Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

That looks about right

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Wasn't too far off but actually a few more youngsters got game time than I expected which is nice considering they allowed people like Tielemans, Morgan & Digne (along with the expected CBs & watkins etc) to get a full rest.

Good to see Buendia get a goal and Duran to keep his run of scoring going too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

Some nice touches shown by the likes of Borland and Broggio when they came on. Kadan Young did well as did Nedelkjovic. Swinkels looked physically ready but misjudged a few things. Bogarde mixed some very good moments with a few very bad ones. It does though show up our depth a little bit if we had a spate of injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Palace in 4th round at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Happy enough with that. Mainly the 'at home' bit.

Being if we honest, if we look at the fixture list up until Christmas, it will unquestionably be a full 2nd 11 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

It will be a great chance to get plenty of minutes into Kamara and Mings if they are not getting many chances in the other games.

Yep. And I'm fine with that. We play the second string. If we get through, great. If we dont, thats ok. We have a strong squad, but we cant realistically compete for 4 trophies.

I think when you look at the team from Tuesday, it’s not as strong as you would want. Hopefully Mings, Buendia and Kamara can all find their old level at some stage this season and it will feel a lot stronger.

• Advertisement

No surprises in the lineup. Bailey in for McGinn. Hoping for a more solid game from Carlos.

Every game seems important theses days. Win today and we end the weekend joint top, 4pts ahead of 5th aafter only 6 games. We are becoming a team who win the games (like today) that you expect them to. Sounds simple but it's those consistant teams who get European football year in year out.

Hoping for a big game from Bailey today. He hasn't had the same kind of standout performances he did last term yet and obviously has the ability to stretch a side and offer us an attacking outlet on both flanks (I felt like almost everything was going down the left with McGinn ont the right at times).

ahh lads we don't have to come from behind to win a game…

Ffs. Terrible stuff. At least we got it out of the way early. Plenty of time to come back

poor from onano, worse from konsa and martinez terrible, these lads are going to sit in now and be hard break down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

Sweet jesus. Free aginst Onana for nothing, leads to soft goal and then Watkins nearly gets jersey taken off him but no peno???

• Advertisement

At least we were not waiting too long to draw level this time. Lovely goal from Rodgers.

1 - 1.

We're not the only yones that can't defend

Carlos is really not at the races today.

Why not try Ned at RB, and move Konsa back into centre

Well taken Watkins but that was surprisingly easy

Ooooh niceby Ollie!

Great cross by Bailey, easy enough header, perfectly controlled by Ollie

• Advertisement

Delicious by Bailey!

Great save martinez

Lucky not to be level. Martinez did well again (think he is p!ssed at himself for not getting a clean sheet once more this week).

Just trying to figure things out.

I feel Portman Road is such a small, tight pitch, and space is at such a premium that pacey players like Bailey and Ramsey aren't able to do much, as they are closed down or running into traffic so quickly. Same with Onana, he looks more like a ground covering defensive mid, designed to close down runners through the middle.

Instead on this pitch it's all about strength, close control, battling qualities. Especially with ref letting things go. Ollie is having a lot of joy battling away, and Rogers at times. Tielemans also getting time and space to try unlock them. This is the sort of game that prime Buendia would relish, nipping in and around tight spaces. And of course Duran, oh you want to crowd the box and have an organised defence allow me to shoot from 30 yards or run helter skelter straight through you!

This is the most involved in things I've seen Watkins this season. Even when he scored in recent games he has not felt as on it as in this game. Would not be surprised to see Barkley on for Onana again later in this match for the reasons Patser outlined above.

Yeah, but Barkley and Tielemans, play a near identical role - they sit deep and try to pick out passes. I could just picture the 2 of them sitting side by side passing it 40 times between each other before just punting it into box. 1 of them doing that is enough.

Buendia though would offer the pass into feet at edge of box, and ability to turn on the spot and thread it through

Get Bailey off….. and Ramsey. Get Duran and Buendia on.

We're controlling midfield but ball is not going forward, and those 2 are offering little in terms of width or holding onto the ball

Yeah time for the power of the bench now.

And there, there is prime example.

Rogers gets ball, close control takes him by a player, draws 4 others to him but allows Konsa and Tielemans time to get forward, we keep the ball, start passing it side to side to stretch them. Ball comes to Bailey, falls over it and off they go.

And as I rant Philogene warming up for Bailey

Edit - and Duran in for Rogers - much more straightforward, in his form Duran has to be played at some time

• Advertisement

I don't want tio pile on him but I have to blame Carlos there. He will have the excuse that Konsa is out of position but that was poor defending

Crap, crap, crap….

Konsa commited forward, Carlos doesn't cover, then makes disasterous late offside movement and is too slow getting back…

2-2

Diego Carlos is such a poor footballer, konsa not a RB, this issue wasn't addressed and that's on emery, Ramsey offering little aswell.

That is EXACTLY why I hate Konsa at RB. He's poor going forward and loses the ball. Then is out of position with out worst defender left to cover.

Villa had dropped off, there is still a good bit of time and maybe now that we aare chasing the 3pts the lads will step up again… Duran time maybe?

Torres showing Carlos how to defend, but still we're barely hanging on and offering little up front

I'm still holding out for the Duran 92nd minute overhead winner

Some amount of time wasted there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Carlos rinsed again for that equaliser, nearly fell on his arse. I can’t understand how he is starting games.

Atwell a joke. Diego Carlos an even bigger one.

Poor second half. It shows when you are subbing Ollie off after Ipswich have pulled level. First half he was doing great and very involved, second half nothing.

Carlos deservedly being blamed again. We are still in the top 5 and fair play to Ipswich but it feels like 2 pts dropped

In a lot of ways, lucky to even get that 1 point. So many under par performances. Ollie anonymous 2nd half, Ramsey for nearly all the match, subs made little difference in the end (Barkley wasn't bad), even Emery's decisions were poor.

Maybe it is a case of 1 eye on Bayern

Villa have done most things well in the transfer market, so it’s hard to be overly critical, but 18 on Philogene and subsequently being unable to fill that RB/RCB hole because of lack of funds seems a strange one.

He still feels a few years off ready for this level.

Yeah I am not quite seeing it with Philogene. I know we had the first option and they didn't want to miss out perhaps but he has not impressed and I only want to see him coming on if it is when we are comfortably ahead as I am not expecting him to make a difference.

Everyone can see we need a RB / someone to allow Konsa to get back to CB thoough.

Can't say today's performance fills me with confidence for Bayern even though I've been pretty optimistic after every game before today but perhaps Villa will function better in the underdog role.

• Advertisement

I think criticism of him today if he was still an academy product would be harsh. But 18 million has just been spent on him in a window where funds ran out with holes to be filled, so it’s very disappointing that he looks so out of place when he plays.

Bruno sent off for United. Wont be playing us next week!

He is their only player I fear too, but we all are old enough to know how this game always ends

Happy they are missing him but would prefer if they didn't take this pasting before playing us. They will have to have a response against Villa now or Ten Hag should be under ridiculous pressure or gone.

Yon a positive note I think buendia did well when he came on, he has a nice final ball,.more effective in the middle for me but Rodgers has that for now, won't be as efficient on the right

• Advertisement
Advertisement