Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rip Out Bath, Replace With Shower Enclosure, Cost?

• 24-09-2024 12:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, Im in Limerick if that makes any difference, what kind of costs should I be budgeting for the above?

Shower was leaking through the tiles and down through the roof over the stairs, plumber was quoting 2.5k to sort it, I asked him to rip out the bath and put in a shower enclosure instead as I have tenants in the house, he says that will be around 3k.

Im just double checking, thats about as good as you'll get nowadays price-wise isnt it?

Or would I get more for my 3k if I went to an actual bathroom redesign place do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Finger-in-air… that sounds reasonable, but we don't have all of the details… plus you need him to not cut corners and fit a good seal (such as a Classi seal) around the shower tray. A full refresh of a bathroom, in my estimation, would start at around 5 to 7k if full-tiling and plumbing was to be modified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Can you fit a 2 piece shower enclosure/pod? Not have to deal with tiling, silicone, classi seal etc?

Much better for cleaning and much better in a rented property. It is more expensive, but you save on labour, not needed tiling etc. Also if the place is rented, this can be fitted in a day, only place to leak will be around the drain, once that is sealed correctly it is a job for life.

https://www.chadwicks.ie/neptune-shower-pod-quad-800-2-part-white-ns2q800cwsl-249439.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yikes, sink and toilet are fine, its the tenants bathrom and its actually very nice, just things went very manky around the head of the bath, black mould in the grout and the tiles behind that can be flexed in and out because the plasterboard is fecked, Ive hung a load of plastic sheeting to direct the water into the drain for now.

Im kind of happy with that quote now tbh thanks both.

Thats a brilliant idea thanks Ive that printed it out for our chat next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

And one last stupid question, when a plumbing company using their own tiler gives you a quote like that, Im expecting them to supply the tiles yeah? I dont have to go picking them out? I know they're supplying the shower tray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

No, they provide labour but materials are most likely on you. Typically you supply tiles unless otherwise agreed. They can purchase tiles on your behalf, they should get a reduced VAT rate and pass on the saving.

• Advertisement
Advertisement