Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUAS Network + Future Expansion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,610 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I think most of us don't have to worry about Dart Underground being built in our lifetimes!

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Well yes but we don't know if we'll ever get Dart underground

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If we don't get DU, then it would be very unlikely that we would get a East - West Metro tunnel either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If they're going to build a big plaza in College Green I think a Luas line going through it would greatly hamper the utility of it. The Luas is fairly loud if you're right beside it.

Beyond the loudness of it, they are going to want to be able to close it off for events like we saw with the College Football game in Dublin. That already caused too much disruption to the Luas lines, if one assumes we will actually make use of the plaza then we need events not to shut off public transport. I think an east-west line through the green is asking for trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,487 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I somehow think that a commuter line has a greater priority than a plaza for events. We could use Newmarket Square as a Plaza, or Smithfield, there are other possible locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭OisinCooke

I do see Luas Lucan continuing on to connect Ringsend/Irishtown as being the best way to connect those places to the Luas network. Running the Red Line back across the Liffey seems pointless and a bit of a roundabout way to do it…

Some posters have made very very good points about College Green, and I think that while it would be excellent to have a Luas Line through it and along Dame Street, if it has to be closed, it’ll only cause more confusion and delay, as our good friend the Fat Controller would say…

The Cork Street - Stephens Green option seems the best idea for Luas Lucan, (I’ll be honest, I really hate the Canal idea) and it actually provides a much better interchange with the Green Line rather than passengers having to walk to Westmorland from College Green to head into town. However it would make no sense to stop Lucan trams at Stephens Green if that was the end of the line as they would need turnback time which would hamper existing Green Line services. The question then stands, where do you go from Stephen’s Green?

One option is to run it along the Green Line as far as Trinity and turn it across towards Pearse Street and head straight to Irishtown and on to Ringsend from there (Townsend Street could be used instead to link with Metro and not only DART and then run it down Sandwith St Lower and back onto Pearse Street)

Another option is to continue east on Stephens Green north (follow the current tram siding) and follow Baggot Street to the Canal, turn onto Haddington Road, through Beggars Bush and into Ringsend via Bath Ave. this has the added bonus of not doubling the DART corridor along Pearse and having an Aviva Stadium station too however there is no direct DART connection and I’m not sure how feasible it really is land and road-take-wise…

College Green would be ideal but if not a possibility than other options will have to be looked at…

Sure, but the entire point of College Green pedestrianisation is to make it a central plaza - there is a reason it has been the centre of events such as the football and presidential visits etc. The point of it is not to be a giant transport interchange

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I get where you are coming from, but I'm not sure I agree, the city is in desperate need of spaces like this.

But putting that aside, I'm surprised no one has considered how complex it would be to cross the Green line here without causing chaos and disruption to the Greenline.

The Red Line and Green Line crossing on OCS already create a lot of issues, complexity and delays, now you are adding a second crossing to the Green Line.

And it is even more Complex then on OCS, as the Green line is split between Westmoreland St and Hawkin Street, this line would have to negotiate a College Green Plaza, cross the Green line north bound tracks, run alongside the Green line southbound tracks and then cross the southbound Green line Luas tracks!

Now keep in mind a mess of pedestrians and cyclists in the area and it seems a horribly complex junction, that could badly impact the green line.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭spillit67

Red Line to Poolbeg is not pointless.

Connectivity to the new Spencer Dock station, the Green Line and Metro at O’Connell Street is pretty good. Alongside that, direct connection to the IFSC etc.

Who knows as well, we could end up with the existing infrastructure split eventually such that you could get a Luas from Poolbeg to St Stephen’s Green direct.

I will say that the northside will effectively have two E-W alignments in the core. Meanwhile the southside will zilch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,487 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It happens all the time in Amsterdam, and that have routes that criss-cross and change, so you could get Lucan-Dundrum for example and Broombridge-Ringsend, as well as the existing ones.

• Advertisement

Keep in mind Amsterdam has 5 metro lines acting as the backbone of their transport network. Their tram lines are smaller and much less frequent and are largely used the same way we use buses.

Their 14 tram lines carry 113 million passengers while just our two Luas lines carry 48 million. In aggregate their network carries many and is great, but on a per line basis, they carry far less then Luas.

As I mentioned above, our two Luas lines carry more passengers then two of the Amsterdams Metro lines!

I think people underestimate how high spec and high capacity our Luas is and how it is more “Metro lite” then “street tram” common in some older European cities. And that does have a big impact on design and complexity of operations.

55m long trams, the longest in the world, carrying 300 people every 3 minutes per direction, crossing one another at a possible 45 second frequency is not a minor matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 PlatformNine

I think the yellow line is the most likely, but with I think it would be extended all the way up Sean Moore Road to terminate with the Red line after Luas Poolbeg. Though I would hope it would run south of ssg with either an elevated or cut and cover so it avoids a junction with the green line.

In general our trams are fairly long. Looking at other Citadis or even Siemens Avenio and CAF Urbos customers, 30-35m seems to be a very common number, making even the red line trams at 44m seem long but at least not uncommon. But our 55m green line are truly a beast, only surpased by (from what I can find) some countries which link trams together (similair to what we do with the 3+4 unit 22Ks for heavy rail) and Budapest with 56m trams (sadly it looks like these went into service before the 402s were extended to 502s).

But I can't see TII building any new lines that aren't capable of using 55m trams, and I imagine they have some plan on how to lengthen all the red line platforms in the distant future (last I checked the new red line fleet is planned as being 44m), but stations like Busaras are making it difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

The Busáras stop could be moved around the corner of Store Street, to before the Garda station. This section of the street is longer, has no junctions, and would be closer to Busáras itself. I suspect this was the original choice of location, but the hotel may have objected to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Are there any detailed drawings or road maps of that Knocklyon line?

Nope, at the moment only a high level maps have been published, to give people an idea of what they are thinking of, the high level strategy, no detailed plans have been publicly published.

I suspect these plans will change as they get into detailed planning, there are some obvious parts left out of these maps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

When you say high level map- is that the one you posted or is there a more detailed one?

I dont think they want to move the platform too far from Connolly (not that its that far just being an interchange for the stop would ideally be very close). However I think the main reason the station isn't there is becuase it could restrict the Busaras entrance. To put a platform there would make it harder for busses to enter the station, or it could lead to congestion between busses and trams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭scrabtom

Paragraph that might be of interest to you. It seems recently they have decided a Luas is feasible based off those maps but who knows.

Just the ones from the latest GDA and the vision 2050.

I'd sum the overall strategy as, "turn the BusConnects routes into Luas lines"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

In general our trams are fairly long.

Some would almost say too long. Ideally we'd have more frequent shorter trams, but I suspect even LUAS are suffering from a driver shortage?

Or is it a council-based thing that they don't want the transit corridors clogged up with trams?

At a 3 minute frequency at peak hours, they are already pretty much at maximum frequency for a non automated, non fully segregated tram system.

If you want more frequent that that, then you are talking Metrolink.

So if you put shorter trams on it, you just end up with less capacity as you really can't do more frequency even if shorter, the real constraint is crossing junctions and traffic lights.

BTW there are plans to do 2 minute frequency on the Green line, but only on the Southern end of the line between Sandyford and Charlemont and only with them closing all the crossings to make it fully segregated, which shows what is needed for higher frequencies.

I couldn't put it better than BK if I tried. Frequency can't be increased without some major upgrades first so there is no "shorter trams but higher frequency" just lower frequency. But also an important point people keep missing, our tram system isn't X countries tram system. The best vehicle for our tram system is the one that fits our tram system's design. Ours is designed around long high capacity and high frequency trams, and large portions of our system are grade separated because of it. So that's what we buy, like other's have said it is more of a metro-lite or RT-lite than it is like many other countries' tram systems.

Ah that makes more sense. I was wondering how they would get the green line to 30tph without bringing the red line to a standstill at Abbey street. I do wonder how that is going to work though, from my memory SSG was always one of the busiest stops. I suppose if it is just a few extra trams and they aren't replacing existing Broombridge or Parnell services it can only increase capacity? At the very least it should decrease journey times between Sandyford and Charlemont, and help prepare the line for the metro upgrade if it ever happens.

Ah that makes more sense. I was wondering how they would get the green line to 30tph without bringing the red line to a standstill at Abbey street. I do wonder how that is going to work though, from my memory SSG was always one of the busiest stops.

There is a document about it online, but going off memory, I think they were suggesting building a turn back at both Charlemont and SSG, so SSG would get increased frequency too, but just not the full 30tph that Charlemont would get.

Of course folks can swap to Metrolink at Charlemont, so perhaps that would also help take some pressure off SSG.

With Metrolink in place, I think we will see the Green line acting less as the backbone of North to South PT in Dublin as it does today and instead more like supporting Metrolink. Like if someone is going from say Sandyford to Parnell St, I'd say they will switch to Metrolink as soon as they can, rather then stay on the slower street running sections of the Green line through the city center.

Parts of Green can easily handle 30tph, but the central section definitely cannot. But - and I promise this is the last time I’ll harp on about my idea for new short segments - one way to address the capacity mismatch in the medium term (i.e., until Metro subsumes the Harcourt St Line section of Green) would be to provide multiple routes for Green trams through the city centre: the alternative is for many of the trams along the faster stretches to stop at the edge of the slower city centre stretch, which is much less useful when a large number of passengers probably wanted to cross the Liffey as part of their journey.

Well the obvious solution for the Green line is for those people to swap onto Metrolink, it would get you through the city center much faster.

It is the red line and potential Lucan or other East - West lines that would be the issue. Sure, you can do the same with the East - West lines, split them in the city center, but if you have multiple crossings of the Green line, bus routes or future North - South Luas lines, you are just going to run into capacity issues with the junctions and impacting each lines services as already happens on OCS.

Of course the ultimate solution would be Dart Underground or an East - West Metro to do the same as Metrolink.

• Advertisement

That's true, in that case I guess we can really hope ML breaks ground sooner than later, and that some design for the Sandyford-Ranelagh metro upgrade/tie-in is pushed forward (where has that plan even gone?)? A replacement allignment from Harcourt to Sandyford would be required, I think the 2042 plan mentioned an allignment around UCD. Plus the metro-upgrade ever happens it might even be possible to reclaim the old allignment between Sandyford and Carrickmines and continue the metro upgrade through Bride's Glen.

Maybe but I don't think it makes a ton of sense to have all the lines funnel together only after it passes the highest density areas. I think it makes more sense to continue work on the ML-Green line tie-in to take full advantage of the capacity along the line, or just work on ways to increase capacity for other sections of the line.

For the moment, it seems converting the Greenline to Metro is on hold. Instead the plan for now seems to be to upgrade the capacity with the 30tph we mentioned earlier and with a parallel UCD line also taking strain off it.

I'm kind of hoping that when Metrolink opens, it will be so successful that people will be screaming for the Greenline upgrade to Metro, kind of like what happened with Luas Cross City.

thats probably for the best. if we get a new allignment before work starts, than at least the green line doesn't have to shut down, just that section, which with how vital it is and still will be during the ML-green line connection, it probably isn't the best idea to completely shut down that line for potentially multiple years.

Yes, any attempt to upgrade Green Line without a parallel tram route already in place would create a minimum of two years of traffic chaos (I am aware that the schedule has the line is fully closed for only 9 months, but it will be severed for three years, and forcing a 15-minute walk between disconnected stations mid-journey to the city centre will push onto bus or, worse, car instead).

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Mathematician

I'm hoping for even more, I think what we should be aiming to do when the metro is built is to keep the contractors working on the second metro, and so on for the third metro etc. That will be a lot cheaper in the long run than stoping and then starting again years later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭gjim

It's not accurate to say that trams in Amsterdam are used like buses in Dublin. Buses in Dublin are generally used for longish journeys between suburbs and the core, while the tram lines in Amsterdam are typically used for shorter journeys and provide mobility for getting around the core of the city.

Also while they have 5 metro "lines" there is a lot of alignment sharing between them so the coverage is less than you'd imagine. Still.. Dublin can only dream. Quite a bit of heavy lifting is done by heavy rail also in Amsterdam - although no interconnector - Amsterdam has terrible geology for tunnelling.

You're right that Luas is not a normal street-tram but a hybrid system maybe like some of the Stadtbahn systems.

But I don't see this as a particularly good thing - 55m trams on busy city streets are simply not a good idea. The reason we've ended up here - and I'm just repeating myself - is because of the lack of alternative radial capacity into the city so we've had to push the single central N/S tram almost to breaking point. If we had multiple tram lines bisecting the centre (an idea I recall you suggesting was crazy!), then we wouldn't need to be fooling around with 55m trams on busy city streets.

While Amsterdam does have a bunch of shorter tram lines, it also has ones which are 15 and 16km. They have been extending their old tram network and it is becoming more Luas like. Citywest and Lucan are both 15km, so very similar.

If by extra radial capacity you mean building a network like the T42 one, then fair enough. But if you are talking about a bunch of very short lines that don’t even make it to UCD or beyond Griffith Avenue, well not so much!

I mean many of the new lines in the T42 plan aren’t even that long, Clongriffin, Balgriffin, Sandyford (via UCD), Knocklyon, Blanchardstown, are all about 10km. Finglas 7km. To put that in context, you can cover 10km in 25 minutes on an e-bike!

Also I think you might be overlooking why the Greenline is 55m, it is because much of the original Greenline was built on a former rail track, thus it had a high degree of segregation which allowed for longer trams and higher speeds. A service that is more metro lite. That is why the Green line is proposed to stretch further south, it is faster and higher capacity, so can handle it.

It would be silly not to take advantage of that even with a more extensive network and say go back to the chaos of the 40m trams, all it would mean is less capacity on the route and overcrowded trams.

Of course, really the Greenline to Sandyford should be upgraded to Metro and then the remaining Greenline to Finglas etc. might get away with 40m trams, but realistically it wouldn’t make much difference, you still have relatively long vehicles negotiating many junctions in a city center.

If that is the case in terms of starting construction on the UCD line before the Sandyford Metro connection, so as to provide an alternative route into the city, I’d be very pleasantly surprised!! It’s just nuts that they expected to close arguably the busiest transit corridor in the country for even only 9 months and expect busses and the private car to take the strain so this makes far more sense.

I feel like in the grand scheme of things, Luas Sandyford (via UCD) is a relatively easy win. Very little CPO-ing will be needed as between Stephens Green, down Leeson Street, Morehampton Road and through Donnybrook, the current bus lanes can just be turned into tram lanes on either side of the road. Once at Donnybrook Bus Garage, both tracks should converge to be on the same side of the carriageway though and the Stillorgan DC should be reorganised. There is a centre grass meridian most of the way as well as grass verges on either side which can all be removed to create more road space and potentially not compromise the existing layout of a bus lane and two car lanes in each direction. However at the very worst it would be one bus lane and one car lane in each direction. Arguably there isn’t as much of a need for a bus lane with the Luas (with a Bray extension also in place) taking much of the passenger strain off of the bus services operating that route - UCD (39A) and Bray/Ballywaltrim (145) to City Centre - so two car lanes could be used instead. I do think there should be ample space for the same layout as currently though, with a bit of reorganisation of the meridians

Presumably once the new Luas line reaches the Brewery Road junction it would follow it down to a new Sandyford interchange station on the opposite side (road side) of the depot and then rise up to join the elevated section of the Green Line over the large road junction before continuing to Central Park and on through Leopardstown and toward Bray.

On a side note, I presume the Luas depot will be moved from its current Sandyford Location to one on a Greenfield site south of Brides Glen when the UCD reroute and Bray extension are taking place as I don’t see how a Luas UCD could be constructed to allow easy depot access without interfering with ML… And there’s no need for the depot to be upgraded to an ML one as they’ll have ample space in Dardistown, plus the site is far too small for a Metro depot.

Presumably it will be moved and the ML Sandyford station can be built on its site, with easy access to Blackthorne Avenue at one end of the station and access to Brewery Road and the new Green Line station at the other end…?

While I agree here as well with not having lines stretching halfway towards the canals and no further, there is a lot to be said for short interconnecting lines, ie, Heuston and James’ to College Green/Stephens Green (linking red and green) as well as other alignments that while they are short and don’t add radial capacity, they open up new parts of the city centre for trams, increase city centre capacity, and provide alternative routes for all the existing and future radial services to minimise congestion and crossover and open up flexibility. Another such route could be another North-South link between Broadstone, down Constitution Hill and onto The Liberties to connect some future northern radial route (Balgriffin/Clongriffin) with a potential future route south (Terenure/Crumlin) while also linking current tram routes, ie GL and Luas Lucan.

There should be no random stubs of lines that end on random streets inside the canals, but connectors which will not only be useful now in providing alternative routings to open up more city centre destinations or provide diversion routes (eg, the Green Line, the only north-south alignment, grinds completely to a halt whenever any sort of parade or protest or march is happening on O’Connell Street) but also will strengthen the case for opening up new radial lines, as the city centre infrastructure, arguably the most controversial and difficult bit, will already be complete and construction can just begin in the suburbs.

Absolutely. To be clear I've zero objections to more lines in the City Center, my criticism was more aimed at the "stub" lines as you well call them. It is obvious if we add a lot of radial routes, we will have to add capacity in the city center.

I've mentioned previously that I suspect the T42/50 plans don't really go into detail on extra city center lines, because of sensitivity about the bus gates on the quays, the perception of cars being banned from the city and all that. No point ruffling feathers now for lines that might be 10 to 20 years off (unfortunately), but I'm sure they are part of the plans.

BTW a suggestion that I've discussed in the past on another thread would be to route the southbound green line down O'Connell St. The advantage being better integration with the Metrolink station on OCS.

But of course leave the line at Marlboruough Street, perhasp even add a Northbound line so it can be used as a backup when their are parades/protests on OCS.

In the T42 map it also looks like the Balgriffin/Swords Road line goes down Gardiner street.

Then there is the pretty obvious suggestion of using the quays for increased East - West capacity. Turn the bus lanes on the quays into mixed Luas/Bus lines.

I’ve always been a big believer in routing both tracks of the Green Line down OCS for that exact reason, possibly combined with moving the Abbey Street stop on the Red Line to as close to OCS as possible, maybe outside the Oval Bar or PTSB and creating an actual Red and Green interchange station at OCS - seems like a nobrainier to me and I always thought they really chickened out by not running both directions of the GL down OCS from the start. A metro entrance could be added at this new OCS interchange stop too so even though the station is outside the OCS Upper stop, passengers on the Red Line can walk in an underground sheltered passage to the station from OCS Station. Similar in the way that many of London’s tube stations have entrances which are actually quite far away from the platforms but because passengers have “entered the station” the walk does not matter at all. Making passengers walk above ground up OCS would have the opposite effect, especially in the rain…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,975 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

No it couldn't, as buses have to swing out to get into Busaras.

There is not the roadspace for it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Brightlights66

To my recollection, this board has been through this discussion before.

Central areas of, say, Berlin and Helsinki, run at least 30 trams per hour, per direction, in central areas which are not fully segregated and are (obviously) not using automated systems.

On the Green Line south of Charlemont, for example, the current rate of 20 tphpd or so seems to be able to comfortably handle the present volumes.

COVID has certainly changed work patterns, and one would wonder about the sense of closing this line for what might be a considerable time - perhaps as much as two years - to provide a proposed increase in capacity well beyond what it seems is needed. The current official capacity limit on this section is 24 tphpd, and it seems pretty obvious that it is fantasyland to imagine that even that level of Green Line tram throughput would be in any way full under these new circumstances.

Replacing a LUAS between Sandyford and Charlemont with a metro will not increase speed in this section. It will increase capacity, but is there a desire for more capacity in this section?

Any replacement of LUAS with a 'metro' would involve a significant period of closure - to achieve what exactly?

And this board has also been over that running multiple lines, with much smaller trams, through brief shared spaces at 30 tph is wildly different from running them along a whole line as elements such as bunching are far less relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Brightlights66

Podge Irl, as you can see from the DART line, it'd be much easier to run just the DART line, without any pesky Enterprises or Sligo, PPT, Maynooth or Dunboyne trains crossing their path.

It is ludicrous to suggest that it is easier to run multiple intersecting lines into a common 'tram' section than it is to run a continuous 'train' along that section. That is just absurd, and I would be grateful if you point me towards such a discussion that you allege has happened on this board

Dublin has longer trams on the Green Line because it has failed to develop other competing tram lines: a city like Dresden, which I'm told is unsuitable for underground development, has tram lines everywhere, so that you're never really more than about 800 metres from a tram. Thus, they don't need to have such long trams: everywhere is covered, pretty much, and everywhere has a regular 5-10 minute service into and around that city.

But, back to the Green Line south of the canal: is more investment needed (i.e. replacing the current LUAS with a metro)? There would certainly be a period of disruption, and I think some figures will be required to see if such disruption makes sense in terms of (a) increased speed and (b) increase in needed capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Greengrass53

Have we had any decent infrastructural project since luas/ port tunnel.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

The bridge at New Ross is epic. On a lesser scale the extra runway at the airport, neither public transport obviously.

The main problem is bunching. In everywhere where they run these 30tph, what you actually get on the shared sections is multiple trams right behind each other. But because they have ultimately different routes it doesn't matter and because the trams aren't as large often two can be at the platform at the same time. Bunching on an end-to-end line with huge trams completely messes up the actual frequency and capacity on the line.

COVID and WFH are the only reason it currently isn't over capacity. Its managing for now but its often packed tram after packed tram, and as the city grows its going to be over capacity within the next few years without improvements. If the gov decided over night to immediately start building tram line after tram line, its still going to be more than a decade before we start to see improvements on that corridor, as priority will go to areas without a tram system. Even in the best case scenario the green line is going to need capacity improvement before another line/system is able to increase capacity.

Also the massive benefit of the metro extension is we have an old heavy rail allignment that is mostly segregated and is capable of a higher capacity than what a tram system is normally designed for. It doesn't make sense to not convert it to a metro and reroute the green line where it isn't possible to send a metro. It would allow for the area to grow more in the future as the public transport system will have the capacity for it.

Well Busaras is a kip, that is too small for the number of coaches trying to use it now. I know it is a listed building, but it should be closed as a bus station, converted to offices, etc. and a new bigger coach station found.

You could then move the Luas. You could even possibly put the Luas on the East side of Busaras, so it would be closer to Connolly while having the longer platform.

That's not quite true.

The longer trams have made a massive difference.

Also, the alternating service pattern of Broombridge-Sandyford and Parnell-Brides Glen ensures that there is more than sufficient capacity on the core section between the city centre and Sandyford.

While I have long argued for a new bus station to be built, which would remove all of the city centre stops for inter-regional services and move them off-street, thus providing more space for the city bus operation, I think that given the listed nature of Busaras, it’s not going to going to be converted to anything such as you’ve outlined, and as such it may as well continue to be used a bus station for certain routes, albeit significantly spruced up on what is there right now.

I’m not really sure what moving the LUAS stop actually achieves? It is already longer than the red line trams. I don’t think that the western half of Store St would increase platform length by very much given the radius of the curves.

You can definitely convert listed buildings. Look at H&M, Smiles Dental Clinic on OCS (hilarious getting your teeth cleaned and looking up at the fancy glass roof), plenty of other examples.

Busaras already has offices in the upper floors, so worst case just close it as a bus station and keep the upper floors as is. Ground floor could just be a fancy entrance, but keep the shops/restaurants or even expand them or convert them to the public office for the social welfare, etc. Of course all changes within the listed building status.

I’m not really sure what moving the LUAS stop actually achieves? It is already longer than the red line trams. I don’t think that the western half of Store St would increase platform length by very much given the radius of the curves.

I think people are suggesting you could put longer trams on the red line to increase capacity. And yes I'm aware that this stop isn't the only one constrained for space for longer platforms on the red line.

BTW the platform there isn't actually long enough, it is missing the ramp on one end that every other Luas stop has, due to constrained space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I think I need a long lie down after reading Busáras is a listed building.

• Advertisement

Fun little fact Ove Arup was the lead engineer on building Busaras. He is the founder of the Arup Group, a major international engineering consultancy firm who works with Irish Rail and TII on projects frequently now, for instance they did the All Island Rail Review.

Advertisement