Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hezbollah pager explosions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

They were elected by a majority in Gaza. Now they are supported in the West Bank. IRA support increased massively following the brutalisation of Bloody Sunday, Hunger Strikes etc.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭weisses

Of course…The only thing Israel is accomplishing is the creation of more Palestinians who are willing to die for the cause, and they are also are making sure sympathy in normally supporting nations is dwindling as well… Its a loose loose scenario

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

There was a report in Haaretz about the IDF sending down syndrome Palestinians into tunnels. This is among dozens of other incidents in this war and over the years where the IDF have done things that cannot be justified as self defense. No one would say anything that happened before October 7th justified what happened that day, yet for sean w and others it's seem because of what happened on that day anything Israel does is justified. If you agree with Sean then how can you call the IDF morally superior and a Government backing it as civilised and maintaining western values when it has being doing things like throwing Palestinians off roof and using human shields. Sean would condemn the other side for doing this as barbaric, but when the IDF do it, it's seemingly grand because it's self defense. Do you not see the rank hypocrisy here Cordell?

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Cordell

There was a report in Haaretz about the IDF sending down syndrome Palestinians into tunnels

I'm not going to comment on "a report" and we're talking about Hezbollah, not Gaza or Hamas. Hezbollah has no reason to attack Israel, other than killing jews.

• Advertisement

Your brought it up about Israel only ever defending itself. You seem to think self defense mean you can do whatever you want if you class it as self defense. That's not how it work if you supposedly adhere to western values and view yourself as a democracy who abides by international law.

So you prefer to deny that this happened by dismissing it as a "report". How about B'tselem and other organisations who documents these violations of international law. Still no comment I suppose.

I am seeing a pattern here you dismiss any information that contradicts your narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

re: buffer zone

There are already is one, we even have soldiers there on UN mission

The problem is Hezbollah shooting over the buffer zone with artillery and rockets

I would be all for the UN lads in middle immediately retaliating with double the amount to any launches from either side with a trajectory over the buffer

Apply same to Gaza too where a UN buffer with counter battery radars can be put in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Number 1. My background is a catholic farmers son from Munster. So if you're mistaking me for an Irish Protestant (planter in your narrow view) then you are wrong. Some of my friends growing up would have been Protestant and they often said to me how difficult it was at times.

Also post the Norman French/ Welsh invasion of Strongbow and others there was huge settlement from South West England around Bristol but also artisians from East Anglia . So it was a plantation. The Norman's weren't taking over unclaimed land

Thirdly. It's not the Bible I'm relying on for the historical facts around the jews being expelled by Hadrian from their homeland. It's factual history as described by multiple sources from Josephus to the flavians. Look at titus's column in Rome from 70ad. It shows the booty from the second temple..it shows looted menorahs, treasure and Jewish slaves. Like this is '101' historical fact and you're trying to contest it? The Bible is also an historical source. That's not a question either from Historians. Its a legitimate source but not the only spurce.Jesus was a real person sir..like do abit of study.

Palestinians are Arabs. I dont contest that there's Arabs that were many generations in the area that consider themselves 'Palestinians '. There's no genetic differences between them and Jordanians, Egyptian Arabs ect. I don't deny that they should have a safe place to live. However they've very poor leadership..very poor indeed. They've let themselves down badly time and time again. The two state solution is probably gone now unfortunately and it's the Palestinians fault for not accepting many many attempts of settlement. There comes a time when it's time to say 'lads good luck and safe travels to a safe Arab country.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Whatever their rationale for existing,

Hezbollah should, as per the agreement, reached in 2006, move north of the Litani. They should also cease firing to spare Lebanon further suffering because Israel is not going to stop and it's as per usual civilians that will suffer the most. Their military leadership have been all but wiped out. They cannot hope to defeat the Israeli army. So why prolong the suffering of civilians.

By the same token Israel should also respect UN resolutions and implement international court decisions. It might help further to reduce tension long term. The apologists for Israel usually don't call for these reciprocal gestures. Therein lies the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Cordell

For reasons that are long gone. What's important is why do they continue to exist, and the answer to that is because they are a proxy for Iran's war against Israel. They are an internationally recognized terrorist organization and destroying any of their members should be celebrated.

• Advertisement

Are you serious? Hezbollah was founded to counteract an Israeli attack on Lebanon. Pick up a newspaper. Is that reason “long gone”?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭dmcdona

Poster was talking about the IDF and their "methods".

Here's a BBC report - note how the IDF raided the house, injured the disabled man (using an "attack" dog) and then left him to die. They then claimed bizarrely that "Hamas use civilians as shields" - as if that exonerated their actions.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cz9drj14e0lo.amp

….

And how would such killings be "celebrated"?

Perhaps a load of Israelis in a pickup truck driving around the locale brandishing their weapons and shouting "victory!"?

Sounds familiar.

A sham.

There was never a rules based order- it was more of a case do as we say, but not as we do in practice. It's just that the last nine months has brought this double standard to the fore whereby it can't be ignored. With this in mind Ursula was very much against Russia blocking aid and targetting civilian structure, but when Israel has done similiar things she has nothing to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Quite a monologue, but you didn't answer my one question.

Do you think Israel invaded Lebanon for the craic?

Hamas won elections but the defenders of democracy would not recognise the results.

The poll is from the West Bank, not Gaza.

But don't you find it odd that most people in the West Bank openly support a reactionary right-wing fascist organisation whose main aim is to kill Jews, in Israel and the world over?

Hamas is arguably the closest representation on earth to the Nazi party, and we have people here giving them a free pass, like yourself.

Let me guess, Israel should be nicer to them, buy them presents and they will stop hating Jews???

Because it suits your point of view?

Who has ruled the region for close to 400 years?

I'm not sure why you keep asking this question over and over? And I know you're not asking me…

I don't think anyone would argue that Israel is waging its wars for "the craic".

Their basis for warmongering can be called into question and certainly their methods.

There are undoubtedly IDF soldiers who have murdered "for the craic" though.

"Netanyahu's murder network"

Haaretz:

The IDF said it killed the head of Hezbollah's missile unit in a "targeted strike" in Beirut. Over 220 rockets were fired from Lebanon at Israel on Monday. The Lebanese Health Ministry said 558 people had been killed in Israeli airstrikes since Monday.

Israel has "no territorial ambitions" in Lebanon or elsewhere, Israeli President Isaac Herzog told CNBC.

President Biden is "beginning to acknowledge" that the chances of reaching a cease-fire/hostage deal in Gaza are the lowest since he proposed his plan in May.

A foreign source familiar with cease-fire talks told Haaretz that negotiations have made no progress in a considerable time.

At the UN General Assembly, President Biden said "Full-scale war [between Israel and Hezbollah] is not in anyone's interest."

• Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said that the Israeli government is "practicing ethnic cleansing, a clear genocide," and that the Palestinians, whose basic rights "have been usurped," are "rightfully exercising their legitimate right of resistance…It's heroic." He added: "Seventy years ago, just as Hitler was stopped by an alliance of humanity, Netanyahu and his murder network must be stopped by an alliance of humanity."

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone would argue that Israel is waging its wars for "the craic".

Because the narrative is that Israel 'just likes war", "they have a blood lust that needs to be satisfied"

Sure we have a regular poster who seriously thinks Israel wants to depopulate the West Bank, Gaza and Lebanon.

I ask the question because there is a core reason why Israel attacks Hezbollah and Hamas and Iran, because if you ignore the reasons, you just simplistic soundbites.

"Just be nicer and Hamas won't want to exterminate all the Jews..!"

Yea, its that simple isn't.

The

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Except he's not a dictator. He's an asshole and he's corrupt, but he's not a dictator.

And he's not wrong. The massacres need to stop.

I agree. I can't think of any State that has waged war or invaded anywhere just for the craic.

I do believe that the reasons for such actions can be questioned (in all cases) and debated.

In this case, I have no difficulty supporting Israel in their fundamental right to defend itself from terrorists. They have the right to protect their citizens and their land (within the law). If that means invading another country or attacking it to ensure such protection, then I have no argument about that.

The arguments around the methods used and "proportionality" etc. are a different ball game.

I have said it before - the IDF, Israeli war cabinet, Hamas and hezbollah can all bugger off to a remote location and knock 7 colours out of each other to their hearts content.

Just leave the civilians out of it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/19/recep-tayyip-erdogan-turkey-president-election-dictator-seeks-total-control

Since then, he has cemented his powers..

I do believe that the reasons for such actions can be questioned (in all cases) and debated.

OK, lets debate it.

If a terrorist outfit is on your border with a huge arsenal of rockets and missiles, and it's constantly firing them into populated civilian areas, killing innocent civilians (11 children in a playground in a recent strike) what do you?

Ask them nicely to stop?

Give up and give in to their demands?

Buy them presents and have a sing-song after?

Ignore them, while they kill your citizens?

Attack them?

Not my point of view … this was about the US **** stirring in the middle east and its consequences, Unless the US was doing the same destabilizing efforts 400 years ago ?? don't think so.

Below my post you reacted to

"the biggest contributor to the unrest in the middle East is the US and its proxies"

I gave you a timeline you could look up…. But by going with your last reply I think I wasted my time providing you with some factual material to read

Or wonder why they want to attack you in the first place, and go from there …. perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Presumably you agree that the reason they haven't "buggered off to a remote location" is … Hamas and Hezbollah, rather than Israel? And that Hamas and Hezbollah are hiding among civilians for exactly the reason that posters here are using to complain about Israel.

How exactly is Israel to defend itself against attacks on its citizens within Israel other than by attacking the attackers wherever they are? If they carpet bombed the Sinai desert, say, there would be very few civilian casualties - but I'm not convinced it would have any effect against another October 7th, and nor would it allow the residents of the evacuated northern towns to go home.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭2Greyfoxes

What if the answer to that question is because they hate your ethnicity and want to see it removed from the region?

Clever word play may win debates, but it doesn't make it true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Yeah, they don't want anything other than a Muslim state in the region.

That's why, when there were multiple movements of populations in the period following the collapse of the Ottoman Empire, the Christians were forced to leave Turkey (and other countriesà, the Muslims were forced out of Greece, and the various countries basically did a swap with most of their minority religious and ethnic groups. Lebanon was to be the Christian majority state for those who didn't want to go to Greece or the US or other existing Christian countries.

The Jews OTOH had nowhere to go when forced out of Yemen, Iraq, Turkey etc - except after the new state of Israel was set up, with the agreement of the UN. But the Arabs wouldn't even allow them 2% of the region - it was to be Judenrein. Hence the combined Arab countries went to war the day after Israel was created.

To hear posters on here, you'd think that only Palestinians had ever had to move as part of that forced remake of a whole region over decades. That's just not the case. Hundreds of thousands, possibly millions, of people moved. Like Muslims and Hindus after their states were set up.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The religion.

Jews are considered the worst, worse than women or gays and that says something.

I'm agreeing with you! I think the current actions of Israel are absolutely valid for security and safety of its citizens.

My general point of invasions being debated/questioned applies to other situations - e.g Russia/ukraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

actually they invaded lebanon to annex southern lebanon as was their plan.

there were no PLO incursions from lebanon, that was a false flag claim similar to the false flag claims that lead to israel invading their other neighbours both in 67 and 73.

israel invade their neighbours simply to steal land.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement

A general principle - anyone that wants to wage war, let them all eff off and have at it. Just leave the civilians alone.

Of course carpeting bombing the Sinai will have no effect - but bombing Gaza with 2000lb ordnance is not the way either.

There are rules of war - Israel is breaking them.

it is mentioned, and condemned.

however without america, israel would have very little weaponry to engage in it's terror/genocide/ethnic cleansing campaign.

germany and the UK would never be able to supply the israely terror machine.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Every third bomb is from Germany, but the left can’t bring itself to blame them

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Will0483

The entire Arab world and the vast majority of European Muslims want the complete destruction of Israel and to kill every last Jewish person if possible. Israel needs all the weapons it can get and the support of the US and Europe to defend itself from all of the hate filled people surrounding it.

The Israelis are compelled to exact incredible retribution in response to any aggression from it's multitude of enemies. Any weakness or hesitation would be fatal in this context. It's really a situation that most can only imagine and all of the millions of words written here are ultimately worthless as the Israeli's are going to do what they have to as their very survival is at stake.

So you agree with Israeli actions in trying to protect is borders and citizens from indiscriminate fire.

Perhaps then we should focus on those proxies who are funded by Iran and put pressure on Iran itself.

If Iran was out of the picture, the region would be much safer, and these military actions would not be needed.

• Advertisement

They never 'annexd' south Lebanon, and withdrew their forces in 2000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭taratee

Why don't Hamas/Palestine do that then i.e. give back the hostages? If they continue on with the war, they are giving Bibi what he wants.

yet they have blamed and condemned germany, so you are stating misinformation.

there is no evidence that all of the arab world and the majority of european muslims want any of those.
    yes, some will want the destruction of israel because the reality is it threatens the whole of the middle east.
    a tiny minority of nuts want the extermination of all jews but it's never going to happen so it's a fantasy.
    yes, israel needs the support of europe and america to continue it's terror machine and that is what it is, israel has rarely ever simply defended itself.
    your last statement is just sky fairy and hasbara guff, israel was never and is not under existential threat.
    if it even was the case that this was true, that's down to israel's own behaviour and quite frankly play stupid games win stupid prises because continuing to support the israely terror machine and it's victim playing is costing us dearly.

Where? There are hundreds of posts blaming Americans but nothing I seen about Germany who should be getting at least a third of the condemnation

Yes - agreed. Israel has that right. I've never had any issue with that right by the way - just the methods.

I'm not familiar with the wider complex middle east history/politics. But yes, anyone funding, arming etc. those attacking Israel should be pressured to stop.

As should Israel where they are using weaponry provided by third parties where such use is against the law (proportionality). I believe those arms are provided with those caveats in place.

but it was the plan, they were unable to do it because there was heavy fighting and they suffered horrendous casualties.

that is why they withdrew along with america ordering them to do so.

well to be fair why would they when israel will just keep slaughtering anyway.

they did try to give them back but israel said no.

chances are the remaining hostages are sadly dead now thanks to israel's terror machine.

Firstly in a message format such as boards.ie what alternative is there to monologue? Maybe you have the 2.0 version.
    Secondly I didn’t take your question seriously because it is so obviously fasciotious.
    Thirdly you still can’t bring yourself to acknowledge that your beloved IDF has killed more of their fellow Irishmen than Hezbollah.

you will find plenty of it, try the hamas thread for a start.

• Advertisement
Advertisement