Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

URC and English Premiership Merger Rumours

2»

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Your argument here is "the French haven't lost interest because Toulouse care about it enough to try and win it". There are exceptions to every rule, however I think it is hard to argue that in general, the French teams have lost serious interest in the Champions Cup. The same applies to the English teams.

We know this because of the actions these clubs have driven in regards to the competition. Cutting games and changing the format was not done randomly for no reason, games were cut and the format changed because this is what the French and English clubs wanted.

We will never go back to the 6 pool games 4 team format because this would have consequences on the French league and the French teams will never agree to it, the European Cup is very much second fiddle for them.

The IRFU for example, their teams absolutely prioritised the competition. If the IRFU were the sole managers of the European Cup the format would never, ever have changed. This is the difference between an organisation that prioritises a competition and one that doesn't.

The competition of the past that everyone loved is dead, what we have left is this bastardised mess that is fairly shite. This is reflected in the TV figures which are only heading in one direction. Even on European weekends it is obvious that the interest and buzz around the competition is nothing like what it used to be.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Look, I wouldn't go as far as saying all English and French clubs have lost interest.

But nor would I go as far as saying it's still the competition that the biggest teams most want to win.

(And I stand by what I said above - I think certainly LAR and probably Toulouse would most want to win the Top 14).

But it's clearly lost a bit of something in recent years. (The current format is fairly woeful tbh). Off the top of my head, Gloucester, Stade Francais, Montpellier, Bayonne, Castres, Bulls, Harlequins and possibly Lyons too? All clubs that have sent out weakened teams in the competition in recent years. A couple of those in the knock-out rounds, iirc?

(One weird wrinkle is that the SA teams have really added something to the URC, but that hasn't translated to Europe).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think it's fair to say that the LNR don't care about Europe but as long as the likes of Toulouse and LAR care and are some of the best teams in Europe then the interest is still there. No one equally wants to be reduced to one competition and never play the top French teams ever again.

As to whether Toulouse and LAR care more about which competition- they don't engage in the same forced dichotomy crap that we seem to. If they had a T14 final and EPCR final back to back they would simply go all out to win both.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

…then the interest is still there.

That's the thing tho, I don't think the same level of interest is still there more broadly, unfortunately. (The TV rights would suggest as much).

Oh the competition is far worse, but it's not dead and the knockouts are still popular and important to the teams. It has huge problems but simply disappearing would not be a positive (or even neutral) outcome.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If it disappeared and everything else stayed the same? Sure.

But the point is the Champions Cup is not worth fighting for any more, it shouldn't be used as a stick to beat down change. "We can't do that because it might damage the Champions Cup" is no longer a valid reason for not doing something, the competition is already wrecked.

If a hypothetical URC + English league came to be and it meant the CC getting canned I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭FtD v2

I absolutely would - it would be a retrograde step for the Irish sides getting into bed with the English clubs.

There are already too many over hyped dead rubbers in the URC as it is without throwing in a load of crappy English teams into the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭PMC83

But I never said 'all french teams', I suggested Castre and Stad F as examples of disinterested clubs while agreed that there's really only buy in from the handful that have won it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

No team in the Premiership is profitable. 1 or 2 might break even in a given year ( think Exeter were marginally in the positive recently) but overall it's consistently been a losing proposition. The French are the only ones with a league that can sustain private clubs, due to their history and the massive tv deal that they have. Nowhere else has succeeded in building a sustainable model for non union owned teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

copied & pasted from Robert Kitson in The Breakdown (The Guardian)

There were tears at the final whistle at Stade de la Rabine last weekend. And with good reason. RC Vannes had never played in the French Top 14 before this season, which made their 30-20 inaugural win against Lyon on Saturday a genuinely historic moment. Rugby has not traditionally been a big deal in Brittany but, all of a sudden, the Breton public have become oval‑ball connoisseurs.

There were 11,792 crammed into the stadium and the hometown heroes in blue – even Mako Vunipola is a Vannes man these days – looked anything but a side happy to make up the top‑flight numbers for a season. No surprise there. The second‑tier league of French rugby, the Pro D2, is rising in quality and competitiveness each year, assisted by the latest huge broadcasting deal struck between Canal+ and the Ligue Nationale de Rugby.

From the 2027 season, the Pro D2 clubs will receive €10.7m (£8.9m) every season in broadcast revenue for the next five years, roughly a tenth of the sum received by the Top 14 sides but more than enough to encourage a healthy, vibrant league whose leading teams can aspire to join the elite. All will be looking currently at Vannes and thinking: “That could be us.”

Just across the Channel in England, the vibe is very different. Newcastle, who have finished bottom of the Premiership for the previous two seasons, attracted just 5,116 supporters to their first game of the new campaign at home against Bristol Bears. They lost 24-3, a result that sadly did little to signal a radical change in luck this season. Crowd‑wise, Manchester City v Arsenal at the Etihad Stadium attracted more paying fans – 52,846 – than all five Premiership rugby games combined. Even Notts County v Gillingham in League Two attracted more than the rerun of last season’s Premiership final between Bath and Northampton.

Hopefully the Falcons and the crowds will both perk up soon. And, sooner rather than later, those at the sharp end in England also want to know whether a promotion playoff is a realistic possibility this season. As things stand, clubs in the second-tier English Championship are still awaiting clarity around the all-important finer details, not least more equitable future funding, that were meant to be settled before the season kicked off at the weekend.

In theory the goalposts shifted slightly this summer, with a capacity of 5,000 now acceptable providing a wannabe promoted side has proper plans in place to increase that to 7,500 by year two and to 10,001 by year four. Eligible sides also have to pass a facilities audit that will not be completed until January. Even if they clear that hurdle, the funding gap between the leagues effectively makes “doing a Vannes” from a standing start all but impossible.

It is a situation the Championship clubs want properly resolved, one way or another, for everybody’s sake. On the one hand, there is a wealth of evidence in American and Australian sport to suggest promotion and relegation is not compulsory for a healthy league assuming other key prerequisites – a salary cap linked to club revenue, a collective bargaining agreement, a player draft, etc – are in place.

On the other, there is British team sport’s rich tradition of promotion and relegation, neatly summed up by none other than Newcastle’s director of rugby, Steve Diamond. “I’ve always coached and played with relegation and think it’s a magnificent thing,” he told the Times last week. “I know it’s not like this in the States and other places, but the jeopardy is all about promotion and relegation. It’s difficult to motivate my lot here in dead-rubber games.”

That uneasy situation is further magnified now the Premiership consists of just 10 teams. If eight are going to qualify for Europe – and no one is realistically going down because a sly subclause can always be found to slam the trapdoor shut – where is the feelgood oxygen every good league needs? The Rugby Football Union is still talking to people behind the scenes about the possibility of resurrecting Worcester and Wasps, but the ongoing logistical hurdles, particularly in the latter case, remain enormous.

Either way, the need for a “whole‑game solution” is as vital as ever. The RFU surely cannot simply turn its back – or be seen to be doing so – on sides such as Coventry, Ealing Trailfinders and Doncaster Knights who would be competitive, at the very least, if a promotion-relegation playoff did happen. And how will it look if the RFU, having trumpeted the reintroduction of a playoff, ends up not permitting it amid a blizzard of red tape and financial chicanery? “I don’t think the game will accept that,” says Simon Halliday, the former England centre who acts as Ealing’s public representative. “A playoff has to happen or it’s a joke.”

The Championship clubs have also voted in favour, going forward, of second-tier teams being allowed to field a maximum of just six Premiership loanees. This is significant because where else, aside from a few Premiership Cup games, are up‑and‑coming Premiership squad members going to enjoy game time if they do not instantly make the first team at elite level?

Hefty parachute payments to sides coming down (effectively guaranteeing they bounce straight back up) are also apparently on borrowed time. But there is a far bigger picture here and it needs resolving urgently: how does English rugby ideally see itself in 10 or 20 years’ time? Meanwhile mighty Vannes are off to Toulon this Saturday, flying a Breton flag for rugby dreamers everywhere.

Clearly a huge gap emerging between French rugby and all others.

Is there anything to be said for replicating their model, which seems to allow for the National side, Top 14 & Pro D2 clubs to prosper, or at the very least to remain in existence ?.

Rather than chase the idea of a 'Lions' B&I league, we might all be better off with the FFR model.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The IRFU absolutely prioritised the competition largely because, as you were so fond of reminding everyone, the ProX was a jokeshop league. With the URC now a competitive, entertaining, competition, it's not crazy to suggest that up to 15 of the 16 teams are more interested in it than the European Cup. And, alongside the improvement of the 'domestic' league, the EC being very hard to win (with all those disinterested French and English teams beating everyone out the gate?) makes it hard for fans to get that excited about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,726 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Realistically speaking if the URC and English Premiership merge you would need to bring the T14 into the same league and ditch the Champions Cup altogether. Having a cup competition contributed to by 2 leagues would stink of annual repetition of matches and generally be quite pointless. As it stands only having 3 leagues contributing is not ideal

The URC and Premiership have up to 21 weeks of games, the T14 has up to 29 and the champions cup has up to 8 matches. That's up to 37 weeks of club rugby that the players have at the moment.

It would technically be feasible on that figure to have a pan-european league of up to 19 teams playing a home + away series, how you would divide them between the countries would be questionable. There's 40 teams across the 3 competitions as well to make matters worse

Can’t see the French having any interest in this - they’ve already got a thriving domestic league that attracts big crowds and has a lucrative tv deal. Their clubs have a long history and heritage - even the ProD2 clubs and below.

Yes, no doubt it would need to be a very good deal to get the French to give up the Top14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

I can't see the French going anywhere near it. The Top 14 seems financially secure. If the Champions Cup was reduced to 4 or 5 knockout rounds, the Top 14 would probably be ok with that.

Possibly more of a likelihood of an Anglo & Welsh merger than an Anglo & URC merger. Welsh clubs would have local rivalries across the border in Gloucester, Bath and Bristol. Might be more attractive than long distance travel to South Africa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭ersatz

The French have displayed a fairly strategic ambition in their domestic development, including T14 clubs foregoing income to give a bigger share to the D2. It's not just about money for them. They would be insane to abandon a system that ensures that the T14 has its own professional development league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Its been said on this thread before but English Premiership is close to the edge of financial ruin

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/sep/25/premiership-rugby-union-financial-insolvent-james-haskell?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I don't see merging with destitute Welsh clubs fixing any of that.

A lot would come down to who can bring TV rights money I guess - SA are the biggest contributor there. I don't think the Irish rights are particularly stellar (though I'm not basing that on a lot beyond vague recollections of rumours).

The Welsh clubs certainly wouldn't help with stability though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

Perfect opportunity for the RFU to get rid of the owners and move to the union-owned model. That puts joining the URC back on the table.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The RFU are absolutely no where near being able to afford to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

That's not now or ever likely to be on the table. Rfu don't have the money, interest or need to do it. They've already cut funding to champiosides over covid and not brought it back to pre covid levels. They don't have anywhere near enough funds to get rid of owners and put in any kind of Union owned model

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

"Even Notts County v Gillingham in League Two attracted more than the rerun of last season’s Premiership final between Bath and Northampton"

This is the most important part of the whole article.

The first thing Premiership rugby needs to do is cop on to itself and realise it's a small sport masked by the success of the 6 Nations.

Time to put sustainability over big contracts and stupid moves to far away soccer stadiums.

Buying bankrupt clubs or creating 50/50 joint ventures with the owners to create stronger teams wouldn't be massively expensive. You look at how the Welsh or Americans did it and it might actually dig them out of a hole if they do it right

There's a lot of talk of the Welsh wanting to leave the URC in the media but it's mainly hot air I think.

You can't just buy bankrupt clubs for a penny, you have to buy all their debt obligations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I can't see this as anything other than a non-runner. The URC is finally a vibrant, sucessful league but it took over twenty years to get there. Why would we throw that away (as well as any meaningful Eropean competition) for a group of clubs that are unable or unwilling to run themselves properly? The premiership clubs are clearly acting in naked self intirest, a drowning man desperatly looking for something to cling to. If we're stupid enough to offer them a lifeboat, they will capsize us.

For rugby to grow and prosper, we need as many top professional leagues as we can. In Europe, we've three. We're bieng asked to canabilize one of those to keep another going. we're also bieng asked to cut the Italians and South Africans adrift. frankly, that's unethical and unfair.

The welsh have a lot of soul searching to do. they've blamed the regions, the WRU, the league… we're hearing now that the answer to all their woes is getting in bed with the English. When that doesn't work, it'll be something else. Their biggest problem is that it's not the 70's anymore. The days of the local parish team drawing big crowds and hosting touring sides is never going to come back. Regional/provincial rugby was handled terribly at the transition but it's still the only realistic way forward.

You have to purchase the debt as well and rfu have cut back hugely in club and community game and would get big backlash if instead of reinstating the funds to those areas they invested into pro clubs.

Wind up the old companies and buy the assets of the old company for cheap and set up a brand new club. Whatever works, it aint pretty but it can and has been done before. I accept that it won't happen mind because the clubs are trying to follow the lead of the soccer clubs in England and want as little RFU interference as possible. The way they're going they might eventually wind up with just 4 clubs but that's the way they want it

For rugby to grow and prosper, we need as many top professional leagues as we can. In Europe, we've three. We're bieng asked to canabilize one of those to keep another going. we're also bieng asked to cut the Italians and South Africans adrift. frankly, that's unethical and unfair.

Agreed, the answer isn't a reduction in the number of leagues, it's the creation of more to join the Champions and Challenge Cups. One of the reasons these competitions are stale is because there was only ever 3 leagues feeding them, 4 when the Italians were on their own.

In an ideal situation we would have individual leagues for the 5 nations in the URC that would only ever meet in the EPCR competitions but that simply isn't viable. Maybe South Africa have the population to go their own way but probably not the finances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

South Africa not being able to have their own league just shows how utterly warped and unrealistic the rugby economy is.

If rugby just stops trying desperately to be the new soccer and lives within its means it's easily possible. Ya it will lose some players who are chasing the money to other sports but it won't be that many. Loads of other sports survive just fine as smaller sports confined to their heartlands.

• Advertisement

Currently about 50% of boks play for South African clubs. If South Africa went out on their own that would drop to zero pretty fast. It would be bad for the URC if it ever happened but great for the sport to see them capable of going out on their own as well

It isn't pretty and is pretty much impractical as it would divert money from amateur game to do so and that should never happen. The pro game isn't going totally or even near 50% under union control in England as rfu can't and won't be able to finance it.

There's a fundamental tension in the game between player wages and club profitability. You can't put the genie back in the bottle for salaries, and frankly players deserve every cent they can get, but outside of France and perhaps Japan, the money isn't there for teams to afford.

You wonder sometimes how the French got it so right, between the T14 and the Pro D2 they have 29 professional teams. Their most successful club, Toulouse, play in a stadium with less than 20,000 capacity so they probably aren't making more money than us on ticket sales

Did the top 14 professionalise at an earlier date than the Premiership? I do wonder if the HC actually had a negative impact by encouraging big spending by clubs trying to compete.

Post edited by AbusesToilets on

It’s a popular sport in a very big country. They have a sizeable Tv deal, and plenty of clubs have wealthy benefactors too on top of that.

They've been incredibly consistent. Canal Plus has had the tv rights for almost 30 years, it's free to air and attendences and audiences are growing every year. The T14 final had almost 5M viewers last season and I think they broadcast something like 60 games a season. It's much harder to do if rugby is spread among different broadcasters and some or all of it is paywalled. Its a bit like industrial development planning, its a long game and requires sophisticated joined up thinking. Nothing lasts forever but rugby in France is in rude health compared to the vast majority of other territories, and success in the WC is not a decisive component for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭thePigeon_

its a long game and requires sophisticated joined up thinking.

We're fucked so

• Advertisement

Actually Ireland is in pretty good shape, largely because the union calls the shots which allows a strategy for the game rather than a strategy for the club, which is what's happening in England and Wales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭thePigeon_

Yeah sorry I meant more collectively than Ireland. Joined up thinking isn't how you'd describe European rugby to this point

Yeah, the big picture is not great. SA moving to the URC is good for the URC, as we've seen, but it's brutal for NZ. And it's nice to see Fiji and Japan come up the ranks but you could look at that as just more evidence of the terminal decline of the game in Wales and Australia, and stagnation in Italy and Scotland. That's a grim reading of it as there's a valid argument to say that the game has flattened as the rest have caught up with the likes of NZ but the storm clouds are gathering.

Back on topic, I really don't see any appeal of linking up with the Premiership. They have reasonable attendances (av 12k) and TV audiences (300k+) are nothing to get excited about plus their ownership model is fragile. No wonder several clubs are barely treading water. For Wales the answer lies closer to home but moving the furniture around would suit some of the decision makers more than really identifying problems and addressing them. Yeah, we're fucked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Leinster is in good shape, are the other provinces?

All IRFU, and the provinces are in pretty good shape, silverware aside. Minimum expectation is that 2 or 3 qualify for the CC, which they've been doing mostly. Obviously Leinster skew the table but to my untrained eye I'd say the provinces are improving their player production line. Maybe its not an either or, and Im sure there are areas that the IRFU could improve, but I can't imagine that a private ownership model would improve things in Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement