Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread 2024/25 - Teamtalk/Transfers/Gossip Mod Note in OP 26.09.24

1878889909193»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Cool, so your idea is we should never buy players that have the potential to be good. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kerplun k

The only thing I can think of is that they seen this season as a write off. It’s slim pickings at the moment, so line up someone now for when we are in better shape, and shave a year of what you’re gonna pay ETH when he finishes up. I dunno.

I was convinced he was gone in May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Hope we don't win it before that, it would take the gloss of the 150th

even if you think the season is gonna be a write off - why wouldn't you get a new manager in and give them the season to build rather than let the current manager continue to flounder and THEN ask a new guy to fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

maybe theres players with potential that don't already cost 60m?

Or maybe and much more importantly stick to signing players with potential who actually fill the many gaping holes currently in the squad?

betweeen last summer and the coming summer we were/are likely to lose Varane, Lindelof, Maguire, Evans. Leaving us with, from the base, Martinez.

Are you actually arguing that if the club is doing a 4/5 year plan they shouldn't be thinking year 2/3/4 in that plan?
    Are you arguing that Yoro is not a good signing in that 'more than just this season' plan?

If they are building towards competing in 3 years, winning in 4/5 then why not consider you will need to sign 2 or 3 CBs over the next two seasons so if one you REALLY want is getting now, then get him?

Has DeLigt retired? Yoro is a 60m back up to DeLigt and Martinez.

I've generally agreed with you in the summer that we needed a striker, a RW and maybe another CM. And you are now changing to try and claim it was better to spend 60m on a back up that may become world class rather than 2 players that would adress a more urgent need at say 30m?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

You have heard of rotation? In 99 we had 4 class forwards, it's what the best clubs do, just look at City.

Rotation generally doesn't include the CB's or GK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

I was calling for ETH to be sacked after last season irrespective of winning the FA cup but other posters were asking for him to be kept on. To not finish top 4 with the money that has been spend and the talent at his disposal this season would be criminal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i just found out fc twente are a 4th seed team in the europa league 😓

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kerplun k

The options were terrible, the demand was high, the choices were limited, that’s a bad combination if you’re in the market for a new manager.

It’s the only logical explanation I can come up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

If the aim is to be a top 4 side, they should all be sacked.

So we should only have two quality CBs. Two first choice CBs and then whatever gomers we dredge up?
    Are you CERTAIN of Martinez long term? Do you think he has some injury potential? Do you think his performances have been quality this season? Do you think there is no cause for concern over him being long term first choice? Are you CERTAIN of MDL? No concerns over him?

No, i am not changing my tune on the RW, ST, CM. We got a CM (i'd have liked another). We got a ST (Zirkzee). I'd have liked a RW. I would have liked some more signings, I personally would have only bought one cb. But I don't see that as good enough justification to call the Yoro signing crazy when (1) we will need to sign more than 1 CB over last summer and next (possibly 3 in total). I think we are going to need to sign another CB next summer. If not two. (Martinez, MDL, Yoro, 4th choice, 5th choice)

Would I have done differently in the summer? Yep. Would I have signed different players or profiles? Yes. Does that mean I should criticise all the signigns we did make?

I also don't believe not signing Yoro would have resulted in us signing a 2nd striker. I don't think there was a RW the club like after Olise went. I think not signing yoro would have result in his not signing Yoro, and MAYBE McTominay staying. Which is another reason i don't criticise it.

The club did sign a striker, and while its still early days, Amad seems to be emerging on the RW. And they signed Yoro.

What 30 goals a season striker was gettable this summer for 30 million?

How many games each did Martinez, Maguire, Varane, Evans, Lindelof play last season?
    In 99 - Johnsen played 36, Stam 50, Berg 28, May 9, Curtis 7, Neville and Brown 71 between them (so iirc Neville played CB a bit).
    Who played CB for Liverpool last season? City?
    The idea rotation doesn't happen at CB is insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I’m hoping Yoro becomes a first choice standard. I don’t think you win a league with Martinez, as much as I love a lot about him, he is quite mistake prone. It doesn’t seem to get talked about as much, probably because he’s a fan favourite due to the good things he does and his fighter attitude - which is probably fair enough to a point. Maguire and Martinez are good options to be backup in that scenario.

A lot of the people who would defend the Yoro signing are the same people who say we should only sign players who want to play for us. There was an alternative here. Try and agree a deal with him for a free transfer in January. If he chose someone else, fine. You no longer have your player who wasn’t very interested in the first place and you move onto another target.

For me, £60m on Yoro is the signing you make when you have a strong 11 and you can afford to use your resources on having replacements ready for a few years down the line. Similar to the Højlund signing. I’d prefer adding potential on top of a solid foundation instead of the hybrid mix we have now that is messy in places (especially left back and centre forward) and potential. I thought it was looking better but I don’t know anymore (last night was depressing to watch bar 30 seconds) and as another poster put it, it’s exhausting.

Also on the topic of 5 centre backs and needing to sign 2 more in the summer. There isn’t anything to suggest Maguire will be going is there? Surely there will be someone in the U21’s at centre back to be the 5th option to replace the role Evans has, which should never have been as big as it was last season.

Maguire will be going next summer, if not before. His contract expire in the summer of 2025 and I cannot see any grounds for offering him a new one. He might even be sold in the winter if any sort of fee comes in and the much maligned Yoro shows he can deputise when needed.

As for defending the Yoro signing, lets remember the initial criticism of it was that it was a classic Woodward signing. Which it clearly isn't. Or that it somehow blocked a 30 goal a season striker being signed, which it also didn't.

• Advertisement

OK Yoro is magnificent value and is our most important signing. There was absolutely no better way that money could have been spent.

I best remember to not question the clubs fantastic transfer business again.

You can question it but come up with better excuses than "we don't need to rotate CBs"

Glad you've finally come round on such a reasonable argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Feels like there's going to be goals galore on Sunday judging from both teams defense

Vicario will turn into prime Oliver Kahn as standard, and with the state of our attack/Bruno we'll be lucky to get 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

A lot of games this season

Can see DeLigt and Martinez for Spurs. Midfield of Mainoo, Ugarte & probably Fernandes. He needs a rest for sure but the cameo of Mount, they'll be a change hopefully at some stage. Would start mount in a 10 even.

Rashford left and Garna opposite and down the middle will be Zirkzee with a Rasmus change about 60mins.

Garna for Amad because Amad could do with 60mins off and a change needed for impact like used with Garna.

There's a huge amount of games this season with a lot of first teamers having only 2 weeks offdue to internationals.

Big block of 3 games coming up for the club and another 2 wee break where most are travelling to international duty.

The scheduling is a bit fucky for everyone the last few years

• Advertisement

You should get onto Arteta to break up the Saliba/Gabriel partnership ASAP.

Its adequate given the complete 180 that happened regarding this summers transfer dealings. Now its all part of a perfect plan so why you were complaining all summer is odd but whatever.

Cool, we should just tell the players to be great, never injured and that we should go out of the domestic comps early. This squad management stuff is easy, eh.

So you just didn't actually read what I said fine. Where I said I'd have done different things. That I would have liked some of the different positions. Cool. We'll leave it there cause you can't be bothered.

Advertisement