Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Mobile, coming to Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Out of curiosity, what has made you want to jump from GoMo to Sky, as I'm considering doing the opposite if the previous issues of losing data frequently on the road are more or less mitigated by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭JMcL

So just to be clear, you reckon got to sky.com/activation, enter the activation code etc., and only when the signal disappears on the phone (Eir in my case - would have moved to GoMo, but wanted the extra roaming data for the holidays) replace the SIM?

100%. I wish I'd done that. I for some stupid reason I thought I'd have to put the SIM in and activate via the app. You shouldn't need to do that and the app didn't work for me anyway; it kept throwing an error even before asking for the activation code. So complete the activation and port, wait for your Eir signal to go dead, and that's when you'll know it's done and safe to put the new SIM in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Glaceon

In my case, I would have been happy to use GoMo only that the coverage is too bad where I live. I'd sometime get less than 1Mb down. I could have bridged the gap with Wi-Fi calling but wasn't comfortable with only relying on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

While GoMo generally works, it's noticeably slow in places and does tend to fail or drop to Edge in locations where others would still have signal.

Activation is not going well though.. it's quick insofar it's trying to do it, but it's failing because my existing account is a multi-line account with GoMo

Despite now having selected that option on the MySky activation wizard, it's still failing.

On with Sky support now and he's not great (insisting on an ICC ID that he had to be convinced is the same as the SIM number) and having no joy with the port on his end.

I'm on hold while he goes off to ask someone - if they don't sort this though I'll just cancel the whole thing. It's no good to me without the port.

Are you activating via the app or the website? I couldn't get started on the app without an error. The website worked but not without giving me an error on my first attempt to confirm the details at the last step. It errored and had a Try Again button, so I did that, and thankfully it worked the second time.

Tried via the app first but the page crashed and told me to go to the website so I did.

No joy since then and the Sky agent can't get anywhere from his end. Offered to escalate to their back-end team but no ETA offered on response or resolution.

I'm on hold for Cancellations now. We'll see what they say…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Do you have more than one number on your Gomo? Why would that matter?

No joy… got put through to some lady in India who then wanted to run me through the same verification checks that her colleague did 20 minutes earlier. Then asked for a TL only to be told it'll be up to 48 hours to arrange that.

Nope, we'll try and get someone in Ireland/UK I think and cancel it altogether. Maybe try again when they get it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 vapourer

try hit the "try again" button on the mysky app when it pops up with the error

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Cork981

That was one of the main reasons I cancelled, support was very poor. Everytime I called it was just basic troubleshooting, restart your phone while I'm using the phone and at one stage they asked me to delete all messages in my messages app which goes back years. I gave up at that stage and just cancelled. The cancelling process within the cooling off period was fairly easy to be fair so worth giving it a try.

I just find it hard to believe that they actually tested this properly before launching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭beachhead

Look at previous posts.it's hit and mostly miss

What seems to be happening I'd guess is that the Sky back-end is trying to port and then deactivate the GoMo account but because that account has a second number on it, it's failing.

I'm getting an email like this…

That's all correct.. it IS a multi-line account but it seems their systems can't process that.

I'm on hold while they go look into it some more….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1 randomPerson92

I have good signal and 5g but i'm only getting 15Mbps down and up seems to be around 55 on my nothing phone 2a, I am in a small enough town(8k people) , any one have this problem or is it more related to the area, can't remember what speed i was getting on 48 but defo not this slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

It’ll be area dependent. You need to see where the nearest mast is to you for Vodafone. Most likely 3 have a mast nearer you. Check comeg siteviewer

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Advertisement

So we've cancelled down the existing SKY number/mobile account and we're going to try again with a new SIM/account. They have raised the order on their side this time but I have no faith that it'll make any differences as she has selected exactly the same options as I did at the weekend.

If it fails again I'll just forget about it.

Post edited by _Kaiser_ on

Surely you can't be the first person to try with a multi line number?

Yes this would seem to be the Comcast effect . Support outsourced to India who can only read from a very limited script and no initiative/authority beyond that. Very disappointing TBH but then I've never had to deal with GoMo support either - as long as things just work/bill as expected that's all I need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Cork981

It might be surprisng but the best support I got from any provider was Eir. Both billing issues when adding mobiles to the bundle but the twice I rang it was someone local guy here in Cork. One guy was actually a friend from years back and messages me on FB to check if it was me 😀

I gave feedback via a survey request after cancelling listing my issue

1. No 2FA messages from any provider
    2. My second number after porting from Three couldn't receive and SMS (Except for Sky Mobile)
    3. NAT IP was from the UK so websites all UK default. I think this was related to MaxMind being slow to update.

• Advertisement

A little cosmetic quirk I noticed is that the network name is displayed as Tele2 in the SIM settings…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

Didn't even notice that, have only had it in for a couple of hours. 😂 Must have defaulted to off. Thanks.

2FA SMS working from Revenue and Microsoft so that's a good start.

Something I neglected to mention, is that a factory reset isn't your only way out of this scenario unless you're impatient and impetuous like me.

So, if your 2FA issues at least are a result of the SIM being recognized as a different number by your phone and a factory reset would cure it, the other option is to get a replacement SIM. This would be just as effective because the phone will see the new SIM as…new, ie. it having a different ID and whatnot. If you get a replacement, activate and port it before putting into your phone, that could be a more convenient solution for you.

As for WiFi calling, I'm not so sure, given I'm having issues with that as well. VoLTE seems to work as I can make "HD" calls but no matter what I do, I can't call when there's no radio signal when I'm connected to WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭baz9375

I'm the same with mine - wasn't a big issue until I was in NI this weekend and couldn't access data on any network there.

I checked the APNs and they were all for the Swedish Tele2 network. I had to delete the APNs off manually and update with the Sky ones before I could connect to any NI/UK network.

I escalated this to Sky and they have to come back to me. Looking at Sky UK online forums there have been one or two cases of the same issue with Sky UK mobile SIMs being recognised as Tele2 - no updates or resolution on those so I don't know what the fix was.

I see now that there’s a SIM application for toggling between Sky settings and partner settings. I remember that from Tesco Mobile, having to select that when roaming. Are they using Tele2 as a roaming partner I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭EryykTV

You only need to do this on Android phones, because on Android you are "roaming" with Sky using the VF network. Apple does not require Data Roaming to be enabled to use MVNOs.

I've activated as @DECEiFER suggested above, waiting for the eir SIM to go dead. Swapped in the Sky SIM and no connection, so added mobile.sky as an APN as suggested. Meanwhile got a text and a settings notification to click which effectively set up the same thing.

So what I've observed so far (on a OnePlus 12R):

• Number has ported - my daughter was able to call me
    • VoLTE is nowhere to be seen - either in the status bar or as an option anywhere
    • Same for WiFi calling - not on and nowhere to turn it on
    • 2FA seems to be working - tested with my work Microsoft account, and got notification from the bank when turning off the parental controls (the latter seems to work better than Eir in the banking app - though maybe that's down to somebody finally fixing some of the bugs in that!)
    • Speed is much lower than Eir (~48Mb/s vs >200Mb/s) with the proviso that I have line of sight to the Eir base station about 150m away from my front door whereby the Vod mast is a bit further away and has buildings and a hill in between
    • On the latency, pings as reported are over 50ms whereas Eir was just over 20ms. I tried changing the DNS via private DNS to Google as I'd suggested above, to no avail.
    • [Edit - the default PIN is 0000 so got this working. Had to go to UK help page though] I can see no reference to PIN or PUK anywhere, if I try to enable SIM card lock it asks me for the existing PIN which doesn't appear to be 1111 (which they suggest somewhere), nor is it the PIN I had on my old SIM (which I wouldn't expect it to be anyway). Anybody any idea about this? I have visions of trying to turn the phone on, being asked for a PIN, and the phone then locking

My guess is that only some devices are capable of truly availing of VoWiFi on Sky right now and yours, mine, and several others' devices aren't on the list. As for VoLTE, I do believe it works on mine, but as I said above, I had to enable the setting to be visible using an app on my Pixel 7. The app won't work for you, but there could be a OnePlus-specific solution out there.

Changing your DNS provider will only benefit your "fresh" DNS lookups but for all other traffic, the latency would not be affected.

Did you try 0000 for the pin? I know you only have a few chances…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Actually got delivered today.

What idiot staff member thought it was a good idea to put the dispatch date as “Delivered” on the app. 🤦‍♂️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

Happens every sky order I've done. TV and broadband multiple times over the years. Also when you mail the equipment back the same delivered means dispatched and zero updates.

I assume they don't bother to have an post/dpd systems and only update on royal mail items in the UK.

Another oddity I noticed, probably my autistic brain noticing this stuff… 😂

The ICCID on the SIM starts with 8935308. The two digits after 353 usually match the MNC (01 for Vodafone, 03 for Eir etc). But the MNC for Sky seems to be 25 from other posts here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

So I seem to be working now with receiving 2FA SMS, VoLTE and WiFi calling.

Basically I switched phone from S22 Ultra to iPhone.

So perhaps Sky has certain phones configured/tested/working.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Purplej

@Glaceon are you using their eSIM? If so, when did you download it?

I had the same issue on launch day and escalated. I like their network, but they should have fixed this by now. As a note, it will also call your non-existing Swedish voicemail 🤣.

I am confident in them sorting it all out, but they should have done much more testing and invite customers into pilot groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I ported back to GoMo within the 14 day cooling off period. I never had any issues with GoMo.

With Sky I was finding webpages were much slower to open while on my commute to work, even in Dublin city centre and up in Swords, with some webpages not opening at all, then all of a sudden it was like the connection would kick in and it would be fine, till the next time.

Also, I was getting UK ads and more UK news on my Google feed.

No, I asked about an eSIM but they said they couldn’t set one up for me at that time. I saw that there’s an option to convert to eSIM on the MySky app though.

Still showing as Tele2. If I go into the Roaming SIM application and choose Partner network, it does change the APN settings to the Tele2 ones (and the About page shows the Tele2 carrier file).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

A couple of days in and it's going well for me. Speeds are generally speedy and my 5 minute blackspot on the bus when I was with Eir is now gone so happy with that.

Given that people seem to be getting UK ads, has anybody noticed if there's any impact on geo-blocking? Either not being able to watch the RTE player, or conversely being able to access UK streaming. I did a quick test with a VPN and was able to stream RTE when it was down, but not when connected to the UK. I wonder is it a lottery as to where the connection emerges in the Sky universe? If so, it could lead to a rather inconsistent user experience.

I'm getting a sky Irish IP address on all my connections, so nothing blocked that shouldn't be.

• Advertisement

Same here, getting an Irish IP so haven't personally encountered the UK issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭Kilteragh

When trying to sign up online it keeps telling me "We recognise you but not your email address. Please sign up - blah, blah, blah"

Do I have to have a Sky account before signing up for sim-only mobile phone?

no. If it’s easier you could sign up on the phone, if it’s giving you too much hassle online you could just use another email.

Same thing is happening on the phone and with more than one email address.

Ended up having to ring them and got sorted

how are you finding it so far? If you got esim of course.

• Advertisement

I ended up ringing as my existing sky account had a phone number issue (that they couldn't explain) and required a magnifying glass to read the back of my home broadband.

Anyways, lady said they'd put through the mobile order. I'd recommend not doing it on the phone, took 20 mins and she read everything twice in an Indian accent.

Still unsure if I'll go with it when it arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Done, two SIMs.

Had to re-do the port. During the combined port / activation it never asked if my number was “registered” and then the port failed. Got an email to say this. Re-attempted in a dedicated porting form and it ported in less than two mins.

Painfully also had to manually add the APN settings which I can see confusing your average Joe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Ported from Gomo today. Sim took around a week to arrive. Number ported immediately and MFA working as normal. Totally seamless experience tbf and the text notifications are great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement