Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon WFH Policy

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

will they bring it back? Who knows. If they need to hire more people in the future, and they are failing to attract the talent they require, then I would wager nothing would be off the table.

The rational given by the CEO makes zero sense,
    "Andy Jassy emphasized the benefits of in-person work, such as increased collaboration, innovation and cultural connection."
    Thats pure BS, have a look at the amazon share price now compared to 2019, when everyone attended the office 5 days a week. Its all optics and money saving, this means that they don't have to announce and most importantly, pay for redundancies.

https://thehill.com/opinion/technology/4885672-amazon-return-office-controversy/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Again the rationale isn't important to the people currently working there or those that may work there in future. It's just another organisation that doesn't have a WFH policy.

If Amazon are having issues filling positions down the line I doubt they will put it down to a lack of a WFH policy and if they do they will no doubt increase some other area of employee benefits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

That is a misguided myth, I am afraid. No one is more or less likely to be promoted or saved if they work beyond what is asked of them. If anything, high performers (which would possibly earn more), would be more likely if anything to be cut in layoffs, bigger salary gone means bigger savings for the company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

A misguided myth ? In whatever planet you are on how do people get promoted ?

Oh dear, that is not what I said :)

but there are ways to make it more likely you will be the one promoted or not the one cut.

People get promoted by doing their work, simple as that. As for your inference that if you work extra hard etc, that you would be less likely to be laid off etc, that is pure fallacy. When it comes to layoffs, it settles on the cost saved, not who works the hardest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I saw this on LinkedIn from an Irish recruitment agency. Interesting results. WFH is hugely important to so many people nowadays, for a variety of reasons. Lack of time/expense for commuting has to be one of the main reasons.

oh dear indeed, your post is there for anyone else to read.

It’s a given that people do their work, not everyone gets promoted, funny that ? If you don’t do your work you tend to get ushered out.

Your inference that being a better performer won’t make you any less likely to be laid off is pure fallacy.

It’s a given that people do their work, not everyone gets promoted, funny that ? If you don’t do your work you tend to get ushered out.

Well colour me surprised. It is just not a given that people do their work, and there are different factors that involve a promotion, people can often refuse them if a company only has a narrow track for them to go in. Take management as an example, a high performing dev might get offered the promotion of dev manager, but refuses because management is not a route they wish to pursue, so it goes to next inline. The high performer didn't get the promotion, but how can that be???

Your inference that being a better performer won’t make you any less likely to be laid off is pure fallacy.

Sounds like you have no exposure or experience with this, kinda shows. Layoffs revolve around money mostly, there are other issues that can be a factor like cultural fit etc, but it primarily revolves around money. If you think that someone, who goes above and beyond, is safer than someone on the same or less money, you really haven't a clue how business work at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The old Elon/Thanos is quite accurate. They'll just cut down the middle on financial basis. Perhaps the finance dept is duplicated or can be outsourced. Click it's gone top to bottom. R&D too expensive click it's gone.

That's said the whole interview for your job, that's classic. Nothing like it to cull numbers.

• Advertisement

The rationale for a company defining their workplace regulations are not important. ie it doesnt matter why a company wants all employees back in the office. Ultimately it means that all employees will be back in the office and WFH is no longer an optiin in that company.

If all employers head in this direction the amount of jobs available that have WFH will be limited and the options to move jobs are further reduced.

the key word being IF. why would they, when its been proven to work.

you are typical of someone who has worked in one speciality and thinks that their reality is all reality. I have both worked in an insolvency practice and implemented a headcount reduction program where we reduced headcount by 20 percent in a business , I know exactly how we identified where headcount was to be cut and the employees salary was way down the list.

Anyway enough of your attempted condescension, I’ll leave you go write some code from home safe in the knowledge that you know it all :D

you are typical of someone who has worked in one speciality and thinks that their reality is all reality. I have both worked in an insolvency practice and implemented a headcount reduction program where we reduced headcount by 20 percent in a business , I know exactly how we identified where headcount was to be cut and the employees salary was way down the list.

Hmmmm, let me see, I have worked across half a dozen industries now at this stage, I've seen commonalities across the lot when it comes to how business are run and how layoffs are conducted. Everyone, and I mean everyone, is expendable in every private sector job, wether that be high performing, senior, principle, all of it. No one is ever really safe or assured of anything. If you think that if you just put in that extra effort, you will be safe, I have a bridge to sell you.

Anyway enough of your attempted condescension, I’ll leave you go write some code from home safe in the knowledge that you know it all :D

Where did I mention that I write code? I think you need a cup of tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Got love how the twitter did it...

"...Some of those who are being asked to return were laid off by mistake. Others were let go before management realized that their work and experience may be necessary.."

https://www.reuters.com/technology/twitter-asks-some-laid-off-workers-come-back-bloomberg-news-2022-11-06/

Amazon are also doing similar, here just bringing everyone back a sweeping decision. Blunt force.

it is becoming apparent why you have so much experience of layoffs in multiple industries at least.

I never said I was the one laid off, did I? 😉

That is also a pretty repulsive thing to say to someone. Nice work there.

Doesn't say much about your argument that you have to revert to insults like that.

Is that the fall back when you can tackle the argument now? Oh dear. Keep working hard buddy 😘

• Advertisement

Yeah that sentence makes no sense, good work 😘

There are obviously organisations out there that don't believe it is better for their business - and this list is being added to weekly. Whether it is or not, again, isn't really relevant as ultimately the employer decides to set the terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭Dr.Tom

And just to tag onto that…..

I have also seen well capable intelligent guys not get promoted because they wouldn't look well representing the Irish site when the US visitors called.

Say it like it is type fellas who wanted the work done and called out those whom werent pulling their weight. Not very PC these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4 thegreenapple

It's funny reading this as I look to leave to civil service to the American tech sector to be appreciated more and have better prospects

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 boardsdotie44

I woudlnt bother, Cyrus seems to get flustered / agressive whenever somebody gets one up on him, or doesnt agree with him.. has he called you passive agressive yet for quoting his words back at him :)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 boardsdotie44

yes, but I am specifically talking about Amazon and other tech companies, most of which will have offices all over the world, and will have employees of single departments spread out over their global offices, where it is impossible for the whole department to work under a single roof or time zone.
    Yes of course it up to the employer to set the terms, I am not disputing that at all, what I am disputing is the reason why Amazon have decided to go back to the office 5 days a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Civil service will be lower paid, but easier work, defined hours, and no risk of being laid off. Fintech private sector is the exact opposite

• Advertisement

Better prospects yes, appreciation? not sure about that, depends on how you define appreciation, if its pay then yes when things are going well you well be appreciated.

Also if pretending to care about diversity, employee welfare and pool tables and consoles are your thing youll enjoy it!

You’re right. When someone tries to switch from the actual topic to attacking a person, shows their arguments don’t hold much weight. I feel sorry for them…almost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Some of ye seem to think that all that matters is to get the job done and targets met.

Unfortunately there are very few piece rate contracts. Almost all of us are contracted to work for your employer for N hours per day. That means if you get your work done quicker from home, you need to be asking for more work to do.

there is no argument Frank, you are spouting rubbish for the most part, but you believe it so i can't really help you out.

Some of ye seem to think that all that matters is to get the job done and targets met.

Yes, that is all that matters, simple as that.

You are naive if you think otherwise, or you are still in this master/slave relationship. Do you think that or staying late is what matters, going the extra mile? People who work more than what is needed are rewarded with more work, not money. Once you do that you are just making the company more money for it's shareholders.

Unfortunately there are very few piece rate contracts. Almost all of us are contracted to work for your employer for N hours per day. That means if you get your work done quicker from home, you need to be asking for more work to do.

Complete horse. If you get your work done quicker, you are doing your job. It is up to the company to give you the appropriate amount of work to do, whether that be at home or in an office.

Of course I am, you aren't able to actually dress any of this "rubbish" and you just reverted to attacks on the person, not the argument. That's a bit weak.

Better prospects yes, appreciation? not sure about that, depends on how you define appreciation, if its pay then yes when things are going well you well be appreciated.

Also if pretending to care about diversity, employee welfare and pool tables and consoles are your thing youll enjoy it!

Sounds like you have a bit of a bee in your bonnet with tech companies over all. Weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

On the one hand I don't see how they get the genie back in the bottle. There's people in companies all over the world that have never know anything other than hybrid working.

On the other hand a lot of people want more hybrid/more wfh days. More leeway etc.

Like a drug, some people aren't satisfied with just a taste. They want the whole bag.

I'm just relaying my experiences, full of virtue signallers.

How would I dress your rubbish? You think you think based on your experience you somehow think that that makes it fact. Am I going to change your mind? Unlikely, doesn't make it right though.

I'm just relaying my experiences, full of virtue signallers.

The penny drops. It is all their fault, not yours.

How would I dress your rubbish? You think you think based on your experience you somehow think that that makes it fact. Am I going to change your mind? Unlikely, doesn't make it right though.

I will try to understand this. I am an expert in my own experiences, we all are for that fact. You are using generalisations to make yours, I am not. All those "virtue signallers" must have left a mark on you.

I am not looking for you to change my mind, just reverting to calling it "rubbish" and having a little dig kinda shows you haven't got any substance at all to back up what you are even trying to say.

Best leave it there, I can see you don't like those big tech companies and all their money, those pesky virtue signallers.

I think you need to feel like you had a little win today in an internet argument frank so tell you what I'll leave you to it, I think you need it more than me.

As for virtue signallers leaving a mark on me? I suppose they did I wouldn't willingly go back into that environment, and luckily for me there's a lot more money outside of it and you don't need to put your preferred pronouns on your email signature so it's a win win.

• Advertisement

I think you need to feel like you had a little win today in an internet argument frank so tell you what I'll leave you to it, I think you need it more than me.

So kind of you.

As for virtue signallers leaving a mark on me? I suppose they did I wouldn't willingly go back into that environment, and luckily for me there's a lot more money outside of it and you don't need to put your preferred pronouns on your email signature so it's a win win.

It seems they did, make sure you point to where they touched you on the chart when they ask. Pronouns in emails…the world has gone mad, hasn't it? Something tells me you wouldn't fit in well in that environment, so for everyone involved, let's hope you steer clear.

Take care now.

Frank Bullitt (He/Him)

Advertisement