Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New drivers paying €2k for someone to sit the theory test for them

• 26-09-2024 5:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭
    M

It's no wonder the standard of driving has gone to complete sh!te in this country if you have new drivers willing to pay someone €2k to sit the theory test for them.

To be clear this is the theory test, computer based, 40 questions in 45 minutes, you have to answer 35 correct to pass 😔…

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

It's literally the easiest part of the test. I presume he's going to pay someone to do his test for him as well? Asshat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

This is mostly done by people who don’t have the language skills to pass the test. Poor effer is probably in debt to some gangster for this fee too.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Would English and Irish be the only two languages you can do the test in yeah?

Probably. Sadly, the literacy level with some undocumented people and people trafficked into Ireland would be quite low too even if they had English.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That's just utterly stupid. I done the theory test 3 times, failed only once and it was still cheaper than this. Madness.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

€2,000?

I would have done that for €500. He was robbed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

How would undocumented or trafficked people even get a license?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Raichų

not an excuse.

We offer a Voiceover in the following languages:

• Albanian
    • Arabic
    • Bengali
    • Chinese Simplified
    • Dari
    • French
    • Georgian
    • Irish
    • Lithuanian
    • Pashto
    • Persian
    • Polish
    • Portuguese Brazilian
    • Romanian
    • Russian
    • Slovak
    • Somali
    • Spanish
    • Turkish
    • Urdu

Pure unadulterated stupidity coupled with a healthy dose of fcuking laziness. Theory test is probably the most basic exam imaginable and I know plenty who would have English difficulties who had no problem passing their test. In fact, when I sat mine, I ran into a chef I worked with who was from Sri Lanka. He got 38/40!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

We only have the defendants word that he paid 2k,nobody knows for sure,he was looking for sympathy I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

2k? Must be the same people who built the bike shelter in Leinster House.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

So he's come from Romania at some point, he's only 31 but has 7 previous convictions. A fine, upstanding member of society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

I seriously doubt he paid €2,000, the defense are likely just quoting a huge number to garner some sympathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Raichų

they wouldn’t is the answer. They’d get something adjacent to a licence I’m sure but plastic card with fake details does not a licence make.

It is in the realms of Hollywood only to have a fake licence registered to ndls. There’s no point carrying around a fake licence as the Gardai can scan it with their mobility app to check its validity.

I also suspect you’ll have bigger problems being undocumented if stopped at a checkpoint than a drivers licence. Your man here could sat his theory test 35 times for the money he spent and still had some money left over to pay the €35 fee for a bloody learner permit and a few euro for L plates.

You actually couldn’t make this up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭StormForce13

Presumably our Romanian guest was able to avail of "free" legal aid - I wonder how much that cost us.

And, given his 7 previous convictions, I also wonder whether this was the 8th time that we (the Irish taxpayer) have paid for his lawyer. What a great country 🙄

Post edited by StormForce13 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭sham58107

Something dodgy with reporting here. After passing theory test you get a learner permit , not a license, that GS found in house raid, so still cannot drive without full license holder .Was this during Covid ?

I did a theory test for a D license last year and security was stricter than airport , even a hand held scanner and ID was checked at least 3 times, even though I have a full C and C1 license and work ID and national identity card .

Had a friend years ago now a high ranking Garda who did test for people ,this was before picture on license.

How did they get around ID photos in this case ?

H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

When my wife moved over from England 25 years ago someone in her work offered her a full driver's license for £400, he told she would even put on the system. Don't know whether he was BSing because she declined but €2000 seems ridiculous for a learners permit.

Advertisement