Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Air bag light constantly on

• 12-09-2024 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

My airbag light is constantly on in my car.

Is this an easy fix or do i need to take it to a garage?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭User1998

You need a good obd scanner. If you don’t have that it needs to go to a mechanic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I would ask what type of car and are front seats going back on forward ?

Narrowing it down with a fault code will guide you of where issue is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Wood

If i had to take a guess not knowing the make or model, I'd say clock spring is gone.

But get a diagnostic done, an amazon OBD may just show you airbag light is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭thebourke

Went to firststop…they did a diagnostics…they said it's possible an issue with the passenger seatbelt tensioner…

they said i need to go to an auto electrician for further diagnosis?

is this right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Make and model please?

Has this fault occurred within your ownership? Or did you buy the car with the light on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Raichų

in fairness how can anyone here without even knowing the make and model of your car answer that question OP?

You’re asking can strangers who haven’t a clue what car you have even form an opinion on whether a diagnostic test carried out by a garage is accurate or not?

mercedes mini one 2002 model…fauly occurred within my ownership..it appeared to happen after i took my car to the nct…

Mercedes mini one?

Not aware of such a car.

If you mean a Mini one (bmw mini), the first thing I would do is check all the wiring connectors under the front seats as they get disturbed when.moving the seats. This could have happened at nct. You will need someone with diagnostics to clear the fault though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Luna84

…. delete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭JP 1800

If it is the Mini then like BMW of that period the seat pad sensor is probably the culprit or the wire connecting the seat pad sensor has stretched. A common problem. Any one with BMW Inpa can reset. However the pad either needs replacing or bypassed with a resistor pack before a reset.

• Advertisement

got quoted 430euro by bmw authorised dealer for this part.they would have to order it from germany.

Does anybody know ,if you would have to get the seatbelt tensioner specific to that year or model of the car?

its a 2002 mini one

Get one from a scrapyard.. the car is 22 years old! It doesn’t have to be the exact same year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭893bet

is there wiring under the seats? Get your hands in and have a play around trying to tighten connections. Recently had an issue and that solved it (entirely different car).

there is wiring underneath the seat but its hard to get at…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭893bet

might be unrelated, but if the guy doing nct was tall and slammed seat back could have done something. Move seat forward as far as you can, put torch in your phone and see if there is any connections that you give a hand squeeze on when accessing from behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭Hooked

STAY AWAY FROM BMW!!!

You need an independent garage or a decent auto electrician - to find where the fault is stored and clear it.

Could be a loose connection, frayed wire, etc…

In my older BMWs there was a little "bypass piece" you could buy and plug in to the seat belt tensioner/occupancy sensor to keep the light off. Its a 22 yer old car. Find the cheapest fix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Luna84

In my older BMWs there was a little "bypass piece" you could buy and plug in to the seat belt tensioner/occupancy

I done that too a fair few years ago when I had my e39. I also fixed my parents airbag light by joining two wires together under their drivers seat as the factory connection must have stopped connecting the two wires together. I didn't figure that out myself I googled the car and problem and it was a common problem but it was an easy fit. I also unbolted the seat and swung it back over the back seats to give more working room and get a better look.

I got a second hand part from the uk…it cost me 50euro including postage

bmw were charging 430euro1

How can they charge so much

Did you have to get fault cleared at a garage after?

BMW obviously charging for new part and whatever labour time they pull out of their ass.

• Advertisement

Their response when i asked them why it was nearly 9 times the price of a second hand one….

"

That is the price on our system that is created by BMW themselves

The part supplied by us is brand new not second hand and comes with a two year warranty

That price also includes delivery and import charges as all our stock comes from BMW UK"

Why would you even bother. Of course they are going to be multiples of the price of an independent dealer and a 2nd hand part.

The Lesson is stay away from them where possible. They don't even expect to sell parts for 20 year old cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

cause they can, probably only costs them a fraction of that to

Advertisement