Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Online Census Pilot Survey 2024

• 22-09-2024 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

This is worth filling out - a glimpse of the future…

https://www.censuspilot.ie/en/index.html

RTE report on same -

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2024/0922/1471323-census/

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yeah, I filled it out. Presume it will be more detailed if it actually does go permanently online. More costly to store if everything is digitised.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭cobham

I needed to make sure to include the space in middle of Eircode!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

New questions on the Irish Census Pilot Survey include:

• where a household's car(s) is/are parked overnight [to gather insights on potential placement of electric chargers];
    • whether your gender is the same or different to the sex recorded at birth;
    • your sexual orientation;
    • how you would self-report your mental health.

They need to be careful they don't cause the same confusion as the UK National Stats did …..

The STANDARD / UK

Gender identity data from the latest census has been downgraded amid concern people may not have understood the gender question properly …..

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) said it had requested that the estimates from the 2021 survey are reclassified from being official statistics to “official statistics in development”. The 2021 census was the first time the voluntary question on gender identity was included in the wide-ranging survey, which takes place every 10 years.

Following the publication of the census data, concerns were raised that the question might have been confusing for people, especially those whose first language was not English.

*The evidence indicates that people found the question confusing and therefore gave a response that did not reflect their gender identity, if they even had one?

“… the ONS acknowledged there might have been some confusion among people answering the gender identity question.

. . . . and on it goes

Not sure why they brought in the whole Gender thing, as it's not provable or quantifiable like your sex. People get confused at Gender or sex, sex or gender or both, gender at birth, sex at birth, recorded sex, gender identity . . . and there you have the problem, as the Census Stats get muddled & distorted.

The talk in the UK is that next time they'll revert to sex recorded at birth (which cannot be changed), while leaving out the confusing question about different genders.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

You'd really have to wonder where the confusion arises.

For most people gender identity won't be an issue and filling out the questions on sex and gender should be no more difficult than questions about sexual orientation or ethnicity.

As to why they brought in the whole gender thing, it's for the same reason that they ask any other question on the census form - they're gathering data to provide for the populace going forward.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Regarding where a car is parked. People move, and die. So where a resident's car is parked during Census year, or even on Census day, can change even within days! One of my neighbours has room for the parents' two cars in the drive, but not for their children's cars which have to be parked on the road. How should they answer I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The question is asking where a car is usually parked so I suppose wherever the car is most often parked overnight is the answer.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

If that caused people confusion then you'd wonder how they manage to function at all day to day. Hardly rocket science.

My post was trying to point out that if they use the car parking information to decide where they position electric chargers, then the information they receive probably would not be helpful if two are on the driveway, and three are on the road! Of course it isn't rocket science. I manage to function quite well day to day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

And, as I suspect you know, I was referring to the Gender question, not car parking

Ah, thought it was mine. Apologies for my smart answer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement