Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cooker extractor hood

• 26-09-2024 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

I have a Belling single motor extractor. It's less than a year old and not used all that much really. It extracts to the outside through a short ducting... approx two feet at most. It is 75 cm from cooker top. The fitting instructions say 65cm to 75cm

The wall between cooker to and the fan gets very wed while cooking ie steamer veg etc.

Any suggestions on how I can make this fan more efficiently......

Thanks....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I assume you mean cm instead of mm, it might just be the replaceable filter needs to be changed.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭me4many

Yep..cm.

Very seldom used so filters a still like new...and they are the washable type when needed..

I can lower the whole fan/hoof down to 70 cm but it's a bit of work and am wondering if it would make a big difference...

These appliances are not very efficient anyway (in my humble opinion) but they should be able to take away a bit of steam...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

A lot of them have 3 fan speeds. Does yours, and are they all poor?

Yes three speeds...

It works a little better as you increase the speed....but the noise also increases...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I'd say double check the filter, one splash of oil could block it.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Two things:

A fan's extraction capability is only as good as it's exhaust capacity. Have a look at the fan exhaust and make sure that it's not blocked and is free-flowing. Something like this is best as it opens the whole exhaust path.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/manrose-flap-vent-white-100mm-x-100mm/18561

Secondly, if the wall is cold and bare then it's going to condense more water on it. If not already fitted, fit a backsplash and you might that it improves things slightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭mulbot

Can you check the top of extractor-should be 5 inch, though you might find it's a reducer fitted from 5 to 4 inch with the wall hole 4 inch. If that's the case you'll need to make the wall hole 5 inch and take away the reducer leaving a 5 inch to 5 inch flow.

I'll check that.

I know the hole in the wall is fitted with a 4" pipe . I can't get to the top of the extractor at the moment but I'm pretty sure I can see a reducer on top on the extractor. I'll verify that tomorrow..

Would that make a big difference.?

Tks

Hold on... check the exhaust vent first as even if it's 4in, you'll probably get better performance with a good exhaust flap than you would with a 5in vent and the same crap vent flap.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭twignme

I would recommend you turn on your extractor at least five minutes before you start cooking so the air is already being drawn through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Either replace the extractor fan for a model with quieter fan with high CFM capacity or just suck it up literally with higher & noisier fan speed.

A steamer is going to generate a lot of water vapour that your fan on lowest setting can't cope with.

I replaced my cheap fan with model from IKEA which is considerably quieter & more powerful

Post edited by ongarite on

What now does priming the extractor do that just turning it on on-demand not do, please?

I wouldn’t set myself up as an expert on this, but it’s my belief that the air which is extracted has to come from somewhere, just like positioning a vent in a room for a fire. By turning it on earlier, the circulation has begun and the air is being drawn from the room, over the cooking surface and into the vent, ready to take the steam with it. I can’t back this up with anything other than it works for me.

I think that you're talking about setting up the air flow in a circular motion along a horizontal axis (so flowing from ceiling to back wall to floor to extractor) beforehand. I get what you're saying, and that works for heating a room, but it's not what we're looking for here as the extractor should just pull the rising heated air straight off the hob along with the embodied moisture without needing the airflow within the room to partake in the whole operation.

I understand what you are saying, thank you. My question would be why is it recommended to use the volume of the room to calculate the extraction rate of the fan you need? I’m just curious where all that extracted air is coming from, if not the room?

The vent in the wall outside is one of those metal grill types...it's been there about 30 years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Advertisement