Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread 2024/25 - Teamtalk/Transfers/Gossip Mod Note in OP 26.09.24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

home to leicester in 4th round of league cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I said Halloween at the start of the season, I'm still pretty confident. Next international break he could be under serious pressure.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Where's the positivity train gone?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

it was a fake train, beating a league 1 side and relegation certainties had some people in deludo land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I think a sharp dose of reality derailed it.

Who'd have thought not really changing anything other than the people in the positions wouldn't suddenly make the formation work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

we thought the train was going North but it appears to be on a loop and maybe heading South 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Tom1991

The positivity train wasnt a train at all it was a monorail and that win against barnsley was the catchy song ….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

But the midfield's still all soft and broken - SHUT UP TOM, the real fans have spoken!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Quags

If Ten Hag goes this season, who would you be looking for?

Couple of online bookies have Southgate fav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

Doubtful. Spurs aren't exactly flying. Utd will probably get three points against them, Bruno, rash and the back5 will be world class.

Then, be muck in the next two games, both away. Probably disasters. But he'll survive the international window, with brentford at home. The cycle continues.

The nonsense after the southamton and barnsley games was infuriating.

Spurs are going to create a lot of chances against United.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Dreadful performance again, against a very average team. Utd's record in Europe recently is abysmal, against teams who aren't that great. Bruno is a massive problem, he constantly gives the ball cheaply. Eriksen who had a good game imo was poor for the goal, but so was Maguire and Onana. Very hard to see how ETH turns it around to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭ericzeking

The lack of finishing is very frustrating, the lapses that nearly always lead to goals are very frustrating. But some of the football is really good and there have definitely been big improvements on last year. Lets just stick it out for the season.

Bruno should have been taken off last night, everything was breaking down with him. It's a worry because he appears to want to play so much that it could be delicate to drop his minutes. The sustained intricate attacks aren't really his thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

You could probably take Bruno off and leave Zirkzee behind Højlund for a better chance of a goal. The team seriously lacks structure and it’s so frustrating watching it. If we lose to Spurs on Sunday he might have to go. It would be 11th place or lower after 6 games and a negative goal difference. Hoping for a win of course but it’s going to be looking fairly bleak if we lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I think Potter could be worth a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

It's exhausting at this stage.

Are the comments worth reading into from Eirksen about the it was obvious the opoponents just wanted it more, or something along those lines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Jofspring

That's an awful list of other options to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Caustic

If we end up with Southgate I give up anyways,.time to find a new sport. Not exactly an inspiring list either.

Id probably give it to McKenna from that list

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭cosatron

what i find amusing since i started following united that every time we go through a rough spell even with Ferguson, the oppositions goalkeepers have the games of their lives against us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I wouldn't be blown away by the prospect of him as manager, but I'd be tempted by a bet at 25/1. Thought he'd be a lot shorter odds.

Also the positivity,negativity crap is the most childish **** I've read in a long time **** hell.

If you are negative all the time you will be called negative,.if you are positive all the time you wil be called deluded.

If people want to enjoy a win they should that's the reason we watch sport, if people want to look at the bigger picture and are unable to enjoy anything until the manger is sacked that also fine.

But what's going on today is incredibly childish.

I'm not 100% sure tbh..the failings for me anyways were sloppiness or disconnection between the players in the final third. And at times we were getting played through a bit easy although it was defended well enough on the final line..

Maybe he meant the intensity of our play, because in the last 10 minutes we actually looked decent in attack passing it around nicely and paying quickly but that may have been Twente changing formation and getting tired more then anything.

We needed to see more of that throughout the game and im not entirely sure why we didn't. Who should set the tempo on the pitch?

When you are told it's a new dawn every few months for 11 years and the same thing keeps happening, worse every time, at what point do you realise that there is no dawn coming.

This is the same as it was under LVG. Only with even worse results and less defensive stability. Garnacho is the Januzaj. Bruno is the Rooney. McTominay was the Fellaini but he's gone. Many other parallels can be drawn but it has now been allowed to go on longer than under LVG.

That was the last time I was this negative about a manager. With José and with Ole you could at least see some semblance of a plan and improvement in some players. This guy is now hiding behind young players just like LVG did. Will pluck a few more out of the U23s after a few injuries and make further excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

We wont move forward as a team while he remains the focal point of it. Sick of saying it, and I don't blame him, ETH needs to realise that a guy that gave the ball away 34 times against Palace and 19 times last night, shouldn't be given the free reign has is given.

I also think it'll be Ruud in charge fairly soon. I think Ruud coming in was the new guys call rather than an ETH call. No way ETH would bring in a guy that could possibly replace him. I think ineos expected (like a fair amount of us) that ETH wouldnt last the season and Ruud was seen as someone who could caretake if needed.

Absolutely no one said it was a new dawn though people were happy with two good wins one against shite opposition but still something we hadn't done. People can be happy with a wins or wins and hope it continues though.

Before I get into the rest of your post I was simply replying about all the posters who were baiting about positivity it was childish simple as and a **** read tbh post an opinion on the game like you do at least it's something to talk about.

I will say garnacho being referred to as januzi is crazy he is our top goal scorer this season from way less minutes then anyone, strikes a ball lovely, his build up is decent and he actually makes good runs and gets chances and he is still really young. You posted that video after the Brighton game of rashford making "good" runs but Garnacho actually does it's why he is always getting chances from the position Rashford has struggled from the same position.

I don't care if you are negativity about the manager or anyone is I've plenty of negativity for him myself, just the nonsense that was posted. Adds nothing to the thread that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Sloppy is the word that summed up last night for me. Any good play up front was killed off by bad passing, poor decision making, or just bad attempts on goal. Eriksen messed up for their goal, but their player had just run through 3(?) players and avoided a disgraceful attempt at a tackle by Maguire. He should have been stopped long before it even got to Eriksen.

I like Bruno, but he's in bad form at the minute and has done more harm than good for at least the last 2 games. He should have come off before Zirkzee and Rashford. The subs had no real impact and IMO we looked even more toothless when they came on.

That win against Copenhagen was poxy. We played better in some of the draws then we did in that game.

Facts speak for itself, it's shocking.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mod: you make a good point.

To all posters, this thread is for discussion of Manchester United. If any poster wants to argue against another posters views they are free to do so but please stick to discussing the club, not the thread or posters.

Posting about the thread or posters is not welcome. Posting to say you don't like positivity or negativity or posting to, for example, ask where all the 'positive' or 'negative' people are is not the purpose of the thread. Posts like that will be viewed as flaming and forum warnings will apply from now on.

• Advertisement

Poxy is the word, I was at that game.

The drama from Onana's late penalty save was the only highlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

To be fair anyone posting about a new dawn or similar are referring to the change in ownership/footballing structure behind the scenes. Whatever about the manager situation, I think there are genuinely reasons to be optimistic about the future. It's a bit of a red herring comparing the situation under ETH to the situation under any other manager post Fergie. Your parallels are a bit out there as well, Garnacho the new Januzaj is certainly a different take anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Picture looks like a deer lost in the headlights.

INEOS should of sacked him during the summer, here's INEOS coming in with a fresh start with fresh faces but yet took an absolute age to decide on what to do with ETH but chickened out making the hard decision and worse they offered him a new contract.

I get it there wasnt really a great selection of managers out there BUT you're telling me none are better than ETH?

I don't think the issue is that there aren't any better than ETH. It's that they are only a wee bit better.

Lets say ETH is a 5/10 manager. If there are no 9/10 or 10/10 managers available, why bother changing ETH for someone who's maybe a 7/10?

It would be an improvement, yes. But not good enough.

That's why I think the most likely option is ETH sacked before Christmas, RVN in til the end of the season. He's unlikely to be worse, and would be a short term deal rather than appointing another 6 or 7/10 manager who'll just continue the cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

God be with the days I spent half a working week in here arguing with Pro. F about Januzaj being useless.

I predicted a similar season as last season or well maybe not 8th but if anyone thought we would finish top 4 they need their head checked.

Improvements but unless you score or cut out silly mistakes it means nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

---

Post edited by Nalz on

• Advertisement

There was a new footballing structure under Woodward every year or 2nd year. It's what happens on the pitch that matters. If not for Klopp Liverpool would have remained a team that was fighting for the Europa League places most likely, even if they'd signed Salah. United were happy to double down on what's not working for this season and the cycle will just start again.

All the talk about it taking 3-5 years to fix is all well and good if you think there are going to be good players still at the club then and a manager to get the best out of them. No other top team has to put up with these waits to be successful while spending nearly the most money.

You don't see the parallels between Garnacho and Januzaj? Both brought through the youths as a great new hope, made a decent initial impact, badly coached so that all of their flaws are over indulged and not reach their potential. I may yet obviously be proven wrong on this for Garnacho and I do like his work ethic especially and a new manager could make all the difference.

There is a book out recently enough called how to win the premier league by Ian Graham, he was or is the data science guy at Liverpool and if you want to know what and how much went into Liverpool's rise it's all in the first few chapters (not a book I thought I'd be recommending in a united thread) and I can tell you it was a hell of a lot more then just getting klopps, he may have elevated them to winning things but there is no way they'd just be a Europa league team if they hadn't got him.

Of all the examples you could give Liverpool is probably the worst example you could give to back up your point.

The book is also available on Spotify for free if you are a have a subscription.

Interesting but annoying listen as a united fan as it really highlights how badly united were run under woodward and glazers even more then normal

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭GolfPar

Another baffling substitution last night trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

Mount coming on to replace Rashford, leaves Garnacho moving to the left and Bruno out to the right.

Rashford was possibly our best attacking threat last night. Bruno needed to be replaced with a like for like substitution for Mount and leave Rashford and Garnacho out wide.

More baffling substitutions from ETH when trying to win a game.

Yeah they sold Coutinho who was not a fit for the manager's style for 130m because of the anomaly Neymar transfer and used the money to buy the most expensive defender and most expensive goalkeeper ever. Without that they don't get there Klopp or no Klopp.

They also only won it once so writing a guide book on it is a bit of a reach but with the club involved not overly surprising.

One isnt meant to take the title as a literal guide, it's just the catchy title,.the book isn't just about Liverpool they go into brentford and Brighton, its essentially how data has been used in football.

And they talk about the luck involved in the Counthino deal. But that money was used well due to the systems in place at the club.

It wasn't one thing that got them to where it was it was the whole club pulling in the one direction and the manger was in fact the final piece of the jigsaw not the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

The book is not about Liverpool. Its actually a great read for anyone remotely interest in what happens behind the scenes at major sports organisations, and what can go right and go wrong. I though UTD fans would be all over this considering how things have gone on at their club the last few years.

Also there's more to it than just buying the most expensive players at the time. If that was the case UTD would be winning major silverware year on year considering their spending the last few years.

• Advertisement

Athletic tweet:

Manchester United chief executive Omar Berrada has told staff that the aim is to win the Premier League title in 2028, for the 150th anniversary of the club being formed.

Berrada, who officially joined from rivals Manchester City in June, addressed employees during a meeting at Old Trafford last Wednesday and mapped out the ambitions shared by Sir Jim Ratcliffe and the football hierarchy.

Berrada informed staff of “Project 150” — so called because it coincides with the major milestone of United’s existence. The club was founded, as Newton Heath, in 1878, before changing its name to Manchester United in 1902.

https://x.com/TheAthleticFC/status/1839344748517040410

Swear to god these comments always back fire on us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I like that he is framing the target in terms of winning the PL, rather than finishing top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Well if the aim was to crack the top 4 in 4 years time they should all be sacked.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

In 4 years time Yoro is either a bust or eyeing up his Madrid move fantastic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement