Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The tide is turning - Garda Body Cams

• 26-09-2024 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Seems the first conviction in court using Garda Body Cam evidence resulted in a 3 month sentence for the defendant.

Before it was " the people " who pulled their phones out and were very selective of what was recorded and released on social media.

For me it's the best thing is the Garda tool kit in decades.

I'm sure scumbags and " Protesters " are pissed with the idea that the tables are turned.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Do all guards have it yet? So many videos on social media of the usual suspects videoing their own harassment to others like guards and nothing done about it.

It's a step in the right direction so long as it's available to all gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Soc_Alt

On trial in some stations in Dublin, Limerick and Waterford before a national roll-out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

They all should all have had body cams a long time ago. There's a pub in Cork where the staff wear them FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭prunudo

…..never mind, vanilla sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Soc_Alt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

TBF we have seen police forces in other jurisdictions be very selective with their body cam footage too.

From not turning on the cameras, to footage going missing to heaps of red tape trying to access the footage.

Scumbags filming guards to goad them is a different issue.

The sad reality is everyone is going to end up filming everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

would be lovely to see the standard taken up that an officers actions are presumptively unlawful if their body cam footage is not available for an arrest/encounter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

yep. Thing is that police rely on public trust to get the job done. Bodycams are the best thing for it. They provide evidence against suspects when arrests are made. And they provide evidence against garda when the garda steps out of line. They're a fantastic tool and they should be used by police everywhere. If a garda has a cam that suddenly stops working, that should be seen as a break in that trust.

The problem with trust it is a 2 way street.

And as I have already referenced I don't actually think bodycams develop that trust, quite the opposite in fact as you just end up with everyone filming everyone else. That isn't trust, that is paranoia.

When investigations like this come out it erodes the trust even further.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-66809642

Body cams are seen as some sort of panacea, the reality is they cause a wide range of problems.

TBH I can't see us here learning other jurisdictions and avoiding the same ones.

But the main question is what is the goal of these?

Keep the guards in check, keep the public in check?

Where these are already established as their been a significant decrease in crime, has there been a significant increase in convictions?

I don't actual think the main problem with Anto is convicting him as he already has 220 previous.

There is a real sense of we are just shoe horning these in because they have them elsewhere (e-voting)

I think at this the stage the money and time should be spent on fixing certain aspects of our criminal justice system and our police force and not introduce something that could make both worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I'd agree with you.

Trust is a huge problem.

I do not trust the Garda (or more broadly the legal system, which AGS are a part of). I've no Penalty points, no convictions or fines for anything, I don't attend those mental protests or anything like that, I'm completely law abiding, but I do not trust them.

I've been stopped by Garda in the car and on the motorcycle a few times (Checkpoints and what not), I give my name and address and present my license and I say nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Floppybits

That's thing isn't it Trust, I think the bodycams are a good idea but then you have to ask the questions

Are the body cams on all the time, do the come on automatically or can the garda control when they go and when they go off?

Who has access to the cam footage?

Where is the footage stored?

Is there an audit trail to who accessed the cam footage, when it was accessed and were there any changes made?

It is sad that these questions would need to be asked but the Gardai have not exactly proven themselves to be a trustworthy organisation and we seen that with what has gone on in Donegal with the McBreretty case and the even more so with one of their own Maurice McCabe, what was it the judge said of every "error" made in that case, not one favoured McCabe. They are just 2 I have highlighted, I am sure there are many more.

So yes body cams are a good thing but there are a lot of issues with Trust in the Gardai over this.

Are the body cams on all the time,

No. Not practical. Can you imagine the data storage requirements? Gardaí are also humans who will need to do private human things throughout their shift.

do the come on automatically

No

or can the garda control when they go and when they go off?

Yes, completely up to the Garda if the camera is turned on or off.

There is a procedure, but generally this can be explained away by, there was no time, it malfunctioned, I thought I turned it on, etc.

And in most circumstances that will be fair enough.

The data will be stored for a standard 31 days apart from certain circumstances, so the chances of a member of the public that may have a complaint securing that data within in that time frame is tight given how glacial things like that move.

As a side note, no one knows the exact cost of this thing, a rough figure of 10 million has been muttered.

Which in Ireland maths probably means closer to 50.

Advertisement