Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

1328329330331332334»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,368 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The brexiteer lot are complaining that because the EU is checks notes controlling their borders, that Christmas supplies to the the UK may be affected. Do they seriously not hear what they are saying out loud ? At the risk of all of us repeating ourselves here, the UK voted to leave the EU and that included the customs union and the single market. Again they left of their own accord. So can they stop **** complaining about something they did on their own ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,608 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They didn't actually vote to leave the customs union or single market. In fact several leading Brexiteers promised that one, or the other, or both would not happen.

Well… the electorate didn't vote to leave CU or SM. Parliament did.

Scrap the cap!

I suppose we could sum it up as

"Who knew that putting up trade barriers would present barriers to trade?"

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Do we really need to drag all this up again? It's been 8 years. It doesn't matter at this point. The UK is out, Farage is finally an MP after nearly 10 attempts and nobody is seriously talking about fixing the damage, ie becoming an EU member.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Apparently we do, if we have posters saying that leaving the EU means inevitably leaving the CU and SM 😉

Not only did they choose to leave, their parliament chose to leave in the most damaging way possible.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We don't. It's done and time travel is impossible. There is no going back. The whole thing was so vague that I can see that voting leave meant remaining in both the CU and SM while someone else could argue for leaving both and we'd both be right and wrong. There's nothing more to it than that.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭rock22

@ancapailldorcha "

The UK is out, … and nobody is seriously talking about fixing the damage, ie becoming an EU member."

The British government is very seriously talking about fixing the damage because the only route to economic recovery is closer ties to the UK's nearest market, i.e. the EU. That is why Starmer is heading to Brussels next week to talk with the EU Commission.

Whether you acknowledge it or not, Brexit will never be done, because the affects will continue to impact on the UK and there will always be attempts to mitigate, as much as possible, the damages.

I accept that Starmer and the Labour party could not be explicit about re-joining the EU during an election but either this government , or a future government, will have to face up to the reality that economic growth will involve some sort of closer relationship.

From the article:

The prime minister will meet Ursula von der Leyen in Brussels on Wednesday. However, it comes with home secretary Yvette Cooper still vehemently opposed to an agreement that would allow young people to move more freely between Europe and the UK – a measure that EU diplomats regard as key to unlocking more serious talks in the spring.

The EU’s ambassador to the UK, Pedro Serrano, recently appeared to put forward a relatively narrow youth mobility scheme that would allow young Europeans to spend a gap year in Britain more easily, and vice versa. A more comprehensive deal was rejected out of hand by Starmer, leaving officials in Brussels unsure about how serious the UK really is about beefing up its EU links.

I'm glad there is communication and I respect that the Home Secretary, Yvette Cooper is under great pressure to limit migration but if something this small can't be agreed, how will there be any progress? The UK government, true to form, can't decide what it wants itself. That said, I may be proven wrong and we'll see real progress. If not, London and Brussels meeting cordially can only be a good thing.

Brexit is done. It was done on the 30th January 2020. It is objectively done. What have now is the relationship between the UK and its closest neighbours as well as the one between London and Brussels. One of the main things preventing open discussion about rejoining is the lack of a serious movement. Brexit had at least one and it was deeply entrenched in both the media and the Conservative party. Without it, I can't see the UK applying for membership soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,633 ✭✭✭yagan

The Brexit mandate this UK government has is to not talk about Brexit.

They can go to Brussels but the best I can see happening is a sectoral agreement in which no EU businesses are impacted. Even in the weapons industry the Ukraine invasion has shaken EU governments to increase production, and they won't give the UK a leg up if there's no greater EU alignment involved.

Advertisement