Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game News 2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Astro yes, Lego no.

I've done well out of PS5, having never owned a PS before. I've gotten their games super polished with high frame rates and resolution and low prices.

But I fall asleep when I see the same kinds of games, gameplay and art direction, getting trotted out by then and MS. It's a shame since the hardware they have is so capable.

Maybe I'm just shocked at the cost of the production of these games, the sheer effort that goes into them, all the marketing, and then they just fall flat, and people and studios are fired. There is money to burn and incredibly super powerful cheap hardware, but the innovation and fun seems to be shut out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I didn't think the writing of Horizon could get worse but the writing in the Lego game was horrible. Game does look fun despite the gross fortnite humour.

Speaking of which, that fortnite controller looks awful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have zero interest in the game, but I do think now of all times is an odd moment to make the 'Sony's games are too serious / grim-dark' argument, when they do seem to be making some efforts to put out stuff besides self-serious open-world and action games.

I'd have said the same from Microsoft a year or so ago, on the back of stuff like Pentiment and Hi-Fi Rush. Though we now know what happened with the latter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't get me wrong, I'd love if Sony made zanier more colorful games, just the Lego Horizon games humour fell really flat for me. Actually think it looks like a really fun game.

Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom reviews are coming out and it's looking like it's going to be one of the best of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

All is not well at Ubisoft it seems - admitting to 'softer' (i.e. worse) sales of Outlaws than they anticipated, and delaying AC Shadows to polish it. Their years of lazy, rote design and cheeky nickle-and-diming finally catching up with them?

FINALLY they realise they should be launching PC games on Steam, at least. Amazing that some publishers haven't copped onto that still.

They are also abandoning the season pass model

Listening to players' feedback, and as an illustration of our player-centric approach, the following important decisions relative to Assassin's Creed Shadows have been taken:

- Assassin's Creed Shadows will now be released on 14 February 2025. While the game is feature complete, the learnings from the Star Wars Outlaws release led us to provide additional time to further polish the title. This will enable the biggest entry in the franchise to fully deliver on its ambition, notably by fulfilling the promise of our dual protagonist adventure, with Naoe and Yasuke bringing two very different gameplay styles.

- We are departing from the traditional Season Pass model. All players will be able to enjoy the game at the same time on February 14 and those who preorder the game will be granted the first expansion for free.

- The game will mark the return of our new releases on Steam Day 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Funnily enough I was just on the PSN Store and went into the discounts section, and it was chock full of Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs and The Crew games, special editions, season passes & DLCs as per usual.

Their games go on sale so quickly and so often that I'm surprised anyone buys them at launch these days. If AC Shadows hadn't been delayed to February it probably would have been on sale by then anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

DF got to play PS5 Pro and have a video up on it. Haven't watched it all yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,383 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

When you said they're abandoning the season pass model, I assumed it meant they weren't doing the DLC and would be part of the game at sale. But nope, seems they're just releasing the DLC to be bought separately.

I think it's also the whole thing where if you get gold or ultimate edition of a game you get 3 days early access. This backfired on them with outlaws, playstation players who were playing with early access lost game progress due to bug present in game.

Also in other Ubisoft related news

https://insider-gaming.com/ubisoft-investigation/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Watched the Xbox Tokyo Game Show, which was more like Overworld Game Show, to be honest, so many different games that highlighted their overworld.

Some good stuff for Xbox in Japan there though.

Any standouts? TGS has been pretty weak the last few years especially with Nintendo not being there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

A lot of catching up for Square games.

Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster, Legend of Mana Remaster and Trials of Mana remake out today the latter 2 on Game Pass.

DQ 3 HD-2D also confirmed for Xbox release.

Pixel remaster suggests that the square enix exclusivity deal with FF is up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

TGS trailer for MGS 3 Remake, I was expecting a release date as it's still rumoured to be released in 2024 but I can't see that happening.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Basically what sniper said.

Starcraft remastered and SC2 coming to Gamepass PC.

Tanuki, a raccoon mailman on a bmx, coming soon.

Katamari reroll+ is out on Gamepass.

Metaphor, from the persona guys.

Honestly, a lot of it looked quite similar, and all of it looked like it was targeted towards the Japanese gamer. Synduality was very clearly based on any anime with a girl piloting a mech. Suikoden 1 & 2 HD Remaster is coming. All you need is help looked quite good for a 4p co-op puzzler.

Was quite interesting in that way, that MS would devote an entire show to a market that's been quite hostile to it. Also showed the Amazon Firestick, I believe in a "you don't need a console in your small Japanese apartment" way.

I’ve always been cynical about these new Konami remakes as they seem a bit pointless to me.

But I’ve been playing through the OG Silent Hill 2 and honestly quite depressed that there’s been no effort made to make that properly available. It’s so distinct and fascinating visually in particular it’s a real shame that it’s getting a glossy remake instead of a proper remaster.

At least the MGS retro collection exists.

• Advertisement

Looks fantastic. Not 100% sold on some of the character models, Ocelot doesn't look as snide and punchable. Disappointed there's no release date yet. Considering some of the feedback from the previews it was assumed the majority of the game was ready to go.

There's been a thread about the fog in the new game and despite it using volumetric voxel effects in the remake it looks worse than the PS2 version which moves realistically with wind movement and had textures applied which funnily enough is something that isn't possible on the deferred renderers engine of the new game.

Basically the new game is using a very advanced and intensive effect to make accurately volumetric fog that manages to look less realistic than the fog effects on the original that were all hand crafted right down to movements to simulate wind.

Yeah it's a good example of tech limitations leading to great artistic outcomes. The fog in the original is so oppressive and eerie that it adds greatly to the game's mood and tone, while also being a technical necessity to achieve what they wanted to. Overall there's a layer of artful fuzziness and abstraction which really adds huge amounts to the game's visual and tonal signature.

What I've seen of the original is obviously more technically advanced in the most literal sense, but just does not conjure up the same atmosphere.

I will say though that I hated the fire and blood graphics in the original. Everything looked so... stringy....

Must look that up. Dont remember the blood effects, I'm guessing they are just the little puff of alpha claret that most games of the time used. I do remember being very impressed by the burning staircase scene with Angela near the end of the game. Might be the nostalgia mixed with how devastatingly power the whole scene was so must take another look. I think we've only had decent fire effects relatively recently.

About 3.30 in this video (Snake getting punched), and 14.10 or so (Snake getting shot). Always the bits that stood out to me.

(Unfortunate thumbnail of Volgin grabbing Snake's snake)

Edit: Sorry, got confuzzled over what game we were talking about, I was on about the fire and blood effects in MGS3. I see now you meant Silent Hill. Still though, blood in video above very stringy

Post edited by Penn on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Not surprised, they did similar with Uncharted when the Legacy collection was announced. They removed Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy from individual sale at €20 each and bundled them together for €40, you only needed one of the titles to get the €10 PS5 upgrade.

The PS5 Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy is often below 20 quid, so I'd imagine the same for HZD after a while. I tried to start HZD a couple of times (got the complete edition for 10 euro), but couldn't get into it. I'll try again and if 3rd time's the charm, I'll pay 10 quid for the upgrade.

If you don't feel with the combat then you aren't going to enjoy it. The combat is fun it's just everything surrounding it brings it right down.

• Advertisement

Again must check out the videos but I remember enjoying how realistic the gore and blood in mgs 2 and 3 was.

Korean ratings board that's leaked 'Siren'.

I'd say mostly likely this will be the PS2 games released for Halloween.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Picked it up for the missus yesterday and she's raving about it alright. Won't get near it now till herself and the eldest lad have completed it😭

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Someone has remade the PT trailer on PS5 using Dreams. Never got to play the original so going to try this out at the weekend.

It's a shame that dreams wasn't pushed more by Sony. It had incredible potential.

Always wondered what happened to it. I guess it was just too complicated and launched at a time when the likes of unity made getting into game dev easier than ever. Why make something in Dreams when you could make it just as easily in unity and sell it.

For anyone sensitive to unstable framerate, seems that new Atlus game Metaphor runs much better if you play the PS4 version on PS5.

The Switch was the console to get everyone into Zelda. Still wondering where our BOTW cartridge went. Will try down the back of the sofa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I saw someone referring to it on Twitch last week, I honestly thought it was long gone…

• Advertisement

Jason Schreier has posted an article about the implosion of Annapurna.

Play Magazine closing down

1995 -> 2004 Official PlayStation Magazine

2000 -> 2008 Official UK PlayStation 2 Magazine

2006 -> 2021 PlayStation Official Magazine – UK

2021 -> 2024 PLAY Magazine

original incarnation of Official PlayStation Magazine ran until 2004, focussed solely on PS1 – a true single-format mag. Official PlayStation 2 Magazine launched in 2000, the two mags' runs overlapping for several years. With a modern design to match PS2's slick, futuristic edge, OPS2 would become known for its exclusive deep dives and chunky DVD-box-style demo and trailer discs.

OPS2 lasted until 2008, though, as with the previous generation hop, it crossed over with the official PS3 mag, rebranded as the more generational agnostic PlayStation: The Official Magazine (technically shortened to POM, though for many the OPM moniker stuck).

Higher-res artwork was becoming standard, meaning the chunky OPS2 banner was swapped for a sleeker one, leaving room on the cover for huge, striking images. The new name meant that this numbering of the magazine stuck all the way until 2021 and OPM #187.

Its sad to see print media going the way of the dodo but from what I know of the OPM in the PS1 and PS2 era, it's was pretty much bottom of the barrel when it came to writing and reviews. I bought it about twice for demos but the magazine felt like it was for children.

At least it never got as bad as the official Irish PlayStation magazine. That was a Trainwreck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Good time to plug the Back Page podcast, it’s a really measured mix of old Britgaming magazine tales from two vets and modern coverage. Also Matt does the unthinkable and is an actually funny podcast host. Imagine they’re going to have some sort of dedicated postmortem for OPM. Fairly sure one of them worked on it at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Ah these magazines were always about the demo disks. I'm pretty sure I read less than half of them and just used to fire up the demo disks to see what was worth looking at.

A lot of my collecting for games when I actually started earning enough money to do so was inspired by games I'd only ever played a demo of and either couldn't find or, more likely, couldn't afford as a wee lad.

Definitely a few fond memories being tapped into today

I always got a few different magazines here and there. Probably didn't read any of the articles in any great detail, but aside from demo disks and the like they were just something to flick through. My mother nearly flittered me when I came home with a magazine that was just cheats and walkthroughs because it had Lara Croft in a towel or something on the cover.

"But Mam… I swear I only got it for the GTA3 cheats!"

Edit: Ha, actually found it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭McFly85

Yeah I do remember having to convince the newsagent and my parents that this magazine was purely about PlayStation games!

I used to love getting Amiga magazines though because these disks you’d get were fantastic. There’d be some demos, but mainly some great hobbyist applications or full games in there that I’d spend hours playing.

Ah, buying them for the articles.

Yeah the Amiga magazines would give away some pretty full disks. I remember Cannon Soccer being given away. Or a demo of Worms that I played a lot of.

Plenty a Saturday was spent in Easons reading all those gaming mags for hours, before heading home with the one with the best demo disk. Simpler times.

PC Gamer was a treasure trove of demos and shareware. Played plenty of demos of games that never even came out. It was also the only way to get patches for games before the intrawebs.

I know a few years ago there was a big campaign to try and preserve the UK OPM demo discs as they were the only place that the homebrew Net Yaroze PS1 games were ever made available outside of the closed Net Yaroze servers. They managed to archive them all and are freely available now.

Wasn't it a demo disc that allowed hacking of either a Sony or Sega system?

• Advertisement
Advertisement