Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Mobile, coming to Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭N64

1. No issues so far with 2FA SMS. This is from the likes of Appple, Twitch, mywelfare, etc. Far, far more reliable than gomo so far in this respect when I first moved.
      1. My phone says that it's connected to the Sky IE WiFi network. I'm not too sure if it really means it's WiFi dailing but it wasn't beforehand.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

@N64 cheers, you're one of the lucky ones so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Im 8 days since ordering and no sign of a SIM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭walshtipp

Might be worth contacting them. I ordered last Wednesday and my SIM arrived today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭beachhead

Only 1 comment.There is sharp competition between 3 and Vodafone for pricing.Upwards for both

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭arbour

I had to ring on Thursday. They sent out replacement Sim got it today and set up with no issues..

You can order a replacement Sim on the website too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭StormForce13

My Sky Mobile SIM arrived this morning but I'm strongly considering not activating it, as the 48.ie offer of unlimited 5G data for €12.99 a month will meet my requirements and I'm happy with the 48 signal hereabouts.

Am I right to assume that (a) Sky Mobile won't start to charge me until the SIM is activated; and that the 14 day cooling off period wouldn't start until after the SIM had been activated?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23 dos08

For those who are with Sky for a few days, what is your honest opinion on it to date? Bit nervous to make the switch with all the negative reviews

Just confirmed that I still have the 2FA issue (and therefore it's not fixed!). Couldn't get a SMS for a MasterCard payment on my main ported number with Sky.

Luckily I had another few sims hanging around.

Replaced 2FA setting for card with another number, and SMS was received straight away to that (Vodafone) number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Purplej

@

@dos08 I ported in from VF and once the port completed (took about 20h), it's working just fine. 2FA works (mygovID, airlines, banks, etc.). Voice mail, roaming, etc. all working.
    I have not tested Wifi Calling yet, will do so later this week. I ported in from VF, maybe that makes a difference. Could well be that those not receiving 2FA, etc. that their last provider is not letting go of their routing, etc. and its not a Sky problem as such, but they are required to sort it out. I would just get a complaints ref, then Sky have up to 10 working days to resolve. … my learnings from dealing with Three, VF and others, I am done wasting my time with first / second line support - I push for a complaints ref, and wait for the call back or go to comreg. after 10 working days.

I concur, anytime I've had issues that were clearly being ignored, comreg is best route after 10 days.

Ordered my SIM on Friday and it came this morning in the post. Moved my number and it moved almost instantly. Speeds are varying on 5G. Does anyone know the APN settings for Ireland please?

Think I'll be taking that Complaints route cheers. Looks like I have to wait 10 working days, and the day reported is day 1. So I'll be looking for a complaint ref from them this Friday if issue still exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭j_lennon18

Has anyone tested the Sky sim in a router? Are you getting throttled?

I just read a case of someone getting throttled to 12Mbps while the sim is in a router.

Post edited by j_lennon18 on

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Josieg

I signed up for my wife and check with agent to make sure calls and text is covered on the €10 plan too. You can upgrade to €15 anytime if you find that more than 10gb a month is being used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Just edit or create an APN, and in the APN (URL) field put in mobile.sky and leave the rest alone. Save out and you should have data pretty instantly.

With regards to 2FA, I'm not experiencing issues. I've had numerous over the last few days, from Microsoft to PTSB.

I made the mistake of putting my SIM into my phone before porting and as a result Google Messages kept enabling RCS for the temporary 089 number, even after the port completed. A buddy in the US verified that he received an RCS from me from the 089 number instead of my actual number. I tried everything I could think of. I reset the mobile network settings numerous times, cleared the Google Messages app data numerous times, and Google Play Services app data, yada, yada… I knew it wasn't a Sky issue because I could get RCS enabled on my old OnePlus 6T running a Project Elixir Android 14 custom ROM with my actual number. So in the end I just caved in and did a factory reset and restored a Google One backup of my apps, settings, etc. That did the trick and RCS is now working. So be careful, folks. Activate and port the SIM without putting it in until the port is complete. This could also be something of note for iPhone users having issues with iMessage?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Purplej

@biebiebie please make sure you get an official complaints ref from Sky, you don’t need to wait 10 days for Sky. If they can’t resolve once you call, then escalate and don’t give in till you have that reference number.

Unfortunately, ComReg will only act if the ref number was issued 10 working days ago and from my experience, Sky will take you more seriously with a ref number as their clock is ticking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Ordered mine (online) on the 11th….and it arrived today.

BTW, does anybody know how to set up a "Divert when unanswered"…and how to turn off voicemail ? I can't find anything on the Sky Website about either.

@Purplej yep already emailed their official complaints email earlier outlining the 2FA and VoLTE/WiFi calling issues, and asking for an official complaint to be logged.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I've been with them since Saturday and no issues so far. Any 2FA messages I've requested have arrived in a timely manner. Speedtest is showing a download speed of 490 - 500Mbps whenever I've checked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

anyone get any deals out of them as an existing Sky customer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭JMcL

Mine arrived this morning having been ordered on Thursday. I'm going to hold activating for a few days just in case the phone gets borked.

What phone do you have, again? Have you been able to test your Sky SIM in another phone while awaiting a 2FA text?

The reason why I ask is because the problem doesn't exist for everybody and I had my own issues with RCS that weren't necessarily Sky's fault, but rather because of my phone locking in on my temporary 089 number due to not waiting until it was ported before using it, and this went on even after the port. I had to factory reset to resolve the issue but not before I tried my SIM in another phone to see if that worked, and it did, without issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Switched from Eir to Sky this afternoon. 5G speeds are much slower at home than I had with Eir, 4G is quicker even though I'm showing full 5G bars but it's a moot point as when I'm at home I use my broadband anyway.

However the ComReg map shows that I should have the same coverage quality from both providers so am I missing a setting?

My access point didn't get created automatically so I just done what everyone else had done, added mobile.sky as the APN and left everything else as is, MCC is 272 and MNC is 25.

No WiFi calling option available on the sim but I never really used that with Eir anyway but not the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 vapourer

how is everyone finding the call quality on normal phone calls? (Not WhatsApp)

What phone do you have?

Also speeds aren't only dependent on coverage, but also network capacity - total available bandwidth vs. used bandwidth by subscribers at the mast.

I've a OnePlus 12 so decent enough. I'll see how things settle down and when I'm out and about but not quite sure why WiFi calling is gone as an option, maybe they don't support the brand here as it's not on the support list for Sky Ireland but it's at software level anyway.

Post edited by Hurrache on

That's weird. My OnePlus 6T (albeit running a custom Android 14 ROM) shows the options, whereas my Pixel 7 does not.

• Advertisement

Tried on my wife's S22 and it's not appearing on hers either. Must be at carrier level it's enable/disabled by default?

Anyone else seeing it on a phone not provided by Sky?

This is my outdoor 5G speed in a town - not great for 5G tbh.

I got 670 down, 151 up a short while ago when out. Don't think I ever got that when in the city with Eir before.

Re WiFi calling, I had time to kill before a meeting earlier this evening so called support and when they got back to me they said there was a wider issue with this for some customers and it's being investigated. I'm not even getting the VoLTE option in the Sim settings which they asked if it was switched on

@DECEiFER I have a Samsung S22 Ultra. I tried reset network settings but it made no difference. I wouldn't be a fan of factory resetting my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Stiro05

I was messaging sky on Whatsapp regarding no Wi-Fi calling or volte, and eventually I got this response

Thank you for the patience, could you try following the below steps to activate VOLTE on your 5G network phone for Huawei.

Settings > About Phone > Build Number > Press Multiple Times] [Developer Options > Enable Wireless Debugging or USB Debugging] [Open Shizuku > Pair with Honor 90 Lite] Open Pixel IMS and in the settings, enable VoLTE and VoWifi [Open Pixel > Sim Config > Enable VoLTE and Enable VoWiFi]

This gave me the options for Wi-Fi calling but not fully sure it's working as it states ims is unregistered, and there is no vo wifi symbol. When I made a call earlier I was in poor wifi area and call was breaking up, so it was like a wifi call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Is this normal?
    I’ve had no delivery, of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭Kilteragh

I have a Samsung S21 which is with Vodafone. I tried my son's 3 sim in it yesterday and it worked so I'm guessing it's unlocked. However when I look at the available network it only has Vodafone, 3Ireland (twice) and Meteor. Is there any reason why it wouldn't be picking up Eir or Sky?

I don't want to switch until I know it will work with Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Glaceon

A network search will only pick up the real, physical networks. If you can see Vodafone, you'll get Sky. Most phones still detect Eir as Meteor during a search. There's two 3 Irelands because one of them is the old O2 2G/3G network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭Kilteragh

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Day 9 now and still no sign of sim card arriving having ordered in the Dundrum Store.

Looking at issues here, I'm wondering if it's a case of the longer the better before it does.

I wasn't either but once I knew it worked in my old, spare phone, I figured I might as well just get it done, because resetting my network settings did jack **** as well. It's a pain because I have to re-connect my watch afterward. But thankfully no issues in terms of setting up my banking and GPay again - no 24-hour delay or the like.

You should definitely try your SIM in another phone at least.

• Advertisement

@DECEiFER so I tried it in another phone. No dice. Then I put a VF SIM in my my phone and WiFi calling is back in the menu. Remove VF SIM and reinsert Sky SIM and WiFi calling is gone again.

I'd imagine that it's not configured on the back end i.e. it's a Sky issue.

Yip, pretty sure that's the case and I mentioned I had a brief call with them yesterday and they came back to say they're aware of it. I don't get the option on the Sky SIM on either of my phones in which I previously could use it with a different provider.

Oh - I was speaking specifically about the 2FA issue. I can't get WiFi calling to work, period. Even after enabling it on my OnePlus 6T last night, which does have it on the menu, I just get an error in the dialer to say turn on the radio or connect to wireless, which I was. Now, this was in airplane mode.

Just in case airplane mode was the problem, I thought how could I simulate a dead signal another way. So I had previously enabled the visibility of the settings on my Pixel 7 as well using Pixel IMS (which persists unless you take the SIM out of the phone), and I tried just now to turn off 2G and VoLTE, lost cellular signal as I was hoping (because Vodafone turned off 3G), and I got the same message, even though I'm connected to WiFi.

I also ordered a GoMo SIM and I may port over. I'll get it in the mail a few days before my 14th day with Sky and I'll make a decision to stay or go then.

Very impressed so far.

I got a call from them yesterday as I had registered on the website when it came out. I had my doubts at first because of reading some of the issues on here but I figured I'd give it a go so signed up. The SIM arrived today, so only a little over 24 hours since taking the call!

I put the SIM in, activated it, and my number ported over within less than 5 minutes. I'm using an iPhone 13 so I popped in the APN settings and everything looks to be working. VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling are good and I had no iMessage activation issues. One thing I did do was to go into Settings > Mobile Service > (selected Sky SIM as I have two SIMs) > My Number, and added my number in there in international format. If anyone's having iMessage activation issues, maybe this might help kick it forward?

Speeds are the same as Vodafone, although the pings are higher as was mentioned. That shouldn't be too big a deal for me though. We'll see how the 2FA SMS works, fingers crossed on that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

SIM ordered Saturday.. has arrived today.

As per above, I'll activate before putting into the phone though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4 Croche1887

sounds like a good deal alright , im sticking with 3 Ireland for 20 euro you get all you can eat data and 5G

I'd advise you wait for the port to complete, as in, your current SIM's signal goes dead before putting it in. It might save you some trouble!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 vapourer

How is everyone finding the call quality? And if anybody has a Vodafone sim, a sky vs vodafone speed test ran after one another would show if we are getting the same speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yep I saw your post above :) - SIM is staying in the pack till the existing GoMo one dies!

I'm not in the best area, but the Speedtest.net results with my Vodafone SIM are 146 down and 2.98 up with 28ms ping. Sky in the same location got 115 down and 7.99 up with 59ms ping.

• Advertisement
Advertisement