Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hezbollah pager explosions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Will0483

Palestine will never achieve statehood. Calling everyone and everything that you disagree with far right and racist does nothing for your argument.

The Palestinians and others should have learned by now that the Israelis don't mess around. Maybe after whats coming next, all of the Islamic zealots might finally catch on. Don't poke the bear as nobody is coming to save you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

You made the (false) charge that under attack nationalists flocked for protection to the IRA after Bombay St.

That there was a democratic will for nationalists to fight back with violence.

Ahistorical clap trap.

Hamas do not have, as their number 1 priority, as was claimed here, the killing of all Jews in Israel and around the world.

Did you read the link I posted? I guess not.

What in your opinion is their number 1 priority?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

You are just making things up now.
    Whete did I say there was a democratic will for anything? Thsts right I didn’t?

Was 1919 IRA a paramilitary force?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Wouldn't this have been said about Ireland in the late 19th century or the Baltic states in the 1980s, that statehood and independence was an absolute impossibility? Why should anyone buy into the narrative of the country blocking that statehood (plus their vast legions of international supporters) on this?

• Advertisement

That what doesn't exist?

A plan to kill all 12 million people in Gaza, the West Bank and Lebanon, and depopulate the area totally?

Can you find my any credible source that alludes to this 'plan'?

And no, bingo card soundbites like "Genocide hmm'kay" or a 'map' are not evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭weisses

I agree.... same as inventing that Germany is delivering a third of Israels bombs... wicked stuff altogether

You made the claim that Hamas’s number 1 priority is to “Kill all the Jews in Israel and all around the world” but you don’t seem to be able to support your claim so post a link to something that doesn’t say this as a distraction.
    Not very clever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

I don't think anyone would want any nation to carpet bomb an entrapped people, dropping 2000lb bombs on women and children huddled into camps, massacre 40k people, take thousands hostage, gang rape and torture detainees, bomb hospitals, emergency crews, places of worship, schools, universities. Irregardless of who is doing it, it is despicable. Hiding behind allegations of antisemitism is cowardly

• Advertisement

The US alone is blocking Palestinian statehood and a new generation of Americans are becoming tired of being subservient to the wishes of Israel.
    Palestinian statehood is only a matter of time.

You are calling on the occupied Palestinians to just give up. When is the right time for the invaded to stop resisting. Would you tell the Ukrainians to just give up and accept their fate too? Of course not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes, as that poster failed to point out there were mass protests against the Iraq War and calls for the use of Shannon by the Americans to stop. He or she didn't claim people protesting against the Russian invasion were Russianphobes and that calls for sanction were further examples of it.

He/she also wasn't posting complaining about people protesting the War in Ukraine on the basis they didnt protest the war in Ethiopia first. Why were they so focused on Russia. Clearly they were haters of the entire nation of Russia, as opposed to being against the actions of Putin and his cronies.

While there is antisemitism, that poster would like to equate any and all of criticism as Israel as being anti semitic simply because he/ she can't brook criticism of Israel. That's what it boils down too. Bear in mind the very same poster defends the action of Irgun while claiming to be against political violence because non state actors have no legitimacy, except when it comes to Israel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Sums it up nicely

Ceasefire talks being explored but all Hezbollah have to do is stop attacking Israel and retreat behind litani.

Failure to do that forces an Israeli war, as always Hezbollah decides what happens next.

To keep the encouragement going the head of Hezbollah drone unit was destroyed today but overall military response by the IDF has been scaled down.

21 day ceasefire serves none but Nasrallah. He is going to order them to get back and stop firing or not.

Yes, an imagined conversation by a right wing Tic Toker sums up the views of many here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

israel claim to hold themselves to a higher standard then everyone else, the IDF being the most moral army in the world nonsense as a perfect example.

so that of itself would invalidate the antisemitism claim.

not to mention nobody holds israel to a different or higher standard then anyone else, simply the standard that it acts to which is a very low one.

ireland has adopted the correct definition of antisemitism, as did labour under corbyn ETC.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

and yet america failed to do that and the viet cong won.
    yeah yeah, israel simply lashes out more because it wants to slaughter as many as they can so they can settle the land, they even tell you this.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

they did invade it for the hell of it yes, their plan was again to settle it.
    egypt had every right to close the straights to protect themselves from israely aggression and terrorism.

it wasn't a pre-emtive strike, it was an invasion to steal more land.

israel won thanks to america, ergo it was actually america that won because israel would have been militarily neutralised which it would have deserved to have been, if it wasn't for the americans falling for the immotional blackmail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Rosahane

The destruction of Israel is their second priority, becoming millionaires and billionaires is their number 1 priority!

Mark keeps using “casus belli” as justification.
    Just like the Germans did in 1939, Russians did in 2022, US did in 2003.

Warned and 1 day forum ban applied

Post edited by Beasty on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭dmcdona

Update (BBC).

Netanyahu's office deny a ceasefire proposal.

Not sure what's going on there?

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has told Israel's military to keep fighting with "full force" and has not responded to last night's ceasefire call, his office says.

In response to the ceasefire proposal put forward by 12 international allies, Netanyahu's office says:

"The news about a ceasefire - not true. This is an American-French proposal, to which the prime minister did not even respond. The news about the supposed directive to moderate the fighting in the north is also the opposite of the truth.

"The prime minister instructed the IDF to continue the fighting with full force, and according to the plans presented to him. Also, the fighting in Gaza will continue until all the goals of the war are achieved."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Ah the hoary old 'proportionality ' excuse. That Israelis are better at defending themselves than Hamas or Hezbollah is actually used against them by lefties in Ireland.

If a rocket is fired at israel it's one too many. Proportionality doesn't mean they can only fire one for one. They can fire 100 to 1 if they feel it necessary to neutralise the threat. Same with deaths.. if its 50 to 1 it's neither here nor there. Hamas and Hezbollah are getting crushed. That's not against 'proportionality '. Irish people in general are so bad on military stuff it's shocking. You're ordinary European,Brit ,American has some idea of the laws of war and military stuff. Alot of Irish people especially on here are only interested in 'victimhood'... its the famine hangover..' The Most Oppressed People Ever..' fairytale ...thats morphed into a country that can't defend its skies or waters and relies on its so called colonial masters ( colonial colleagues is accurate) to defend themselves. You couldn't make it up. So we go for the terrorists...time and time again.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭maccored

there was. thats how the terribly named 'troubles' began. You'd know sure - you lived there during it. Oh no … hang on …

Looks like they are going full force today but not launching much retaliatory strikes, so full steam ahead with breaks on.

Werner Von Braun was an unbelievable mind that actually knew about rockery. Hamas and Hezbollah are clueless ,gullible pawns in Irans game

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

The reality is that, like Hamas. Hezbollah place key assets and resources under civilian blocks...

Unlike Hamas much of what they have near the south is in open and empty country whereas Hamas could always use the civilian infrastructure as bases and human cover.

Hezbollah and Lebanon are just having the reality of war pointed out. They have been attacking since last Oct and they won't like what being stopped means.

Due care will be taken but the hard logic of war will also ensure.

An ex IDF chief of staff said he expects presence on the ground in Gaza into next summer.

this is just your fantasy.

there will be a palestinian state, israel can and will slaughter as much as possible but we are at a stage now where it is just the politicians keeping this nonsense on the road, public opinion has had enough of israel and it's victim playing, it's raping, slaughtering, land theft, colonisation ETC and eventually public opinion will force the politics to change.

just like it did with apartheid south africa, etc.

Ah yes, a good Nazi. And an excellent gardener 😀

• Advertisement

but they aren't better at defending themselves because they slaughter so many civilians in an attack.
    they are actually **** at defending themselves in fact.
    hamas and hesbala are being temporarily weakened yes, but like always they will rebuild because the problem ultimately is israel and it's greed cause a sky fairy said they are entitled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The British army in Northern Ireland during the Troubles were living saints compared to that terrorist grouping known as the IDF. Certainly, NI Catholics were killed by the British forces (Bloody Sunday, various 'shoot to kill' incidents etc) but the numbers of civilians killed were tiny in comparison to the orgy of bloodshed, violence and mayhem being unleashed by the regime in Tel Aviv.

Ireland is in the haypenny place when it comes to victim mentality.
    Israel’s defence as you acknowledge is based on hand outs from America to buy rockets invented by Nazis. Maybe the best way to guarantee security is to be less Killy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Yet again with the strawman.. The perpetual victimhood of the Zionists is easily exposed by scratching the surface. If you don't like that, then that's your issue, not mine. The simple fact is that Israel is, and always has been, the aggressor.

Your idols will attempt to get decades out of that date. But the world has seen through their guff this time. Nothing gives them an excuse to commit genocide.

Israel were, and still are, the much more powerful entity who control and steer any interactions. Countless years of slow ethnic cleansing. Verified and incontrovertible. Attempted desecration and seizure of Palestinian religious sites was simply the tiny straw which broke the camels back.

Here are some more dates for you:

October 6th

October 5th

October 4th

And so on for decades

• Advertisement

The reality is that Israel can do what it wants for some. All they need to do after committing another atrocity is just say "eh yeah, there was a Hamas Hezbollah fella nearby …. eh … using the kids in that playschool as an eh ..human shield. Yes that's it."

Critical thinking isn't a skill acquired by many people. But no harm to think for one's self the odd time rather than blindly swallowing the same excuses over and over

For those that espouse the view that Israelis are under permanent existential threat and the only solution is to keep killing those around them, here's an Israeli who doesn't think like that.

Gideon Levy - Haaretz (not full article)

Israel is turning, with alarming speed, into a country that lives on blood. The daily crimes of the occupation are already less relevant. Over the past year, a new reality of mass killing and crimes of an entirely different scale has emerged. We are in a genocidal reality; the blood of tens of thousands of people has flowed. 

This is the time that all Israelis should ask themselves if they are willing to live in a country that lives on blood. Just don't say that there is no choice – of course there is – but first we must ask whether we are even prepared to live like this.

Are we, the Israelis, willing to live in the only country in the world whose existence is based on blood? The only vision that is widespread in Israel now is to live from one war to another war, from one bloodletting to the next, from massacre to massacre, with intervals spaced as widely as possible. 

No other vision is on the table. Hopeful people promise long intervals, while the right promises a permanent blood-soaked reality: war, mass killing, systematic violation of international law, a pariah state, repeating in an endless cycle.

The Palestinians will continue to be massacred, and Israelis will continue to close their eyes to it? Hard to believe. A time will come when more Israelis will open their eyes and recognize that their country subsists on blood. Without bloodshed, we are told, we have no existence – and we make our peace with this horrific statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Astartes

Seems like Hesbollah exist on the tolerance of the IDF. They know who's who and who's where at all times and just wait for their moment. Must be concerning.

You ll always have a few dissidents or bedwetters in any war. Ireland is full of them. All it shows is a healthy democracy and diverse journalism. Id be a Jerusalem Post reader myself, more centre right than the left wing Haaretz.

The worst outcome for many in Ireland is for Hezbollah to stand down and leave Hamas to their suicidal carry on. It's all hidden behind the 'what about the babies' stuff. Civilians dying is terrible and sad but come on lads we all want Israel to end this but end it in a way that doesn't allow the grass to grow back in 2 years

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Ah yes, "mow the grass every two years". That's the genocidal piece the author mentioned.

It's comforting that there are Israelis that don't think like you.

• Advertisement

one incident in a conflict that has been going on for decades.

and easily preventable had israel secured it's borders as they knew an attack was coming.

not to mention those killed by the IDF that day under the hannible directive, who keep either being forgotten about, or attributed to hamas.

the evidence would suggest otherwise.

sure, the IDF will find out who is who as they did in 2006 and before hand, take them out and so on, but ultimately hesbala exists on the fact that israel's might hasn't and won't ultimately defeat them.

even in the event they did, something else more extreme will replace it because while israel wants to be a genocidal state that steals land and slaughters, other forces will step up to try and stop it from achieving such aims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭taratee

The key members of most terrorist groups or criminal gangs are known by the police, or military leaders in the countries that the operate in. The IDF knows who the leaders of Hezbollah are but I doubt that Hezbollah were overly bothered about that prior to last week. The pager explosions must have really shocked them. They probably thought they were untouchable once they stayed in Lebanon or they restricted to their movements to countries that support Hezbollah. The IDF will take them out if they get the opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Sky news

Israel appears to have rejected ceasefire attempts by seven Western nations and three from the Middle East.

Israel's leader Benjamin Netanyahu stands accused of playing a double game, telling US diplomats he would approve a truce before publicly doing the opposite.

According to Israeli media, Western diplomats claim Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu privately agreed to a ceasefire with US interlocutors, but then distanced himself from the idea in public.

Western diplomats have become used to such ambiguity from the Israeli leader over Gaza too. 
    Chance to explain himself

Last night, the Biden administration was confident enough of success to say this to Sky News and other organisations: 

"I can share that we have had this conversation with the parties and felt this was the right moment, based on the call, based on our discussion, they're familiar with the texts and we'll let them speak to their actions. We're expecting the deal in the coming hours."

That confidence appears to have been misplaced.

Trust between the US and the Netanyahu government will have been dealt yet another blow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Why are they evicting people illegally in the West Bank and stealing their land? Why are they protecting settlers who are doing the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭SeanW

No amount of historical revision changes the fact that those who made Aliyah to the Holy Land did not do so with the intention of setting up a colony for a foreign power, nor the fact that they did not have a single metropolitan state that they all came from. This is totally unlike the 13 colonies that became the US, or French Louisiana, Spanish Florida etc. The intention was always to set up an independent homeland which by dictionary definition, makes them not colonists.

Settlers, maybe. Conquerors, maybe. But not colonists.

A basic understanding Israeli demographics would confirm this.

Israeli Jews - Wikipedia

Where is their metropole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The IDF exist on the arms and surveillance of the US. They are cowards who murder women and children in large numbers with invalid and made up excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Without using the word metropole in the answer, do you have a problem with Palestinians being forced out of their homes and off their land so foreign "settlers" can take it because they believe their god says it's ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Jizique

Is that why other Arab nations are so loath to bring Palestinian refugees into their countries? It hasn't ended well for Lebanon, once the jewel of the Med

You can dance on the head of a pin all you want SeanW but it won't change facts. Keep trying to convince yourself if you want. Maybe some day you will manage that. As pointed out already on the thread (for all the relevance it is) but the original Pilgrims moved to the Americas with similar intentions. You'd can believe that every person who emigrated there from this island in the 18th century went on a mission to set up a colony for their English betters. I have no doubt you have the self belief in your ability to read that minds of those long-dead people. As did the Dutch who went to what is now NY and the Germans who went to Pennsylvania. They all went to establish a colony for the English. Or whatever you are having yourself.

It comes across that you read something on twitter about a "metropole" and you just keep repeating it over and over again. If it makes you happy then who am I to stop you. It's a bit boring at this stage

• Advertisement
Advertisement