Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Project FourNorth (Quad-Tracking the Northern Line)

• 08-09-2024 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Just said I’d put this up here as a place to keep up with updates on this project, I believe a CBA/Feasibility Study is underway at the moment but does anyone know what the potential scope of the project would include?

Is four-tracking going to be Connolly - Malahide or all the way to Drogheda? And how would they work around the current DART stations on the northern line? Probably have to completely demolish them and reconstruct after four tracking… The new station locations may have to be moved so that the current stations can stay open while the new ones are being constructed…

Obviously it’ll be a very difficult project but a vital one too, so just wondering does anyone know what the plan involves?

Post edited by OisinCooke on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

A study was done in the mid 90's when Irish Rail first proposed an airport link and at the time they found that it was perfectly possible within the city confines.

Effectively it entails a third track to Clontarf Road, which already is there; the current station will have a bay platform on the east side. A reinforced embankment would be provided for the short section from Clontarf Road itself as far as Howth Road and Mount Temple school; this would mean little to no CPO although there would be some disruption while it's being built. From here on the line is in a cutting and it can be widened to Raheny and hence Howth Junction with little engineering bar providing wide road bridges at a few locations.

Once here, the station at Clongriffin is already future proofed; from here it's open country until the approach to Malahide station. A short section of a third line is proposed immediately outside Malahide for use as a turnback slash layover for waiting trains as part of the extended DARTplus project.

Of course the small issue of Exchequer funding and willpower is another story altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭PlatformNine

hasn't there also been talks of instead of quad-tracking past Clongriffin, they would create a new alignment from Clongriffin to Drogheda? The AISRR made it sound like it could be cheaper or a similair price, but I am not sure if that also considered thing like electrification of new alignment. At the very least I think it could be good for increasing speeds on Enterprise services and Dundalk commuters, as well as potentially making a heavy rail link to the airport easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

4 tracks Connolly to Clongriffin is fairly well agreed as the path forward. Its relatively easy to do. The GNR was looking at this as far back as the 1930's

AISRR was suggesting building the Clongriffin-Airport line and then turning north to follow the M1 alignment towards Drogheda.

100% agree on four-tracking Connolly to Clongriffin, there is no way around it either, capacity on the section is needed for the future. It could potentially allow 5 minute(12tph, increase from D+ 9tph) DARTs on the slow line on top of more frequent and faster Dundalk commuters and Enterprise services on the fast line. Also depending on the layout for both the four-tracking, and how they redesign Howth Junction for the four-tracking, it could potentially allow for either some of those 12 DARTs to be to/from howth and/or allow the platform to be better designed for the Howth shuttles allowing quicker transfers.

Thats actually not true, they don't mention the new allignment and airport link together at all. I read the section again(p.47) and it suggests the new allignment because it would be shorter/more direct than the existing allignment, need less CPOing, have less level-crossings, have a smaller environmental imapct, and disrupt the existing services less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

4 tracks Connolly to Clongriffin is not relatively easy. The line is in a cutting for much of that stretch with house gardens up to the top of the slopes. There is no space to excavate from or remove excavated material along while keeping the line operational or else CPOing dozens of back gardens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭OisinCooke

Why only 4 tracks as far as Clongriffin, why at least not to Malahide…?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,797 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It'd be 4 tracks to clongriffin and then a new 2 track route from there to Drogheda closer to the M1. There's no need to keep the express tracks by the coast.

Its not that we aren't thinking about upgrading past Clongriffin, we are just looking at the track in 2 sections. Connolly-Clongriffin and Clongriffin-Drogheda. Connolly-Clongriffin realistically has to be four-tracked. There aren't really any other practical ways to fix the capacity issues along the section. Clongriffin-Drogheda however has multiple options(or at least 2), either continue the 4-tack north or develop a new allignment. And if its decided to develop a new allignment, there isn't much of a point in four tracking past Clongriffin.

Ahhh ok ok I see, so lining up with the AISRR then. I’d just be sceptical about whether a new alignment would actually ne invested in and built, let alone justified money-wise by the public, who (in all fairness) will see that a duplication of the same route is being made…

As well as this if a new alignment from Clongriffin to Drogheda is constructed, it will presumably run close enough to Swords to warrant a station and if so, and you have DART services using that line to serve it as well all, is the point not defeated…?

Will the opportunity also be taken to build a new crossing over the Boyne at Drogheda to eliminate the only piece of single track on the route, which could be be up being a real crunch-point?

I think the justification would be that because this route is shorter, goes through less-developed areas, and avoids a number of areas that are difficult to work with, it might be easier to get planning permission as well as being much faster (shorter and possibly capable of higher speeds). My hope looking at the route described in the AISRR is that being shorter and more direct and avoiding the existing bridges (for the most part it looks like many bridges along the existing allignment would be either shorter or completely avoided), it could save a lot of money on construction compared to four tracking all the way to Drogheda.

Looking where I would think the route would go, I think its possible there would be a push for a swords heavy rail station. However the problem with that is that to get the faster more direct route, IE is probably going to want a route that is away from the existing development in swords. Which leaves either two options for a swords station, either slow down the route to get into a more developed area. Or what I think the better option would be, keep the line away from developed areas and create a P&R that also has a long-term parking section for Enterprise passengers.

Either way it would not completely defeat the purpose. The former would slow down the Enterprise speeds towards the end, and both might cause some traffic slowing down Enterprise Services. However getting slowed down by one stop in Swords is a lot better than all the stops from Portmarnock to Laytown, and will still be much faster than the existing allignment. I also can't see a Swords commutter having more than maybe 4tph let alone dart frequency, and Swords-Clongriffin would ideally take around 5 minutes (similair distance as Malahide-Clongriffin with no stop inbetween), either operating as a shuttle service to Clongriffin or switching over to the slow line. And that's if a Swords commuter is its own service and not an added stop on the Dundalk commutter which is 2tph which would operate on the fast line anyways.

Its hard to say, current peak frequency on the Boyne Viaduct is 6tph, 2 Enterprise and 4 Dundalk commuters. I don't think a train every 10 minutes is a problem, but it probably doesn't leave much room for improved service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭p_haugh

If they could work the swords Heavy rail station to be near one of the metro stops, that would provide a handy interchange. Estuary will have a P&R element so could be a good interchange option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,797 ✭✭✭cgcsb

No need for a swords stop. Swords passengers could change at the airport. The new tracks would be express intercity only

I think it would be pretty difficult to get a heavy rail interchange, even at Estuary station I think there are a lot of space constraints on the line itself, as well as needing to cross the M1 to make the interchange, and then back over at some point which itself isn't easy. If a good connection is important I would almost say it would be better to put the station in Seatown East and run a dedicated shuttle service between The Seatown metro station and this Seatown East heavy rail station.

I don't disagree, but I think it would be difficult to get planning permission for a line that close to Swords without putting a station there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

It would make sense to run the Airport - City rail service as a Swords-Airport-City, would make the airport station cheaper as it wouldn't be a terminus or need to hold out of service trains.

Its about building a network and more one seat journeys, if you are in Swords going to say DCU, Metro is great, if you want to get to Rahney, Clontarf etc…

Also business case, more catchment, more demand. Given the low design capacity of the metro it could prove valuable as well

How would they physically manage that? Without turning around a train, which mean long dwell times, they would have to put the station far enough away that it would probably need an people mover. It's doable but I think it just makes more sense to have a more dedicated airport link and avoid a people mover if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

The important thing to remember is that Quad tracking is only half the problem.

The biggest problem of all is Connolly. There are only 7* platforms of which only 3 allow trains to pass through on 2 lines. (*what us platform 1 being used for these days?)

There are also Termination problems at Connolly in that trains that come from the west line that terminate at platforms 1-5, need to cross the lines used by platform 6 and 7 which effectively slows everything right down.

Irish rail have the wrong end of the stick on this. They're trying to sell off land for apartments around Connolly instead of trying to buy more to put in more platforms

The area highlighted needs a CPO and at least 4 more platforms built. (Maybe 5 with a terminating platform)

The Failte Ireland carpark is an absolute disgrace, I don't think I've even seen it at more than 10/20% capacity

Its important to remember you don't need to quad track the whole line, only areas where the stations are, so that non stop trains can get through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,909 ✭✭✭✭L1011

P1 is still used, Connolly terminating Sligo/Maynooth line trains in the mornings in particular. During the day, those trains usually monopolise P7.

Failte Ireland are considering moving… so that site can become a hotel. The petrol station is also owned by hotel developers.

Bananas…

I'd argue it's up there with Dublin Airport, Dublin Port and the M50, M1, Port tunnel as part of the most critical pieces of in Transport Infra in the country.

And we're letting some lad build a hotel on top of land needed to expand it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I know it will be unpopular to say on this forum, but if you want to do it on the cheap then the cheapest option by far would be to just extend Metrolink to meet the Northern Line.

Relatively short distance, all above ground, no need for an expensive underground rail station under the airport, Metro's cheaper to build (much shorter stations), could also benefit from having a few new stations along the line and open up land for development north of Swords.

Folks wanting to get from Swords to Clontarf could get the Metro to the Northern line and then swap to DART. Alternatively get the Metrolink to DCU and then the N4 across to Clontarf.

The N4 is a real game changer. And speaking of which for the love of god, if we are going to the effort to quad track, can we please create a new entrance to Killester Dart station on the Southern end directly up to the bridge where the N4 stops and the H routes close by!

I do think though that the end plan for Connolly is to divert all but the Enterprise to Heuston - Sligo trains via a new Maynooth to Stacummy/Adamstown link and Wexford services via Waterford - so Connolly will be left only with the hourly Enterprise, the odd Dundalk, Gorey and Mullingar/Longford commuters, plus Navan services.

There’s also Spencer Dock station which I haven’t even considered here and that will take even further strain off Connolly. I would say that eventually all Mullingar/Longford Commuters terminating in Dublin will terminate either in Heuston, or more likely, in Spencer Dock so as to avoid crossing the through lines to access Connolly’s terminating platforms, with passengers for Connolly and the south changing to a through-running SW DART at Glasnevin…?

I’d even wager that Connolly won’t need any extra platforms at all but that it’ll be Heuston that might actually be in need of expansion… Thankfully they have the space though, I suppose a 9 and 10 could go beside the current 8 perhaps…?

• Advertisement

Quad tracking will involve the rebuilding (and possibly moving) of many stations. There may even be one or two closed, where there is no room to quad track on the station (Kilbarrack) Given they won't CPO around connolly, I doubt they'll CPO peoples houses

The biggest problem with Heuston is that it's miles away from the business end of the city. I think diverting trains to that station without a Dart underground is going to just increase journey times.

CPO'ing the land around connolly is a no brainer. (In my opinion anyway) there's no political will to do it though.

A number of the structures in the indicative drawing above are listed, so extremely difficult to knock even if CPOed. Preston Street houses and the old railway post office are listed in fairly sure

I would love to see some more platforms at Connolly! not sure how feasible it is however, and espeically since they are working on the new Spencer Dock station I don't think they have much of a plan to expand which is a shame. However with that said I think the future situation at Connolly is a bit more complicated than just adding a few platforms for terminating west line services. Adding more platforms west of platforms the through platforms would be good for reducing platform congestion and increase capacity for the future (which given why we have Docklands and Spencer Dock it will be needed). But I don't think it's going to make a massive difference with line crossovers, though I also might have a bad understanding of how the current routing into Connolly works. And then it will only get more complicated with the four-tracking.

I would go a bit further than that and say that the long term goal is to turn Connolly into a DART hub. Connolly terminating and GCD through Drogheda and Maynooth/M3 Parkway services. Through GCD HH services (maybe even some terminating services to increase frequency if GCD gets too congested). And through Malahide/Howth-Bray/Greystones DARTs. All frequently interchanging through Connolly. Then like you say, the Hourly Enterprise. However I think its possible that to make room for Connolly DART services Spencer Dock will be used not just for Longford services, but also the Dundalk services(provided its not a GCD services), as well as Maynooth/M3 services as needed. I think they might also used it as the ending point for Sligo services as a stop gap if the Maynooth-Adamstown link is built.

As far as not needing extra platforms, for now once Spencer dock is complete? probably not no, even if they mothball Docklands it would likely be fine for a while (I don't know and can't find what their plan for Docklands is) but its also about thinking about the future in an area that is limited on space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Why shouldn't they CPO people's houses? Manys a house or garden was CPOed for road projects, how do you think the Stillorgan road became so wide? If you choose to live by a railway line then there is always a chance they would widen it, especially in this obvious case.

I never said they shouldn't, I think they should… but I don't think that they will. Political suicide and all that.

This?:

I don't get why we are list building with no historical significance.

At this stage I literally think its just a job for someone…

Corrstown Golf Club has a listed building. It has no historical significance other than its old and it's also out in St Margarets

The Front of the KBC building is a listed building, It used to be a garage, again no historical significance.

Probably deserves its own thread.

Yes - https://www.buildingsofireland.ie/buildings-search/building/50010042/parcels-post-office-102-106-amiens-street-preston-street-dublin-1-dublin . RPS Reference 126.

1-4 Preston Street are also listed.

The front of the KBC building was a notable art deco industrial structure; it was illegally demolished and they had to rebuild it.

Incredible, so the cities infra has to suffer because of this building.

Ironic that something built for the railway is now hindering it's development because in 2011 some lad with a clip board said, "That's old, we should preserve that"

There's the building on Corrstown
    https://www.buildingsofireland.ie/buildings-search/building/11341001/corrstown-house-corrstown-co-dublin

#jobsfortheboys

Would CPOs there actually make any difference? Someone else can confirm or deny but I suspect capacity is more constrained by the situation south of Connolly than by the number of through platforms in Connolly. If that is the case, relieving that congestion should be more of a priority than adding platforms. I don't see a point in spending a lot of money widening the mouth of the funnel unless something has been first done about the narrow end.

Unfortunately the only real way to relieve that congestion is with DART+ Tunnel. If we ever get around to building the tunnel, I could see the original DU X service configuration being used - Northern Line to Hazelhatch via the tunnel and Maynooth to Bray via Connolly. In that case Connolly would continue to be used as a terminus for Mullingar/Longford services and Enterprise plus more trains from south of Bray. Connolly is well setup as a terminus, it'll continue to have through services but there are limitations on that which aren't related to Connolly itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I heard Barry Kenny on the radio this evening saying the New Spencer Dock station will help solve some off the issues with timetables and connolly.

The drawings done by IDOM for spencer dock are they concept or Construction?

While I don't think adding more through platforms is a great use of space because of the capacity restrictions, using the space to add more platforms for incoming terminating trains from the northern and western lines would still be good for Connolly. Now CPOing the area around Connolly might not be the best way to do more platforms, but in the future Connolly will likely need platforms, as will Spencer Dock (especially if they build the D+ tunnel). Plus extra platforms for northern and western services could still help Rosslare and Wexford services, as if Platform 7 is less congested it could leave room for a few extra services, and that is if building more platforms doesn't include a southern bay platform (to be fair I don't think it would). Though, like you say I do understand that the real limitations isn't Connolly itself. For those services it's the single track past bray with little to no room to improve for a large portion of the track, and that is why there has been talk of diverting Rosslare and Wexford O'Hanrahan services through Waterford.

That said with LC improvements/closures increasing frequency it wouldn't be the worst idea for them to at least consider an extra through platform or two, if not a few southern bay platforms to help with congestion of terminating darts north of Connolly.

A little off topic but now that you mention it, with all the D+ standardisation I do hope they consider having a few Maynooth or HH services extending past GCD. Even if it isn't all the way to Bray, I could at least see a case for a service to Dun Laoghaire and putting platform 3 to some use.

There is plenty of space east of platform 1 at Connolly which would be easier to use for additional platforms than west of platform 7. That would obviously be only for terminating trains from the northern line.

For services south of Bray, I think they should examine the potential for an extra platform at Tara. Even if only 100m long, terminating some trains there would save a lot of hassle. Metrolink will open up new space beside Tara and the station needs a major refurb/rebuild anyway.

Ah thats a good idea. Im not sure how much use that car park gets but if they moved the sidings into there they could easily get a maybe get a few full length platforms out of it. I will say on the topic of half-length platforms, that could be a good use for the Failte car park. they technically only need to be about 90m and I believe that is enough for HLU commutters and 3-section 22Ks.

The south situation is the same, just needs a 90m platform but I think they would want a 100m platform to at least allow 4-section 22Ks. However while it makes sense with metrolink I don't think they are going to attempt to put another platform into Tara. I think they would more likely either drop a platform into Connolly or GCD, or attempt to rebuild one of the old Pearse platforms. I can't imagine the cost difference between adding a platform at Conolly or Tara would be that different, and I feel like they would rather have it terminate at Connolly like it currently does so it can interchange with ML as well as other rail services, rather than having to shuttle one station over. Realistically though I think reinstating Pearse platforms or adding one at GCD is a bit grim. GCD just looks like it doesn't have the space, and I think the old Pearse paltforms are currently taken up by sidings and stairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8 DrivingSouth

I know you'll probably say wait for the report but does anyone think 3 tracks is a worthwhile solution? For connolly congriffen.

Would anyone familiar with operations be able to estimate how many paths per hour a third track might deliver?

I’d almost say that if you’re Quad Tracking as far as Clongriffin, you may as well go to Malahide… The reason being, I can’t honestly see an alternative Clongriffin - Drogheda alignment being built in the foreseeable furure, certainly not before linespeed improvements, double tracking and electrification of the existing network.

The only constraint with Clongriffin - Malahide is Malahide station itself, the Bridgefield GAA car park would need to be curtailed and a block of the ‘The Casino’ apartments would need to go but that is all. Tracks could either converge on an extended embankment before the Broadmeadow viaduct or cross it with 4 and converge the far side of it (there is ample space for either, and the embankment can be widened easily enough I would imagine…) Malahide, while it has difficulties, is arguably one of the far easier stations to quad-track. Beyond Malahide, simple double track with station loops might suffice as service DART frequency halves and between-station-distance almost doubles leaving better streamlining for intercities

I’m not in any way saying we abandon the Clongriffin - Drogheda new alignment idea, in fact if it happened sooner, all the better, I’m just saying it’s unlikely to take precedence over many other projects on IÉ’s to-do list after the AISRR… It should be done along with the northern equivalent of a streamlined Newry - Banbridge - Royal Hillsborough - Belfast allignmemt too, could be a very nice shiny project to stick under that new ‘Shared Island’ project…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I always thought a 3rd track from Connolly to howth junction at least would fit in quite nicely and might be a back up plan as quad tracking looks to be incredibly expensive. Move the express trains onto the fast middle track. (quad is obviously the preferrable solution). I've been waiting my whole life for improvements on that line. All I've actually seen is changes that caused slower journey times…:(

A third track faces all the same problems as quad-tracking, CPOing required either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,077 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

So you keep saying, but that is only your opinion.

I'd rather hear the professional opinion of the railway engineers who are carrying out the feasibility study before reaching any conclusion such as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭munsterfan2

Not that it would ever happen here, but in the mid 90's we lived near Den-En-Chofu station in Tokyo, over the course of a few years an underground station with 4 platforms was constructed to replace the overground station with only 2. They were then able to construct a shopping center etc on the land freed up. This was done with no interruption to the trains. The station then became a stop where both local and express trains met and changed passengers.

This could be done for Balbriggan, Skerries, Howth Junction and maybe one of the dart stations. Would allow for trains to skip stations, meet with express trains etc

Do we know who is undertaking the feasibility study? I suspect that it will be a high level report and that considerations for how to actually do the works will be "subject to further assessment at a later stage".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,077 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I don’t know who is doing it, but at the end of the day what you keep posting is a supposition on your part.

It is not supposition that Killester to Raheny is in a cutting with no space to excavate the existing embankments or build retaining structures while having very limited access and being wedged between a heavily used rail line with overhead electrical cables and many private houses.

An article about the debate was posted in another thread but just wanted to drop the debate in here and highlight some key points.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/joint_committee_on_transport_and_communications/2024-10-09/

"We will have the work done in the next couple of months. It is well advanced."

“The conflicts which arise from shared train types on a twin-track railway will remain with us until we increase that track capacity. […] We are undertaking a study of the requirements to deliver a four-track section, and believe this critical infrastructure should be accelerated to enable continuing service expansion and significant Enterprise journey time improvement.”

They are using the time table issues to highlight why the four-tracking is needing so hopefully there will be a bit more support for it. Also mentioned was the airport spur, but it does sound like its putting the 2042 in the 2022-2042 transport strategy.

I think one of the biggest issues with Quad Tracking the Northern Line is how to separate the fast and slow (intercity and DART) lines with the amount of branches: From Connolly heading north you have the DART line to Bray merging to the west, the (soon to be) DART lines to Hazelhatch and Maynooth splitting also to the west, the freight and DART line to Dublin Port and Spencer Dock merging from the east, the DART branch to Howth splitting to the east and then potentially the new Enterprise alignment (and/or DART airport spur) splitting to the west at Clongriffin. The question then is how to manage all of the different path-crossings that would exist and would hinder trains on the fast line/delay trains on the slow lines…

One way it could be done is to only start the Quad Tracking before North Strand Jnct, where the DART+ line will emerge from Spencer Dock, with the slow lines to the east and fast lines to the west. The distance between here and Connolly will be slow-moving for any train no matter what so it makes the most sense to have all the at-grade crossings of DART lines crossing here; DARTs coming from west (Connolly platforms 4, 5 & 6) after the junction with the Maynooth line, crossing the Enterprise and fast services coming from the east (Connolly platforms 1, 2, 3 & 4) to end up with slow lines on the east side (caters for slow DART access to Howth and Spencer Dock and freight to the port) and the fast lines on the west side (caters for Enterprises, Dundalk Commuters, and Airport Expresses to peel off at Clongriffin to a new route to Drogheda and maybe the airport).

It makes the most sense to do the grade crossing here at Connolly as DARTs can be left boarding on the platforms at Connolly or at a signal at North Strand (already happens anyway) while an Enterprise crosses its path on departure or arrival. As I said, pauses such as this need to happen with DARTs as things stand anyway and the geometry of the branches off of the Northern Line means that grade crossings will need to happen anyway in some shape or form and because terminus station throats with complex trackwork are always slow moving no matter what, I feel that this is the least invasive option.

With DART Underground as well and the proposed ‘X’ shape running pattern, this would actually mean no crossing would be needed at all as trains from Maynooth head straight for Bray and don’t cross Enterprises on the approach to Connolly and DARTs from Drogheda peel off to Spencer Dock and the tunnel before needing to cross the fast lines.

Let me know any thoughts on this but I could see it as potentially being the preferred route option with the least down-the-line service interruption by crossovers. Thanks all :)

While it definitely isn't an easy decision because there are a lot of branches to consider, I think because of both the amount and frequency of Connolly through services there isn't really an option other than the west tracks being the slow line an the east tracks being fast line. I believe they are doing something similair for Heuston because the layout(more specifically platform 10 / Heuston west), where the north two tracks are the electrified slow lines and the southern two are the fast lines.

It does leave some issues, if a slow service from the northern line is going to Spencer dock or if a Howth service needs to get to the slow line there will be some congestion. However those are at least somewhat fixable with service patterns. For example instead if they need to send some northern line trains to spencer dock because Connolly is too congested or over capacity, they can do that by turning a Drogheda service into an express service on the fast line. The main issue would be if/when they build the M1 express alignment, they they would either have to cross over the slow line or they would need to build an over pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭p_haugh

I would hope they electrify all 4 tracks to allow for flexibility (i.e. have Drogheda darts run express on the fast, as you said)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is there any solid information on this?

ah apologies when I mentioned only the slow lines being electrified I was only refering to the current plan for the Heuston-HH section. If they four-track the northern line all four tracks will more than likely be electrified. Not just for the DARTs or some potential express services, but for the new Enterprise fleet which is supposed to be tri-mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭DoctorPan

The 4 tracks will be electrified in time however the issue will be the fasts will be to 25kV AC as the intercity standard.

I thought the 25kV AC is planned (for now at least) to only be from Drogheda to the border to be able to connect with NIR's planned 25kV AV system? I imagine the plan is to eventually phase in 25kV AC over the whole network but I imagine that is quite a ways away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement