Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunnes sold expired chocolate

• 22-09-2024 6:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I purchased Dunnes dark chocolate for €3.50 last week and opened it today. It had a bit of a weird taste, so I checked the expiry date and saw that it had expired in August 2024.

Can I get a full refund? It's opened, but I have the receipt with the full price highlighted.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Expired? You mean 'Best Before'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Probably. I've always found the major supermarkets to be very accommodating in these scenarios.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭watchclocker

Yes they will give you a refund

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Did you eat it all?

I reckon you can in that you could have dumped the chocolate because it was vile - and just present the wrapper and receipt clearly stating purchase date.
    I’d doubt they will quibble over 3.50

Saying that the chocolate itself shouldn’t have tasted that bad - was only a few weeks out- are you sure it’s not just bad tasting chocolate in general?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Chocolate doesn't really go out of date. It might develop white spots but generally it's still edible.

That said I wouldn't be eating way out of date chocolate.

Dunnes will refund it no problem though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just take it back to customer service with receipt and they will refund you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Update:

Refund received from dunnes and no issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There's no such thing as out of date chocolate. There is chocolate that doesn't taste or look as good as it should after a while but it's not dangerous or risky to eat if you've no other health issues.

Best Before Date is to inform you that it might not be at it's best quality if you consume it after the date but the product is still perfectly safe.

Use By Date is to inform you that it is dangerous to consume after the date. And even at that some Use By Dates can be way off because eggs can last a lot longer than their use by dates and are easily checked to see if they are still safe.

That's good common sense advice for food items on which a BB or UB date expires in a domestic setting.

You open the packaging and decide for yourself if it is ok to consume.

However in this case the retailer sold the item after the BB date.

This is not best practice and the OP was right to return it for refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Why is selling something past it's Best Before date bad practice? It's not an expiry date so there's no issue with selling something past it's Best Before date, this is what's leading to people dumping perfectly good food because they think that Best Before is an expiry date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭phormium

I wouldn't have a problem with somewhere selling something at or just past BB date but it should be reduced because you are not buying a premium product at that stage as it's heading for being not as good as it was in theory. Many many things are fine for a very long time past BB date, common sense should prevail but we all know how uncommon that is these days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Lidl do as you are suggesting, they put an orange sticker showing a discount off the shelf price on the likes of sliced bread and tubs of coleslaw if the item is getting close to it's expiry/best before date. I don't think Dunnes do anything similar.

I buy the Lidl 'Seed Sensation' brown sliced pan for toast so I don't need it to be bakery fresh and will buy a discounted sliced pan if one is available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Dunnes used to sell items with yellow stickers, reduced is near use by date, not sure if they still do as I rarely shop there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Use by date is legally binding. BB is not. While it is normally accepted that shops will and do, give a refund if its is past BB date, it is not legally binding. It is still perfectly ok to sell and consume.

Shelf-life: Best before and Use by Dates | Food Safety Authority of Ireland (fsai.ie)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭phormium

Dunnes do it too, as do Tesco/Lidl, can't say for Aldi as I'm not there as often, practically all supermarkets I would say have a section for selling off the stuff on it's last display day or on it's BB date. I often go to a small Tesco near me on a Sunday morning about 30 mins after they open as it's a great time to get good value in reduced section.

I didn't say it was bad practice or illegal.

I said it wasn't best practice.

As a customer I wouldn't expect to pay full price for an item that was 6 weeks past it's BB date.

If it was offered at a discount I could decide whether it suited me to purchase it or not.

I object to having such an item passed off to me because the retailer over ordered or failed to rotate stock properly.

The Tesco bargain section is branded in some stores as Hate Food Waste, Love a Bargain.

Well worth checking out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Hi all,

The chocolate did taste weird, with a slightly sour taste. We never check the expiration dates on chocolates, but this time we were concerned.

I got the same chocolate again with a BB in 2025, and the taste is definitely different and better.

Dunnes does place discounted orange stickers if a product is out of its BB date.

For comparison, would you buy a new car with 0 km on it but with a 241 registration at the same price as the same new car with 0 km but with a 242 registration?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Would the car drive different? Probably not.. it’s actually a stupid analogy to use when talking about your chocolate tasting different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

comparing a bar of chocolate to a brand new car 😂😂😂

• Advertisement
Advertisement