Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland General Discussion Thread 2024 [use match threads for games]

1252627282931»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think he's a decent goal-poaching style forward. Great instincts on follow-ups etc. But for ireland we're not getting those kinds of chances…. a centre forward for us is largely 20 yards from goal, facing the wrong way. It's just a totally different job than being with the dominant team in a league. Great to have him feeling confident though, and he's a good option to come off the bench if we're pushing for something late on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

A rather simplistic appraisal. He’s not just a goal poacher. There’s reasons why Brendan Rodgers forced the notoriously tight fisted Celtic board to break the club’s transfer record to sign him. Idah is a big strong unit and can hold the ball up and bring others into play when required. He’s still young and very much a work in progress. He’s in the right place with the right manager to accomplish that progression.

I think he should be first pick for Ireland in the coming internationals.

He made the run and stayed onside for the first one to perfection. I’m not sure you really understand what you’re looking at.

The dross service he got when playing for Ireland v England recently was part of that don’t you think.

I wouldn’t be too critical of any of the Ireland players under the current circumstances. The FAI left Kenny sitting there as a dead duck for ages and allowed a loser mentality to seep into the group. That Canham guy should be out on his ear it’s annoying and a bad sign that he’s still there.

I’ll give Hallgrimsson time to see what he can do because he’s been handed a difficult task. He deserves a chance and the players all deserve a system to be put in place and a manager who’s in charge of his brief to put a shape on the team. The players like Idah deserve support and respect, much more than you appear to think they deserve. Idah will score and contribute for his country given a bit of stability and cop on behind the scenes and so will those other players in that squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I don't think he's good enough to start as a lone striker for Ireland. But then very few would be. It's totally the wrong approach for a team with no wingers, wing backs, or creative midfielders. He gets totally isolated and is ineffective. Opposition would be delighted to see him as a lone striker. Same for Ferguson. We need pace as an alternative to make up for lack of quality throughout the team.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

I think the Ireland manager and his management team should be looking at ways to get Idah decent service.

If everyones fit, Idah doesn't start. Ferguson does.

The management team should of course try and be getting their #9 decent service irrespective of who it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Aaron Connolly looks set to seal a move to Sunderland.

I think Rodgers got the Celtic board to sign him 'cause his attributes suit Celtic. That doesn't necessarily mean they suit Ireland too - at this stage at least. He's a big strong unit who, at a certain level and in a certain system, can hold up the ball and link play. He could do it at U21 level for sure. And perhaps he can do it in a more dominant team against inferior opposition with more threats around him for the opposition to worry about. But where he demonstrably can't do that - for now - is in a weaker team at international level.

He's just been so consistently disappointing and quite weak in that role for us unfortunately. I'd love him to be good, but it feels like he doesn't quite have that temperment yet… a bit too quiet and unassuming to be the bully needed for that role for us. For now, I'd have Ferguson, Szmodics, and Parrott over him for that position. Think he has more value for us as a second striker coming into the game, where he maybe gets the ball facing goal a bit more.

But with those four, and then Tom Cannon and Obafemi set to play more in the Championship (and even potentially Delap with a bit of luck), we've a decent chance one or two of these options will stick though, which is great for us. Would love us to ditch the 1-up thing altogether and play with a partnership. That's what we did during the only spell we've looked decent in the past 5 years.

Well you’re entitled to your opinion but it won’t surprise you that I don’t agree with that at all. “At a certain level”? Bar England the opponents Ireland will be playing won’t be “levels” above what Celtic play against in Scotland. Idah will also be playing in the Champions League. Kyogo usually starts but Brendan will start him in certain games. Keep an eye out for it. It wouldn’t surprise me if Brendan starts Adam in the away game v Borussia Dortmund next week. To suggest that he’s in the frame to start or will definitely play at least 20 minutes v Dortmund but isn’t good enough to start for Ireland against say Finland is frankly laughable.

Did he play well v England? No. He wasn’t on his own though and the service was horrendous. A fully fit Ferguson would have done no better. He can do a job for Ireland but this new manager needs to get to grips with the job and put a shape on the team. He really could have done with those friendlies that O’Shea presided over. I do agree that we should try two up top. I’d go with an old fashioned 4-4-2. I’d put Colllins in midfield to screen with the back 4 and go more direct. Idah with Szmodics as a two up front Id go with in the next games with Ferguson still struggling for match fitness by the looks of things.

He’s not though is he and he hasn’t been for ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Idah should not start for Ireland. Why choose to start with 10 men? He is best as a sub.

• Advertisement

yes you’re right whoever the 9 is shouldn’t be left isolated.

As regards being “good enough” to play for Ireland? If a judge of player as outstanding as Brendan Rodgers is demands from the traditionally tight fisted Celtic board thinks Adam Idah is good enough for Celtic to shell out 9 million for him; then he’s good enough for us as well. Not a shadow of doubt about.

Remains to be seen can this guy Hallgrimsson get the best out of our players.

It's not the level of teams he's playing against for Ireland, so much as the level of team he's playing for with Celtic. They're just much better than everyone they play in Scotland, so the role is obviously different. Will be interesting to see how he does in the CL against better teams than Celtic though, and that's hopefully where he can learn to do what's needed for Ireland if he's given the nod. (i'm not sure being an option for Celtic in Europe automatically puts him ahead of someone starting for Ipswich having been top scorer in the Championship, or for someone starting in a good Eredivisie side though… they're all playing at decent levels, which is great for us).

For Idah, it's also not just the England game I'm talking about, he's consistently frustrated me over the last 4 years when played up in that role. Loses the ball far too often, and whenever he did hang onto it, it was generally a long pass back to fullback rather than trying to get an angle on the half-turn for a more effective pass. He's young, so he could well develop that side of the game though.

I'd really fear for Collins in midfield, he's decent when a game is in front of him but at DM the game by default will be coming all around you and I don't think he has the head for that… Dara O'Shea maaaybe could. Think he'd be the most positionally flexible of our defenders off the ball anyway. Christ we could really do with Bosun Lawall catching fire at Stoke as a DM this season! Though sounds like he'll be recovering from a back problem for the next while…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

HH should bring back the four, four, **** two as Mike Bassett would say. Whatever formation he wants to choose though we need a partnership up top.

Agree I'd have Ferguson, Szmodics, and Parrott ahead of him as the #9 and if you were to go with two strikers I'd still have Ferguson, Szmodics, or Parrott ahead of him in the pecking order for any of the two spots.

HH talked about the negativities of the three CBs and what you need from them when playing against a lone striker for example. Though I'm still team 3-5-2 if he can get it working. Needs to pull a LWB from somewhere though.

Halgrimsson needs to take over from O'Shea first.

Will return to this when Rodgers starts Idah in the CL which I think could happen v Dortmund. Idah started up front in a few games towards the end of last season and did that traditional centre forward role of linking up the play perfectly. Different level in the Champions League. If Brendan Rodgers thinks he can do it against stronger opponents in the CL; he’ll do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

We don't really have a good RWB option either. Coleman is 35 and likely out for the next fixtures anyway and wDoherty is a liability

He did you’re right for 8 minutes. Obviously hope he gets properly match fit and gets his form back. If he can do that go two up top with him and Idah.

We’ll see over the next few weeks and how much game time Idah gets in the CL. If he’s the form player he should be starting v Finland October 10th.

In a 3-5-2 would definitely be going with Ogbene in that wider role.

Ogbene. The lad impressed when he played WB for Luton.

• Advertisement

And not start the lad that scored 33 goals of which 27 came in the league?

He didn’t do much in the last international window either. He’s hardly undropable. He could also play on the wing perhaps.

Did you miss his performance in the England game?

Idahs been consistently poor for Ireland. Needs to do a what he's doing over a much longer time frame to justify starting him again. If Ferguson is fit for Finland, he starts. Idah isn't in our strongest XI and I don't see a viable way to get Idah and Ferguson in our starting XI.

I am a strongly biased Celtic supporter and make no apologies for it but there’s been loads of Irish lads at Celtic over the years and I wouldn’t have been clamouring for them to be starting for Ireland. However the two at Celtic now are the only players we’ve got playing in the Champions League. They’re playing under a brilliant manager in a team full of confidence. Big tests to come v Dortmund etc and we’ll see how the two Bhoys do. If they’re thriving I’d be starting them v Finland.

We’ll see how they go nearer the time.

I disagree. Yes I did see that England game. He was poor, so was everyone else in green.

We’ll see what Heimir does.

Heimir dropped him for the Greece game.

Idah has been consistently poor.

Idah has been no worse than nearly anyone else playing for Ireland for the last couple of years. They’ve nearly all been “consistently poor”. We’ll be finding out next month if Heimir is able to do anything about it.

Idah has been no worse than nearly anyone else playing for Ireland for the last couple of year

I mean, thats just not true but its a purely subjective opinion. I doubt many people would agree with you on that.

We will see what Heimir does in a few weeks. We know he's dropped him already but that was only one game.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭maximus15

Very few strikers would thrive with Irelands current tactics of hoofing ball forward , either it goes over their head and have to chase lost cause or its played to their feet and nobody is in support then to pass it to .

Likes of idah and ferguson strengths seem to be playing with someone beside them or them playing off the shoulder of defender and thru balls played , with them facing goal and running . They will never do well for ireland unless we change , but I suppose that all falls down on not having midfielders who are allowed to be forward thinking or some not capable of playing defence splitting passes .

• Advertisement

Best we've played in the past 5 years was that brief stint where we had Parrott and Obafemi fit and playing together - particularly with Oba in form. Would love to get back to that sort of style, with two strikers playing close enough to support each other and actively look to get turned and set each other up.

Ferguson's the best Irish striker in years obviously - but in terms of actual performances in an Ireland shirt, I don't think anyone's looked as direct and as capable of a bit of magic as Obafemi. He's made some woeful club choices though, and seems to have a questionable attitude if things go against him, but hopefully can regain something of that Swansea form if he's playing week in week out this year. Tom Cannon has such huge potential too… we've got some real gleams of hope up front if things can just click a little bit for a few lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

it’s Ferguson or bust. The rest of them are ok to decent (parrott has always stood out as the best of them to me since he looked a class apart as a 17 year old at under 21 level) but never likely to develop consistency. Ferguson has natural ability the rest can’t touch.

I agree with much of that.

We need to try something a bit drastic and accept the fact our midfielders don't have the character to perform for Ireland and/or don't have the quality. They need to be bypassed as much as possible and just used as workhorses. We need to get the ball to our forwards as quickly as possible. I'd say we need at least two up top and the any combination needs Parrott to be effective. Ogbene is someone who should also be looked at more as an attacking option and maybe Mcateer. With two of the above, one of Idah and Ferguson could have a chance to do well.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

Parrott actually did well playing that role last season with Excelsior. They basically played 541 with Parrott doing a lot of grafting in that final third as the loan striker which got him his move this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

You’re not sure what I’m looking for?? 🤣🤣

I’m looking for an honest assessment of how Irish players are getting on, and johhnyryan is a gem on this thread.
    Saying Idah’s first goal v second tier Falkirk (a 2 yard tap-in to an empty net) was a ‘top class finish’ is just a lie and definitely not what I’m looking for.

‘Made a good run and stayed onside’, that’s a much better description. No need for hyperbole.

Even with the U21s since Crawford took over the best we looked in games against top opposition is when we played Armstrong and Emakhu together in a front two.

They linked up well with each so much so I believe Armstrong assisted Emakhu and vice versa in the November 2023 window for the U21s.

Reminded me of that Scotland match where Parrott assisted Obafemi and vice versa. Unfortunately Obafemi's attitude stinks because he's got the skill set to play both roles in a front two. Probably our best all round talents up front bar Ferguson but unfortunately for us he's more likely to piss it away than fulfil his potential.

• Advertisement

Connolly officially signs for Sunderland on a one year deal. They've had some start to the season winning five and losing one in the league.

Thought Blackburn would try sign him given their financial issues. Looks like Eustace is starting to get things clicking as they've started the season unbeaten. Pity we didn't try get him as apparently was on less money as Birmingham manager than Kenny was on with us.

Aaron Connolly joins Sunderland on a one year deal. AFAIK they don't really have a recognised striker and with Clarke moving on will be missing a lot of goals.

Connolly should get plenty of game time and needs to make it count as he is surely in the last chance saloon at this stage.

They've a couple of strikers but nothing to write home about. Wouldn't be CFs you'd put your money on getting you promoted. Not that Connolly is either though but Mayenda has started the season well. Two goals and two assists but he only turned 19 in May and spent the start of this year on loan at Hibs but only played 49mins.

Going by their statement we might not see Connolly until after the next international break. No surprise since he's only played around a 120mins in the league in 2024.

Kristjaan Speakman added: “Aaron needs an opportunity to re-establish himself and to reset the perception of him as a professional athlete. It wasn’t long ago that he was scoring goals in the Premier League and playing for his national team, but he has suffered some setbacks.

We all handle challenges differently and when it comes to responding, sometimes we don’t get it right immediately. At Sunderland, he’ll have the environment and support to perform and an opportunity to showcase his ability.

It’s an important 17-game period following the next international break and we believe Aaron can add value to our squad during that period. We look forward to helping him settle and supporting him in that process.”

wish him all the best. Another chance for Aaron. Hopefully he’ll take it.

One year deal that is basically an 8 month deal doesn't exactly suggest anything more than a cover player with zero risk for the club.

Connolly has only himself to blame. Personally think Sunderland is not a great place for him to suddenly have an epiphany. Should have followed Parrott's lead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Was Cannon in the latest Ireland squad? I thought he was tied to us now, I didnt realize it was just a friendly he played in. I was impressed with his Irish debut.

He seemed very firmly committed during all his interviews… of course could still back out, but I'd doubt it at this stage.

Was left out of the last squad as had just moved to Stoke in the days before and hadn't played with them yet.

Has a really high ceiling though, has that bit of raw talent, speed and skill we've lacked aside from Obafemi's purple patch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Ferguson hadn't played since February.

Maybe he should have been played.

I would guess it was more that it was better for all involved for him to spend that little bit of time with his new team, settling in and earning his place. Ferguson's far more established as a player, and has been at Brighton for years, so just getting away for some minutes was good for him. Cannon barely played last year, and was only just in the door at Stoke, with a great early opportunity to get up to speed on training and tactics etc. He went straight into their starting lineup for the next games.

Would hope/expect he's in the next squad if he looks like he's sharp enough and playing alright.

It's essentially a long term trial period for Connolly even more so after the comments from their sporting director. On just his fitness issues alone you wouldn't be offering him more than a one year contract. Best you'd give him is a one year deal with the option to extend it.

If he can even play at the level he was before Angus Gunn committed GBH I think he'll do well at Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

parrott scored in the europa tonight

Saw he got a pen alright - anyone get to watch the match? Was stuck working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

I saw it. It was actually a good watch as both teams had a go in dreadful conditions and made for good entertainment.

Advertisement