Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hezbollah pager explosions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Iran is a very evil reigime no doubt. But your complete blindspot in calling out Israel killing of 10s of thousands of innocent civilians is a whole different point. Russia can be evil but doesnt give Ukraine a carte blanche to be evil too, and thank god Ukraine has not gone the way of Israel .

It is obvious you will keep defending Israel if it kills 50k, or 100k or whatever the amount of civilians they finally end up killing. And all you will ever do is deflect and talk about other Evil regimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TokTik

A sense of history would show that the Geneva Convention of 1949 were brought in after WW2 to stop things like that from ever happening again.

Here are just some of those conventions Israel has breached.

Members of the armed forces and other persons mentioned in the following Article, who are wounded or sick, shall be respected and protected in all circumstances.

They shall be treated humanely and cared for by the Party to the conflict in whose power they may be, without any adverse distinction founded on sex, race, nationality, religion, political opinions, or any other similar criteria. Any attempts upon their lives, or violence to their persons, shall be strictly prohibited; in particular, they shall not be murdered or exterminated, subjected to torture or to biological experiments; they shall not wilfully be left without medical assistance and care, nor shall conditions exposing them to contagion or infection be created.

Prisoners of war are entitled in all circumstances to respect for their persons and their honour

.Civilian hospitals organized to give care to the wounded and sick, the infirm and maternity cases, may in no circumstances be the object of attack, but shall at all times be respected and protected by the Parties to the conflict.

There are plenty more, but that’s just a few

Why is the skin cancer rate so high amongst its “natives” compared to that of its neighbouring countries natives??

Just the 500 instances. There ya go.

https://www.trtworld.com/middle-east/database-exposes-500-instances-of-israeli-incitement-to-genocide-in-gaza-16537146

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Methinks you could do with your own history lesson SeanW. Palestine was also controlled by other countries which indeed had "metropoles" prior to 1948. Did you not know that?

To further highlight the parallels, the most famous of the early European arrivals , i.e. the Pilgrims, were fleeing religious intolerance …….. and closer to home, the original migration to there from this island were protestants from Ulster

• Advertisement

Hind Rajab. Or was she some 6 year old terrorist prodigy??

Israel claimed that there weren't any troops present in the neighborhood and denied carrying out the attack. However, this was refuted by investigations relying on satellite imagery and visual evidence, which concluded that a number of Israeli tanks were indeed present and one had likely fired 335 rounds on the car that Rajab and her family had been in, with tank operators being able to see that the car had civilians including children in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Warning issued to evacuate all civilian areas where Hezbollah are storing munition etc, a heavy day of retaliation is expected by idf and air force

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

Unless you happened to be in the conflict zone at the time, you don't know why that tragic incident occurred or the circumstances surrounding it.

Again, I'll ask you - do you believe the IDF are deliberately targeting civilians?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Apartheid state embassy says its "highly inflammatory and potentially slanderous" and rejected them "completely".

Like the ruSSians you know the israelis are lying when their lips move

Sig edited so not to "offend" genocide apologists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYOZ3IzRaf4

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Eh no.

I look at the instances, and many of them reference Quads News Network as the sole reference.

https://x.com/QudsNen

This is an organisation that was banned from Twitter before the Musk take over for spearking lies, fake news and disinformation. It is widely regarded as athe soical media arms of Hamas and Hezbollah.

It is still banned on outlets like Facebook and TikTok.

So no, I wont take that seriously, considering TRT World is a

The network has received criticism for failing to meet accepted journalism ethics and standards for independence and objectivity, with some commentators especially in the West calling it state media

[2][3]

or a propaganda arm of the Erdoğan administration.

Lad, why oh why do you swallow 'News' from such obvious propaganda outlets? Do better, please.

Also, even the instances themselves are rubbish. Many of them are like, "An IDF soldier hit a Palestinian".

That is not proof of a plan to exterminate (i.e kill) 8 million Palestinians.

• Advertisement

Apparently he has no proof of his allegation, and indeed some on social media are saying he is wrong.

Michael D is wrong on both accounts here, and is plunging Ireland deeper into diplomatic trouble.

Rumours that Hamas chief Sinwar may have been killed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭taratee

Wow, a man in his position can't just make allegations like that. That being said, it'll probably be forgotten about in a few days.

He loves attention.

He thinks he is the main character of a real-life 'West Wing'

"Lad, why oh why do you swallow 'News' from such obvious propaganda outlets? Do better, please."

He swallows it because it supports his beliefs and the position he has already taken on Israel. Standard fare for many of the posters on here.

Ironic.

Care to share your own proof that he has none?

Yes, he has been very quiet lately. Unusual for him. I know he was in hospital for a while.

Lads, you blindly parrot Israeli spokesperson lies on here. The ones who would put "comical ali" to shame with they blatancy of said lies.

Higgins is some dope. What business do we have with a pariah state such as Iran? And then to write to them about a "threat" posed by Israel? That's a staggering amount of stupid.

Harris and Martin are no better by backing him, completing a trifecta of useful idiots.

Thinking about it a little more. What is he trying to achieve? Is it just an attention seeking exercise? I get that he supports Palestine, Hamas etc but why would you bother reaching out to, and validating by proxy, a pariah state like Iran? Can someone on the thread explain what he is hoping to achieve? Just to be crystal clear, I am referring to to the fact that he has reached out to Iran explicitly. What is Iran going to do to improve the situation?

• Advertisement

Because he is one head of state maintaining diplomatic relationships with another head of state.

He can't be expected to forgo normal diplomatic norms and procedure just because there are a cohort of virulent islamophobes on various social media who think their own specific prejudices are the most important thing in global politics.

Do you have any issue with the actual content of the letter? Or just pissed he sent it? Ironically, the relevance to this thread is that it mentioned the dangers posed by Israel to the region, on a thread which exists because of indiscriminate zionist terrorist attacks in Lebanon. Pretty accurate in that regard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Yes indeed. I was going to make that point about the English and French colonies in America.

On your last paragraph, for all the talk of BDS and boycotts of Starbucks and other companies allegedly owned , you never hear of people boycotting the polio vaccine invented by a Jew - who moreover refused to patent it because he felt that all of humanity needed to benefit from it.

Actually I think both polio vaccines were invented separately by two different Jews.

It was indeed controlled by the British colonisers - which is why it’s hilarious to see posters here denying that Ireland was founded in terrorism for fighting a guerilla war against the British but convincing themselves that Irgun and Stern were terrorists for doing the same.

Maybe being fully-covered up all the time does help when living in hot places? Who knew? Somebody should tell the Australians.

Or better yet, pack them all back to their home countries, by your logic?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

I'm no fan of Higgins or of his letter to Iran . But I think Simon Harris hit the nail on the head with his response to the controversy.

From https://www.rte.ie/news/middle-east/2024/0923/1471411-higgins-israel/

Mr Harris added: "I have no interest whatsoever in getting into any sort of tit for tat or back or forth with the Israeli embassy or the government of a country that is continuing to allow this horrific humanitarian situation continue where children are dying on a daily basis, many more being maimed and many, many hundreds of thousands, if not millions, being deprived access to humanitarian aid."

This is the sort of direct talking that Israel and its supporters here need to hear.

which is why it’s hilarious to see posters here denying that Ireland was founded in terrorism for fighting a guerilla war against the British but convincing themselves that Irgun and Stern were terrorists for doing the same.

Eh, in the case of the zionists, it was the recently arrived colonizers who were killing the natives…………

Palestinians on the West Bank are not Israeli Arabs, and while I agree that they are often badly treated, that does not make Israel an apartheid state, any more than putting asylum seekers in "Direct Provision" hostels and forbidding them from getting jobs makes Ireland an apartheid state.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

You are not answering the question. I didn't say that that he should forgo diplomatic norms with Iran, full stop. I am talking about this issue and the fact that he reached out to Iran and Iran alone. On the content, I think it is really poor. I think it reflects very badly on him first and foremost. He had no evidence to back up it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭weisses

If he doesn't claim this I will. More than 40.000 civilians killed are just collateral damage now ?

If you target a site knowing there will be civilians, then yes you are targeting them intentionally.

You should read up on the details before jumping in and shouting. The letter was sent - as is perfectly diplomatic norm - as a result of the election of the new Iranian President.

Should there be a new Israeli President elected, he will no doubt also receive a letter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

You are tying yourself in knots with these analogies! Understandable as it is an impossible job to defend Israel's actions at the moment.

Israeli Arabs are not "asylum seekers", they are in their own home (supposedly) but were always a bit second class.

In the current circumstances of war I expect they are seen as a barely tolerated fifth column who'd want to keep their heads very well down, or have them cut off.

A lot of them will probably emigrate and get out while they can in coming years.

edit: Posted too quickly and think I misread, but Palestinians in the West Bank are not comparable to asylum seekers looking for refuge in Ireland either.

• Advertisement

How do you determine in urban warfare whether or not there are civilians at a site? And in particular one from which, for example, an RPG is being fired at you?

Eh, its incumbent on those making the claim to show proof of said claim.

Can you really have missed the many posts over the last 11 months making (unironic) claims about the Jews owning everything in America, or about being such bad neighbours that everyone in the region hates them and so on?

And that's before we get on to the "moderate" anti-semitic remarks such as one I called out only a day or so ago, which scrupulously avoided using the word, but that's what it came down to all the same. Making an obviously false claim about "Israel" being the only country in the world to do "X" when multiple countries have done the same "X" only worse, shows either complete ignorance of history or a dislike of "Israel" for reasons which are hard to explain other than by anti semitism.

And I got picked up by another "moderate" poster for daring to point out this awkward fact. Because if one hasn't said the bad word itself, they'll tell you that there can't possibly be any antisemitism there. Bit like saying someone can't have made a racist comment because they didn't use the word N….

All I was doing was putting into plain English what was really being said there.

He is a ticking timebomb.

He knows his days are numbered, so will probably use the last year of his office to spout all kinds of nonsense leading us into a diplomatic incident of sorts.

You are being mischievous here Donald. That is not the type of letter that is issued to a newly elected President and you know it.

Okey dokey.

Care to share the proof of the claim you made - which was that he had no proof?

Incumbent on you apparently

• Advertisement

Higgins is definitely no worse than the israeli President or Netanyahu. The things they defend are just disgusting,. Amazing how upset Israeli supporters get here about what our politicians say about Israel , but are so silent about the killing of innocent people in Gaza by Israel. And that is happening every day.

Have you ever received one yourself? Or written one?

I'm "tying myself in knots" says the poster who acknowledges having misread my post and thus responded wrongly to what was in it! LOL

You should try again with the second bit. I didn't say WB Palestinians were asylum seekers - I'm talking about when a country treats non nationals differently from nationals. "Apartheid" requires that one treats one set of citizens differently to the others. Arab Israelis have all the same civil rights as Jews. Palestinians do not. That does not make Israel an apartheid state. South Africa today treats Nigerains, Congolese and other immigrants differently to black South Africans, but that doesn't make it an apartheid state.

So why is Michael D complaining and blaming the Israelis then? Why did he want to keep it secret?

I genuinely can't see why, seeing as the new president is supposed to be fairly moderate - but Higgins (wrongly) chose to blame the Israelis for "leaking" a letter that apparently he forgot to tell the Iranians he would rather nobody else knew about.

Or did he just want a chance to blame Israel for something?

That facts may hurt or make one uncomfortable does not make them untrue

• Advertisement

The King David Hotel bombing was not aimed at "the natives", but clearly at the British Headquarters.

Similar to the American revolutionary war. That they attacked their "overlords" does not negate that they also attacked natives.

Which "facts" are those? That our president stupidly made a false allegation against Israel?

Or that he effectively told the Iranian government that he believes that Israel is a bigger threat to the world than Iran which is constantly manipulating its proxies to commit terrorist acts?

The Iranian embassy posted the letter on July 28th. After the row started, they deleted it, but some people had taken screengrabs.

Brilliant.

Point out that Iran is a tyrannical theocratic dictatorship that brutally quelled an uprising of students and women over the past 2 years, killing 551 people according to various human rights groups, means you are an Islamaphobe.

The Iranian regime is the core issue in the Middle East today. If they didnt fund groups like Hamas, and Hezbollah, the region would be much more peaceful.

This is not Man United vs Liverpool. I get you dont like Israel, but you dont have to sell your dignity and soul to the likes of Hamas and Iran in the process.

He has not published or released this proof, which leads one to conclude he doesn't have it.

He is shooting his mouth off, which is common for him at this stage.

No idea what sort of false parallel you're trying to make here. Native American tribes fought on both sides of the American Revolution. I really don't think you're going to be able to stretch that into something that works for you wrt Israel.

Particularly since the UN did not exist back then whereas Israel has a legally-recognised existence, regardless of its origins. Which gives it more legitimacy than most countries which actually were founded through war with "the natives".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I made an honest mistake, thought you were refrerring to Arab-Israelis and admitted it. Couldn't be bothered rewriting the whole post after - sorry.

You are tying yourself in knots. You made some other analogy between likes of Irgun & the violence in Ireland's indepenence struggle. That can also be used to justify violence of Palestinians, and even some of Hamas' actions, which seems a bit awkward for you. As said it's just really hard to try and stick up for Israel or explain/excuse what they are doing. I think even their biggest allies of long standing are (mostly privately for now?) revolted by their govt.

De facto I don't think Arab-Israelis are quite equal citizens in Israel, and probably the way Israel is going, with rise of their right wing, they will make it de jure before long.

In any case it is a joke to compare Palestinians in the West Bank to situation of people who flee to other countries far away to excuse or soft soap how they are treated by Israel.

The Palestinians are at home as well, or close to it. They are ultimately Israel's problem and responsibility. If Israel wants to grab the land and resources, the inconvenient people come with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I an not disputing Iran is a theocratic state. I am calling you out your previous assertion:

You said Iran wants to kill all the jews. Why is there a community of Jews still in Iran if this is the case?

Why are there 20 Synagoues in Iran?

Also have you anything to say about Israel refusing to help Ukraine?

People can try to pull a veil over their true intentions. Faux concerns for X when it is nothing but a useful tool to try to create distraction. Nobody is fooled except for those already fooled. So it really is a pointless exercise

• Advertisement
Advertisement