was a long time ago and I'm not 100% sure. But I can guarantee I have never ever voted loyalist. 😂

Well if it quacks like a duck……………..

It actually wasn't you I said it to before. It was PeggyShippen.

Yes you did, but then perhaps it's just your go-to term of abuse when you can't find anything more pertinent to say, so you forget who all you've said it to?

Oh and the guy did come to the wedding BTW. I'd have preferred to tell him to stuff it, but I was close to his then-girlfriend, so I wasn't going to fall out with him. I just reassured him gently that he wasn't taking his life in his hands merely crossing the border. 🙄

• Advertisement

Very strange. It is fair to say that your position on here, towards Israel, and also disdain for "Southerners" and the Irish army etc, would be more aligned with a certain community up there. But anyway, not sure why you keep going on about it. A man made up an excuse to avoid your wedding. No harm to let it go at this stage. It's hardly relevant for this thread anyway

Not sure what I've said about the Irish Army, but my experience of southerners comes from having lived there. Perhaps you're still mixing me up with Peggy Shippen. The comment about the Israeli flag is also puzzling to me.

Just FYI I grew up thinking "Free State" was a complimentary term (ie they were "free") and only when I went to Dublin did I discover that they took it as demeaning. It's regularly used in the north by nationalists. Less so now perhaps than when I was growing up, but I'm not even sure of that. I generally avoid it but lots of people wouldn't. Loyalists though? I'd say probably not. Sounds too positive an expression. Plus we can't say eg "Irish people" to refer to you, since we're Irish too, but they can.

But I certainly didn't start out with a negative view of southerners in general. Whereas I've lost count of the times an "appropriate" conversation starter from someone in Dublin was some crack about violent northerners, or IRA membership. This was some decades ago, during the troubles - but Dublin had a massive problem with drugs and robberies at the time, so it's not like it was some golden age there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭SeanW

8,000 odd second-class citizens in a totalitarian theocratic sh**hole that is only allied with other s***holes like Russia.

I'm not sure that's the flex you think it is. There's a very good reason why almost all of the 100,000-odd Jews that lived in Iran before 1979 don't live there anymore.

Are you refering to Israel within the 1967 borders or the West Bank settlements (which it could be argued are colonies). If you are referring to Israel within the 1967 borders as being "colonial" then you have to identify the Jewish metropole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭mulbot

☝️Maybe it's something to do with the fact that they are the "chosen ones"🤣🤣and can live within their ancestral homeland which was given to them by the God they believe in(totally not a coincidence that one). Who wouldn't want move from Iran to Israel when you can just go push someone out of their house and off their land based on this compelling evidence from the Bible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So rather than admit you were wrong you double down. You also have nothing to say about the Palestinians that are actually treated as second class citizens in the West Bank. As for Russia, Putin and Bibi have expressed admiration for each other in the past. Perhaps this is why Israel has often ignored Ukraine's requests for help.

Many of them took up the offer of being supported by the zionist forces to steal land from Palestinians……….free land and stolen houses……what's not to like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

No other country has had to face terrorists that use the civilian population as cover.

I agree SeanW. Like the idiots who write history books who try to tell us that e.g. North America was colonised. It wasn't. At the time the US was set up, it had no "metropole" anywhere else. Therefore it had nothing to do with colonisation. Despite the fact that it subsequently imported many more Europeans and pushed its borders further and further West, taking land from the Native Americans, there was nothing colonial about any of that. No-siree.

Same as how idiots why try to point out that zionism was inherently a colonial project which was pushed via the British mandate don't realise that it can't have been because when Israel came into existence, there was no "metropole"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I believe most terrorists do use this method. The taliban and Iraqi insurgents did use the methods too.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

And now if they are in the IDF they get to rob and loot Palestinian houses, shops and property like it is some 16th century pirate expedition. Utterly disgusting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Would you fcek off with that useless excuse. On may occasions they made the population move to a '' safe place '' designated by them and bombed them on the way and when they got there. There must be nearly the 40,000 command centres now.

• Advertisement

Sinwar, the man who has blocked every ceasefire deal and Hamas ending the fight may have been killed.

What is left of Hamas might take the opportunity to release the kidnapped and stop, though as an org. the whole point is continued fighting till the Jews are gone. They aren't motivated by ideas of statehood or Palestinian identity. However you view such a concept, manufactured or real like there was running through much of the PLO decades ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Maybe, but Hamas is not interested in peace are they?

Israel, after too long a period, have decided that when Hezbollah attack they need to respond with a slightly harder punch.

So in the last week they took out the hez communication system.

Then took out much of the senior command.

Then hit arms depots and missile launchers.

They want to make the price so high for Hezbollah that they agree to peace,but like Hamas, Hezbollah are not interested in peace.

So they need to keep escalating until it involves round the clock airstrikes for a few weeks, initially against Hezbollah and the parts of the Lebanese state that are compliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The records they found of their plans

If you have a record of Israeli plans to exterminate all Palestinians, then please share it.

The Nazi's did have this plan.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wannsee_Conference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭deirdremf

It appears that the University of Ottawa had an Adviser on Anti-Semitism, an ex-diplomat who had been ambassador to Norway, as well as various other high-level posts in Canada.

Here is his take on the exploding pagers:

Today’s targeting of Hezbollah operatives was brilliant. It struck a major blow against a terror group that has fired thousands of rockets against civilians all while the useless UN mission in Lebanon stands by. There is a price to pay #Hezbollah #FAFO. pic.twitter.com/NUyOWFkRHL

— Artur Wilczynski (@Arturmaks)

September 17, 2024

More here:

https://thecjn.ca/news/artur-wilczynski/

I wonder if there will be a new "Special adviser" any time soon, if this is the calibre of person that goes for the job?

Are you claiming Israel have targeted Palestinian civilians intentionally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Oh, but they do. The genocide supporters constantly and consistently speak about the Jews, and often use the word as though it and zionism were synonymous with Israel. And then they call people who use their terminology in criticising their actions "anti-semitic".

I've two further thoughts on this: the first is that in many peoples minds it serves to make them believe that all Jews are part of the Israeli/zionist genocide, which is likely to pave the way for actual anti-semitism in times to come.

The second is that in the strip of land between Gaza and Haifa something like five million Jews live - they have gone out of their way to create the world's largest jewish ghetto, and to top it all off they insist on riling all of their neighbours.

Methinks you could do with a history lesson on North American settlements - colonisation was a very large part of it. Before the founding of either the US or Canada, all European settlement in the Americas was colonial - that is, there was a metropole-colony relationship. Once the US declared independence from the British Empire (the former metropole) they went on to take other colonies - Louisiana from France and Spanish Florida from … you guessed it … Spain. As to the US westward expansion, that also occurred in colonial stages, with new territories being just "territories" before becoming full states.

The Jews never had any of this. Therefore Israel cannot be accused of colonialism except possibly its West Bank settlements.

But one thing both Israel and European North America do indeed share in common is how much they have given to the world. Without the North American settlements, including the United States and Canada, the world would have been extremely unlikely to have developed much beyond the Renaissance. If you like having nice things today you should thank the Jews of Israel and other parts of the world. For example, not to long ago if you got sick and a doctor wanted to look around inside you, they'd have to cut you open. Now that same doc can just give you a pill-cam, thanks to that tiny country and its people.

• Advertisement

"double down" on what? That Iran is a fascistic theocratic sh**hole which most of its Jews long since fled? That Iran's only allies are other totalitarian s***holes like Venezuela, China, North Korea etc? That the few Jews that didn't leave are at best second-class citizens under Shia dominion?

What did I state that was not accurate? How can Iran and its proxy wars be defended?

Advertisement