Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Service from main dealers is getting worse and worse....

• 25-09-2024 11:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭

Background to this is that i have bought 4 new Audis over the past 10 years or so, 2 A5 sport backs and then an Etron 50 and finally a 55. The first 3 cars were bought from Audi South Dublin, the last one (and most expensive) i ended up going to Audi wexford because Audi South Dublin appeared not to be bothered selling a 95k car to me and couldnt return phone calls. In fairness Audi Wexford were very good and very responsive.

Fast forward 2 years and the 55 is in for its first check up, all pretty routine but two things i asked them to check

a) a piece of external trim around the wheel arch wasnt sitting flush (and hasnt been for a long time), they agreed it didnt look like there was any fault on my side or any impact but they needed to get approval from Audi to replace it under warranty. It took me 3 weeks of unanswered phone calls and a complaint to the head of audi ireland about how useless these lads were to get a call back to let me know that the claim had been rejected as it was body work and that someone had left me a voicemail 2 weeks previously (they had not)

b) the power assisted boot lid groans a bit, i assumed it just needed to be lubricated but apparently its a bigger job and the car needed to be booked in for 'diagnostics'. Told them id need a loan car so they booked it in for 3 weeks later and said a loaner would be available (as it was in for warranty work).

Wife arrives up this morning and its a manual a3, she hasnt driven a manual in about 15 years so she told them to arrange something automatic and call us back. That will be another few weeks.

Ultimately the boot thing is an annoyance rather than anything else so it can wait but surely they should be using these interactions to encourage customers to buy new models they have in (equivalent to what they have already bought) and try arrange a loaner of one of these. Ultimately if it had been an auto a3 that would have been fine, and in fairness i didnt specify when booking the car in, but if there was any kind of joined up thinking up there surely someone should go, eh we have massively overprice the new Q6 etron, they arent selling that well, maybe one of the idiots who massively overpaid for a q8 could be duped into something new and shiney if we let him test it for a few days 😂 (spoiler alert i wont be but they dont know that). Maybe i am expecting too much but it just seems like common sense to me.

I am giving strong consideration to buying a model Y next and be done 'premium german customer service'. It doesnt exist (in fairness Gumbo has been banging this drum for some time as have others) and whatever was there is getting worse and worse.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

update they are taking it back in Monday and will provide her with an automatic which is a quick turnaround at least. Actually it reminded me of a previous time there was some issue with a diesel a5 we had that took ages and we ended up getting the service managers q5 for a period, he wasnt too happy….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Luna84

Why didn't you just take the manual car. It's not rocket science to drive one.

no its not, but i wasnt there myself and my wife didnt fancy it. Maybe its unreasonable to expect an equivalent car but a bog spec version of their entry level model isnt great. I think you are missing the general point of the post, i was kind of expecting that tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭freddieot

I'm driving 45 years and stayed with autos for the last 18 years.

Its not rocket science for sure and personally I could go back to manual but it is quite different and would take me a few days to be comfortable with one again.

I definitely understand how the OPs wife felt when she was faced with putting up with one for a day or two. It's not worth the hassle and paying 95k should buy some consideration from the dealer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mk7r

I think there is probably a mix of issues happening really. There is a big shortage of new cars and dealers don't have cars just sitting there to loan to people, let alone in the trim they might like.

A courtesy car is also not a requirement and they are being provided less and less, mainly due to problem 1.

The last issue is that margins for dealers on new cars are getting smaller and smaller and while it was a 95k car, the dealer didnt see very much of that money (margins do change depending on a few factors but can be as low as 1000-1200 for the supplying dealer) all the money is in aftersales work and selling used trade ins.

• Advertisement

Courtesy cars are provided as a matter of course for defects under warranty (as they should be to be fair but no special treatment there) but appreciate the point on the margin, i know retail margins are skinny. That said its a perfect opportunity to try sell something to a repeat customer and its not being taken, if anything they are encouraging the opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mk7r

They definitely aren't required to be provided for warranty work but dealers do try their best in warranty cases to keep people rolling.

Many manufacturers are looking into direct sales models for the future as the dealership thing isn't working as well as it used to.

AnAnd with regards the selling to a repeat customer, is it worth having a 100k car sitting there and risking loaning it out on the off chance it might convince someone to get one, and if thst person does buy one its unlikely to be the one in stock as people spending 100k will want a "new" one to their own spec.

I dont know about required but its their policy (or at least thats what they have told me).

I agree with you, i know a few people in the industry, retail is a nightmare at the moment they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭whippet

I had to leave my car in for a service and some warranty work - they'd have it for 3 days. Gave me a demo car as a courtesy - ended up buying it off them. So when I drop this in for a service i'll be expecting the sales guys to have a serious courtesy car waiting for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

sorry cars i meant, specifically the german premiums

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I don’t know much about the premium motor retail situation in Ireland but we traded in a 2020 BMW a month ago and didn’t find any German retailers chasing our business.

It was very much, here is the price take it or leave it. Nobody seemed bothered whether we bought. All very polite and reasonable customer service but no hard sell or pursuing a deal.

I very much got the impression that business was good enough.

That said I would hate to think what the overheads are in these places.

Going forward with electric cars, services will be less of a money maker so probably a good time for the manufacturer to take over the whole operation.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Going forward with electric cars, services will be less of a money maker so probably a good time for the manufacturer to take over the whole operation.

Not only are manufacturers gradually taking over the retail network, they are gradually pushing customers into a subscription based approach. You want air con? €5 per month. You want to listen to the radio? €5 per month. etc.

Advertisement