Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Autumn 2024 - General Discussion

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

You'd wonder what this would be looking like if it was the end of January as opposed to now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Billcarson

I suppose knock off 2 or 3 degrees per month until the end of Jan , which would mean probably around 10c or colder then now if we were to get a similar set up then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Dazler97

The met eirrean super computer is based in Iceland, it covers 4 countries, Iceland, Ireland, Netherlands and the other I've forgotten, weather Warning could be issued they said in the next 24 to 48 hours, they just covered all this on the today show

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the other country it covers has to be the UK if it covers Iceland, Ireland and the Netherlands. The Irish, UK and Dutch met offices work together at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

It’s Denmark.

The United Weather Centres West collaboration has created a new weather model with two forecasting domains, covering the four countries’ areas of interest. Red area shows the Iceland and Greenland domain, blue area shows the Ireland, Denmark, Iceland, and the Netherlands domain.

The new model domain extensively covers an area from East Greenland to southern Italy, dividing the geographical area in squares of 2km in size, an improvement compared to the previous 2.5km grid of the previous model version Met Éireann operated. The model represents the atmosphere vertically in the form of 90 levels, a substantial increase from the 65 levels of the previous operational model. These are resolution improvements which translate into better representation of the meteorological parameters across the domain.

The new model is running every hour, while the previous computing capabilities allowed to run it every three hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow Rain Warning issued⚠️

Valid: 12:00 to 20:00 Thursday 26/9

Potential impacts:
    • Spot flooding
    •Traffic delays and/or disruption

Thank you 😊 I couldn't remember the other country and I had just heard it , early dementia at 27 I think

Well I know Ireland, UK and Dutch met service has our storm naming system, where as Portugal, Spain and France have their own list

On the website, search a specific location forecast. Then It’s directly below the 7 day outlook and above the hourly forecast for that location. Has beta beside it.

• Advertisement

Yellow - Rain Warning for Antrim, Armagh, Down

Eastern counties will see the largest rainfall amounts, especially across Co Down and Co Antrim, where 30 to 50 mm is likely quite widely, and perhaps as much as 60 to 80 mm across high ground such as the Mournes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Met Eireann have worded it slightly differently, they're saying status yellow rain and wind warning. Looking at the models though the strongest of the winds (only just hitting the yellow criteria on ECM) will be on the immediate coast. Even the hi res models are only showing around 70km gusts for most. Probably mentioned in the warning because coupled with heavy rain it might just be a bit more impactful I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 Who Ate The Cat

Cathal Nolan at it again. Issuing his own 'severe' weather warning. Confusing the public and looking for donations.

https://www.facebook.com/100064696986224/posts/pfbid02Uj7XFAqwWZciQC41FSonWCb1PACRMfX7gMKhZD6CuWcvjetx9sSTshhfWyxXAiGxl/?app=fbl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Artane2002

There is definitely missing data, it was a dull week but not to that level. I remember this because I was tracking sunshine values to see if July would end up above or below average and noticed that some days that had a few hours of sun registered as zero. August had a day of missing data too.

That table on Ogimet is confusing, the sunshine values seem to be delayed by two days and the temperatures are delayed by one day - the sunshine for the 10th was actually the 8th for example. I had an evening out in Howth on July 19th and it was lovely, warm, and sunny yet the value for July 21st, corresponding to the real July 19th, was zero, which definitely wasn't the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

Jaysus lads it's like we skipped Autumn and went straight to winter!

Absolutely miserable day.

Post edited by appledrop on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭pauldry

Not the average as such but the mean for that day. I know the IMT is calculated day by day using this method so 6.5c today and 13c average most of the other days means the collated average is not effected as such but when you get the average for a day in isolation it's still 6 degrees colder than what's normal. Like a max of 16c and min of 10c might happen a lot in September so that's about average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Looks poxy in Dublin tomorrow. Rain and gale force winds in the late afternoon.

Shame M.E have nothing similar, 10% wetter for parts of west Ulster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Very windy this morning in Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭alentejo

ME is telling that there is no rain (or very little) forecast today in Dublin, yet yesterday weather warnings about wind and rain for the east cost. Has the low front changed track?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭alentejo

Checked again, and updated to show various amounts of rain over the next 24 hours!

Looking like a very wet day indeed for the east coast with about 20-30mm forecast in the next 12 hours, with after school and commuting hours being around the heaviest of it. 70-80 kmph gusts too for a few hours will add to misery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

ME's hourly forecast says it should be pissing here since 8am. Thankfully dry in Galway City, freezing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭squarecircles

This morning would remind you of a summers morning from july, cold,dark, wet and windy, imagine were going to have to endure 6 months of autumn. Out of here again in November, counting the days, thank christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭squarecircles

you can imagine if they did the colour shading would be impossible to read, and the chart would be hidden away in the maze that is their atrociously laid out user interface.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

An absolute rotten day here in Meath. I could describe today as autumnal but most days over the past year have been autumnal bar a few exceptions such as some nice days in May, a few isolated days in August and then last week.

I'm seriously thinking of taking a mini break at some point around Easter to get out of here, an 11 month wait till my next proper holiday seems just so far away with an entire Autumn and a fantasy illusion of Winter ahead of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Heavy rain for the last few hours here in Leitrim. 9C. String gusty wind.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Wind starting to get up now in Greystones. Pretty much dry since 9am and even the sun popped out for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭pauldry

Is Irelands weather getting worse?

Maybe it's connected to La Nina setting up but this year has been cold in Ireland since May. Bar last week temperatures are running low. However my phone app hinted at 18c in October next week sometime. So just in case we think wel get a snowy winter .....

Anyways max of 8.9c in Gurteen yesterday another sub 10c for the limited collection of Sept under 10s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Looks like it just about managed to stay under 10C as it rose to 9.8C at 0900 this morning (remember official climatology daily stats are from 09-09 whilst the Met site is 00-00).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5 Rain from the West

Some flooding on the Castletown Road in Dundalk this morning. The road has been reopened in the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Thunder87

Met Eireann showing 90-100% chance of heavy rain in Dublin all morning and afternoon, so far other than a few spits of rain this morning it's been dry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Bit of a swing and miss to the south of us this morning. Looks like we're waiting for the whole system to start sinking south.

Still pouring rain here in Meath, has to be some localised flooding by this stage.

Same here in South Wicklow, it's a damp day with the odd spits of rain but there's still not so much as a breeze here. Although as I type the rain looks to be picking up a little here. The worst wasn't forecast to hit this area until later this evening though as the system started moving southwards, but I don't think we're going to get the totals now that were initially showing.

The nowcast model is still going for heavy rain over the Dublin mountains between 5-9, but mainly showing 1-2mm per hour generally for the region until later tonight.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Turned very windy now in Greystones in the last 30 minutes.

Beautiful day

It has been below 10c all day, since about 7pm yesterday. Currently 8c, knock at 7c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Very windy, North Wicklow. Sea looked like it was boiling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Rugbyf565

This is depressing wow. We must be getting the washout Central Europe got last week.

The sea is crazy (in Greystones)! Gusting 40 knots and with a NE wind/good fetch = big waves.

Just saw a video there looks wild. Hardly a breeze in Rathdrum although I'm somewhat sheltered from north winds. Rain is fairly coming down now though.

It's been raining here in Meath for over 30 hours at this point, some flooding around the country roads and garden starting to waterlog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

Ah well always a silver lining to this muck weather, football training was cancelled so instead I spent the last two hours putting away the last of the summer clothes and taking down the winter ones.

All set now🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

We were due a lot of rain. Exceptionally dry September at many stations. Mace Head only had 12mm up until today. It had 150mm last September. Dunsany has only recorded 20mm of rain in September whereas it got over 100mm last September. Apart from August it was a dry May-Sept in contrast to LTAs.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Rougies

Absolutely dire all day in Wexford, as was yesterday. Heavy rain most of the day with some torrential downpours, and now a howling gale although the rain has abated a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Just looking at the direction of the rain coming off the Irish sea today….Imagine this was Dec/Jan 😳

Advertisement