Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,080 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

That Kelleher save by the way....brilliant. nice for him to get the clean sheet. He had a quiet game in terms of passing out from the back but an important game with his hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

He really has it all, if he can make it all function seamlessly he'd have Ballon D'or's in his future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Sure Endo was good last season and some on here still don't rate him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Good win today but does anyone else think slobs isn't suited to the current no 8 position slot has him in,I think we need an upgrade in that central attacking position

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Trent is priority,if the others are open to a one year contract yes, otherwise the options their salaries being freed up ( a chunk of which is needed to get Trent contract)are a much better option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Buying another no.6 to play alongside Grav would free Mac up to play in the no.8 which is his best position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Saw on Twitter this morning that Nunez and Salah now have as many assists to each other as Suarez and Sturridge did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

We do need an upgrade at 8, thankfully we already have the player required (McAllister). If Szobo could be as effective and consistent as Alexis in the joint 6 role and play alongside Grav, we'd be laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I know it's almost impossible to get your hands on a ticket to games the past few years, but is it any easier getting your hands on tickets for Carabo Cup games? I'm off Halloween week and fancy a 2 night trip to the UK for a game, if we beat West Ham this week the next round is scheduled for that week - just trying to preempt if there is any point in even trying for Liverpool, or if I'd be better off going to Glasgow, Manchester or London or something instead. Cheers if anyone can offer some insight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭realrebel

Look up clubsportsandevents.com they have tickets starting at 65pound for the game on Wednesday I've used them before and are 100 legit

The cup games tend to be a lot cheaper so keep a eye out

Nunez is a player you play week in week out, and in doing so you get 20 plus PL goals. But if you pull him off the pitch because he played bad for 75 mins, and then drop him for next two games, and then bring him on for ten minutes in game 3 in a game already closed up, all you do is build the narrative he's not worthy of the shirt.

Me I'd play him 90 mins week in week out, and alter the players around him, and yes he might huff and puff for 80 mins, but he also has it in him to win the game from nowhere with ten mins to go.

You have to have faith in players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Article on Trent and his new contract, for those with Athletic supbscriptions,

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5785007/2024/09/22/trent-alexander-arnold-liverpool-contract-update/

Some quotes from the article,

" “The most important thing is trophies if I’m honest,” he told reporters following Saturday’s 3-0 win over Bournemouth at Anfield.

“I want to win trophies. I’m a player who is highly motivated by winning things and being elite. That’s probably the main factor of anything. If you have a personality that’s elite, who wants to win and will do anything to win then that’s what drives them.”

Alexander-Arnold, who could potentially sign a pre-contract agreement with a club overseas from January 1, has avoided exerting pressure on his boyhood club during the process and insists that will continue.

“Look, I have been at the club 20 years now. I have signed four or five contract extensions and none of those have been played out in public. This one won’t be either,” he said.

Asked if he wanted to stay at Liverpool, he added: “I want to be a Liverpool player this season (as a minimum) is what I will say.” "

The last quote was said because he has one year left on his contract as per the article. It worries me that he says he wants to win trophies and this will determine where he goes. This seems different to Van Dijk who said he wanted to stay. Salah was also non-committal on staying if I remember correctly. If I would bet I would say he is off, but maybe 55-45 that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

He gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I think a little bit will depend on the verdict of the City trial too, which is due around January apparently.

If they get off without any serious punishment (pretty likely, let’s be honest), then I couldn’t blame him for heading off and competing for titles with Madrid every season.

He’s probably looking at Gerrard’s career trajectory and realising that staying at your boyhood club purely out of loyalty was a thankless sacrifice. Plus, he’s won it all with us now.

If he’s off, best of luck to him. He owes us absolutely nothing. He might be irreplaceable in terms of playing style, but that’s not to stay we can’t be a stronger team without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭giveitholly

If he does leave without the club getting any transfer fee for him,then it could leave a sour taste with a good few supporters

Jesus doesn't sound good alright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

There was a time when Gerrard was moving to Chelsea..... definitely.... season after season..... definitely.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Trent still in a Liverpool jersey in 3 or 4 years time.

That's on the club imo.

Letting top players get down to under 2 years of a contract these days is unforgivable, let alone under 1 year.

Maybe it will, but if he moved for a fee he’d be giving up tens of millions of euros, which would be extremely foolish. Footballers don’t have long careers, this is by far his best financial option at this point in time, he’s won the lot at Liverpool and now can do the same with another team while acquiring generational wealth in the process.

Other players leaving before have stung a bit, like Torres and Suarez. This one doesn’t for me, maybe it’d be different if I was a scouser and saw one of my own leave my local club, but that’s not the case.

Yeah it’d be nice to get a fee for him, but if I was in his position, I wouldn’t hesitate to do the same thing and pocket the transfer fee for myself as a signing on bonus. As I said, he’s already won the lot with Liverpool, never cost us a penny on top of his wages and presumably ridiculous assist bonuses. He owes the club nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭riddles

is it a barb at FSG who are not interested in strength in depth. The other side is that he has won everything you can win as a Liverpool player. His lackadaisical approach to defending has cost him a starting place in the England WC and Euro - if he was doing what he’s doing now he would have started.

Sorting out VVD’s contract must be the top priority, he’s still an elite centre back.

If we lost him at the cost of keeping Trent, we’d suffer more. If we could keep both, amazing, but if it’s one or the other, I’m picking Virgil every time.

But Virgil only has a couple more years at the top level whereas Trent should be only coming into his prime now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭Thud

Citi drop two points and a Rodri injury, we'd be having a meltdown Monday with that outcome....

Admittedly, I’m not thinking 5+ years down the line here, I’m hoping we can compete for trophies again next season at the latest.

If VVD leaves, we simply must sign another world class centre back to take his place, like immediately. A pairing of Konate and Quansah isn’t winning major trophies, as much as I like them both.

If Trent leaves, you could make an argument that we don’t even have to sign a replacement. Bradley’s form last season speaks for itself, and Gomez provides great cover for that spot too.

Just to be clear, I’m not saying we’d be stronger without Trent, of course we won’t. He’s a generational talent and does things no other fullback could dream of. But we’d be a much weaker side without VVD rather than Trent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

If u read the full article u would see his approach to defending is far from lackadaisical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Trent signing a contract is more important than both Mo and Virge given where they are in their careers.

For me, Trent leaving on a free would be way worse than losing either Torres and Suarez as we received market value for them. If he hasn’t signed by January I would be playing Bradley a lot more. Bradley looked great initially but has dipped a little since. We’d need to give him plenty of starts in the second half of the season to confirm whether he’s the man to replace Trent or whether we need someone else to be the starter next year. Of course it would depend on the importance of each game. And hopefully Trent will sign and this is all moot.

Bradley has cost Liverpool more goals than Trent this season. I think that Bradley gets an easy pass on his defending, just because he's not Trent. Bradley's defensive form dropped a lot last season before his injury, especially March and April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Is there some other article/interview somewhere? I read the linked Athletic one, and there's not much more than was quoted above… not a lot in there really.

I do find the drop in his workrate irritating though… he used to literally just run a lot more. Has a habit now of floating around, which is ok on the attack when he's looking to be more playmaker than dynamic runner, but seeing him not closing people down off the ball gets annoying. Particularly when he steps inside into midfield, it's like he just abdicates all responsibility to whoever is covering him, instead of actually trying to do some of the defensive midfield work and being alert to covering runners.

• Advertisement

I see AC Milan beat Inter today,a bit of a surprise I would of thought considering how poor they were during the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Bradley is but a chap and young players will make mistakes. As long as he learns from them, we'll just have to accept the odd goal conceded over the season if we play him. Heck, Trent cost us plenty of goals over the years (but he has scored/assisted a lot of them too).

That's always bugged me about Trent tbh

Not sure how recent a phenomenon that is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

A 4 year contract with a release clause for 100m if we win nothing by end of next season would be reasonable. I think he's been hanging around with Bellingham too much with all this "elite" nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

Trent Alexander-Arnold was true to his word.

With the Liverpool squad dashing straight for the airport after their Champions League away win against AC Milan on Tuesday, the England right-back promised reporters in the bowels of San Siro he would stop to chat with them after Saturday’s Premier League game against Bournemouth at Anfield.

Numerous interview requests have been rejected by the 25-year-old’s camp this season in the knowledge that the conversation would inevitably centre around his future. Alexander-Arnold, like his Liverpool team-mates Virgil van Dijk and Mohamed Salah, is going to be out of contract next summer as things stand.

With discussions over a new deal ongoing, it’s a sensitive topic, but to his credit, Alexander-Arnold stuck to his Milan vow after helping Arne Slot’s side secure an emphatic 3-0 win over Bournemouth.

It was a contest that underlined his immense value to Liverpool as he celebrated his 100th goal involvement for the club in all competitions (19 goals, 81 assists). He’s the youngest player to reach that milestone for Liverpool since Steven Gerrard, who got there 278 days faster in 2005.

Over eight minutes, Alexander-Arnold talked about his contract situation, the pursuit of glory, his growing bond with new head coach Slot and explained how they are working together to keep improving the defensive side of his game.

Here’s the best of what he had to say — and the context to it.

What is the situation with your future?

Alexander-Arnold: “Look, I have been at the club 20 years now. I have signed four or five contract extensions and none of those have been played out in public. This one won’t be either.”

It was clear that Alexander-Arnold wasn’t looking to get a message across. At no point in this process has he sought to exert pressure on Liverpool through the media and that respectful stance towards a club he has represented since the age of six shows no sign of changing.

Alexander-Arnold’s current contract runs out in the summer (Marco Luzzani/Getty Images)

The present situation is very different to his previous renewals, as he’s never entered the final year of a contract before. He signed his current one in the summer of 2021, having previously agreed extensions in January 2019 and July 2017. But if there’s any sense of frustration privately over how late Liverpool have left it this time, Alexander-Arnold certainly hasn’t shown it publicly.

You’ve spoken in the past about wanting to be Liverpool captain one day and potentially a one-club man. Is it still your desire to do that?

Alexander-Arnold: “I have always said I want to captain the club. That is an aim of mine and a goal of mine, whether that happens is out of my hands, to be honest.”

Do you want to stay?

Alexander-Arnold: “I want to be a Liverpool player this season (as a minimum) is what I will say.”

The words in brackets there are important. He didn’t say it in the context of only wanting to be a Liverpool player for the rest of this season. It’s simply that he can’t commit publicly to any longer than that currently as it’s how long is left on his contract. There’s an ongoing process as talks with sporting director Richard Hughes continue. It’s one of the biggest issues Hughes inherited when he made the move from fellow Premier League side Bournemouth this summer.

As for the captaincy and being a one-club man, it’s not solely Alexander-Arnold’s decision. Jurgen Klopp gave him the vice-captaincy last year and he has retained it under Slot. However, when the skipper’s role next becomes available at Anfield will depend on what happens with current captain Van Dijk’s future.

What is most important to you in the decision-making process over your future?

Alexander-Arnold: “The most important thing is trophies. I want to win trophies. I’m a player who is highly motivated by winning things and being elite. That’s probably the main factor of anything. If you have a personality that’s elite, who wants to win and will do anything to win, then that’s what drives them.”

You’ve had that at Liverpool so far in your career. Do you see anything changing?

Alexander-Arnold: “We were close to the title last season and we won a cup. The quadruple was on for a while, I suppose, so the signs were there. This season, we’re looking really good. It’s still early days but we need to show a lot of consistency and beat a lot of teams. It will be difficult, but we’re looking to win as many trophies as we can.”

Alexander-Arnold was a Champions League, Club World Cup and Premier League title winner at age 21. As he enters the peak years of his career, it’s understandable that he wants to be competing for and winning the biggest prizes once again. He will also want a contract that suitably recognises his value and his status in the game.

Alexander-Arnold and his Liverpool team-mates celebrate on Saturday (Alex Livesey/Getty Images)

Speculation linking him with Real Madrid persists but top sides all across Europe will be keeping a close eye on developments given such a talent could be available as a free agent next summer. He could potentially sign a pre-contract agreement with a club overseas from January 1, but Liverpool are desperate to avoid that scenario.

The uncertainty hasn’t affected Alexander-Arnold’s form or focus.

Since returning to club duties after helping England get to the final of the European Championship in July, he has thrown himself into the start of a new era at Anfield. Hearing him talk about how he created Liverpool’s second goal for Luis Diaz on Saturday, his enthusiasm for Slot’s brand of football shone through. After so much talk concerning his best position for both club and country, he’s relishing being given a licence to drift into central areas from right-back and spearhead attacks.

“It’s freedom,” he said. “For instance, if Ibou (Ibrahima Konate) gets the ball and plays it to Mo (Salah), and Mo has no one there with him, I kind of anticipate that someone has to be there for a bounce pass, so as the ball goes I start to sprint.

“The winger doesn’t track me. Mo sees me, plays it to me and then I break free. Then it’s about making your choices going into the box. Darwin (Nunez) made a good run, I could see Mo making a run across but I thought he might be a bit too wide, and then Dom (Dominik Szoboszlai) made a run to take someone away, so Lucho (Diaz) was free. I played it to him and he tucked it into the back of the net.

“They had the disallowed goal early on but after that, we controlled the game. It’s working well. There was a big emphasis on midfield overloads and getting the triangles right. That was something we worked on in training on Friday. We executed it to perfection.”

Slot also made a point on Saturday of complimenting Alexander-Arnold on his defending against both Milan, when he kept Portugal international and 2021-22 Serie A Most Valuable Player Rafael Leao so quiet, and Bournemouth. The player believes he’s benefiting from the Dutch coach’s attention to detail as they sit together to analyse matches.

Alexander-Arnold was full of praise for Slot (Carl Recine/Getty Images)

“We kind of talked about targets and aims, and I said to him that I would like to be the defender that no one wants to come up against in Europe,” Alexander-Arnold explained on Saturday. “We agreed that he will be harsh on me. Anytime an attacker gets past me, he will call it out in meetings and say this cannot happen. We go through every game together and he highlights where he wants me to improve.

“Even in the Milan game, we had about 20 clips going through what I could have done better, and the good parts as well. It is really refreshing to have a manager who will help and guide and teach me how to be better as a player. I am someone who wants to learn, someone who wants to be the best and someone who strives to be the best ever.”

Alexander-Arnold knows there are continuing doubts about his defending. “And I think that was perhaps harsh, if I am honest. It was a big perception and it was hard to kind of shrug off with just one good defensive game,” he said.

“But when you put a lot together, we have had four out of five clean sheets (in the 2024-25 Premier League so far). That is exceptional from a back line. ‘Defences win championships’ is the old saying and being part of that defence means I have responsibilities to make sure my winger doesn’t get a sniff in the game. I lay targets for every game — how many times am I dribbled past, how many times does he get a cross in, how many times (does the opponent get) a shot.”

Yet it’s that exquisite range of passing and his creative spark which continues to separate him from his peers. A century of goal involvements in 316 appearances is remarkable for a right-back.

“Good numbers! I think I’m capable of many, many more, to be honest,” he added. “For now, I’m completely focused on this season — how many goals, assists, clean sheets can I get, and hopefully do enough to help us win the league.”

Alexander-Arnold’s importance to Liverpool is greater than ever as those discussions over his future continue.

(Top photo: Alex Livesey/Getty Images)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

They were much better tonight, more united as a team and were fully deserving of the victory. Inter put a lot of effort into their game v City and were not as good as they normally would be.

• Advertisement

Saucy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Silva was mouthing off to Gabriel near the end of the match where he was holding up a zero sign using his hand. Was probably saying the same to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

bit of a scroll through that!

I read nothing that suggests Trent is leaving in that piece. It was more about winning things this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

How exactly is it on the club if a player decides they want to run down their contract to move on a Bosman to Madrid? The club can offer all the sweet contracts it wants but it can't offer the excitement of a new personal and professional adventure or the lifestyle of playing in Madrid.

Trent has been at the club since he was a young kid. It's natural for any person to want to try new experiences, live overseas etc. He only has one life and one career. He's won it all with Liverpool and is entering the peak years of his career. He cost Liverpool £0 and he owes Liverpool £0.

Good luck to him of he decides to go to Madrid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Pool/United and Pool/Everton will always be bigger games than Arse/City.

Always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Thanks @robwen for posting that - but it does remind me of why I stopped subscribing to the Athletic, its a huge amount of words with little to no insight, and the main points have already been released more succinctly elsewhere. Maybe the insight for other clubs is better (the United lads seem to have an inside track) but I've always found the Liverpool stuff lacking.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

TAA is playing the game, giving public quotes like this to let the club know that he's not going to stay on pure loyalty and needs to be given a contract worthy of his importance to the team.

Losing him would be disastrous. Even if we get a fee, whoever replaces him isn't going to be as good and Bradley is a good player but not at the same level at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

It's absolutely on the club. They either have a persuade him to stay with the right financial terms or sell him for the highest amount possible.

He'd be a huge loss if he were to leave but allowing one of the most valuable defenders on the planet to leave on a free would be shocking.

It's being really poor by the club to have let VVD, Trent and Salah all be within 3 months of all signing for free elsewhere. Literally hundreds of millions worth of player so I don't understand how you possibly say how is on the Club

There's a sale on at the moment for West Ham tickets, for anyone that meets the criteria, but it looks like there is a good amount of tickets remaining and it might drop down to an all members sale. Worth keeping an eye on over the course of the day/tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

They are getting the value out of the players this way,,fall out with Trent last year,, trying to sell him somewhere he doesn't want to go,,this way he is still playing for the club,, still a chance he will sign a contract,if he goes best of luck to him, hopefully he will have helped win something for his last season at Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Please explain to me how they sell him to any club for any transfer fee whatsoever if he has decided to complete the term of his contract and move on a Bosman to Madrid?

Clubs can't force any player to sign a new contract and they certainly can't sell a player to another club he doesn't want to go to.

Are you suggesting that clubs should be able to trade players to any club worldwide without the consent of the player?

Hey Trent, Al Nassr in the Saudi Pro league just offered to pay us £100m for you so pack your bags son, you're out of here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭tinpib

I am about half way through Ian Graham's new book, really enjoying it and strongly recommend to anyone on here.

I get the feeling that him, Edwards, Richard Hughes etc will analyse as much data as they have on performance of the 3 players soon out of contract and predict how they will perform in future and how valuable they will be to the club.

The model will spit out a weekly wage, number of years etc and they will probably be very rigid with that. Their attitude seems to be "we trust our model, this is what you are worth and what we are willing to pay. If you don't like it we understand, you are free to go, and we have loads of replacements lined up that will provide good value to the club."

Emotion, fan reaction, "they are Liverpool legends", "give them what they want" etc just won't enter into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

This is pure nonsense, i was at the match, atmosphere was really really good, heard it was poor for the Forest game but it was excellent on Saturday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement