Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans lifted - see OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭bjsc

I can find no evidence that anyone entered the house until Eugene Gilligan arrived from Dublin at @ 23.00. He says he was handed the keys by Sgt Prendevlle. He tried the front door but couldn't open it because the keys were in it so he entered by the back door instead. At that time all the lights were off. I imagine the keys he was given were Josie's as there appear to have been only 2 sets. But we don't know exactly how they got from Josie to the Guards. As she was meeting Sophie there she may not initially have brought her set with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭batman75

Very hard to see this tragic murder ever being solved. I guess the international aspect to the case must have added to pressure on the Gardai. Either way they made a balls of the investigation and worse still they pushed a narrative that one specific person had killed her. Was Bailey handy fall guy. The DPP decided they hadn't sufficient legal basis to charge their number one suspect. How seriously did they consider alternative explanations for her murder?

It was a terrible injustice that STDP was murdered. An injustice compounded by a botched investigation and the wrongful pointing of the finger at Bailey. Wrongful in the sense that legally the Gardai couldn't prove he did it to the extent where even the DPP ridiculed the investigation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I see it the same way. It also depicted the French justice system in a very bad light. Convicting somebody for murder on hearsay and no evidence beyond reasonable doubt. I often wonder if Sophie's family in France are so naive or stupid to really belive this?

It would worry me very much if an innocent man would be sentenced for murder, regardless who he was. At the same time, it wouldn't bother me, if Bailey would have rotted in a French jail, if there was actual real evidence. But there wasn't anything. Even Sophie's son would have to understand that at some point regardless of his pain upon the death of his mother.

The miscarriage of justice and everything else went this way, because nearly everyone involved can't be trusted. This sadly starts with Dermot Dwyer. No excuses, but if you're the CEO, or the captain, or the department manager of whatever, you're responsible for the whole lot, all the way down. If Dwyer didn't care or that was "his style of working" then one can only say that in such an organization, it's like a fish which starts to stink right from the head. I truly think there should have been disciplinary consequences for Dwyer on how the investigation was botched up, from lost evidence, pages torn out of job books to giving drugs to transients and coercing a witness. What happend here was nothing minor.

The Irish police was corrupt and incompetent, their practices unacceptable, all the characters from Alfie to Bolger to Finbar Hellens and Bailey had prior issues with the law, Marie Farrell can't be trusted either, the French judiciary most likely acted upon influence of Daniel's family.

Without DNA or fingerprints or other solid evidence the case would have been a difficult one in the first place as well.

The only part which prevented an innocent man to be sent to jail for murder was the Irish judiciary.

Post edited by tinytobe on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

“I often wonder if Sophie's family in France are so naive or stupid to really belive this?”

I had got the “feeling” that her son Pierre-Louis Baudey Vignaud- when interviewed on TLL some time ago, was then starting to be more open to there being an alternative narrative than simply Bailey killed her. I can’t recall now why I thought that but it felt that even he was asking questions.

But then I see this from a few days ago-

“Mr Baudey-Vignaud noted that Mr Bailey had been convicted of murder by a French court and that he was personally “sure” of the man’s guilt. 

“I think it’s a little bit too easy that you wait for the best suspect [Ian Bailey] - which was recognised as the one in France - [to die before you] admit something,” he said.”

https://www.newstalk.com/news/not-fair-for-my-family-sophie-toscan-du-plantiers-son-responds-to-tanaistes-remarks-1766570

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭jesuisjuste

Personally I think that given the strides in DNA testing in the 30 years since the murder occurred, (we've gone from blood type testing with spoonfuls required, to touch DNA), how it is being used to increasingly convict numerous cold cases throughout the world, how it has already flagged new DNA in this particular case too over a decade ago (2011/2012), indicates to me that it is almost certain there is more to find, if the gardai can prevent any remaining samples being destroyed or 'lost'. If this is done, I believe that the killer will be identified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

Pierre-Louis seems to be convinced it was Bailey, I don't recall him discussing any other suspects when on the LLS. I guess he has had the Gardai telling him all along that it was Bailey and only a matter of time until he was charged.

This is an April 2024 article so may have been covered on the thread already - I mean does this not shout “person of interest”?

https://www.thesun.ie/news/12662557/sophie-toscan-du-plantier-murder-probe-mystery-man-id/amp/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

I had a 9am time in my head but his statement says 11am.

So he got up shortly after 2.30am and returned from the studio at 11am.

Would he have slept in the studio?

Maybe someone can make a definitive statement on this who is closer and more familiar with all the evidence.

He appears to have started writing the article in the house- then went to the studio to type it up is what I’ve read elsewhere in this thread.
    it seems like a long time to write an article but it’s certainly possible too - you’d wonder given the time of night that he may have fell back asleep on a couch or something ?

But certainly 9am coffee with Jules is what I’ve had in my head for a long time now- I don’t know how it moved to 11am

• Advertisement

@bjsc can you clarify the timeline.

• Monday 23rd, Two gardai arrived after the call from Shirley and put the message out there was a murder (Prendeville & I forget), then
    • Doctor, priest, and Twomey arrived around noon (not together), outer cordon set up?
    • Bailey and others started hanging around after 2 p.m.
    • Some of the forensics team arrived in the afternoon timeframe.
    • Later that evening Gilligan and colleagues arrived from Dublin, first went to the police station with no one there, then ended up at the house at 23.00. (this is the first time anyone entered the house?)
    • The next day 24th, Dwyer and Harbison et al arrived
    • During that day they went back into the house again with Josie to evaluate whether anything was amiss

Is this correct?

• Follow up, when did Noel Smith arrive was that with the forensics team?

Post edited by jesuisjuste on

At the end of the day everything after he got out of bed at 2.30 until around 9 a.m. is effectively Bailey giving his own alibi. After 9 he could not have made it back on foot in time anyway so it doesn't really matter.

I imagine he's been somewhat vague/inconsistent over the years on the specifics of his timeline, which would be reasonable on a nondescript night in the middle of winter when you're already drunk and an alcoholic. Once he was accused of murder anything he said could be used against him as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The DPP report appears to suggest 9am for breakfast

The Gardaí place Bailey around 3.00 a.m. or 4.00 a.m. on 23 December 1996 at Kealfadda Bridge washing blood off his clothes, he later sneaks back to the house and there gets a camera, goes back to the scene of the murder, waits until it is bright and then takes photographs of the scene, he then goes home has breakfast with Jules Thomas at 9.00 a.m

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I would largely believe that Pierre-Louis Baudey Vignaud is very much upset by his mother's murder and that to date it's still not solved. I think anybody would be upset. His English does also not appear to be that good, so that a strong understanding on how the process in Ireland and the UK would work in terms of courts and conviction might be hard to understand?

Apart from that in his professional capacity he's in a job where one would believe he's a smart man as well. What I also supsect is that he was most likely born into a well to do family and a good financial background and the legal system in France probably did an influencial family a favour as well? Daniel's family seems to have an influential background.

There would be one way of approaching this:

I understood that the cavity blocks at the pumphouse were not easy to take, not easy to remove, one would have to have done an awful lot of things to take one of them. There was some roof covering everything, which one would have removed with force, possibly a point of injury or leaving DNA traces. This is where I would have searched in my investigation.

If one would have been able to actually find DNA or fingerprints there, it would have been unique to the crime, not someting anybody would normally touch coming and going and visiting somebody. ( That is unless a contractor was working on the pumphouse before ).

It is understood, that initially the killer used a stone to kill Sophie, but later on he decided to finish her off with a cavity block. Why wouldn't the rock do the job? Why go the extra length and the extra energy to remove the cavity block, especially if time was of the essence to avoid being seen? All good questions.

This would also suggest that the killer was familiar with pump houses and a rural environment.

I am aware that they re-examined the cavity block for DNA and then travelled to Paris France to interview a man? Were they taking DNA samples from this man? ( If so, it was probably not a match otherwise we'd heard about it by now)

With many now dead ( Bailey, Alfie, Wolney, "horny" Guard from Bantry), the only others alive and of closer interest would probably be Leo Bolger, Finbar Hellens and that man in Paris France. I would suspect they would all have to have provided a DNA sample as part of the investigation?

Without a warrant, I expect they would have had to consent to provide DNA. I imagine that consent was not forthcoming from anyone besides Bailey, and the gardai would not have received a warrant for anyone else from a judge owing to the fact they only had one suspect. In any case I don't think they sought one, but if anyone else knows more please share.

Fingerprints DNA etc. unique to the crime is a pretty high bar, but for sure even if there was evidence there that wasn't categorically unique it may be more than enough for an arrest depending on who left it, and at least severe questioning, perhaps even to be brought to trial for a jury to decide.

This crime can't be solved without some decent evidence, and DNA would very clear. Ultimately one needs proof beyond reasonable doubt for a conviction not a sighting at Kealfadda bridge, say 3 or 5 kilometers away…..

If they would have found Alfie's DNA on the roof of the pumphouse he could have argued that he had water pressure problems in his house the night or day before and was investigating the matter. That'll be more difficult then.

However if Ian Bailey's, Leo Bolger's, Finbar Hellen's, or that Paris based French man's DNA was found on the roof of the pumphouse it would have been hard to explain away. That automatically begs the question what they were doing there as they don't live there.

• Advertisement

Where did she install the fence, was it new or just maintenance?

For the gates I believe there was one gate at the back of her house two gates at the bottom of the lawn one on either side I think (correct?), as well as the common gate, which everyone behind had use of so by default a right of way. I presume she owned & purchased all three of those gates, but not sure who took ownership of the 4th gate. Perhaps if she wanted it the most then she ponied up to purchase it. In any case she must have been pretty steadfast about keeping her boundaries intact.

Yeh, I would think that to be convincing for a jury it would need to be either the perpetrators blood, or if not then some DNA like skin, or spit/sweat with cells found within Sophie's blood, on her person or on one of the weapons. It has to beat reasonable doubt. If your DNA is on the stone/block used to murder her, and you can't account for your whereabouts, then I'd be pretty nervous in front of a jury.

If it was a total unknown with no reason to have ever been there, the bar would be much lower of course. Just demonstrating they were in the vicinity at all would prob be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭chooseusername

The fence is on her boundary by the Eastern gable, (strangely it has been removed in photos taken later) I don't know when it was erected. I assumed it was put up the same time as the gates.

Sophie purchased 2 field gates and Finbarr Hellen put them up a year or so before the murder.

The red gate here is from the lane into her lawn and the yellow gate is in the lane onto the right of way for all 3 properties. Both gates were open on the morning after the murder as they are in the photo.

The green gate here is at the back of the house near the back door

The only access to Alfie's field where the horses were, is either through the red gate and up the lawn in front of Sophie's house, or along the lane at the rear of the house and through the green gate. Access would be possible through Hellen's land, but that would be unlikely knowing the relationship between Hellens and Alfie

Two additional boundary through access ways. I think the orange circle at some point was marked out with trees, it perhaps had previously been open, with access I would think to Alfie's field?

The blue circle shows another gate opposite the pump house area which I presume gave access to the lower fields (Hellen's I would think, but perhaps Alfie could use it too). Perhaps it was installed later by her son, or Finbar

I don't know when these photos were taken but they're from the koude kaas website probably a few years later I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭housetypeb

How could he have time to commit the murder if he got up around 2.30 or so to write his article and was seen washing his clothes around 3-4 o'clock at the bridge? Doesn't make any sense time wise.

• Advertisement

Those photos would be from some time after the murder alright, you can see the shed has been re-roofed and the guttering on the house has been changed. The shed and part of what was Alfie's field at the time of the murder changed hands and now belong to Pierre-Louis' (around 2016 I think). The blue gate is interesting, it certainly wasn't there at the time of the murder, it's into Hellen's land. Here's a still from a much later video of Sophie's gate and you can see silage (probably Hellen's) stored on Sophie's/Pierre-louis' lawn.

It's not unusual for for locals to take advantage of holiday property when vacant.

“the bridge” sighting on balance was not Bailey - certainly Marie has retracted that it was as far as I can tell - they were a smaller build apparently - and quite possibly had nothing to do with the murder or at least that Sophie wasn’t murdered at that time given food contents found and more likely was killed much later that morning ie early breakfast

But depends what you want to believe - they’re is no true definitive version - many things are still up for debate

Thanks, I also found this image on the website, and I can't figure out what it is depicting, or its importance. It looks like an older gate refashioned as a fence of some sort? Is this close to where she was found?

Prendiville and Byrne arrive at 10.38. Prendiville goes to Alfie's house and Byrne stays with Sophie. Dr O Connor arrived at 10.55 and left at 11.10. He did go to Alfie's as well. At roughly the same time Prendiville leaves Alfie's. Pat Joy arrived at 11.55. He says he arrived with Garda.Malone but Malone's arrival is not logged until 12.05. Father Cashman also arrived at 11.55 and left 5 minutes later. JP Twomey is logged in at 12.05. He approaches Sophie's house but finds it secure. Finbar Hellen arrived at 12.35 and identified the body. There is no mention of Josie Hellen's arrival but in her first statement she says that she had arranged to meet Sophie at midday. Pat Joy left at 12.38 and JP Twomey at 12.50. Pat Joy must have returned at some unlogged time as he is recorded as leaving again at 14.47 with Malone and Prendiville. Other officers arrive on scene. Reardon and Slattery at 14.10 and Healey at 14.15. All 3 leave at 14.45. Garda Malone returns at 15.37 and takes over the scene log from Garda Byrne.

Post edited by bjsc on

Could someone have been there trying to steal the pump from the pumphouse and were interrupted? That might explain why some blocks had been moved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭head82

I'm curious as to what triggered Sophies family recent interest in revisiting this case. After Bailey was found guilty in a French court it seemed her family had achieved 'closure' (of sorts).. despite Bailey not being extradited to serve his sentence. When Sophies son appeared on the Late, Late, Show.. he seemed satisfied that justice had been served.

Have the French authorities discovered something that casts doubt on their Bailey conviction? The AGS file submitted to the French authorities.. which focused primarily on Bailey to the exclusion of any other suspect and arguably determined the resulting 'Guilty' verdict .. can't have been the only factor in this resurgence of interest.

Perhaps bjsc might be able to shed some light on this. I realize you are most likely compromised as to what you can reveal as you are assisting Sophies family in this but anything you can share within your remit would be welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Mannesmann

Surely they could have taken the top of it off without damaging the blocks? Maybe it was being used to store drugs?

I would imagine that now that Bailey is dead, and the French have found him guilty, they are probably of the opinion that all of the remaining evidence should be released to them. This is the type of thing that the political side could really push for. Closed-door briefing for the family and a senior politician and judge, sworn to secrecy etc. Why would the Irish government hold off on this, conveniently the cold case might be an excuse to hold back.

If they are requesting further information and still getting stonewalled then that would be a major red flag.

I presume finbar was contacted specifically to come and identify the body?

• Advertisement

I hope they are getting “stonewalled”- the first priority is for the Gardai to do their job which is to investigate and compile evidence and present their file on an organised and logical manner to the DPP for comment and direction - it’s not their job to start sending on their evidence and comments to anyone external to this investigation - they can certainly be polite and state investigations are ongoing but that should be all they’re saying at this stage until their investigation fully concludes

The Irish government should not in any way get involved at this particular stage - it’s still an active investigation - last thing it needs is government interference given the sh1t show it’s been for the last 27 years

Just jumping back to this point, I found a detail in one of the statements that would seem to indicate that Leo Bolger almost certainly voluntarily gave a sample of his hair/DNA also, as it was at essentially the same time as Bailey. @bjsc do you have a record of anyone else. I think you may have mentioned this before apologies if I'm rehashing something here.

Imo this would indicate pretty strongly that Bolger wasn't involved in the murder.

Makes sense.

How about Finbar Hellens? Did he give a DNA sample? Was he asked? Did he refuse?

Not at all. According to his statement he was going there to check on his livestock. He had no prior knowledge of the murder.

It is unclear how many individuals were initially asked for samples. Of those who were sampled ten people's hair samples were sent for analysis. Other than Bailey and Thomas no blood samples were sent for analysis. As the only hair recovered was Sophie's own nothing was ever done with any of the hair samples.

To me Finbarr Hellens would be suspect like all the others. At least that's what I can recall reading. He did have a brush with the law once, some argument about a farm animal which turned violent? However I don't see any grounds for an argument with Sophie. He was allowed to use her land to graze his animals, I take it.

"Imo this would indicate pretty strongly that Bolger wasn't involved in the murder."

It was a cut hair sample, so afaik not good for DNA. (Stand to be corrected on this)

Leo and Sally Bolger had been coming and going around the locale for some time to tend their horses, so traces, fingermarks, footprints etc would be all over the place.

Ok but his wife didn't show up for her scheduled meeting with Sophie prior to his arrival at the scene?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Finbarr Hellen iirc was surprised Sophie didnt say hello as he was passing the cottage.

A curious point. May not have meant she was avoiding him but some of her behaviour that trip was atypical.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Yes apologies I probably jumped the gun there it doesn't typically yield DNA, so probably much less exculpatory, although it is somewhat indicative of cooperation etc. for Leo and whomever else provided theirs. It would be very interesting if anyone refused a hair sample.

Maybe Sohphie was distracted with something, or on the phone with somebody? Apparently she gotten on well with both the Hellens, Finbar and Josie.

However this is what I've found on Finbar:

In 1972, one Finbar Hellen and his father Francis Hellen were summoned for assault and conduct likely to lead to a breach in the peace in a case heard in Schull Court before Justice William F O’Connell.  Finbar Hellen was accused of assaulting Joseph O’Connell, Dunmanus, by driving a bicycle at him on 14 October 1971.  ‘The father said he had hunted the other woman out of the land which witness had the grazing of’ and they would hunt O’Connell and the owner out too.  Justice O’Connell remarked, ‘The Irish people are inclined to become very emotionally concerned about land … one would have to go back in history to find the source of these disputes’ (Southern Star, 11 March 1972, ‘Farmer-Neighbours Must Resolve Their Differences’).  In 1973 Francis Hellen, Dunmanus East, was awarded £50 damages against Michael Goggin of Gloun, Schull for trespass of cattle on Hellen’s land entered via land sold by Goggin to a Dutchman (Southern Star, 7 April 1973).  Finbar Hellen was described as ‘a hot and impetuous person’ who ‘seems to think that anything he says whether true or false will be believed by the court’ in a case heard at Schull Court in December 1975 where he was accused of assaulting Michael Goggin (who lived with his uncle, John O’Driscoll at Dunmanus, Toormore) ‘by striking him with his fist and kicking him’ and causing malicious damage to his car.  The dispute was over a bullock.  John O’Driscoll described Francis and Finbarr Hellen as ‘two lunatics’ when he was confronted by them.  He said, ‘Finbarr’s eyes were like two poles of fire in his head and there was frath (sic) coming from Francis’s mouth … Finbarr said he would kill me and that Goggin would be killed for sure’ (Southern Star, 27 December 1975).  Justice M J O’Hara described O’Driscoll’s language as ‘real Sean O’Casey.’  In Co Kerry it might be described as ‘real John B Keane.’

We don't know that. There are other people at the scene who don't appear on the log. Jim Fitzgerald for one. Josie tells the press and subsequently gives a statement to the French authorities saying that she arrived at around 12.00.

This is Finbar's account of that day. He is logged in at 12.35 which would put Josie's arrival at around midday. Which ties in with the time she said she was supposed to meet Sophie.

Is there any account of young John’s movements at that time? He usually accompanied his father, they visited Drinnane together on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭Evergreen_7

with modern techniques you can, but definitely not back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Baz Richardson

Surely there would be a lot of DNA found if the site was contaminated? That suggests it was not contaminated.

I'd have a thought a nice sunny day and UV rays far more damaging to evidence than a cold winter day? Wouldn't cold be an ideal preserver of evidence not a destroyer of it?

How would forensic material be "lost" before forensics got there at 10pm when there was no contamination evident from the DNA test results?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Agreed, the "forensic evidence" that was lost was not any DNA that might be present - but;

Shirley's car driving down the lane after the body was discovered, (bringing bags of rubbish to the dump) may have obliterated the faint tyre marks that were present.

Likewise, footprints around the area.

Even that tarp that was used to cover the deceased lady may have HAD substances on it, or may have rubbed against the body and damaged whatever was there.

And finally, the body temperature drop post mortem must have been accelerated by the cold temperatures of the December night, making it much harder to determine the time of death.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Baz Richardson

Oh yes I agree, but I was puzzled by the OP inferring missing DNA evidence due to contamination when it would surely be the opposite. 😉

Course it’s not the opposite. Relevant DNA was probably lost. Irrelevant dna was probably added. It’s an outdoor scene, that’s the biggest factor. The first 24 hours is absolutely crucial.

• Advertisement
Advertisement