Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon WFH Policy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Thats true but it can be in a contact of employment in an inclusive way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Thats my point. Not all roles or businesses operate the same way, so there is never a single solution that will be appropriate to every case.

Some businesses will always require staff to be in the office and some will not.

Full working in the office for jobs that can be done at home is never coming back it will be blended working the saving in office costs are too huge for employers not to do it.

I know a few who work from home and no one messes with it, they don't do house work except at lunch time, they are not minding children, they know they are in work but they they all know people who are taking advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Think you might be underestimating the value of good sales people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Full time childcare I would fully agree cannot be done if WFH, it’s far too distracting but I don’t see why you would have issue with most of the things on that list - once the work is being done that’s all that should matter. Things like school runs are par for the course and the reason why wfh is such a game changer along with being able to stick on wash or other brief chores. Also you have your lunch time and when at home can get lots done in this time rather than browsing the internet which is what I generally end up doing for an hour in the office.

When someone mentions things like putting on a wash or a school run being an issue with WFH they seem to ignore the amount of distraction and time spent not working when In the office.

The logging on and having breakfast is an interesting one as I generally don’t do this when wfh as I am not under time pressure but on days in the office it’s not unusual for a few of us to go to the nearby cafe after our morning meeting and we could be sitting there chatting and drinking coffee for 30 mins+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

It can, but the contract is usually role based.

If you have 2 people doing the same job, they are likley to have the same contract, regardless of whether they have small kids or not.

You couldn't allow the person that doesn't have kids to WFH and tell the other person that does have kids that they need to be in the office 5 days a week, when they both have the same job role.

In this situation, the employer is likley to have both of them in the office, if they feel the employee with small kids isn't as productive when WFH.

I don't think anyone is talking about dropping children to school as an issued it's actually minding children while they are working I doubt anyone is minding children full time.

I think turning down promotions or putting efforts into arguing retaining remote/hybrid work rather than chasing pay rises is common these days. I would fall into this category - overdue a pay rise but not wanting to give them the excuse to say “come in 5 days and you can have the pay rise” or similar.

The dell situation was a good example of this:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/06/nearly-half-of-dells-workforce-refused-to-return-to-the-office/

To summarise, to get people back from fully remote to hybrid dell said anyone opting to remain fully remote would exclude themselves from being considered for promotions or applying for new internal roles. The result was almost 50% of people said fine, we will forgo the promotions to remain fully remote. Remember this was not even a full RTO mandate just come in 39 days a quarter which would be likely be a 2 or 3 days a week for most which wasn’t even unreasonable in my opinion given the 5 day RTO mandates elsewhere.

Post edited by SodiumCooled on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Deub

you will probably be taking at least a 50% pay cut unless you can land a job in the other large US companies like Google, Meta, Microsoft etc. 

Where did you get that number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

The pandemic woke a lot of people up to the true value of a good work/life balance, and as you say, are willing to forgo some things to achieve or maintain one.

If I heard someone had turned down a promotion I wouldn't immediately jump to the conclusion that it's because they are lazy or didn't want the hassle, but that they considered it carefully and have their own reasons for doing so.

• Advertisement

A long time ago I knew a lone parent who turned down a promotion because it would have affected their child getting any college grant.

People always try to make circumstances suit themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Soc_Alt

I find it funny.

People who worked in office before the pandemic are making so many excuses in relation to not wanting to return to the office.

Kpi's etc are irrelevant.

If you are told to return to the office, you will be returning to the office like before.

It's not your call. It your employers.

If you don't agree with the companies policy then try another company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

My company has a 3 days in the office, 2 days wfh policy. They have said that this isn't changing anytime soon in either direction. Now if someone has a particular need to wfh more often, they can come to an agreement with their manager but that's on an individual by individual basis. I think there's only a couple of people who have that.

We also have it in our contracts that we cannot be responsible for the care of any dependent (child or adult) during our wfh periods so can't use it as childcare. My son is in senior infants so he goes to an afterschool. On the odd day where he's sick, or afterschool is closed for some reason, I have collected him & looked after him. My boss has been aware. Personally I don't know how you coud do that full time as neither work nor my child is getting the best from me. I can understand with older children in the latter part of primary school might be ok as they somewhat look after themselves.

And yes on my wfh days, I do put on the laundry, clean the kitchen etc. I do it while I'm waiting for the kettle to boil or while I'm taking my lunch. If I was in the office, I'd still be taking that tea break & lunch but I wouldn't be as productive during them.

I could never go back to 5 days a week wfh as I think I'd go insane. I also don't think I could always do 5 days in the office but if that what was mandated, I'd look at it. I don't have a crazy commute though so that does make a difference.

I can see why that might be a legitimate reason for them. College is expensive.

Personally, 5 days in the office doesn't suit me for a host of reasons and I really, really don't want to do it. I'm not sure where I'm more productive if I'm honest but I do believe that managers should be managing outputs rather than attendance.

However, it's my employer's call. They are within their rights to ask me to come back in 5 days whatever I think about it.

Re supervising children when working it is not just that the person could be looking after parents or trying to do anything while working so the contract of employment would be worded in a way that states working from home is the same as working in the office.

There is another point blurring the lines between work and home supervising children doing housework and constantly switching between them is bad for your home life and mental health in a modern context.

however when on a lunch break the person can do anything they want including go swimming.

They got promoted twice since then as but at the time it was better to forgo to be pay increases and get the grant for their child they were the kind that had everything worked out to a t because they had to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I love Working From Hawaii (WFH).

Especially in the winter months.

• Advertisement

Delighted for you but your not the average person on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The thing is ... WFH is a crutch for shite public transport, ridiculous housing costs, ridiculous child care costs, and Dublin center of the Universe thinking in this country.

There are many households that can't survive without it. Likewise many households making $$$ because of it.

If it has existed 15/20 years ago both myself and my partner could have continued to work full time and also allow me to have a more meaningful relationship with my kids, and a lot lot less stress. I'm jealous of new fathers who can work from home and also deal fully with the upbringing of their little ones.

It's another luck of the Irish thing that covid and WFH enabling technology happened at the same time. It's like being English speaking when the UK left the EU, or being a tax haven when US MNCs exploded in profits.

Anyway enjoy it while you can!

That was their call to make.

Unless you're suggesting they should have taken a promotion that at that time, would have left them at a financial disadvantage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

strange place you work if people are turning down promotions all the time, yeah generally id take a pretty dim view of it.

execs and senior management are at risk all will be left are the all powerful AI developers, until if course AI doesnt need you any more either 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Since when did business's ever care about retaining good people. If there's a cheaper way of doing it then they'll do that. In this day and age you can't afford to ignore the trends especially on automation and AI.

Yes a lot of the AI stuff is overblown as hell to drive up OpenAI's investment etc and you have a lot of leaders who are utterly clueless on how it actually works.

But its obvious to those who know how it works and the very top levels that they have to embrace it or be left behind. Its the same for every business throughout history ie online shopping, cloud based architecture etc.

• Advertisement

Anyone think being in a position to half office costs is a big driver of this? Let alone to be running costs of a physical office heat, air con.

You can fight it also, some will be successful others not. Our mandated full RTO is being successfully pushed back on by some workers, being strongly enforced on some workers, and non-compliance being ignored for some (my current situation since the mandate in February this year). I am more confident that not when it comes to a head I will be authorised to be hybrid but ignoring as long as possible is better for now.

As for working from the office prior to the pandemic - it’s a different world now and things have changed both for people individually and also in the general attitudes to work. Our family life is now all arranged around fact one of us is WFH everyday and while we have no desire to change the setup it would be difficult even if we wanted to.

You're welcome to take a dim view of whatever you like. In other words, your view really doesn't matter.

Fortunately, your approval is not required for those who chose to prioritise their work/life balance over taking a promotion.

Moving on now, because your pettiness is both boring, and beneath me.

If it matters to you so little why keep responding? Its fair enough if you want to take it easy WFH and avoiding any extra responsibility but it does somewhat dilute your authority to speak on what makes a productive work environment, good management of staff etc.

In my opinion of course.

• Advertisement

Drop in the ocean for the Amazons and the Dells. Not so much for smaller companies. Its a big consideration and I know a few who are delighted with remote working.

Amazon making people come back in 5 days a week but hot desking them. Fúcking grim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Grim for Amazon workers alright. I’m finding people I work with who have been WFH since 2020 mostly fulltime, have started to appreciate and look forward to meeting up in the office at least once a week - I’d hate 5 days a week but once every week and some weeks twice is my best ideal blend

The big challenge really is - if companies have massive buildings gathering dust Mon-fri coz all staff WFH, that’s where I’m seeing a more aggressive approach from employers to get all staff back near fulltime- I’m for going in voluntary every week 1-2 times - that will keep many execs happier - especially if they can see their offices buzzing with life most days

Of course AI will play a massive part in the future of business and companies have to embrace it. But the day there isn't room in a business for a good sales person is the day that businesses ceases to exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

My payslip difference from experience working in Irish and large US companies, you can also see salary data on the likes of level.fyi and blind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

What? I worked for a US multinational and got a pay increase by moving to an Irish business. And also didn't have to do calls at stupid hours of the day to accomodate the US (they never had to accomodate us), work-life balance was better, I don't have to fight for any "perk" I might actually be entitled to.

Look I get that US companies have big deep pockets, but it doesn't mean everyone working in one is earning so much more than if they were to do the same job in another business that is not US owned & HQ'd.

Ive worked pretty much remotely for 10 years now, after leaving a 5 day a week US multinational and theres isnt a hope Id do a job that requires 5 days in the office again. I go in for 1 day and thats plenty.

The big companies couldn't give two sh1ts about their employees and will sack/make redundant anyone they like at a drop of a hat after a bumpy quarter. Youre merely a $ sign on an excel sheet that can be deleted as the last round of redundancies at Intel, Dell, IBM et al proved. Reckless stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Totally - everything else such as engagement scores and what not is either window dressing or a stick to beat poorly performing managers with

Absolute nonsense.

Tesla have already eliminated dealerships when they started up and they’re selling like hotcakes.
    if you price your product accordingly then they sell themselves.

Give it 5-10 years and you’ll see I’m right.

Tesla have a very narrow product offering to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭HurlingBoy

While I am a big fan of the hybrid model I seriously doubt that there are metrics out there to say that workers are more productively or even equally as productive at home. I would think also as we move further away from the Covid years that productivity levels WFH would have dropped. Depending on your stage in life WFH will either be a benefit or a hindrance. For the worker with a young family and long commute it's a no brainer and a huge benefit. For the young graduate possibly in a house share working in your bedroom is not healthy and they miss out on the social aspect of work and also will learn more and build up softer skills working in the office. Companies cannot give the benefit to one worker and not the other and that is the big challenge for employers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭the14thwarrior

the only reason i worked from home is that the government told me i had to work from home, and i had to take a different job.

My "real" job is service based and cannot be done at home. My team's job is the same, albeit some of them want to do their paperwork from home, which really cant be done. And phones are not forwarded / forgotten / and things that need to be looked up can;t be looked up, as its nearly all paper based..

as many others have posted, WFH will suit some people.

but for me, I have been shocked at the sh$t that goes on. and no, not on their lunch break. and no extra hours afterwards.

Just saying.

and micro managing? give me a break. a day in my shoes………..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

" I find it funny.

People who worked in office before the pandemic are making so many excuses in relation to not wanting to return to the office."

The fact that you write "excuses" instead of reasons is quite telling as to where you stand. And that's fine, you're entitled to that opinion, as are others.

If a company decides to bring everyone into the office - they can. It doesn't automatically mean they may have entirely valid reasons for doing so. And how many times is that decision the result of just one personality. The interesting part is when one company in a particular line of work wants it's employees to come in all week, whereas another company in entirely the same line of business, is more than happy to let it's employees work from home.

That fact that many employees can't or refuse to grasp this concept is scary.

Within Multinationals, If employees feel their role or teams role can be performed remotely and they actually promote that idea within their company, they are being extremely foolish.

Why would you think your employer owes you are reason to return to office?

Because a lot of people were hired under a WFH or a permanent hybrid policy which some companies are now walking back on.

A lot companies are enforcing this simply as a way of forcing people to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Applying for a promotion and then turning it down does not look good and benefits nobody.

Not applying for a promotion is fine if you have a good reason for doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Announcing a move from full remote-working to five days in the office for several thousand employees without attempting to explain the reasoning/rationale behind would obviously create issues.

Management through HR has been singing the praises of WFH (large drop in employee sick days, happier workers, no problem hiring talent, etc) - so yeah, my employer would be expected to give solid reasoning behind such a move.

Bingo!

If it is written into your contract, people might have a case but everyone else which I would say is most people in these sectors won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

weak managers want to go back to the office 5 days imo.

personally speaking I have proven I can work at home and be trusted to work from home and get everything done, meet deadlines etc. My manager trusts me and we have an ok relationship. It seems the noise about a return is coming from higher up the chain, it will be interesting to see how it plays out anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

It will be different for everyone of course, my point is that for the high paid jobs in these companies (alot of which are software engineer roles) the salaries are a lot higher and if you want a new job quickly then be prepared to take a big paycut. E.g. in US companies, a new grad will get €100k, someone with 10-15years experience is on about €200-250k. There are not many Irish companies paying more than €100k for any type of role today for engineers.

Advertisement