Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scam or harassment?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

They won't be ringing you overnight though, turn it on for overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Do clients or appointments call you in the middle of the night? You can set this only to turn on at certain times

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Gabulek16

I turn my phone off for a night now. Got notifications that she tried to call me at 1:20am last night.

As I said before, after surgery I struggled already with sleep, now this made it worse and it's 5th night I was awake at 3am.

At least I caught up with all the news in the morning with lovely coffee.

Post edited by Gabulek16 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Surely the hard task of changing your number is a much easier option than solicitors and private investigators? I changed mine this week it took about an hour to contact all the people I needed to. I don't have profesional clients but all you have to do is create a group and send them a text. Also your number has clearly been compromised so if I was your client I would expect to be made aware of that. I hope you've informed them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭TokTik

Cases like this is why you should always make sure you get a pulse number from any Garda you report anything to. Means they have logged it and can’t fob you off.

I went to the 1st Gardai. So he received the official complaint from 2nd Garda station and finally wanted to take my statement.

I have printed all call logs, text messages and sent him over the Whatsapp messages.

He took an official statement and lodged it into the system.

But I don't have a much hope. He told me it will take few weeks to contact the operator to get details, if any details are in their system.

I told him that you need a valid proof of ID and address to buy a sim card, and she has bought 4th sim card (I got another call yesterday feom 4th number). He was suprised and said good to know, so maybe he will be able to retrive some details 🙈

At the end he told me that he will ring those numbers tomorrow trying to get some details from her, like telling her she won the lotto. I was like wtf she will know it's scam, I said tell her maybe that you are calling from her broadband that there is a better speed, new offer or whatevee. No one would believe over the phone that won in lotto 🙈

But he told me one thing, if this person really wanted to hurt me, would have done it already.

And it looks like revenge. So changing number won't do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Bad situation, but you definitely don't need proper proof of ID to buy a SIM card.

How do all the criminals use these burner phones / sims to conduct their business?

3 numbers she called me from are Tesco mobile. I have asked their customer service, U need a proof of ID and address to buy sim cards.

I would guess they pay someone to go and buy sim card, that person registers his/hers details, gets money and later don't remember who paid him/her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭20/20

QUOTE "At the end he told me that he will ring those numbers tomorrow trying to get some details from her, like telling her she won the lotto. I was like wtf she will know it's scam, I said tell her maybe that you are calling from her broadband that there is a better speed, new offer or whatevee. No one would believe over the phone that won in lotto 🙈" Is this true ??

You mention hospital appointments in most of your comments as a reason for not changing phone number, and I have read some of your history. Are all these appointments connected to the car accident in 2021 ?

In 2021 the height of Covid there were 4 of you in a car that skidded and hit a clay embankment on the way to the airport . The driver who was a friend of yours for over 30 years asked was everyone ok . Then checked the condition of the car and continued to the airport. I assume the car wasnt to badly damaged , but a few days later you visited a doctor and decided to sue your friend for personal injury. All your previous threads seem to be dedicated to suing this person. Do you suspect the harassment is connected to your claim ?? If so why not tell the Guards.

Yes it was true and he was serious.

Yes, my appointments are connected to this accident. It took time for everything, including cancelling my surgery 3 times in UHL due to problem with no beds.

Gardai asked me if I know anyone who could want to take a revenge on me as it looks like revenge. I told him about this accident and claim process. Few comments above I told about my suspicious that all calls started around the time when his insurer decided to settle the case so the defendant lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭This is it

Changing number won't do anything... Except stop this person from calling you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,426 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

100% you do not need id to buy a pay as you go sim. Also 089 is not just Tesco, it could be 48 or Lyca mobile etc. You can pick up a SIM card for those in any corner shop/garage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Get a second phone for the time being. Only use for family and long term friends not acquaintances - no-one other than them should call you on that phone. So at night time, only have that phone beside you . It will be hastle for a while carrying 2 phones around but will ease stress somewhat.

If calls from unknown numbers simply let them go to voicemail - if the caller really wants to reach you they’ll leave a number on message minder- I can’t remember the last time I got an unknown number call as in no telephone number displayed - any calls you don’t recognise let them go to voice mail - you have your clients in your phone book so those numbers will appear with name .

You can sort a lot in the short term - after that give the Gardai time to do their job. If they don’t then complain

Did you try a reverse image search from their WhatsApp?

• Advertisement

In Eir I was told those numbers are Tesco mobile, but maybe was guy told me was incorrect.

On Lyca mobile website says to buy online sim card you need a proof of ID and address. Not sure if the same is at shop. I will actually go tomorrow and ask in any shop.

No you don’t need id for pay as you go. I worked in a shop where we sold pay as you go SIM cards and there were no requirements.

There was only one picture of some child. Other pictures and names she removed.

But I didn't get anything. Also nothing while searching for all those numbers.

Did you try a reverse image search though? The facebook profile should come up as it’s the pic from that usually.

She removed her photos quickly so I don't have any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

So much of this story is beginning to stretch the bounds of credibility. Change your number; it's a slight pita but not insurmountable regardless of pending medical appointments. The Garda's comments seem incredulous. Asking in phone shops is insane: My wife has a number that you would think was 3 but she's with Vodafone. You can't know they have Tesco sims.

If you think it's connected to the insurance claim then next time she calls say "Tell (friend in insurance claim) that this isn't working and the Gardaí now have his name" then hang up.

So a randomer that supposedly happened to have a missed call from your number 1 time has gone to the extent of removing their photo from WhatsApp and picking up SIM cards every day so they can spam you?

It sounds more likely to be a person that you know that has a vendetta against you.

That's what I think. And that's also why I think changing number won't help as they might get my nee number or find a new way to harass me. But without proof I can't tell it for sure that's why I needed Guards to finally take care of this case.

The problem is that it’s likely the guards will not be able to get the details from the numbers but you should have a record of the report anyway and push them to offer some sort of assistance.

Btw. I have read today an article of harassment in Ireland. According to the survey, less than 50% of people reported it. Most of those people had very negative experience with Gardai, were told same as I, that probably they can't do much, change the number etc.

Fear is very powerful tool. Some of those people said they had to take different ways to walk to work/school, change number, change house or even move out from the town.

Why victims of harassment should change numbers, live in fear because our system allows for this harassment.

So what if I change a number and they find a new way to harass me. What would be next ? Sell the house and move somewhere else?

I spent 3 weeks living in fear.

Yeah, my daughter has an 089 number and she’s with Vodafone, was with three before that. You can port your number to any network sure.

Something isnt adding up here especially your dealings with the Guards. You say " Gardai asked me if I know anyone who could want to take a revenge on me as it looks like revenge. I told him about this accident and claim process."

Yet the other day in post #44 you said "The thing is the defendant till today says there was no accident, and I will never get money from him. Could be just coincidence. I haven't told Gardai this, as I don't have any proof it's him."

Which is it ? did you tell the Guards who you suspect ?

My personal opinion thats Karma come back to bite you in the arse for travelling to the airport at the height of Covid in a car with three others. We were all to stay six feet apart and not mix with non family, you werent even flying anywhere.

I told Gardai today when he asked me if I suspect anyone. Before no one took my statements seriously.

2nd part of your comment: are you serious? It was December 2021 and we were allowed to travel. And some of us has family abroad and finally wanted to meet them. Plus we were close to die that day and I have sustained life changing injury, as I still need 1 or 2 surgeries in the future. I would never wish anyone anything bad to happen, so enjoy your life and I hope it's good.

So you told the Guards today about who you suspect and the insurance claim . Yet the Guard still wants to phone her saying she has won the lotto. Do you live in killinaskully . Sound like an episode .

" some of us has family abroad and finally wanted to meet them." Please dont make up stories to suit yourself. You have all-ready stated two of the passengers had a flight to catch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭Woodcutting

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭the14thwarrior

life changing injuries? i wonder could you expand on that?

i'm interested in the case and how it might relate to your harressment. you mention the case is complex, gone to the high court.it might provide context

That is just curiosity. The extent of injuries, complexity of an insurance case etc would not shine any light on this saga. They've gone quiet. Leave them be.

well curiosity is a good thing because it would shine light on a few things that could explain behaviour. For both parties.

The devil is in the details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭TokTik

The second party in this case is unknown, so what light would it shine?

she had said……..I assume the car wasnt to badly damaged , but a few days later you visited a doctor and decided to sue your friend for personal injury. All your previous threads seem to be dedicated to suing this person. …………..

what second person? she is suing the driver of the car. I might be mistaken but thats my read of the thread.

So if you are in the car, and the car skids onto an embankment and you then sue, and the case is going to court…… well I'm more than curious and if I was the driver and the car was able to keep driving and then I get hit with a big lawsuit, perhaps the driver or his family or friends are mighty annoyed. maybe they don't have insurance, or have convictions or have a reason to be really really annoyed.

put batteries in your touch and see the light a bit?

Insurance is handling it and offered a settlement. Read the thread (though it might make your eyes bleed at times). The details of the accident or injuries are moot to the alleged harassing calls.

Could be.

I'll go out on a limb and say the two are connected.

I have received the letter last week that my case was transferred to different Garda station. They have A Victim Crime Department there and are more experience in harassment cases, also got details of Gardai assigned to deal with my case. No update since then.

No more calls for the last few days. So Gardai maybe rang her and she got scared or maybe thinks that I have change a mobile number, as I finally blocked all calls from Unknown numbers (other numbers that are not saved on my phone too, and already received the letter from the bank, they tried to call me). Worked anyways.

I don't know if the claim case is related or not. All started in same time. When Gardai said it looks like revenge and asked me if I could think of anyone, I told him of this guy and insurance claim process. If is him or not, I don't know. Guards will try to find out who was harassing me for over a month.

I won't answer any more questions about the accident. I've read already that what happened to me is karma, and all I want is money etc. It wasn't karma. He was just stupid, driving well above speed limit, in really bad weather conditions and playing on the phone. And no money will bring me back my health and time I lost, things I missed on.

If I hear any update on my case from Gardai, I will update here.

• Advertisement

No money will bring back your health.

for sure i think its related. bad karma to him or her or whoever. only you know if you are being honest

but all this stress and worrying will get you no where, and it will increase your pain, and your anxiety and block your healing.

i personally think that if you know who it is, it is half the battle, perhaps all of it.

I have rang the Gardai that is assigned to my case to see if there is any update. He hasn't even started any investigation on my case. So 2 weeks since he got the case and nothing done. While on the phone to me, he was going through all documents for the first time asking me all the questions again which I gave an answer to already.

Starting to understand why people don't report harassment, there is no real help from Guards.

Advertisement