Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

No new thread needed, they all act the same and no limit of posts in a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭C4000

Some of the younger Limerick cohort really performing well this weekend, Shane O'brien 0-7, O Dalaigh 0-6, Aidan O Connor 3-9 and Adam English 0-8.

Over format of the championship could do with a refresh. Patrickswell three losses and still through to quarter finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Knockdromin

The format is delivering exactly as intended in terms of delivering the best 4 teams to the semi finals but it seems to be the same 4 teams for nearly a decade now?

Aside from when South Liberties earned a shock win over Patrickswell in the 2022 semi finals it has been Kilmallock, Doon, Na Piarsaigh and Patrickswell in the semi finals every year since Ballybrown made the 2016 final and it looks likely to be the same 4 once again this year.

It’s gone stale. The format suits the big 4 as there’s no real jeopardy until next weekend. Senior B is more wide open but the team that goes up generally tends to come straight back down. And then you have Ahane in limbo for the last 5 years - 5th place every year, just short of competing with the big 4 and good enough to retain their place in Senior A.

Open draw on two non tiered groups of 6 would add a bit of variety. But an even bigger issue we need to address is how we can go so long with effectively a closed shop of top tier teams. Up until the mid 2010’s there would have been a greater rotation of teams making the last 4. Good on those clubs as they obviously have their house in order but is there anything that can be done to help bring other clubs on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭rjoe90

I think we are getting to the stage where the gap is closing on the big 4. We saw that with Ahane beating Doon last weekend and running a few teams close. Monaleen look promising also with some talented young players that have come through in the last few years. Mungret although had a poor year are getting closer aswel with their underage success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,417 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Doon had nothing to play for. Ahane are pretty average. Lots of good work in Monaleen and Mungret alright.

There is no big 4 in Limerick GAA. A big 3,4, whatever tag is always in relation to teams who dominate for generations so it's a bit rich to call NaP who are only recently successful and Doon who have never won a county the "big 4". It's like saying Limerick and Clare are part of the "big 3" in intercounty.

Ahane aren’t quite at that top level but certainly aren’t “average”. They ran every team close in senior A and beat Mungret.

There is a big 4 performance wise over the last 10 years though. Each of them has been in the semi final consistently over that period and very few teams outside the “big 4” have been able to actually beat them.

Ahane are running teams close in a system where the title contenders are looking to peak later in the tournament. They are nowhere near causing any trouble in ado or die game.

There is currently a best 4 but I don't think it's anything to worry about or says much about Limerick hurling. Teams will come and go same as before.

Hard to know, but they are certainly not “average”.

Eventually this will change yeah and will more than likely be Monaleen/Mungret who do put an end to this current big 4 we’ve had for the last 10 years.

Post edited by rjoe90 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭HurlingBoy

Mungret and Monaleen have huge population centres and are doing alot of good work underage so likely that they will join NaP and you will have a big 3 contending. Pwell, Kilmallock, Doon etc will always have tradition but it will be difficult for them stay in the top 4.

• Advertisement

The Well have managed it so far and the population of that area is probably only going to grow. It's less than a 10 minute drive from Ballycummin. They should be trying to pick up kids from clubless Raheen if they are not already.

Much harder for somewhere like Doon which doesn't have the history or the numbers.

Doon have Oola as well to pick from and although they have never won a Senior would have always been in the senior grade and would always have representation on Limk minor, U20 etc. There has been very little new housing estates built in rural villages in the last 20 years so rural clubs are likely to struggle going forward in terms of numbers.

Ya you can see it all over the country with city and big market town teams in the ascendancy. With numbers getting smaller and travel getting easier we will probably see a raft of amalgamations at senior level in the not too distant future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

They've been the 4 semi finalists for 6 of the last 7 years I believe so obvious why they've currently that tag.

Yeah and since 2016 no other team outside the big 4 has been in a county final,

Doon were already assured of a semi final spot. Different story if something was on the line for them.

• Advertisement

Weird response to be honest. It was about as clear as can be that the context was within the last decade of county championships where those 4 clubs have had an almost unbroken lockout of the semi final positions.

The post to me read like you were describing the Limerick hurling championship to be something like La Liga or Scottish soccer where everyone except the "big" whatever have no hope.

You called it a "closed shop" but I don't think it's correct to call anything that over a 10 year period especially with 2 teams who were never successful before that period. You called it an "issue we need to address" but there is no issue.

Would be great to see divisional teams back. If I recall there was Eastern Gales, Southern Gaels etc made up of Junior teams from each division. Probably very difficult to implement with the split season now and such a small window for club games. Hego and CON on the same team v Pwell would be interesting. Championship gone stale with practically same last 4 every year.

I called it “effectively a closed shop” which is not the same as a “closed shop”.

Do you really not see how the the same four teams having an almost unbroken hold on the semi final spots for the best part of a decade cannot be analogously (and given how pedantic you are on semantics I actually have to clarify that I’m speaking analogously rather than literally) termed as effectively a closed shop or a big 4? Stop arguing for the sake of arguing, you know full well what I mean.

As for something needing to be addressed - yes, we need more competitive clubs. The day we don’t strive for that is the day we may as well just call it a day.

If we found ourselves in a situation where 4 counties locked out the All Ireland semi final positions for 9 out of 10 years we’d be hearing non stop about the state of the game and how to bring more counties back into the fold.

"The day we don’t strive for that is the day we may as well just call it a day"

Some teams currently (and currently is the massive word in all this) does not mean people are not "striving for" more competitive clubs. If there were no signs that other clubs are coming up I would understand your point but the "big 4" are not tearing underage competitions apart and don't look like they will all be the obvious semi finalists when the next generation comes around.

There just isn't a problem here.

• Advertisement

We’ve had 3 winners in 15 years. When you compare that to other championships like Clare/tipp it is very much a closed shop. That’s why it’s good to see the rest of the pack getting closer

Donal O’Grady a sensible appointment for the minors next season after his four years with the senior set up.

Give Dowling a back room role with the seniors or under 20’s and let him build up a bit of experience. I wouldn’t say a word against him for accepting the role, he was offered it, he backed himself but unfortunately it didn’t work out.

The county board on the other hand - hopefully they have now learned not to give managerial roles to inexperienced 30/31 year olds. They need to do the right thing by him now and not completely cut him adrift.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I haven't been at a lot of the club senior matches but have seen a few( all in division b) the standout player I saw was David reidy v liberties I thought he was outstanding, also I saw a bit of o dalaigh I wouldn't know a whole pile about him but he certainly has pace and we need that in our inside lines

Galtee Gaels registering just 1 point in a SFC county quarter final must be some kind of record. Conditions must have been horrendous in Kilmallock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭slegs

Adam English is burning it up in the county championship and will be a stalwart of the Limerick team for next few years

Yes, I think Adam English should be a nailed on starter next season. His versatility has probably cost him a starting place as he can play any position from 8-15. I think the inside line beside Gillane might be his best position. The infusion of new players to the starting 15 will be key for JK next season. The 5 in a row is gone now so it should be a blank canvass for JK with everyone having to fight for their position. Inevitably some players that were nailed on starters over the last 7 years are going to have become impact subs or squad players. The key is keeping everyone hungry for success and take on whatever role is required by the group.

I think considering the amount of forwards we have that cathal o Neill should get an extended run in the half back line what'd ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭einn32

There's definitely a pace issue with Hannon so maybe O Neill goes there. Byrnes didn't have a good year but I'd back him to bounce back.

I think that is the plan for CON to be the starting centre back when Hannon is gone. He has played there a couple of times when Hannon injured or league and done well.

Pace was never one of Hannon’s primary attributes so if that’s being exposed, as it was against Cork both times, that’s a symptom of problems elsewhere with the system. And in particular I’d point to the support offered by the midfield and half forward lines.

The success levels would have been nowhere near what they were if the team regularly left Hannon and Byrnes in open space vulnerable to one on ones with a pacey opponent solo runner going around them. It wasn’t uncommon to see opposition avoiding Hayes’ wing - you can run at him but unlike the other two he has pace. And if you’re turned over on that side of our defence we have himself and Nash who can quite comfortably carry the ball forward and take their own score.

Any potential reshuffle of the defence does hang on how next Monday goes for Speedy Gonzalez though :-/

The support and overall defensive shift from 8-12 is vital for the half back line. O’Donovan was a big loss, Lynch was inconsistent, O’Donoghue was okay but not quite at his best.

• Advertisement

A lot of young players shooting the lights out in the club championship this year. Some serious impressive tallies here.

Doon Vs Na Piarsaigh county final.

Just going of live scores and social media it looks like Doon won handy with the game over at half time and didn't get any easier for the Well when Aaron Gillane got sent off.

Na Piarsaigh came from 3 points down at half time to finally go ahead from a late Will Henn score after closing the gap with a goal.

Only the weight of Doon having never won a county Vs NaP's consistent success can possibly stop Doon who are easily the form team this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭thesultan

Illmalliock must be kicking themselves to lose that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I was trying to follow the action on Twitter. Were the local radio stations not covering it? I only heard ads and music whenever I checked in on 95fm and WLR. Twitter went silent for nearly 10 minutes after the winning score so I had no idea if the final whistle had been blown or what. Delighted for the lads, but it does look like Doon should be the favourites in the final.

Anyway, hon the Club!

No local radio wasn't covering it which was a shock to me too.

Na Piarsaigh twitter went quite I assume because people were going nuts.

What's the Scor app is very good as long as your team is involved. NaP used to be on it but not anymore but Kilmallock still are so today's game was covered. I think it's voluntary like the old Aertel days.

Doon very impressive early on, 15 points to 2 up after 20 mins. Adam English looking very sharp and Richie landed three massive range points. The well came back to a decent extent and got it down to 4 points at one stage. Gillane two yellows, one for a late hit, the other for a loose hit to the balls on Barry Murphy.

Doon finished the game off very well. Maher at full forward finished off two clinical moves and Pat Ryan tore into the game at the end.

Kilmallock Na Piarsaigh was a very tight entertaining match. The goal Kilmallock conceded was a disaster. Complete mis hit from Ronan Lynch trickled past Hennessy. Oisin O Reilly burned through the defence on two occassions but goal attempts were blocked. Kilmallock sub ran about 60 yards with the ball at the death, could have tapped over an equaliser but went for goal and it was saved.

Huge opportunity today for Kilmallock just let slip.

The well missed 4 shots on goal in and around the 20 minute mark when they were I think 5 down and playing with the elements had they scored these it could have been a different story as I felt doon were vulnerable at that stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

was there anything covering it , i was watching the tipp hurling final at the time but could only get na piarsaigh twitter updates , i know martinstown is helping out with the senior team but you would think the county board could manage the rest, whoever your media person is needs to be fired , i was looking forward to seeing highlights of both games this weekend at the very least , alas ….

• Advertisement

i had a slight worry for doon after the long lay off ,yes they played adare and mungret but they had qualified by then, the well are poor at the moment , i know they have good intercounty players but the likes of doon or NAP would go close to rattling munster at the moment , the well have been struggling against the ahanes, the mungrets at the moment

i think everyone groned today when the twitter updates went from kilmallock 15-10 to nap 1-16 to 0-18 in the space of ten minutes , some comeback but and will henn is some man but it dose nothing for a fairytale finish to the championship , maybe doon will prove me wrong but i doubt it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Na Piarsaigh look vulnerable but when gave Doon ever done 'it ' in a final. Maybe this year? You'd feel Na Piarsaigh will up it significantly for the 3 in a row.

i was warned that doon are the mayo of limerick ,and not to bet on them , derrick mcgrath wouldn't exactly excite my chances either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Playing well though..

yeah and had a fine wins over patrickswell twice , kilmallock and na piarsaigh this year alone , i dont like the structure in the limerick championship , doon qualified for the semi final 6 weeks ago , its too long to wait it would e great to see them win it , but could you trust them

its the same as watching colm boyle rip it up in an all ireland semi final back in the day only for him to deflect in an early own goal in the final , some teams are just jinxed 😂

Doon v Patrickswell full game

https://youtu.be/J66Q3PnF6hs

• Advertisement

Dead right, I went straight from kilmallock to an underage game I'm not great at social media but a friend is a whizz on twitter so I messaged him for scores on the nap match he couldn't find anything anywhere on it. Surely not good enough

They won't get a better chance with p casey out but I'm not too sure myself, p/well with 14 men and missing one of the best inside forwards of the modern era had doon in trouble midway through the 2nd half, as I said had they scored some of those poor misses doon would have been under serious pressure .

Doon have great players all over the pitch but it'll take a huge mental effort for them to get over the line.

I hope they can

They were never really in trouble though. Patrickswell got within 4 for about 10 seconds after spending most of the game prior to that down by ~10points. It was a comfortable win and they were almost out of sight long before Gillane got sent off. Its about time Doon got this monkey off their back. They are playing well and have a full fit squad for the first time in last 6-7 years.

Bit of a ruthless edge to Doon, Barry Murphy down injured at one point when they were dominating, Darragh O Donovan absolutely roaring at him to get up and get out of the way rather than wasting time when they had the breeze.

The Morrisseys have signed up for the hurling/shinty international in Ennis in a few weeks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement