Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon WFH Policy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

Interesting thread.

I am in a predicament at work a little. Currently working hybrid 1-3 days on site. Average 2.5 per week I would say. 3 hours a day commute (120 km each way). A lot of autonomy in my role. And I can likely get away with 4-5 hours work on my days at home.

A fully remote role has come up that I would have a strong chance of getting. Side step. Might be small pay rise but nothing more than a couple of k. Can still come into office if I want and as I want but the role is more global with no need to be on site…….Would be more boring…….very boring…..less autonomy as I would be constantly chasing other people (not reports) try get them hit dead line compliance metrics rather than maker of my own destiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Fair enough.

I was referring to those in private sector who apply, interview & then decline the offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

As I said a few times I’m talking here about graduates in the FAANG companies, these will typically be the best of the best students but they are being offered in the range of €100k and this can rise quickly if they perform well. Screenshots below from a few of the big payers from levels.fyi. I know from working in these places that this is what the pay is for grads so can confirm it is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Open to correction but isn't it something like 6.5% of the working population earn over 100k. The numbers on 150 or 200+ are tiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Probably because some people work to live, not live to work. Crazy, I know.

The way you've described the new role, you don't want it.

no I don’t, I want the remote aspect of it and trying to balance that out against it the negatives.

Also the thoughts prepping for an interview….shudder.

I'm all for remote. But that role seems a pita. I think you'll be pulling your hair out in 3 months.

You're being told that even when someone is in the top 5% it's not enough. You need to spend more time in the office to get them higher. Then you can both be unequally happy. Or happy because they've told you that you will be happy.

• Advertisement

You'd have to wonder did they get a better offer, or a bad vibe at the interview that gave them cold feet.

it’s a global CAPA role. Painful stuff.

And used to the commute 8 years at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

No organisation is going to hire a graduate into an SRE role with benefits at over 100K a year, no matter how "best of the best" they are in college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Unfortunately it's the people working to live who are struggling to live at the moment.

No such thing as a housing crisis or cost of living crisis when you're single and on north of 100k a year.

As with anything, there is nuance to that.

There very much can be a housing crisis or living crisis for someone on 100K a year if they have bad spending habits. It is all well and good getting a good wage, it is another thing to be smart with it.

• Advertisement

Well, as with anything there will be exceptions, but they are just exceptions.

My point is that money buys comfort and security. It's all well and good to say you should work to live, but if your work can't fund your living then you're pretty much stuck. There's a limit to how much a person can cut back their spending. There's no limit to how much a person can earn.

Well, as with anything there will be exceptions, but they are just exceptions. 

Of course, however I wouldn't mark them in the rare occurrences. Once people earn more, they spend more.

My point is that money buys comfort and security. It's all well and good to say you should work to live, but if your work can't fund your living then you're pretty much stuck.

Money CAN buy those things, but not always. It will depend on lifestyle and so on, you might be viewing this from your own perspective and I get that. I have seen first hand when folks earn lots, they aren't always wise or smart with their money. Like I said, once you earn more, you will spend more.

If work can't fund your living or lifestyle, you can either get a new job and earn more, or adjust the lifestyle. If the basics can't be covered by your income, (rent/mortgage, food, transport, medical etc), then yes, there is an issue there.

There's a limit to how much a person can cut back their spending. There's no limit to how much a person can earn.

There is very much a limit on what a person can earn though. Even the most senior engineer with hit a cap at a tech firm, and to earn more they might have to move to SF or somewhere like that, in which case their outgoings are higher. Unless you are a founder or get in at an early stage and get equity etc, you won't be a millionaire working a standard job. Working for yourself, perhaps, but even at that, it would take over most of your life.

Cutting back on spending can always be improved, if someone will change their lifestyle enough for it.

Some feel compelled to apply - the dreaded "optics". Then they get cold feet when the offer lands. Would be much better off not putting their name forward.

Statistically there is a limit for most people.

That's quite the leap from not taking a promotion to not being able to survive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

as I’ve said before you can prioritise earnings and your career without solely living to work.

• Advertisement

Some on this thread have already said they write off people who don't apply for promotions. It's a bit of a daft corporate catch 22. It's the exactly the Peter Principal. But then they don't agree the principle exists. Can't win that one.

Well I would have said that everyone prioritises their earnings, as the primary reason people work is for money. As for someone who works harder therefore they earn more, that is not the case at all. Even hard workers are on the chopping block if cuts were needed, and if you work beyond what you are meant to be doing, that is just free work for the company and only benefits them.

Dragging everyone back to commuting into the office 5 days a week is absolutely living to work. It's the embodiment off prioritising work in the office to everything else.

isn’t this thread proof that they don’t , people saying they would take big pay cuts to stay fully remote. As for the rest of the post are you responding to me? Or just making a general point ? Working hard beyond what you are ‘meant’ to be doing is generally how people differentiate themselves and how younger staff especially progress quickly versus their peers.

Obviously there is "value" to remote working for many. Enough to be worth more financially.

Working harder seems to imply longer, and smarter is no where to be seen.

"...Are return-to-office mandates working? Most companies don’t know how to measure it..."

Not that it's matters. You've no say in it, other than walking.

If they can't measure the benefit of returning to the office, then how did they measure the benefit of WFH?

I assume they sent someone called Peter around to people's homes to watch people sitting at a desk at home.

Lots of people saying they will and actually doing it are very different.

And that’s not how you generally differentiate yourself from the others, just get your job done, which can be done with basic effort within the work week, so “above and beyond the call of duty”. Use the least amount of effort to get your job done, you’ll progress just as fast and stress free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sounds like you've just got bad staff tbh, maybe as a result of being micromanaged.

I'm a manager with a lot of direct reports and my company has mandated a 50% office attendance policy which to me is a happy enough medium. Trekking into the office for no meetings is a waste of my time so I plan my WFH days accordingly and commute when there's a need to interact in person (even then, most meetings don't need to be face-to-face or could be an email)

I allow my people longer lunches if they want when they WFH, to go collect the kids from school, to have staggered start and finish times, to take a cancellation at the dentist, to get their car serviced, and much more. And in return, their productivity has gone up over the past few years and I have no negative attrition. If people are happy and producing then there's no need for me to micromanage. Everyone wins.

I also get more done at home simply because I'm out of sight, out of mind and don't have people tapping me on the shoulder every ten minutes. Like most things, balance is key and hybrid should be the way forward wherever possible. If you can't trust your people, maybe a review is needed.

• Advertisement

"Up sticks", bringing a laptop in a bag and plugging it into the monitors in the office instead of the ones at home? This is quite the dramatisation.

Hybrid is better than 100% of either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I've done this based solely on the attitude of HR, HR is one of the defining reasons not to take a job in some places, they are simply awful. Stupid sh1t like, you have to start 4 weeks from the job offer date, and not understanding that no, I won't be handing in my notice until I see a contract in my hand and that notice could be longer than 4 weeks.

I disagree, sometimes during the interview itself, you find out something about the role or company that doesn't work for you, that is it, nothing more, nothing less.

I am referring to internal vacancies. The person is already employed by the company and researching the role is something you do before you do the interview. And when it's in-house, it's a lot easier to find out stuff.

so the posters here are full of hot air is what you are saying? I tend to agree. As for your thoughts on the best way to progress i disagree.

In house you might get a internal counter offer or hear something in the grapevine afterwards that wasn't in the interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 boardsdotie44

Im married and work part time (49yrs old), no kids, just back from Morocco, getting an extension build nxt month, own my own home, have a 2nd property rented out :)

Life is good :) I definitely work to live and far from struggling..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭SodiumCooled

While I would like a fully remote job or one that you only pop into the office a few days per month hybrid is indeed a nice medium. I do like keeping my WFH and office days in a row though, not that it’s a big job as you say but it’s nice to get a run in one place and the other. So I have always done Monday and Friday at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Salaries are higher in the US but its all relative. People graduating college in the US basically leave with a mortgage of college loans, the APR can be 7-8% on that too.

Its very clear what Amazon are doing in bringing people back into the office for 5 days a week. They want to reduce their work force, and this is the cheapest way of doing this, you work people out of a job, it costs the employer nothing. They can say its about efficiencies and being able to collaborate better, but that's all a big pile of BS. I work in a US tech company, the whole company is WFH since covid. We have offices across 4 locations in North America and Europe. We have no single team, in any of our departments that are based in a single location. My current team consists of individuals working out of 4 different countries, so if we were to go back into the office, my day wouldn't be much different that it is at home, when I need to talk to some team members, its via IM or teams calls. I would expect the situation in Amazon is very similar.
    Thankfully, we have downsized our office space in Dublin, which has saved us a lot of money in both rent and energy bills. we have only hot desks now, and only enough for around 1/3 of our Dublin work force.

It really depends on the type of industry you are in. Lower paid workers in a dead end boring job are far more likely to slack off. Higher paid, career driven employees in a satisfying job where there is great career growth potential rarely slack off.

• Advertisement

No shortage of scandals involving highly paid people at the top getting nothing done. I've met a few top level people I wouldn't let build Lego. Dangerous with a crayon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭Dr.Tom

Wouldn't be so sure about that…..

I previously worked for a global medical device company and the type of people promoted weren't career driven.

They were basically bottom kissers, knew who to befriend and knew what committees to be on in order to increase their salary.

Doesnt say much for the places you work folks, management are being described as idiots, barely able to tie their own shoe laces and being promoted because of their sucking up abilities,

id get out now before they go under….

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭HurlingBoy

I agree. Companies that build a culture of career growth and employee development will not be impacted by WFH policies. If you know that you are going to get recognition by working hard you will still need to get the work done at home or in the office. Often in these companies workers will feel that being in the office is to your advantage i.e building better networks, visibility etc. It might suit some people when they get to a certain level to just do the minimum and not work the longer hours to focus on family e.g if worker has young kids that they need to look after, etc but they do run the risk of staying on the same level for too long and these are the first out door if company cuts headcount. For other companies that don't value career growth WFH can have a negative effect on morale particular if the WFH policies are not adhered and those violating the rules are not pulled up on it. If a manager is not in the office you cannot expect his direct reports to be motivated or if a direct report is not in the office and gets away with it the other team members will not be happy either.

I seen similar stuff before early in my career, when I worked for a large American Financial company. After two years of doing good work, no promotion because there wasn't a "business need" for our department to have a higher grade software engineer, and no pay increase because I was on the "appropriate" rate for an engineer at that grade. All the time other engineers were being promoted in different departments. So I left, went to a much smaller company where you couldn't hide, and career progression was based on how good you are at doing your job, not based on who you are friendly with!

Yup, I think a lot of people will say and do different things. The jobs market is also a factor as well, so if it was gang busters like 2/3 years ago, then people can speak with their feet and bail. I am sure some actually have left due to certain circumstances changing, not saying that it doesn't happen, just not as often.

We of course can disagree on how to progress (I was expecting that), I am at the stage in my career to know that all that matters is getting your work done, showing up, and not being a dick. "High performers" etc, who burn the midnight oil and do tasks outside of their JD, they aren't guaranteed a promotion, or safety if the company falls on hard times, that is a myth. So my own advice to young professionals is to do your work with the least amount of effort, foster good relationships in your job, but always put your own needs before that of any company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Whatever the rationale for Amazon to do this, it ultimately means that WFH isn't an option for any staff anymore. Just say they get their headcount down, do the bring it back in again?

The rationale for removing it isn't really that important to those that work there or plan to work there in future.

It's obvious some here only have the experience of one mostly company. If you've worked across a number of companies and industries, or as a contractor you see the reality of it all.

no one is guaranteed anything but there are ways to make it more likely you will be the one promoted or not the one cut.

If that hybrid arrangement works for you, great. My team all work different days and hours to suit their personal needs and preferences. I WFH on days I’ve football training so I’m not rushing home from the office and can eat properly before playing. The work gets done so it doesn’t matter who’s where on what days for the most part. How it should be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement