Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hezbollah pager explosions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

in 1967? no they didn't.

they were going to invade first, other countries got wind and mobilised forces to secure their borders and while they were doing so israel hit.

israel made false flag claims to blackmail america to help them and provide weaponry.

even the israely generals involved in that and the 1973 war admitted that israel's claims were bogus, apparently on tape.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Seems very strange. I remember when I started primary school, the teacher telling us that the best way to make friends with someone was to massacre and maim their family and friends, as well as destroy their livelihoods.

Who'd have thought it might be the opposite in reality???

the IDF have done nothing different to what they did in 2006.
    same type of targets, commanders leaders assets and so on, they still lost in 2006 even though they took the gloves off then.
    if israel tries to launch a full scale attack on iran they will lose, iran will put up with the odd scientist or diplomat being killed because well it's annoying for them but it's not the be all and end all but a full scale attack and the gloves will be off.
    power plants can easily be rebuilt in time and attacking power plants is a war crime anyway, war crimes being what israel always engages in being a terrorist state.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

not to mention that the PIRA ended the sectarian apartheid orange state, which absolutely would not have ended had they not existed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Absolutely not true. The civil rights movement ended the sectarian aspect, and all the IRA did was slow that down by causing the British to bring in new limits on our civil rights such as internment without trial. If the PIRA had not existed, there might well have been a peaceful reunification like East and West Germany years ago.

(Maybe you can tell us about a single incident where the IRA saved a civilian from British or loyalist violence? That other poster hasn't been able to.)

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭weisses

Ad the fact the illegal invasion of Iraq by the US led to the rise of ISIS.... All the attacks and deaths in Europe by ISIS are a direct result of the US ( our ally) **** stirring in the Middle East.

israel won't be destroying or straightening anyone, hamas and hesbala ETC will continue to exist just like they have always done.
    the only way october 7th wouldn't have happened is if israel didn't throw open the borders.
    russia invaded ukrain in 2014, they were always going to likely invade it whatever happened to iran.
    plenty of us are pro-palestinian state and condemn russia's invasion of ukrain.
    even if america were to help israel, there is little they can do to iran to have any real effect long term, iraq was a quagmire, afghanistan was a complete failure, iran only lost to iraq during the iran iraq war because america helped iraq and that turned out to be a **** show.

ultimately, america's foreign policy is backfiring again and it will be the rest of us who pay in some form as per.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

(Maybe you can tell us about a single incident where the IRA saved a civilian from British or loyalist violence? That other poster hasn't been able to.)

Well you could look at it in the same way Israel look at their so called "pre-emptive" defence as in shoot first to defend themselves.

The IRA killed 700 British soldiers as well as another 150 or so UDA/UVF members. Whos to say one of those 850 militants could have shot and killed a catholic or two - So the IRA also used the tactic of "pre-emptive" defence saving Nationalists lives in the process.

Same thing the Israelis are doing. Saving their civilians by taking out Hamas / Hezbollah before they get a chance to kill a civilian.

But while were on the subject the IRA (Hamas / Hezbollah) are in similar positions as in all three organisations are / were defending their territories against a much more heavily armed nation. Its a well know fact that Netanyahu wants the state of Israel to expand to include the Palestinian territories and Lebanon. Its also a well know fact that the British empire never wanted to give up the North.

But you also have to remember that the IRA were never defeated militarily.

The same could be said about the current conflict in Israel - Hamas and Hezbollah will never be defeated no matter what Israel throws at them (internment??, air strikes etc)

It was a process of peace that brought about change in the North.

Its gone on long enough and the only way to achieve a lasting peace is probably in a similar fashion to what happened in the North. Disarmament from Hamas / Hezbollah , a stop to the indiscriminate bombing from the Israeli side and maybe a withdrawing to recognised borders and then borders possibly redrawn to a fairer distribution of land for both sides of the conflict.

But someone has to be the bigger person and start that process - at the minute it looks like neither side is willing to even discuss a peace plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

You have one particular interpretation of the history of northern Ireland.
    The civil rights movement ended the sectarian aspect? What does this even mean. Sectarianism and the loyalist workers strike collapsed the Northern Ireland government.
    IRA violence, like all violence is abhorrent but like it or not the civil rights movement was met with state violence. Bloody Sunday started as a civil rights March and ended with 14 unarmed civilians murdered by the British Army. When peaceful protesters are shot dead, be it in Ireland or Palestine, it is inevitable that they will eventually fight back.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Kiteview

Yes, their survival is at stake.

Hamas' charter - which is available online - is both deeply anti-semitic and also misogynistic. In it, they explicitly reject both the idea of any form of two-state solution and also peace talks - which they describe as a "trap", since they would "legitimise" the existence of Israel. Their goal isn't something "noble" like the formation of a Palestinian state, it is the complete destruction of Israel and the extermination of its citizens.

As Hamas' mass murder and extreme sexual violence campaign of Oct 7th showed, Hamas are perfectly willing to kill or torture anyone who falls into their path, be they children, the Bedouin (ie Arab Muslim) villagers they either killed or kidnapped, the Thai guest workers they kidnapped or even visiting tourists.

The continuing conflict in Gaza is a direct consequence of that day and also of Hamas' continuing refusal to release the hostages (despite being offered multiple deals where they'd get almost thirty Palestinian prisoners for every one hostage released) - and, lest it be forgotten, the direct testimony of multiple hostages that have been released or freed by the military all speak of physical and/or sexual abuse and/or torture.

• Advertisement

it's absolutely true the PIRA ended the sectarian state.
    the civil rights movement were shot and beaten off the streets, they were essentially destroyed.
    the british were always going to bring in new limits on your freedoms once protests started against the sectarian apartheid state because that is what the british empire did because they would not have wanted the civil rights movement to be a success hence why there were attacks on them including bloody sunday.
    there wouldn't have been a reunification because britain wanted northern ireland for military purposes, to keep a military presence on the island of ireland.
    they would never have allowed any reunification unless the armed struggle was continuing passed 2003 for which they would not have the resources for iraq afghanistan and northern ireland and by that stage a military presence on the island of ireland would be redundant due to military modernisation.
    the PIRA saved countless civilian lives by preventing the loyalist killings from being nothing more then tit for tat and such tit for tat killings of civilians were unjustifiable.
    however without the PIRA the loyalists would have committed ethnic cleansing at best and a full on genocide at worst.

and remember that america originally supported funded and trained isis in syria as they were fighting against assad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Normally one would urge people to pursue entirely peaceful means to achieve statehood, but the Palestinians are coming up against a far right, racist government (supported by far right racists globally) who regard them as second class citizens. It's hardly a surprise some of them are going the violent route, even when violence is nearly always counter-productive and wrong.

And Israel was Iran’s biggest supporter in the Iran Iraq war.

You say the Hamas Charter is online and you seem to be familiar with it.
    Could you quote the paragraph where it states their goal is the complete extermination of the citizens of Israel?

incorrect, israel's survival is not and never was under threat, they are and never were under any existential threat.
    the current conflict is simply an extention of the conflict that has been going on since israel began it's ethnic cleansing/genocide campaign after it's foundation, it is not about the currently held israely hostages by hamas which the israely government and IDF have proven they don't care about.
    the deals over this current aspect of the conflict fell through due to israel.

the palestinian hostages held by israel should be released anyway as they are illegally being held.

the israely hostages held by hamas should be released as they are being illegally held.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

This is also the reason why Irish people have such an affinity for supporting Palestine and Lebanon - we see our past history in their struggle against a superior armed aggressor and colonizer - and yes Israel is also an aggressor and colonizer in this current conflict. The fact that they steal land and put their own population on it doesnt sit well with the Irish considering our history with being colonized and our land etc taken.

Irish people see the Israelis as the "Brits" of the middle east - throwing their weight around just because they have bigger guns.

We`ve been there and have the t-shirt so to speak so of course we`re going to support the Palestinians and Lebanese - thats not necessarily to say we support Hamas / Hezbollah though - maybe we dont see them as the terrorists as they are portrayed - more that they are fighting to keep their land and not let it be invaded and colonized.

You might want to familiarise yourself with the definition of anti-semitism which was devised by the International Holocaust Remembrance Association - a definition that has been adapted into the laws of most western European countries, but crucially not Ireland.

https://holocaustremembrance.com/resources/working-definition-antisemitism

One of the examples of antisemitism that they give is:

"Applying double standards by requiring of it (ie Israel) a behavior not expected or demanded of any other democratic nation".

So, if our government and/or politicians and/or many citizens had been equally as vociferous in condemning the US and UK for their post-9/11 wars, had called for the expulsion of their ambassadors, had called for us to boycott, divest & sanction their universities and businesses, and staged repeated mass protests on the streets of Dublin as they have done in each of those cases for Israel, then, no, it would not be anti-semitism to criticise Israel. As that is not the case, then double standards are clearly in operation here and such behaviour is blatantly anti-semitic.

And, lest anyone say "Ah but those wars were different", the civilian death toll - both directly and indirectly - in those wars were many multiples of the current death toll in the Middle East (over 4.5 million according to the Washington Post which is hardly an anti-American publication).

Go read it yourself. You might learn something rather than just trotting out false claims about the wars in the Middle East. Anyone who tries to pretend that Hamas would have voluntarily stopped their campaign mass murder and extreme sexual violence in Israel had they not be forced back by military force on Oct 7th is either delusional or a propagandist.

• Advertisement

The continuing conflict in Gaza is a direct consequence of that day and also of Hamas' continuing refusal to release the hostages (despite being offered multiple deals where they'd get almost thirty Palestinian prisoners for every one hostage released) - and, lest it be forgotten, the direct testimony of multiple hostages that have been released or freed by the military all speak of physical and/or sexual abuse and/or torture.

So if Israel is to be held with utmost esteem etc- why are soldiers in the IDF raping prisoners in their jails - prisoners by the way who have been held for years without trial.

Pot calling the kettle black!!!

Go read Hamas' charter. It speaks for itself.

Your claims are equally delusional. Hamas is the party that has refused repeated offers of a deal - a strategy which is completely consistent with their charter.

So, if our government and/or politicians and/or many citizens had been equally as vociferous in condemning the US and UK for their post-9/11 wars, had called for the expulsion of their ambassadors, had called for us to boycott, divest & sanction their universities and businesses, and staged repeated mass protests on the streets of Dublin as they have done in each of those cases for Israel, then, no, it would not be anti-semitism to criticise Israel. As that is not the case, then double standards are clearly in operation here and such behaviour is blatantly anti-semitic.

There were plenty of anti gulf war protests in Dublin at the time - some much , much bigger than the ones over this conflict.

In 2003 the biggest one had over 100,000 protesters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Similar in the UK. Millions marched in Britain before the invasion of Iraq (it was our old friends, the right wing press, who were cheerleading for it, despite Blair being a Labour PM…..on the wrong side of history as always).

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Will0483

This whole notion of International law sounds very impressive but has no bearing in reality really. The ICC in The Hague has only convicted 5 people (all from sub-saharan Africa) since it's inception.

Any nation state, especially one backed by most western powers has absolutely nothing to worry about from any International body. Israel can and will do exactly what it wants. The only limit to it's actions is if the US starts to get cold feet.

They should really wait to see if Trump gets in as then they can really act with complete impunity. Harris would have to appease her own supporters who tend to be more pro-Palestine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Will0483

The US lost around 60,000 soldiers in Vietnam but killed over 2,000,000 Vietcong which is an even higher ratio. A stronger power needs to show a weaker one that the costs of aggression will be too high to either start or prolong a conflict.

Israel has a smaller population by far than their enemies so need to lash out much,much more aggressively to show their enemies the cost of any attack. It's really all that the more insane of the Terrorist leadership understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

No. Just no.

https://www.google.com/search?q=is+turkey+a+dictatorship&oq=is+turkey+a+dictatorship&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOdIBCDczODFqMGo3qAIAsAIA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The last election went to a run off. The local elections this year saw a huge drop on support for him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_Turkish_local_elections

He's not a dictator. Dictators don't go to run offs. Dictators political parties don't lose elections

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

In the months prior to the outbreak of the Six-Day War in June 1967, tensions again became dangerously heightened: Israel reiterated its post-1956 position that another Egyptian closure of the Straits of Tiran to Israeli shipping would be a definite 

casus belli

. In May 1967, Egyptian president Gamal Abdel Nasser announced that the Straits of Tiran would again be closed to Israeli vessels. He subsequently mobilized the Egyptian military into defensive lines along the border with Israel

[36]

and ordered the immediate withdrawal of all UNEF personnel.

[37][29]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-Day_War#Background

Yea, they invaded the Sinai for the 'craic' of it.

Seeing as you point of view has been showing to be false, any other examples ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

where is this plan?

seriously there is enough to discuss without inventing 💩 and conspiracies

You are spewing disinformation by claiming Hamas’s “main aim is to kill Jews in Israel and the world over”. It may have impressed on a second year provincial debating circuit circa 1985 but people can see through your nonsense at the touch of a button thanks to the internet.

Also the Hamas are literally Nazis is a lazy, inaccurate trope which should be beneath you.

Yea, Hamas main aim is to combat climate change, build bike lanes, invest in public transport and push more equality.

The primary goal of Hamas is the destruction of the Israeli state. How do we know this? Because they say it themselves!

How people give them a free pass, and tell us, "Ah, they aren't that bad, just misunderstood"

I'll repeat, they are a reactionary, extremist, right-wing fascist group who want to murder and kill everyone in Israel. These are not nice guys, Israel should hunt them all down and kill them.

We the West did similar with the Nazi's and its something we laud today.

Look at your own history. When pogroms were being conducted against the catholic communities in Belfast it wasn’t to the politically ideological, passive republicans that they turned for protection, it was to the people with guns. That’s why the officials became irrelevant.

The same thing happens everywhere people are brutalised. They react, eventually with support for violent opposition.

SF/IRA never had majority support among nationalists in the North when the conflict was ongoing. NEVER!

We have peace now.

Do you support reactionary groups like the New IRA or the Real IRA, those who planted bombs in Omagh or who murdered Lyre McKee? Are these men you support? Should these men be negotiated with? Because Hamas and these men have things in common in their dogmatic positions.

• Advertisement

Are you saying that SF/PIRA were a democratic group, fighting for 'democracy'?

When did they have this mandate, and who gave it to them, via said democratic means?

I must have missed that 'vote' in the history books….

You are talking utter shite.

Nowhere, as you claim does Hamas state that their main aim is to “kill all the Jews in Israel and around the world”. It’s just your sick fantasy.

While few of the pro Palestinian or pro Hezbollah people will condemn Russia for anything, they'll change their tune when it hits their pocket and daily lives.

When inflation jumps up to 2 figures again, maybe it might dawn on people.

It's no doubt that the PR war has gone against Israel, but at this stage, I don't think they care. They think of this war(s) as an existential threat and will act accordingly

As I said, Israel was pushed into a corner. Oct 7th happened, what were they supposed to do? Buy Hamas off, with some presents? Be nicer to them? Laughable.

I'm not sure what Israel could have done all that differently in the main.

Perhaps they could have been more careful in their air war against Hamas, but would it have changed anything really?

If say, 10,000 were dead instead of 40,000 but you have an extra 5,000 Hamas operatives still alive, from an Israeli point of view, which is better. They would have been protests and bad PR regardless.

Iran is really the issue here, and until they stop funding their proxies, this issue will role on and on… and let not pretend that the Iranian regime really care about the average Palestinian. Sure, they will more than happily murder and kill their own people to keep their grip on power..

Its all rather depressing.

https://avalon.law.yale.edu/20th_century/hamas.asp

It calls on Muslims to find Jews and kill them.

Its quite explicit in this regard, but hey you might think defending these guys is a good look. It isnt.

Additional Reading.

https://www.adl.org/resources/blog/hamas-its-own-words

Statements by Hamas officials make clear the terrorist organization’s commitment to destroying Israel and killing Jews and Israelis around the world. 

Good luck defending that.

A pre-emtive strike is just that.

Israel attacked first and won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭ElitesTeam

No, Bloody Sunday was a march against internment, which was brought in as a result of IRA violence. If the IRA had not jumped on the opportunity handed to them by the violent response to the civil rights movement, and subverted that to push their military campaign instead of civil rights, there would have been no Bloody Sunday nor much of the rest that followed.

This is too far off topic really, but there is such a rewriting of a fantasy version of the troubles here that I can understand why, after being absolutely hated and despised - excessively so IMO - when I lived in Dublin, Sinn Fein suddenly started doing so well in the polls at one stage.

All I can do is tell people to read the timesline of the troubles. The IRA did nothing positive for the ordinary people of Northern Ireland except agree to stop fighting.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭crusd

The facts are Hamas were fringe within Palestine until Netanyahu started facilitating the funnelling of Qatari money to Hamas in order to undermine Fatah who were starting to seem like a legitimate government of a putative Palestinian state

I never claimed SF/IRA were democratic

I was responding to a poster who claimed paramilitary groups never achieve anything and only act in their own interests and can’t be democratic.
    Was the 1919 IRA a paramilitary group? Were they fighting for something democratic? Did they achieve anything?

• Advertisement

If there hadn’t been a Civil Rights March the paratroopers wouldn’t have had to shoot any unarmed civilians. Great logic there volchitsa.

Facts don’t care about your feelings.
    Hamas do not have, as their number 1 priority, as was claimed here, the killing of all Jews in Israel and around the world.

The IRA killed 700 British soldiers as well as another 150 or so UDA/UVF members. Whos to say one of those 850 militants could have shot and killed a catholic or two - So the IRA also used the tactic of "pre-emptive" defence saving Nationalists lives in the process.

No they didn't. I was a teenager during various series of tit-for-tat killings: the IRA would attack a police officer or UDR man, and in return the loyalists would murder a catholic civilian. We weren't allowed out of our area until someone else was killed, as that then meant we were "safe" until the next time - so how TF was that the IRA saving civilians? Do you think those police officers were still randomly arriving in nationalist areas and killing people? They weren't. The civilian deaths among nationalists were entirely as "punishment" by loyalist paramilitaries for IRA actions - and those actions were not carried out to demand civil rights for nationalist - by then those problems were pretty much solved anyway. But even if they hadn't been that was not what the IRA was looking for.

Same thing the Israelis are doing. Saving their civilians by taking out Hamas / Hezbollah before they get a chance to kill a civilian.

And here I am now having to defend the IRA😏 - it's positively hilarious how little people in the south understand the mechanics of what actually happening - or maybe it's the effect of time, and they've just forgotten: NO, it's not like that because the IRA NEVER kidnapped and murdered dozens of protestant civilians just for being protestant.

TBH I don't think it's because they were too nice to do that - it's more because they knew the limits of what the nationalist community would accept. There's a reason why the Omagh bombing caused the end of any effective dissident IRA activity.

But while were on the subject the IRA (Hamas / Hezbollah) are in similar positions as in all three organisations are / were defending their territories against a much more heavily armed nation. Its a well know fact that Netanyahu wants the state of Israel to expand to include the Palestinian territories and Lebanon. Its also a well know fact that the British empire never wanted to give up the North.

But you also have to remember that the IRA were never defeated militarily.

The same could be said about the current conflict in Israel - Hamas and Hezbollah will never be defeated no matter what Israel throws at them (internment??, air strikes etc)

There's a lot of interesting stuff in there, some of it valid, but the parallels are tenuous. For instance, air strikes? There's just nothing comparable in Northern Ireland.

It was a process of peace that brought about change in the North.

Its gone on long enough and the only way to achieve a lasting peace is probably in a similar fashion to what happened in the North. Disarmament from Hamas / Hezbollah , a stop to the indiscriminate bombing from the Israeli side and maybe a withdrawing to recognised borders and then borders possibly redrawn to a fairer distribution of land for both sides of the conflict.

But someone has to be the bigger person and start that process - at the minute it looks like neither side is willing to even discuss a peace plan.

Again, lots that's interesting in there, but I'm at work and can't reply properly. Two quick points though:

The IRA wasn't defeated militarily because there was no need - the British had thoroughly infiltrated it to the extent that the "nutting squad" was identifying the wrong people and killing them instead of the actual spies. It's suspected that a number of leaders who were most involved in the peace process were also British agents. I've no idea if that's true but it's definitely true that some of them have had a heck of a lot more luck than others in not being jailed or taken out by the British.

As for being the bigger person: October 7th, and the promise to repeat it mean that Israel can't just "be the bigger person". Because their first duty is to Israeli civilians, and while Hamas promise to continue murdering civilians (something the IRA always denied wanting to do) there is just no equivalence with the NI peace process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭dmcdona

yes - it's depressing. I do "get" that it's a very tricky situation for Israel.

I do believe that there are many Israelis who do care - the far right don't help by stoking up discontent and being all belligerent (Smotrich is already on his megaphone this morning). And many Israelis have protested against the current government. Certainly, the lack of action on the hostages is very negative.

If the casualties in Gaza had been very much less than 40k, I do think the reaction would have been less. But the scale of the deaths and the pictures of levelled infrastructure reached a tipping point and was just too much for people not to react.

But there are moderates in Israel who talk sense. When the current govt. are voted out, perhaps efforts can start to put matters to right.

Replace "have had to" with "have had an excuse to" and you will have posted an honest response. But your post, quoted above, is sheer bad faith from you.

Bye now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

The only lunatic stuff is the levels of denial you are showing. Over 25,000 women and children killed in Gaza, the whole city levelled and completely destroyed. Now it's Lebanons turn. News that the latest strike killed 23 and they were mostly women and children. Members of Israeli government have displayed maps with Palestine not existing and statements that Lebanon won't exist after Isarael are finished.

But yet, despite all this evidence, some people just want to pretend it doesn't exist.

This is what you want?

If there hadn’t been a Civil Rights March the paratroopers wouldn’t have had an excuse to shoot any unarmed civilians.

This might make sense to you. I still dont see an excuse for shooting 26 unarmed civilians , killing 14.

Israel should hunt them all down and kill them. 

We the West did similar with the Nazi's and its something we laud today.

H

The west didn’t hunt all the Nazis down and kill them. They made one, an SS officer, the head of NASA. If Israel treated Hamas like the allies treated the Nazis. Senior Hamas commanders would become heads of the Israeli rocket programme. Even get their face on a stamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

This canard again. Israel's very survival is not at stake. They are one of the most formidable armies in the world with nuclear weapons. Who are also backed up by a superpower.

Whatever intent their enemies may have, they simply are not a threat to the survival of the state of Israel . We are seeing the proof of that play out in Lebanon. Hezbollah have been severely weakened, their backer, Iran, have no stomach to intervene because they know they will lose and that risks the end of their rule.

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Advertisement

Haha..

https://freedomhouse.org/country/turkey/freedom-world/2024

The OSCE described the 2023 elections as marred by the AKP’s continued restrictions on freedoms of assembly, association and expression, political interference in the electoral process, and a lack of transparency.

https://www.osce.org/odihr/elections/turkiye/543552

the current president and the ruling parties enjoyed an unjustified advantage. Continued restrictions on fundamental freedoms of assembly, association and expression hindered the participation of some opposition politicians and parties, as well as civil society and independent media, international observers said in a statement today.  

The Guardian is right, a dictator in all but name. Sure Putin holds elections too.. guess he isnt a dictator.

Advertisement