Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game News 2.0

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Pfft, that's nothing. The Japanese / Asian version comes with the real sh*t - Majima-themed Pop Up Pirate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I kinda figured that'd be the case. People really don't like signing up to services that they shouldn't need to. If you're buying the game on Steam and particularly if it's a single-player game, why should you have to sign up to PSN?

I'm not saying it's a big deal to do so, but it's something that gets peoples ire up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Says she started as an analyst? Anyway, McKinsey has the pick of uni graduates, and has a reputation for working people down to the bone, if you are able to survive there, and even thrive there, then you can do pretty much any corporate job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Went by Wikipedia.

I'm more jealous than anything

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Does the PSN requirement make it an always online game? Genuine question cause I dunno

Other than that it means Sony won't sell it in certain territories cause of the requirement, which is a silly own goal by them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Cordell

She's one of those too many glorified bean counters who lead technology corporations, and just like her peers she's behind the recent wave of studio closures and layoffs. I could be biased, well these days I am, but I think people with bean counting background belong counting beans, and not leading and making strategic decisions with corporate wide effects, especially in the gaming industry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

More Gabe Newells and less Harvard/Yale graduates that worked for financial institutions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

No doubt the game was a very expensive flop and almost certainly in the nine figure budget territory, but I've seen a little bit of pushback on this number since it started floating around in the ether. Ethan Gach has also been reporting extensively on it and can't corrobrate the figure:

One suggestion was that figure might encompass Sony's cost of acquiring Firewalk. But again would need to see more reporting.

Yeah I've also seen reports that the game wasn't 8 years in production like a lot of people were saying. There were a few ideas and concepts of something, but no real work started on the game any earlier than when Firewalk became a studio 6 years ago.

• Advertisement

IGN's Rebekah Valentine has a more in-depth piece out about the implosion of Annapurna Interactive. Appears to have been brewing for a little while, but interestingly the Remedy deal - which was done with the main Annapurna parent company, without the knowledge of the Interactive side - seems to have been something of a breaking point. Also a possibility the team that resigned are working on a new entity of their own. Some odd commentary from Annapurna themselves too, including the strange use of the word 'baffler' in an official media statement.

https://www.ign.com/articles/what-the-heck-has-been-going-on-at-annapurna-interactive-an-investigation

Im really looking forward to Fatal Fury City of Wolves but this just baffles me.

Apparently it's something to do with the Suadis that own SNK and manage Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

I was gonna say that's me out if it's anything to do with Ronaldo. But if we get chance to kick the sh#t out of him then I could be tempted 😆

Some positive game news, Yuji Horii's Hokkaido serial murder case became the best selling game in Japan after releasing with zero marketing. His name seems to have been enough.

The game is available on English on switch and PC, not sure about PlayStation but would be surprised if it isn't.

State of Play announced for tomorrow night 11pm. Will probably at least see the confirmation for the Horizon Zero Dawn Remaster. Be interesting to see what else shows up.

The opening act will be Tom Yorke doing an acoustic version of no surprises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Cordell

For a AAA game that was in development for 8 years it's not that much, Cyberpunk 2077 was also 400 million, also 8 year in development but at a cheaper studio with other sources of income.

Soul Reaver is back… in Pog form. Nah - remastered form.

Been rumoured and indeed leaked before, but set to be confirmed later. I thought the Tomb Raider remasters were a smart way of handling those games - keep the essence intact with a few modern quality of life changes. Hopefully this is a similar effort, which would be much preferable to a needless remake.

https://www.eurogamer.net/legacy-of-kain-soul-reaver-1-2-remastered-announced-via-playstation-listing

Ah sh*tenuggets! I wouldn't have bothered replaying SR1 earlier this year if I'd have known this. I assume I'll be able to just play SR2 anyway, but playing SR1 with better graphics and presumably a modern control scheme would have been great. Might still bomb through it anyway, not overly long or complex, especially since it'll be fresher in the head.

Still, good news all the same. Looks decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

The original game has a sort of desaturated, gloomy look that's kinda evocative of German expressionist films with the dark shadows and twisted architecture. I assume there's still lots of towering, off kilter buildings and columns in this new version but otherwise it looks a little bit too smooth and cartoony imo.

Think it's the colours mainly, but Raziel himself looks less like a destroyed husk of a person and more like a Todd McFarlane anti hero

There will probably be a graphics toggle here so it doesn't matter much really, but sometimes when the details get filled in by a remaster it makes the game look like less IMO

• Advertisement

Yeah there's definitely an element of rubberyness to the character models which takes away from the grotesque monstrositity of their designs, added to the better lighting which just compounds it.

Certainly a case of not much they could do to avoid it other than a complete rebuild, and chances are that never would have been approved.

I think this is built on the old game running underneath so there's only so much they can do to without changing fundamentals like the geometry.

Im also hoping that they add and finish off the cut content. There's a lot of the cut content still in data files, enough that I believe it was added back into the game by fans and stitched together for a more complete experience with a PC mod.

Always felt they were going for a Todd McFarlane look from the promo art. It just didn't come across in the ps1 low poly models.

I tend to be more forgiving of changes when there’s a toggle for the original option. Though Tomb Raider unfortunately runs at a stodgy 30 FPS in classic mode compared to the fluid high frame rate of the remastered graphics, so it’s not really that viable when playing other than switching occasionally out of curiosity.

Pretty sure all original versions were locked to 30, even on PC.

New Layton game being shown off and looks like a really interesting premise.

I think I'll be avoiding it though as I've played a few of the games now and along with Ni No Kuni and Rogue Galaxy I've come to the conclusion that Akihiro Hino is just a dreadful writer. He is the japanese David Cage with every game setting up a really interesting world and premise then doing nothing with that world for 20 or so hours before finishing up in an insane jump the sacred moment that has you baffled in how stupid it is. The last game I played, the unwound future, was the absolute worst, setting up a time travelling story then doing nothing with it before ending with far and away the dumbest ending yet.

Maybe if I hear he isn't writing the story as Level 5 tend to make great games when other people are in charge of the creative side, like their dragon quest games.

I was about to say I really enjoyed Jeanne D'Arc and it's story but turns out the writer was Junichi Ishikawa who has credits making movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Ubisoft Cancels Press Previews of Assassin’s Creed Shadows

Earlier today, Ubisoft canceled its online appearance at the Tokyo Game Show due to "various circumstances"; however, Isndier Gaming has learned that Ubisoft has also canceled its press previews of Assassin's Creed Shadows.

According to various sources, the Assassin's Creed Shadows press previews were scheduled to take place next week, and the embargo date for the previews would be announced then.

At the time of writing, Assassin's Creed Shadows is still scheduled to release on November 12, 2024, however, the recent announcements may suggest that the game might be delayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

No harm if it gives time to remove bugs that have plagued Ubi releases in recent years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

where you see the layton news? I always liked the games, but mainly for the puzzles rather than anything else.

• Advertisement

It's steampunk cowboys which is rad as **** but you just know the ending is going to be dumber than the mecha spider in wild wild west.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

awesome, looking forward to this! Like the look of the world there too. And yes, it's gonna be bonkers of a storyline but still, its all about the puzzles for me :D

I was wrong about the Horizon ZD Remaster, you can upgrade for about a tenner if you own the original.

Ghost of Tsushima sequel announced; Ghost of Yotei. New female protagonist. 2025 release.

Well stage of play was a big old waste of time. Nothing new and what was new was more of the same, and even at that there was only 1 PlayStation exclusive there and some scraps thrown at PSvr2.

I did get a little worried when they announced a PS1 RPG and thought that Sonys biggest crime against videogame would be announced and it was a lunar remaster. As for lunar, I don't recommended. It's highly rated as it was one of the first CD RPGs to hit the west and the mega cd was starved of games and the Megadrive was starved of RPGs. It's kind of boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

What if you bought HZD complete, but never opened it for years, then sold it to CEX a fortnight ago?

Do you still get it for a tenner? 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Must have caught wind of Ghost of Yotei and thought; "Fúck…"

Monster Hunter Wilds release date is all that really matters. February 28th. Already clearing my March diary. Those rain and flooding effects like suitably, well, wild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I think you're SoL there.

It's interesting to see that you can upgrade from the free digital version they gave to everyone during COVID though, you didn't even need to be a Plus subscriber to claim it.

If you did, I'd be more worried about how Sony knew that…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Not sure how I feel about the Soul Reaver remasters... they've definitely lost some of the gloom and atmosphere from the original games. Honestly looks like it's trying to emulate the Fortnite look, which is all the rage these days. I wanted a Spyro style remake, ground up byt use the original voice recordings. They've made some effort, but these games deserved so much more, and as a result to me these feel low effort, which again seems to be all the rage these days... I won't be able to help stop myself from getting it, but I feel like it's gonna crap all over my rose tinted memories...

Ghost of Yotei looks amazeballs. And a fine list of Pro enabled games and I'd assume Yotei will be utilising the Pro too.

HZD, I might have given another spin but won't be paying for it again, even just a tenner. Doubt I'd even play it again if it was added to PS+. Played it twice already, that's enough. Then again, new trophy list and platinum could tempt me but there'll be no time...

Surprised at the Astro dlc, didn't think they'd be releasing more content. Guess I'll pick up the GOTY edition at some point in a year or so.

TrTrailer for The Midnight Walk made me queasy. Dont think my brain would be able for the stop motion. But it looks good if that's what you're into. Zero interest in Monster Hunter, not my type of game.

Hell is Us, another Soulslike horror type thing. Meh. Same for Palworld and Metro VR. Archeage Chronicles was interesting initially then I see its another one of those mmo type games so meh. Also meh to Hitman, Sonic, and the rest I think. Lego Horizon... not sold on it. Not a bad showing overall imo. Some excitement in there, with Yotai taking centre stage. Preparing myself for the disappointment of the SR remasters...

• Advertisement

I thought it was a decent show. Ghost of Yotei the obvious highlight, I really loved GoT. Hell is Us looked pretty decent, would be interested to see more of it. The Soul Reaver Remasters would have been a big reveal if it hadn't leaked a few hours earlier, can't really blame the State of Play for it. Alan Wake 2 DLC with Control tie-in is cool (I've still never played Control even though I bought it, I really should play it before the AW2 DLC). Dragon Age Veilguard continues to look amazing, and I say that as someone who has never played a DA game and only played ME1, so I'm not really a Bioware guy.

Yes, a lot of remasters and DLC, but for a 30-40 minute state of play, I was happy enough with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

You..…you never played played Mass Effect 2???.....

You need to try it man. I played a bit of DA Origins but the series isn't for me. ME 1 is a bit rough but ME 2 is a goddamn masterpiece. Just thinking about it now makes me want to load up and get the crew back together for another run (will absolutely be doing that before the new ME game) .

It's all stuff coming to other platforms though. Was expecting wolverine at least. Just hoping it's not another year where all Sony have is ghost of yotei to hype up.

Monster Hunter Wilds looks incredible. But again it will be available elsewhere.

Some potentially good stuff shown but for the much vaunted September SoP it fell flat for me. Yotei looks like more of the same so not for me but I get why others would be excited.

I bought the Legendary Collection or whatever, played ME1, it was fine…. well, probably more "tolerable" than fine, but I got through it anyway. Played other things for a few months. Started up ME2 and just wasn't feeling the love so didn't even get an hour in. I know it's beloved and meant to be one of the GOATs, but I think it's one of those things that has just passed me by.

I think it was a pretty underwhelming showing, but was it ‘much-vaunted’? I tend to find it’s the gaming community and leakers who do virtually all the hype for these direct events, whereas the publishers themselves usually announce them with limited fanfare a day or two before the fact!

The exception was Microsoft bigging up their summer showcase this year, but to be fair they had an unusually strong lineup to show off.

Going from memory, I think a lot of previous September State of Plays have normally been mostly focused on hyping up the big PS exclusive for that Autumn (Spider-Man 2, GOW Ragnarok), which they simply don't have this year.

I think there was probably also only so much they could do with TGS around the corner, so a lot of reveals they might normally have been able to include at a quieter time of the year will probably be wrapped up in TGS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I think that's one reason why I never opened it, got it digitally :)

Someone's always spying on us Penn :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I hate to say it again, but Sony (and MS) need more bright, universally appealing super polished AAA games like Astrobot and take some risks with the gameplay.

Less of the dark, dystopian, depressing, stabby, stabby, head exploding, 18 cert, "we're too cool for school" same old games for guys.

This is why they are stuck. They are doing the same thing over and over for the same audience.

Edit ... And just as I posted this the The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom reviews are looking good, the game looks beautiful and they are taking risks with the franchise.

I'm all for giving Sony a good kicking, but given their main two first-party titles for the second half of 2024 are Astro Bot and Lego Horizon Adventures (well, those and Concord LOL)… I think they get a temporary pass when it comes to this particular criticism.

• Advertisement
Advertisement