Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has President Higgins overstepped the mark?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

You'd think he'd have learned to keep his mouth shut (or be careful about what he wrote) after the time he made a fool of himself over Castro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Caquas

RTÉ news says the Taoiseach and the Tánaiste strongly defend the President's letter to Iran.

But they did no such thing. They just dodged the question, each in their own way. Because they don't want to alienate the President's supporters who would never give a No. 1 to a Blueshirt or an FF'er but their third or fourth preferences may decide the next Dáil.

The Taoiseach doubled-down on the President's own diversionary tactic. He attacked the Israelis for defending themselves against the President's lies!(Simon doesn't understand the Jews - they have dealt with blood libels for millenia and they are prepared for what comes next).

The Tánaiste avoided spreading lies about the Israeli Embassy but went with the other Presidential lie - that this is just a "standard letter" and "normal diplomacy". Congratulating a Head of State on his election is normal but there is nothing normal or standard about the text of this letter to a prime sponsor of international terrorism. No other European country would send issue such a letter to the Iranians. And most importantly, the Tánaiste did not defend the substance of the letter or even claim to have any foreknowledge of this letter.

So now we all know that the Aras runs a secret, shadow foreign policy, flirting with the most dangerous regimes in the world. And the Government acquiesces in this although it is a clear breach of Article 29 of our Constitution.

https://www.rte.ie/news/middle-east/2024/0923/1471411-higgins-israel/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Has anyone in government come out and explained why our president is writing to the Iranian president?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yes M Martin has. The Foreign Minister. It's basic diplomacy, keeping communication lines open. It's normal. Basics. Room 101. People really need to wake up and get a grip. Israel have you all talking about the non problems.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The arrogant stance he took with the journalist following his accusations isn't a good look.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Why are we engaging with the Iranians though? Did we send a congratulations letter to victor orban when he got re-elected for example?

Also why are you mentioning the Israelis?
    Who is “you all”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

One sometimes have to laugh at these lefties.

If Ireland came under attack who is the first country we would ask and get help from…..Iran, Cuba, Saudi Arabia?

It would be the Yanks of course…..someone should tell these puffed up little marionettes some home truths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Caquas

Nonsense! And the Tánaiste knows it.

This was not a standard letter. The text went far beyond what is normal, especially when writing to a State sponsor of terror.

Horrible to think Iran Hamas were planning the mass torture, rape and murder of 6 October when this weird letter of encouragement arrived from a European Head of Stare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭baldbear

Michael D is our Joe Biden. Why didn't he just keep his mouth shut. Bad enough he wrote the letter in the first place. His wife is as bad with her letter regarding Ukraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

Curious as to how you know what is normal in communications between heads of state.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭flatty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭boetstark

Maybe it's called common decency and a few morals , something these weasels running Ireland know very little about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Harris response to the media was another ridiculous fit of bluster used to avoid giving an answer.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Field east

according to The Arus - at least while President Higgins is. Ensconced there- it is to do with protocol. Ie the president of Ireland writes to all newly/ re-elected presidents to congratulate them on their election success. Anyone out there care to find out what he wrote to Putin on his recent re elaction through FOI . And if he did not write to Putinthen he should be asked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,973 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Michael D is not our Joe Biden.

In the US, the head of state, and head of government, is the same role. In Ireland, they are separated (as they are in many other countries also).

I am pleased to see Michael D representing what is the prevailing sentiment in Irish society which is that of repulsion at the butchering Israel is carrying out in Gaza and I am largely in agreement with the Irish government not expelling the Jewish ambassador because, you know, politics, I am glad we have someone decent enough and in a position where they can express genuine disgust at the behaviour of this Israeli Government and its organizations most prevalent in disruptive tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Are you also glad he's a liar who can't admit to being wrong?

He says Israel "leaked" his letter. That is a lie.

The letter was published by the Iranian embassy on their X account and then was shown in an Israeli newspaper three days later.

Why is he making stuff up?

I don't care.

Israel (or their supporters) are in no position to demand high standards from others with respect to the accuracy in their statements. No position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭baldbear

He wrote a congratulatory letter to the Iranian president, was it meant to be a secret letter? A regime that murders it's own people. A kip. They then publicise his letter on twitter.

And then he blames Israel for leaking the letter. Conspiracy nonsense or a man going a bit doddery?

This is an embarrassing episode.

This country looks stupid and not credible when this man opens his mouth like this. Do yourself a favour and don't look at any Israeli social media accounts rightfully taking the piss out of us. Embarrassing.

If you're going to criticise any country in his position you do it with facts, you don't make sh!t up that leaves you and the office open to ridicule.

• Advertisement

In the current climate, what I find embarrassing is people getting outraged on Israel's behalf.

They are long overdue being called out for their actions, or how they act more specifically.

You're trying to defend the president clowning himself and us by telling a lie to the media. It doesn't matter what the lie pertains to or who.

You criticise with facts in public other wise you are not taken seriously, are mocked and ridiculed by the very people you despise and others.

I'm applauding our President for calling out Israel. More should do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

this whole thing is a non-issue.
    the president is likely right, israel did leak the letter to sturr crap because that is what israel does.
    israel supporters are in no position to claim anyone is lieing when their favourite evil regime has been lieing about everything since the foundation of israel.
    liar liar israel and iran are the same cheek of the same backside.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It was Michael D who went off on a mad conspiratorial rant about Israel and his letter, until it was shown that the Iranians published it online.

The all powerful Jews weren't behind it.

The Iranian embassy first published the letter on X. Not hard to understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

and possibly triggering a constitutional crisis if he in any sense implied MDH was a 'thundering disgrace'…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

The whole thing is an international embarrassment. Writing a congratulatory letter to the head of a pariah state that sponsors internationally recognized terror groups and that brutally represses its own people.

And then couldn't keep his clown mouth shut when questioned about it, instead spoofing Israel conspiracies.

Someone needs to hook him off the stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Or some people see Iran as it is, a complete and utter toilet run by cave men.

Post edited by silliussoddius on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭tjhook

The letter - I don't care about it. One head of state congratulating another on their election… In the same way that he spoke about how great Castro was, he has the right to his opinion. Even if I disagree with his opinion.

But the way he handled the whole issue afterwards has been terrible. He's behaved like a petulant toddler. It's hard to take him seriously.

Video here of him being questioned by the media here whom all know the letter first appeared from the Iranian embassy. He can't seem to just say he was wrong.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/president-michael-d-higgins-says-it-was-improper-for-israel-to-comment-on-his-letter-to-president-of-iran/a2122835679.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It's hard to take him seriously.

TBH I haven't been able to take him seriously since I furst saw this sketch many moons ago

"He's gas isn't he yeah!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

If Hitler were still around, no doubt the hobbitesque Michael D. Baggins would be sending condolences to the Germans on his death. Like old Bilbo, I wish McGiggitty would just literally vanish on his next brithday and go away to live with the elves 😆

Tik Tok and Mehole are just as bad, hopefully they'll both be history by the next election.

Nice use of inflaming language there.

Curious choice to introduce it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

He's an embarrassment,time for him to resign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

He grew up poor in Limerick. When did the posh accent kick in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Calling out Israel? He blamed them for leaking a letter he wrote to the president of Iran!

I don't have an issue with a letter of congratulations to another head of state, diplomatic relations and protocol cover such issues.

And I don't have any problem with Michael D as president, on a personal level, I'm not a big fan, but I can see he has been a good president overall for this country.

But off the top of his head deciding to blame Israel for leaking it? Embarrassing. And nothing to be proud of there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

But the president wrongly blaming another country in public for something they didn’t even do - that doesn’t seem far more inflammatory to you than a sentence on a discussion forum??

Looks like the poster is just putting words on what Pdt Higgins actually did - but you’re annoyed at the poster? 🙄

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭CarProblem

What about irish citizens who are not supporters of Israel? Can they demand higher standards? Is it ok for them to lambaste this clown for embarrassing the country and abusing his position (again) but being too egotistical to back down? I know the last statement may shock you and others; that people can critically analyse each idea on its own merits and not simply pick a side and defend it regardless

@endoftheroad those of us who don't wear blinkers and subscribe to identity politics all know the Iranian embassy published the letter on twitter. At the time the media didn't report on their favourite Marxist writing to despots so (like that imbecile Harris) are now feigning ignorance

I assume if he or another politician was to write to a leader of a country that wasn't flavour of the month with blinkered lefties that would be ok too? Of course it wouldn't. Has critical thinking been abandoned by some or is it simple a case of "Iran and Higgins dislike Israel - hence everything they do is ok and must be defended at all cost despite making us look foolish and hypocrites (more so)"

But off the top of his head deciding to blame Israel for leaking it?

It's not off the top of the head. They have absolute form for this. And more. And way too often and too obviously media/news/political commentators and officials give them an absolute pass and then run to their defense in targeting anyone who even remotely challenges them.

"It's not off the top of the head" - maybe if you try reading posts slowly they may sink in. The Iranian embassy posted it on twitter, for whatever reason that clown went on a crusade against Israel

"And way too often and too obviously media/news/political commentators and officials give them an absolute pass and then run to their defense in targeting anyone who even remotely challenges them" - the exact opposite happens in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You really cant bring yourself to criticise Iran.

'embarrassing the country'

Except he didn't embarrass the country. This is how the Israeli embassy responded to what he said according to the BBC News website.

"Unfortunately in Ireland, since the October 7 invasion by Hamas and massacre in Israel, which triggered this awful war, Israel has been subjected to a high level of malicious statements and accusations that have often manifested as incitement to hatred.

That is how they reacted to what he said, they didn't hold back in accusing the country of inciting hatred against them.

And note, this article on the BBC is from yesterday and makes no mention of the letter being published on Twitter. Do we know the timeline of when he was referring to as to the letter having been circulated and it having been published on X? Did the former definitely happen before the latter?

Also, we've seen Israel try to deflect by pointing fingers at countries who are disgusted by their behavior (South Africa for example). It's embarrassing to see Irish people do some of this work for them.

The **** are you talking about? Like seriously? Is that your response?

It's like watching a Fox News panel being asked about Trump.

• Advertisement

@Tell me how "Except he didn't embarrass the country" in your opinion, in mine (and many others) he did. And it's not the first time

"this article on the BBC is from yesterday and makes no mention of the letter being published on Twitter" so what? It was published, I saw it with my two eyes (can't promise you what date it was published but I first saw it on July 31st, how do I remember the date? I messaged someone on whatsapp about it and just checked my history). Harris has also claimed he has no idea how it was made public - he's either obfuscating or is a liar/idiot

"It's like watching a Fox News panel being asked about Trump". Pot. Kettle. Black.

Anyway - think that's the end of my interactions here. Talking to Left idealogues always remind me of various Mark Twain quotes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Some people just see how Iran treat gays, women, how they view Jews and that's it. All their other political beliefs out the window.

Post edited by Danzy on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Even if the Israeli story was true (which by all accounts it isn't), why on earth would he write such a letter with any expectation of privacy around it? There is no point calling it standard diplomatic protocol when the standard protocol would be to make the communication public anyway.

He has obfuscated ever further now and suggested they didn't "leak it" but are responsible for "circulating it". He comes across pretty terribly at every stage of this debacle.

People are responding to me here and I can't see the posts because of this hidden posts thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement