Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUAS Network + Future Expansion

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Busáras is a fantastic building (if you are interested in architecture).

Donnybrook bus garage is also an interesting building from an architectural pov. Not sure if it is listed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 PlatformNine

Ah sorry I forgot about that. However I still stand by that even with the longer trams, without COVID and more WFH stunting growth for a few years, the green line would likely be over capacity by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I am fascinated with architecture.

Have been lucky enough to see some of the most incredible places on the planet from Samarkand to Giza to Petra.

Busáras is just brutal without the brutalism.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

This is off topic, but just look at the details of the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭gjim

Off-topic warning.

The building is in the International Modern style - nothing to do with brutalist architecture at all. Like lots of old buildings in Dublin from every historical era going back hundreds of years, neglect and poor maintenance disguise what is a handsome piece of architecture. The general public's dismissive attitude to older buildings in Dublin is not at all typical in other cities where great pride is taken in maintaining and preserving architectural heritage (of all eras) as a visit to nearly any mainland European city will show. Plenty of examples of buildings in this architectural style and of this era which have been properly maintained and they look great. In Dublin, it's best to look at early photos, if available, to judge a building's qualities. Busaras was a great looking building before decades of neglect have left it in its current shabby state.

• Advertisement

Are any of the other platforms nearly as bad as Busaras? Heuston maybe? it would also be very difficult to extend while still keeping all three platforms. I know many of the platforms don't have a lot of space to expend into, and there would need to be changes such as Smithfield possibly needing a similair layout to Beechwood, or the extensions being offset . But surely none of the other platforms would be as difficult to extend as Busaras or Heuston?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭OisinCooke

Is there an actual plan in place to extend the Red Line trams?? God knows they could do with it, especially at certain times of day…

Currently, nothing I can find. TII's Public Transport Active Porjects Active List that is published on their website is over a year old, so it might not be up to date. However, the tender(TII363) they published for procuring new trams specifically states that red line trams should not exceed 43.5m, but be extendable to not exceed 55m. If they are planning on these trams having a <30 year life span as with the current red line fleet, I think it means there is talk of extending the platforms within the next 10-15 years, or at the very least they want the option.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭DoctorPan

And they are very proud of the project, being the company's first international project and considered the start of firm being international. Very weird being at an European grad event and Busaras being presented alongside Sydney Opera House as company landmark projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭VonLuck

This might seem like a mad idea, but I always thought it would be good to extend Connolly Station southwards. You could have an upper level above the red line Luas tracks and then bridge across directly to Busaras.

It could act as a central transport hub and avoid any pedestrian interaction with road traffic and also protection from the elements.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The one on Georges Dock is perfectly nestled between two streets. Similar at the Four Courts.

Having said that I don't think any of them would be impossible, they are pretty minor and could probably be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭gjim

If we're talking about mad ideas, how about going the whole hog and getting rid of the Luas spur altogether? Frees up a chunk of land for a couple of tall buildings. Build an underground pedestrian link - in the basements of these new buildings - with travelators but also shops/retail/etc. that would continue under Amiens St to allow exit at the Busaras Luas stop.

The geology of Dublin isn't great for underground stuff, but it surprising that there's almost nothing underground in the city at all and it's also a bit unusual to NOT have a transport hub which has a concentration of retail around it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, I've always thought that perhaps even a simple walkway over the road from the upper section of Connolly to Busaras.

However the question is if Busaras is even an adequate coach station any more and if not, then probably better not doing that and spending the money on moving to a larger/better location instead.

BTW gjim, interestingly Busaras does have an underground level, with toilets and even a theatre underground! On removing the Luas spur from Connolly, you would lose turnback capacity if you did that, though if they extend the line to Poolbeg, perhaps a turnback facility could be built down around the port instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭VonLuck

That's an even better idea, to get rid of the spur. Although I would think an underground route wouldn't work too well as you would have to travel down two storeys from the train platform level to get to a basement level, and then back up again to ground level to get to the Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭OisinCooke

While I can absolutely see where you’re coming from, I think removing the Luas tracks into Connolly is not the right idea, especially if a Malahide Road Luas line will be likely using it in future to head up Amiens Street and beyond. And while I’d love an underground walkway linking Connolly, the bus station and Busáras Luas, I’m afraid that it would become a very undesirable place to be… Unless it went from within Connolly to within Busáras, with minimal “public” access, but Busáras closes unbelievably early (which makes it very uncomfortable to be waiting for a midnight or 1am bus…) so I’m not sure how viable this would be unfortunately…

Advertisement