Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The decline of FG?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭spillit67

You asked what actions. I gave you them. You keep implying they did nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I searched for 'New Politics' in the PFG.

It does not exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You can cross reference what found it's way into the PFG from this document.

https://cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2013/08/fine-gael-new-politics-march-2010.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It is strange how we are supposed to be talking about the decline of FG at this point in time, but we are being sent to look at policy documents over a decade old. It shows how much of a struggle it is to point to any real evidence of a current decline.

Francie, you are talking rubbish.

Look at the PFG, you will see a bullet point with each objective.

• We will give committees the power to introduce legislation, while a new 10 MinuteRule will allow backbench TDs to introduce their own Bills. We will also tackle thehuge over-use of guillotines to ram through non-emergency legislation

• We will introduce a package of changes that will bring about a 50 per cent increase in Dáilsitting days. Dáil Éireann will in future meet four days a week. There will be a summer recessof just six weeks and significantly reduced breaks at Christmas and Easter. We will abandonthe practice of providing a “mid-term break” – a full week off at St Patrick’s Day andHallowe’en. When the Dáil is not in session the Committees shall agree by roster that aparticular Committee shall meet in the Dáil Chamber.

• We propose to break the Government monopoly on legislation and the stranglehold over thebusiness of the Dáil, by providing that the new Friday sittings will be given over exclusivelyto committee reports and private members business except where urgent government businessmust be taken.

• We will enhance the democratic process by involving public representatives at an earlier stageof the legislative process, particularly before Bills are published. We will amend cabinetprocedure instructions so as to allow government to publish the general scheme of a Bill sothat Oireachtas Committees can debate and hold hearings at an early stage.

• • While recognising that there may be exceptional circumstances in which debate may need tobe concluded by a given deadline, we will restrict the use of guillotine motions and otherprocedural devices that prevent Bills from being fully debated, so that guillotining is not amatter of routine as it has become at present, particularly at the end of a session.

• • We will also deal with the related problem of legislation being shunted through at high speedand will ensure that Dáil standing orders provide a minimum of two weeks between eachstage of a Bill, except in exceptional circumstances.

• • In order to enhance the role of the legislative committees, we will organise a committee weekevery fourth sitting week. The Dáil plenary will sit only for questions, including Leaders’ Government for National Recovery 2011-201623Questions and the order of business and the remainder of the day will be taken up incommittee.

• • We will establish a petition system to the Dáil, similar to that operating in the EuropeanParliament, to be managed by a specific Dáil committee that will investigate and report onpetitions which raise issues warranting attention.

• • We will enhance the parliamentary relationship with the European Parliament in conjunctionwith Ireland’s MEPs. These arrangements will include regular attendance by MEPs atrelevant Dáil committees.

• • We will legislate and change Dáil standing orders to ensure the absolute confidentiality ofinformation entrusted to members of the Dáil by their constituents or informants, and ensurethat such information cannot be compulsorily disclosed through the legal process except withthe consent of the informant.

• • We will significantly revamp the adjournment debate format. It will be renamed the topicalissue debate. There will be a minimum of 5 topical issues. These will be taken in the middleof the day and there will be provision for questions at the end. A Minister or Minister of Statefrom the relevant Department will be present and there will be an end to the practice of onejunior Minister reading out scripts on behalf of a number of Departments about a range ofissues of which he or she knows nothing.

• • The standing orders on urgent issues are used regularly to attempt to raise issues that are noturgent and such requests are almost invariably refused. We will make the Dáil rules forraising urgent issues more meaningful by requiring a minimum number of signatories for sucha request.

• • In future standing order 32 requests will not be read out

Which of these were or were not done.

Please be explicit.

Right, so are back to the manifesto…

You do know a manifesto is not the same as a PFG?

Honestly, you are coming across very badly here in your understanding of how our system works.

I pointed out to another poster a specific action proposed and asked what has been done. I see you ignored that.

😁😁

Mark, I know what a manifesto is and what a PFG is….I posted examples of both and asked you to cross reference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,726 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

This isn't a thread on opposition parties though, it's about FG, which by the laws of political science directly includes FF, hence FFG, and by extension the greens and Labour. My position isn't that "I don't know who I'm voting for" just that it's irrelevant to the topic of the thread

Since you asked, my personal preference would be for a left leaning government. One that might actually be able to fix our housing and health crises but also stand up to the far right movement rather than cower away, or worse, join them!

• Advertisement

So to be clear, you will hold any party who go in with those four as extensions of this.

Care to comment on the bullet point list?

Which one of them, from the PFG were NOT done? Please be exact please as you have a habit in talking in grand narratives with no to little details.

You are drowning, all over the place.

You banged on about "new politics"

I mere pointed out that those were NEVER appeared on the 2011 FG/Labour PFG.

You are utterly spoffing.

Is that really all you picked up from everything I said? It's genuinely disappointing to see this level of concentration among voters. Although it does explain recent local election results

You selected only a few. Predictably.

There are lists of other stuff promised and not delivered in the PFG.
    Take just one, quite simple to achieve by a majority government if they had any serious intention:

Dáil Reform

We are proposing radical reform of the way the Dáil operates.

• to hold the executive to account

What did we see them do with our own eyes again and again?

Failed to give SIPO proper tools that SIPO themselves called for.
    Circled the wagons repeatedly to protect, even when wrongdoing was admitted.
    Mad FOI harder rather than easier. (See the writings of Ken Foxe on this)

One of the key reasons they began to decline IMO.

Why did they renege on this? Because they realised that FF would take a huge hit if they were made accountable as well as collateral damage done to themselves.

So are you saying a government party with a majority of 51(FG) seats to 20 (Labour) (35% - 19%) immediately welched on a major policy promise the minute they went into negotiations to form a government? Really?

And you still vote for them???

• Advertisement

You selected only a few. Predictably.

Nope. From the heading "Dail Reform" I selected them all.

And you didnt answer the question..

Instead, you go on some grand narrative and storytime about unrelated stuff.

So, with that 20 odd bullet point in the PFG, which ones did they or did not do..

Its a coalition Francie.

If or when your beloved SF get into power, they will have to comprimise too. Sure didn't they let the UK run NI for them? ;)

Are you claiming they welched on New Politics at negotiation of a programme for government stage, yes or no?

If you can point out the bits from the PFG that they did not enact….

Tell me that you don't understand how a coalition government works without telling me you don't understand how a coalition government works.

• Advertisement

I gave you enough rope and you hung yourself. Selected some stuff and tried to pretend.

Directly transmuted into the PFG from New Politics we have this:

We will ensure our Government is seen to be held to account

Did they?
    No they absolutely did not do that.

They totally welched on it and did nothing to give SIPO the powers it needed. They made FOI harder and they circled wagons around the very behaviour that required New Politics to end it.

Charlatans in regard to that and that is why people stopped voting for them. I.E. Their vote declined.

Pretty fabulous now the notion that Labour are to blame for FG not implementing their New Politics agenda.

You literally could not write this level of pointy fingers.

More grand angry narratives.

No detail

No substance

Nothing but the usual hot air.

And you refuse to answer the question on the 3rd time of asking.

Also, you edited that quote. Fake News added to the list as well.

What more detail do you want?
    What did they do to ensure 'government accountability'?

Nothing, they didn't even give the agency tasked with holding the government to account and to scrutinise. the powers they sought.

Also, you edited that quote. Fake News added to the list as well.

More insinuation:

PG 19 The PFG posted earlier.

Doubling down on telling me you don't understand how a coalition government works without telling me you don't understand how a coalition government works by telling me you didn't understand my post without telling me you didn't understand my post.

Why don't you make a point blanch.

Are you saying Labour refused to allow them to implement key promises in the New Politics doc?
    What are you saying, if not?

I am making the point that you clearly don't understand how coalition governments work. You have demonstrated that now over three posts.

So, you are saying that because they went into a government with Labour, New Politics was dropped, so they are excused?

We know that is demonstratively nonsense by the inclusion of a key promise in New Politics:

I am not going to repeat myself, as my point gets ever clearer each time you post a response. Your posts demonstrate that you don't understand how coalition government works.

Fair enough.
    You won't clarify what you mean by that and I know why.

Just another plaintive attempt to undermine a poster and completely disingenuous posting.

The coalition agreed to implement key aspects of the New Politics promise. All evidenced but still the denials persist.

• Advertisement

I listed 20 odd action items about Dail Reform.

Which one of those did they and did not do.

Its a simple question, one you cannot answer, because you want to talk in great narratives.

Like MLMD, you have no idea for details but want to sell a story to someone, expect no one bothers with you anymore.

I picked up that you are of the variety who does not understand Coalition government or basic trade offs.

In reality, if and when the Soc Dems or the Shinners go into government with any of those four (which they will have to), you’ll be here in another few years skating them.

You are that type.

Look, I can do nothing more than show you what New Politics was and what was transposed into the PFG. Actual concrete proof that it was there to be achieved:

You @markodaly @blanch152 want to deny it is there, by:
    1. Trying to demean the poster by ridiculous claims that they don't understand.

2. Post smokescreens about stuff that may or may not have been achieved.

You will strenuously try and stop the conversation moving on to why they didn't even try to achieve it and why their vote declined as a result. Some voters fell off the wagon after the 1st term and others, like myself after 2016.

So, you cant answer my question.

More grand narratives, and stories.

SF tried that for a while, and its not working for them anymore.

You appeared with an irrelevant list.

.Nobody said ‘they did nothing’

The conversation was about key promises they DID NOT fulfil.

You have been caught out trying to take the focus away from that failure and the subsequent decline in their vote.

You appeared with an irrelevant list.

Yea, its only the PFG 2011 that you have been banging on about all day.

Who cares about facts, when grand narratives, little details and stories that stir emotions do a better job..

So you dont care about manifesto's. Now you don't care about Programmes for government either.

Who cares about facts, 

Clearly you don't, You have been trying to deny that key elements of New Politics were there in the PFG.

I will try to move it on from that deflectionary sidebar.
    I think that it was FG's exploitation of a deep desire for reform and change that led to their incremental decline over the next two GE's. Quite simply, led by Enda Kenny they played an exhausted, shocked and angry electorate.
    10% gave up on them doing what they promised in 2016 and another 9% threw the towel in by 2020.
    I have heard no credible explanation for that kind of actual vote loss just denial and excuses really.

I'm not sure why you think they "have to" go into govt with some of the right wing parties… Speaking hypothetically, if SF and other left wing parties get 88 of the 174 seats available there would be no reason to get into a coalition with one of the 4 right wing parties that you mention. Speaking even more hypothetically, but far less likely, any single party could get those 88 seats and rule without having to form a coalition.

You are that type

You're partly right with this statement. I am the type who would hold a govt to account rather than sheepishly follow a herd. Should SF renege on what they have been saying and promising all along I would certainly be holding them to account, yes.

While you are indeed correct in figuring my voting patterns out you are also assuming that a left wing govt would fail as miserably as FFG have, and even more curiously you are making that assumption before they even get a chance to take office. Perhaps you should be judging FFG moreso on their record rather than the potential record of another party

The problem with your hypothetical situation is that a hypothesis is meant to be based on something that could possibly happen. Firstly, SF is not left-wing. Secondly, even combined with the left-wing parties, there is no possibility that they could all get 88 seats.

• Advertisement

Which left wing parties?

You have said that two of them are just the same as FF and FG.

There is no possible arithmetic for a “left wing” government without those two parties (and really isn’t even with them).

Your position is a childish one, pure and simple. You make up a number of idealised TDs of the left “untained”, and say that will be fine. Up until the day that is achieved you will continue to slam anyone who enters government with those four parties as not having clean hands.

This is what the founder of the NHS, Aneurin Bevan, described as “pure but impotent”.

I understand that the likes of you look at history and might point out about the delights of the Welfare State governments but the truth is that there were serial malcontents back then just like you are today.

You’ll spend your life in self indulgence, admiring that you never sold out. Meanwhile though those from the left who actually want to do something have brought great advancements to society.

Of course this poster knows that. They’ll be the same pub bore in 20 years telling everyone how right they were and that others sold out.

The Roisin Shortall and Catherine Murphy school of politics.

Absolutely correct. Just look at what the Greens have achieved over two periods in government, carbon taxes, home energy and insulation grants, massive advances in childcare, the type of changes that the likes of PBP and SF will talk about for ages and never do anything about.

If any party or potential coalition runs 88 candidates or more there is every hypothetical chance that they would rule should that be the wish of the people…

SF aren't a party of the left? Well that is a new one… Care to explain further how you came to that conclusion?

You have a very strange understanding of politics

I know the greens aren't really the topic of the thread but considering they twice got into bed with FFG I think it's relevant… So lets break those "successes" down a bit

Carbon Taxes - Already existed in the form of excise duty but I think the idea behind them is to make petrol and diesel more expensive to run and promote EV sales and greater public transport usage? While CO2 emissions overall are down, transport related emissions are up 6.3% this year and EV sales have fallen significantly

https://www.seai.ie/data-and-insights/seai-statistics/co2/

Home energy and insulation grants - That's great, if you can find a contractor to do the work you get about 50% back, the grant is now dropping every year and so too is the demand for a retrofit as people find out that heat pumps aren't always cheaper forms of energy

Advances in Childare - Do you mean the tax credit that every parent got if they were fortunate enough to have a childcare place just before the childcare providers went and increased their rates? Not much of a success

the type of changes that the likes of PBP and SF will talk about for ages and never do anything about.

I assume you know that PBP and SF aren't in power, hence why they do not implement laws like these?

As I said, a hypothesis is something that can possibly happen. The left getting a majority in the next election excluding Labour and the Greens as you have suggested is not a hypothesis. It is a fantastical notion.

As for SF not being left, here is something from over a year ago which might enlighten you:

https://internationalsocialist.net/en/2023/08/left-politics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I only briefly skimmed down through that, as all articles written by socialists tend to be twice as long as they need to be. However it seems it’s more about the Socialist Party criticising the Socialist Workers Party (trading as PBP) over their decision to maybe, possibly, thinking about supporting a SF coalition? I’m sure PBP think they can do their usual Trojan horse stuff once they are inside the walls?

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

Yes, but the basic premise for criticising the PBP is that SF is no different to FF and FG, and the article explains in depth why they believe this is so.

Furthermore, SF, as we know, are against water taxes, LPT and carbon tax, which puts them on the right-wing of European politics, which, when taken with their recent dog-whistling on immigration, as well as their rabid nationalism, the only party possibly to the overall right of them is Aontu.

It’s amazing we have had any social progress in this country.

If only we had stayed pure like Red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I think the UK, Europe fought those battles for us after the wars... we kind of just tagged along.

The biggest blocks to social progress here were the RC Church. and the parties power swapped between since the states foundation.
    In respect of the party the thread is about, it's previous leader was vociferously against reforms even those that ensured his own legal rights. This is what he had to say on same sex marriage rights.

"Two men cannot have a child, two women cannot have a child… That is a fact, nobody can deny otherwise. Every child has a right to a mother and father, and as much as possible, the State should try and vindicate that right, and that the right of a child to have a mother and father is much more important than the right of two men, or two women, to have a family."

Didn't help either his or his parties image.

• Advertisement
Advertisement