Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hezbollah pager explosions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Nugget89

I find all the talk about Israel defending it's borders to be disingenuous while you have illegal Israeli settlements outside of it's borders. While Israel continues to occupy, and they are expanding rapidly, any talk of just trying to defend itself is nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭taratee

What are you on about? What part of Lebanon does Israel occupy? Israel has no issue with the people of Lebanon. They've stated that. The same can't be said for Hezbollah and the people of Israel, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Nugget89

Not currently. But people are using defense as an excuse for Israels behaviour in the area generally. It's disingenuous to say that Israel is defending its borders against Hamas, Palestine, Hezbollah, Lebanon, Iran, or anyone else in the area when it has been occupying the land of other people for decades and is expanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Care to elaborate? You are seeing anti-semitism everywhere. Is not healthy. Is the refuge of delusion

Of course the Israelis are looking to expand. What do you think they have been doing since the late 1940s. They seem to be a fair while securing the golan heights. Stealing more territory is not the best way to ensure security

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭rogber

Seems like the colonialist Israeli state is preparing for ground invasion of Lebanon, according to guardian reporting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

There's antisemitic scutter on this small Irish site, on a regular basis. Who is seeing it 'everywhere?'

It indeed does exist, has existed for thousands of years not the least of which promulgated by the RCC (we had that discussion on the other thread some time ago), and continues to exist.

Saying it doesn't exist - which I'm not sure you're doing btw - is of course delusional.

Of course anti semitism exists, discrimination against people based on race, creed, sexual orientation is common place. What is delusional on threads here are accusations of anti semitism when there is criticism of the IDF and the Israeli government. This is an intentional distraction from the murderous rampage that has been going on for almost a year. And that is delusional

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Its funny because people are still confusing "anti-semitism" with anti Israel and anti-IDF. They arent the same.

Theres a huge difference and its getting tiring listening to the Israel supporters on this thread calling anyone that questions their unending and unwavering support for the 3rd terrorist faction in the area "anti semites"

Im not anti jewish but am I am 100% anti Israel government and 100% anti IDF.

I despise their disproportionate and indiscriminate bombing of civilians. I also despise Hamas and Hezbollah lobbing missiles into Israel.

And Id ask the Israeli supporters here - how many civilian deaths is enough "retribution" in their eyes?

How many civilian deaths will the Israeli government be happy with to call it a day and agree to a ceasefire?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

And you cant admit that there is an actual reason why the IDF have to attack Hamas and Hezbollah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭mulbot

I appreciate your honesty in this regard.

We agree at least that Israel does have the right to protect its borders and citizens.

We agree that Iran should stop funding and arming these terrorist organisations whose guns are aimed at Israel.

Israel is pushed into a corner here.
    If they do nothing and let Hamas and Hezbollah away with attacking them, and killing their people, then the people will vote out the politicians and vote in people like Bibi to act accordingly.

If and when they do act, and they can be quite hard in their actions, then the eyes of the world are quickly on them, and they are derided from pillar to post.

I made the point a few times that Israel being nicer to Hamas and Hezbollah is not going to change a thing.

If Israel stopped all its military campaigns today, what would change in the medium turn?

Nothing.

Hamas would grow again, Hezbelloah are still around, and Iran funds and back both, and they will attack, lob rockets and missiles into Israel, until Israel grows tired of it and attacks them again.

Rinse Repeat.

Take Iran off the table, then you might have a chance of peace. Then you might be able to find some ground for a future Palestinian state. But you will never get that opportunity if Iran is funnelling arms to proxies on Israel's borders.

The world should be looking at the root cause of this, and look at Iran first and foremost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭weisses

That is incorrect .... I would suggest you go over what was delivered from Germany and when .... then come back here and tell me if you still think every third bomb comes from Germany

I post a link below to help you out

https://www.dw.com/en/war-in-gaza-germany-supplies-30-of-israels-arms-imports/a-69717540#amp_ct=1727284437580&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=17272843275774&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dw.com%2Fen%2Fwar-in-gaza-germany-supplies-30-of-israels-arms-imports%2Fa-69717540

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭2Greyfoxes

A certain faith, which has a long history of violence, hatred, misogyny, homophobia, and intolerance.

While the state of Israel is far from blameless, I'd rather live in it than any of the other countries in that area... because I value democracy, and equality.

Clever word play may win debates, but it doesn't make it true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Yes. Because their first response to every situation is to kill and maim, men, women and children. Whether they are attacked or not. Before October 7th and after.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭dmcdona

Defence, yes. That is allowed for in law.

Retribution, no. And no-one is compelling them to do so other than themselves.

"Their very survival is at stake"

Is it?

Ground War appears inevitable.

https://twitter.com/phildstewart/status/1838956856338694358

Whether they are attacked or not.

Ah, so there are times they invade when not attack, for the craic like.

Care to give us times when this happened?

You will appreciate the difficulty in taking opinion polls in Gaza when foreign media has been forbidden from entering freely and journalists have been consistently targeted for killing by the Israeli Offensive Forces. 116 journalists killed so far. 75% of all journalists killed worldwide in 2023 by just one army. You guessed it, the most moral Israeli army.

You are spewing disinformation by claiming Hamas’s “main aim is to kill Jews in Israel and the world over”. It may have impressed on a second year provincial debating circuit circa 1985 but people can see through your nonsense at the touch of a button thanks to the internet.
    Also the Hamas are literally Nazis is a lazy, inaccurate trope which should be beneath you.

Does it really surprise you that people in the West Bank, where 750 people have been killed by Israel since October, are now supporting Hamas?

Look at your own history. When pogroms were being conducted against the catholic communities in Belfast it wasn’t to the politically ideological, passive republicans that they turned for protection, it was to the people with guns. That’s why the officials became irrelevant.
    The same thing happens everywhere people are brutalised. They react, eventually with support for violent opposition.

The Six Days War started by the Israeli assassination of Egyptian military leaders and a pre emptive attack by Israel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They never have started a war and always decide to secure a more defensible future position when they win a war.

That's just being sensible.

Personally I think the mountain ridges above the Litani river in a near straight line to Golan should be the northern reach.

They hit forces that were lining up to invade.

For 99% of Arabs the place you will be immeasurably better off in is Israel.

You claim Israel never started a war? This is not true.

And 99% of your statistics are completely made up.

Today the IDF took out more senior Hez figures and especially targeted intelligence assets, something they previously didn't and consider an escalation.. They also stated that a ground offensive is now on the cards.

They once again stated that Hezbollah retreating behind litani river, as agreed previously will be the game changer.

The Hezbollah and Iranian proxies response was no peace. Just more missiles.

Hezbollah Keep driving past the office ramps.

Israel needs to take the gloves off and end them and if need be cripple Iran as well. Iran without any powerplants will give the Mullahs a lot to consider at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

/sigh/

Someone else who doesn't have a clue about Northern Ireland and OUR history. Clearly not yours or you'd know what I'm about to tell you already:

Never heard what happened when Bombay Street was burned and the catholics of Belfast were being forcibly displaced? The IRA were exactly ZERO use the one time when they could actually have been useful.

The 1969 Northern Ireland riots displaced 1,800 families from their homes. It was a humiliation for the IRA and made evident that they could not protect their people. The slogan 'IRA: I Ran Away' was painted on walls all over Belfast. 

That's because a paramilitary group does not actually work for the people. It works for its own aims. If that coincides with the people's wants and needs, then fine and dandy - but that's not what they're about at all, and the minute the two no longer coincide, they'll be all for their own interests. Every single time.

Because they're not a democracy.

In case you don't believe that, the wiki entry for Joe Cahill mentions it, but it's common knowledge. Well, it is in Northern Ireland nationalist circles anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Cahill#:~:text=The%201969%20Northern%20Ireland%20riots%20displaced)

And more generally, I'd really be interested in a single improvement that the IRA achieved for the people of Northern Ireland. Just one please. Because the truth is that the achievements, one man one vote etc, were achieved through peaceful protests and negotiations, and all the IRA ever did was jump on the bandwagon and exploit that.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Thanks, perhaps you would like to teach my grandmother to suck eggs? 🙄

Bombay Street was burned in August. The IRA that ran away were the pre split “Official IRA”.
    The provisionals were formed in December, which is exactly my point. Cahill was one of the founders of the provisionals.

You really are in no position to pretend to be giving condescending history lectures.

That happens to be completely illegal. There is no legal claim to the spoils of war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

If Lebanese people affected by this conflict arrive in Ireland seeeking refugee as they most likely will would you be happy to accept them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

No need for that now (scare quotes).

I hadn't recalled the disabled aspect but I think its reasonably well verified (as much as anything reported on in war can be I suppose) that IDF are (or were, could have been clamped down on after Haaretz dared to publish, shameless fifth columists and traitors that they are!) pressing unfortunate prisoners ahead of units into unsafe buildings and tunnels, perhaps to save the expense of using a drone, or the lives of dogs etc. An expendable "human" is much more useful that either too.

No arguments in about anything above. And yes, Israel can't just sit back. It has a duty to protect its citizens.

The danger for Israel is losing the "popular vote". It was notable that just after Oct 7th, Israel had the popular vote. But they lost it when the carnage in Gaza was beamed out. Hence all the protests.

It's a very tricky situation for Israel - the political situation is toxic. Ben Gvir and Smotrich along with Netanyahu have done more damage to the Israeli cause than imaginable.

The IDF have also caused massive ructions. There are always loose cannons in the military - but if Israel could have shown clear, immediate and hard punishment of unacceptable behaviour, there would have been a chance they could use the "most moral army" moniker without skepticism and derision.

The ICJ case will be crucial. If Israel are found guilty/culpable of genocide, it'll be a long time before the world trusts them.

If Israel wanted to win back the popular vote, they've a lot of work to do. I hope they start on that body of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Can we just drop the pretence that Israel is somehow acting as an independent sovereign state. It is a proxy American state and pretty much all its actions are carried out with the full support ( despite the mild rebukes from the Whitehouse) of the USA. Certainly pretty much all the munitions used to slaughter civilians are provided by the "land of the free and home of the brave " !

Just another reason that Israel have to destroy Hamas and also straighten out Tehran and America should help in that if need be.

If Iran had been severely chastised at some stage in the last decade for its actions. Then I suspect that Oct 7th would never have happened. Russia would have looked at what happened to Iran and decided not to invade Ukraine.

What fun it will be for Europe if the Houthis have advanced anti ship missiles.

While few of the pro Palestinian or pro Hezbollah people will condemn Russia for anything, they'll change their tune when it hits their pocket and daily lives.

Speaking of bombing ships, the last airman who flew against the Pacific fleet at Pearl Harbour died at 106 this week.

You may say this is off topic but in a thread where people veer off to talking about the war in the 6 counties to Roman conquest of Israel, it isn't that bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭combat14

"US intelligence officials have briefed Donald Trump about a suspected Iranian plot to kill him, his campaign has said"

the iranians will be hoping trump doesn't get back into power so as he is definitely not the forgiving kind

looks like israel have no choice but to enter lebanon now despite pager effort last week given that thousands of its citizens have been forced from their homes by the hezbollah terrorists

It's the 2nd Iranian plot to kill him.

They'll certainly want to stick to a more compliant option.

We were talking about the troubles, and your claim was that people in Northern Ireland turned to the "men with guns" for protection. Now you're trying to bring in a completely different point, about 1916.

Are you saying the Provisional IRA were democratically elected to fix the civil rights issues? Or even that they effectively saved a single nationalist civilian from being attacked by loyalists or by the army/RUC/UDR?

Because if you did actually know anything about Northern Ireland history (and this all started because you tried to give another poster a lesson about knowing "our history" remember - so don't complain when you get the same treatment back because you've been spouting rubbish about Northern Ireland history) you'd know the IRA did not save a single civilian, and nor did they particularly want to. Their aims were different.

And THAT'S what I mean by saying they aren't democratic. I don't give a sh1te about their internal organisation - they can decide every military action by a secret vote if they want, they're still not democratic, because they decide what they will do, not the people.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Were the IRA in 1919 a paramilitary organisation? Did they fight for democracy?

You are the expert in Irish history it seems.

• Advertisement

LOL You were lecturing the other poster about Northern Ireland history. You made a false claim about northern nationalists turning to the men with guns for protection. Don't try to wriggle out of that!

(I've never claimed to be an expert in Irish history - it's just that I'm old enough to remember the start of the troubles, just about. I grew up there. So of course I'm interested in that. Still not an expert - but clearly I know more about the troubles than you! You know the fantasy version. You still haven't managed to come up with a single civilian life saved by PIRA actions I take it?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Many think that if Hamas did that Bibi would most certainly bomb them even more as he'd have no fear of killing Israelis and not fear the backlash from the relatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So if IDF members are killed then the same rule applies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I'd say what's concerning the IDF more is the number of pagers that also exploded in various parts of Israel last week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

if israel don't have a problem with the people of lebanon then their education minister obviously didn't get the memo.

well yes obviously hesbala will have a problem with israel given israel keep invading their country periodically.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement

not yet, but to have such settlements in southern lebanon is their plan.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Did you even read the Wikipedia quote you posted. Nationalists were angry not that paramilitaries were using violence but because they weren’t using sufficient violence to protect them. The Official IRA were going down a Marxist route, abandoning sectarianism in favour of uniting working class Catholics and Protestants which had more in common with each other than with the elites of both communities.

You are creating a stewman instead of supporting the point that you made. That paramilitaries have never achieved anything because they can’t be democratic. Clearly nonsense no matter when or where you were born. Then you strawman a claim I never made about the PIRA saving civilian lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Do you know what, you say it with such conviction that I am starting to think that you actually believe all that nonsense yourself.

Going on about "norman plantation", which directly irrelevant to the thread subject actually gives an insight into your ability to fashion a nonsense misunderstanding into an argument which you repeat with gusto. a

Perhaps you should do some research into your own family history. If you find any ancestor with a "Norman" name, why not then take that as a right to go over a murder a few French families and seize their land and villas. Get yourself a nice vineyard for retirement. Maybe you'll find an viking name as well. You can repeat the trick to get some Norwegian property for holidays.

that's funny because everything shows they start every war.
    then when they win thanks to the americans because they can't do it themselves, they steal more land, have a less defensible position and decrease their security.

even in it's current state, hesbala will win this and there will be no israely occupation of the northern ridges.

israel are sending their reservists first for christ sake, they will be absolutely slaughtered, it will be an absolute blood bath most likely.

this is not a sane state, this is a religious fundamentalist state who have no care for it's own either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Did you know that, since October 7th, and before the recent Israeli escalation towards the population of Lebanon, the ratio of rocket attacks by Israel:Hezbollah was about 5:1. The ratio of deaths (again before the recent escalations) due to those attacks was about 30:1.

For every rocket attack against Israel, 5 were made against Lebanon. For every Israeli killed in such an attack, about 30 Lebanese died. And again, this does not include the recent escalation.

Verified facts. But you wouldn't think it due to the adeptness of the zionists for propaganda, hasbara, and profiting off the perpetual victim card.

• Advertisement
Advertisement