Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread 2024/25 - Teamtalk/Transfers/Gossip Mod Note in OP 26.09.24

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

INEOS have not though.

In terms of a discussion about what INEOS would do it's my view they won't be in a hurry to make a change.

They chose to keep him on after the end of last season.

Sir Jim was clear during the summer that the club has had good coaches but he structure around them was not good enough and was a major contributing factor to those coaches not doing well.

In terms of my own view on the coach, I have very little expectation that Ten Hag will ever be brilliant or that he will get it right. I would have been fine with a change and expected one at the end of the season.

I think once the club decided to keep him, what happened last season or the year before no longer matter, and he would have to get time to get things improved.

When I look at where things are at right now and what INEOS may see then I just don't thinks it's in a place where they have a reason to feel panic and to go for another coach right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭randd1

If City, Liverpool, Villa, Arsenal and Chelsea win this weekend, and given they're playing Newcastle, Wolves, Ipswich, Leicester and Brighton respectively that's highly possible, even likely, and United lose to Spurs which is as likely as winning, then after just six games we'd have City on 16 points, Liverpool on 15, Villa on 15, Arsenal on 14 and Chelsea on 13 and United on 7.

Would it be fair to say, if that pans out this weekend, that not only is any title challenge out of the question, but so is top four?

I just don't see City, Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea dropping less points than United for the rest of the season, while Villa have made a very strong start for them and look fairly consistent without being brilliant.

Is it possible our attempt at getting to the Champions League via the Premier League might be done after six games?

And if it is, would we be better off focusing our efforts primarily on the Europa League to get to the Champions League, which looks to arguably easier to win than getting 4th spot?

Whatever way we look at it, we need the Champions League, not only for the cash but for the type of player we can attract, and arguably more importantly, the type of quality squad player Champions League football could attract, if we're to challenge for the big trophies in the next 2/3 years.

Should a poor and possibly fatal start to the Premier League shift our focus onto the European campaign a bit more?

Obviously that's only in the even of the worst case scenario results-wise this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,718 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Even in that scenario, I wouldn't say top 4 is a write off after 6 games, with 7+96 points left to play for. As awful as last season was, the team finished 8 points off a top 4 finish over 38 games with some truly awful performances, and a lot of results which were very, very lucky and undeserved. The 4th place side was just 8 points ahead of that mess. There is a big gap to the top 3, but 4th was very much down in the mud with everyone else. They'll have improved, but I think United have too.

The results in the league so far are beating Fulham (H), Southampton (A), dropping two points to Palace (A), and getting beaten by Liverpool (H) and Brighton (A). CP should have been put away in the first half. Brighton was a stupid error at the end, and the team could even have won it had Zirkzee not interfered with Garnacho's shot crossing the line. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, alternative league tables, etc.

The point is the team is underperforming when it comes to converting chances. Only 5 goals scored from chances which should normally have yielded 9-10 goals. The results are disappointing because of that. Over the course of the next 32 games, its too early to say it's impossible for the forwards to just return to the normal expected standard of finishing. Hojlund too is coming back to fitness - I know people don't rate him but he was our top goal scorer last season.

Ultimately this is all from a very small sample size: I wouldn't make any big generalisations until the midway point of the season when everyone has played each other at least once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭randd1

Point taken. I'd be worried though already, while we've being creating chances and not taking them, equally we've been giving up a lot of chances and they're not being taken. It's balancing out so far.

Even early into the season, there just appears to be too many problems still to be solved to be confident of a top four finish. Midfield being the big one, though you'd be hoping an improving Mainoo and fit Ugarte might form a solid centre.

I would also still be very sceptical about Ten Hag. I just don't think he has the tactical awareness, team set up, squad rotation, or in-game reading, to improve things. And his substitutions rarely work out.

So maybe our best bet of making Champions League, and the money/players you can gain form that prestige, is best achieved by concentrating on winning the Europa League, especially if we start to fall 6/8/10 points behind fourth spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,483 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I just don't think you can, or INEOS will, ignore what has gone before this season.

It is year one of INEOS, but it is not year one of ETH.

How poor things got, how he handled various situation, how he asked the team to play, how he did or did not react to tactical issues etc - all that should still form part of the analysis this year. If there remain concerns this season, especially after the coming 3 tough games vs Spurs, Porto and Villa, then you can't just hand wave away those issues being apparent over a 18 month period (from March 2023 to October 2024). He's not brand new in the job trying to impart plans to a new set of players. Onana, Dalot, Martinez, De Light, Mazraoui, Mainoo, Casemiro, Eriksen, Bruno, Rashford, Garnacho, Hojlund etc - all players with a long time under EtH.

If we still can't progress the ball efectively, still can't score effectively, still can't control midfield effectively… at some point EtH just has to be held accountable. He can't just be given the full season if nothing is actually coming together.

I fear for the next 3 games, and I think having dropped points vs Palace and Twente heading into these 3 games, EtH will be in trouble if we come out with less than 4 PL points and 3 EL points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Playing in the Champions League if we’re still finishing 7th or 8th in the league is just more of the same rubbish and will be a waste of time. No manager is going to get away with concentrating solely on the Europa League anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Lauras Law

Southgate? Really? Why would the club even entertain such a ridiculous idea?

Southgate wouldn't take a 9 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Lauras Law

Are people taking the p***?? Do you honestly believe the club would even offer him an interim position? Seriously???

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ramasun

I thought the new model was to bring in a coach who could work with the squad we have rather than building a new squad every time we change coach?

• Advertisement

We're too late anyway. UEFA have snatched him up as a technical observer until the end of the season apparently.

If he is wise he'll just chip away at UEFA/FIFA/FA type roles broken up by a few pundit appearances after a dignified time away. He has failed upwards in management, and good luck to him. But its a troll by the English media to link him with the Man United job.

Loads of coaches do that. Ole does it. No way it stops someone from taking a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭kerplun k

oh man. I hope Chong is okay.🙏

Coaches who cant get work. I like OGS, but reality is he is unemployed. You think Southgate is waiting on the Man City job given the rumours of Pep leaving?

I know you're a staunch critic of ETH because its unforgivable he cant organise a team of Onana, AWB, Evans, Casemiro, Dalot, Eriksen, Mainoo, Garnacho, Mount, Antony and Hojlund to play effective, pleasing football. I get that. I disagree, I think there was mitigating circumstances, but I see the logic. But Southgate couldn't organise a team of Pickford, Walker, Stones, Guehi, Shaw, Mainoo, Rice, Bellingham, Saka, Foden and Kane. If ETH is subpar for not making wine from water, Southgate is even less. Lads were crying out for Kane to be signed for 100 million plus last summer as a sure thing to deliver success. Southgate had him, Bellingham, Foden, Rice, Mainoo in the same team and it was awful. And unlike ETH, there was no trophy at the end of it.

Southgate is a Championship level manager at best. His being linked to the United job is just trolling by the UK media looking for clicks from irritated United fans. If he goes on to replace Pep Guardiola and lead Man City to 25 consecutive PL titles, I'll accept I'm wrong. But I think he wont even be mentioned in connection to the Man City job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Son could be out for Sunday. He hasn't had yhe best start to the season but always a threat either way.

I don't want Southgate. Never said I do. Don't rate him at all.

I'm simply saying him doing tech analysis for uefa is in no way a blocker on him taking a job.

True. The club is looking to build a new stadium apparently. If Southgate can operate a wheelbarrow, he might yet still get a job at Man United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Wheatley with a hat-trick tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ramasun

At least the drip feed of stories about a new 100,000 seater stadium provides some distraction from the sorry state of results on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I think Southgate done a good job with England. Especially when you consider the mess they were in after Hodgson. He's favoured by the press, politically popular and is very good at PR.

He's also one of England's most successful managers, he's proofing he can work with big ego's. He doesn't stand for bullshit, he was the first to highlight Sancho's bad attitude yet we still paid a fortune for him. Underperforming players get dropped.

There's an honestly about him thats badly needed at the club and I think he would improve standards off the field and set a culture at the club that has been sorely lacking.

I'm not sure people realise how bad we are at the moment. We've just come off a season finishing 8th and were lucky to do so. We've been really poor already this season. We've spent more than most clubs in the world.

Would I be happy to see Southgate take over right now until the end of the season? 100%. Would I be happy to see him take over ahead of Ruud? Probably. We're going nowhere right now and arguably getting worse. Even if we can somehow beat Spurs, we'll surely drop point's against Villa or Brentford.

Times Up.

Post edited by Mantis Toboggan on

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

In no world, discovered or undiscovered, past, present or future, is Gareth Southgate the answer to our problems. Englands most successful manager by virtue of not failing in tournaments as early as his predecessors. As for inheriting a mess, it's an international team, completely and utterly different to a club team. For forks sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,350 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

seems he's alright.

“He’s up and about and fine,” Edwards said after the match. ‘So we’ll see the extent of it concussion wise. He was a bit sore but he’s fine.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭richsull

Wheatley should be in the match day squad. He’s ready to step up and we could do with another striker option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Anyone got young kids that support United? Jesus some of the stick, borderline bullying in some cases, they get in school is unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

The fact that Southgate is even mentioned in the same breath as Manchester United shows the absolute **** show the club has been in for so long. He's not good enough, and never will be.

Southgate name will be attached to any possible job coming up tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

See us linked with bringing back Angel Gomes on a pre-contract deal.

Would he manage to class as homegrown for us or not or did he leave too soon? 3 years before turning 21 but I think he left aged 20, does academy time count or does the timer only start when a senior deal is signed?

U18s are 8-0 up, Scanlon got 3 and Bianchieri has 2, hopefully time for another.

9-0 Scanlon with 4 the greedy git 😂

• Advertisement

My 7 year old does. Of his peer group it's pretty much 50/50 between United and LFC. Couple of outliers like 1 villa and 1 spurs supporter but that's it. As for stick, it's very light at the moment anyway but it's split evenly between the 2 groups.

Its gas, despite all the lamentations about ETH and how crap we are, a win tomorrow and we are only 4 points off first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

We are not crap, even me as a Ten Hag out guy from last season wouldn't say we are crap we are just short of goals and it's a real shame this wasn't addressed over the summer to help him out. Not excusing him either obviously but we have become better defensively, we look it and we also progress the ball better so far this season but haven't taken the chances created.

Far far far from convincing performances but definitely improved I would have said. We aren't beating the teams we should be beating though and his in game management is still generally head wrecking. It's just a long slow match to the chop at this point, game tomorrow could be anything.

If we start scoring a bit more draws turn to wins defeats turn to draws and the world is a better place. He still has a few weeks/months to save his job and I genuinely do hope he turns it around, whether or not he should have even been there at the start of this season is a moot point now.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

I'm surprised it's 50 percent United. I would have thought there would be more City fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

At that age I'd presume the parents alliegence plays a massive part in who they support, and there really isn't that many older City fans in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

True. They just follow who their Dad or Mum supports.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭JRant

What's weird about ETH is that he played Rashford a lot last season when he was turning in 4-10 performances and would make other subs while leaving him on for no apparent reason. This season Bruno has been putting in similar performances and gets left on while Rashford gets hauled ashore despite starting the season quite well. He's leaving Bruno on and having to rejig 2 or 3 players to accommodate one change when he has the option of a straight swap now with Mount, Eriksen, and Zirkzee all able to play that role.

He honestly does himself no favors at times.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Rashford is decent and can be excellent but is clearly never going to be a top player.

We need to getting top 4 at a minimum this year and if it's looking unlikely then TH needs to get the chop.

Get Tuchel in, just not Southgate.

Give players 2 years to prove themselves. If they are injured half of that time, it's reason in itself to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kyleman

No matter how much we support United there are possibly 5 teams with a stronger squad than us so 4th would be a great achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭FrankN1

We definitely have a squad capable of getting top 4. Not easy but we should be getting it. And if this manager can't get it. We need to move him on. It's not year 1 for him. We should be playing the same way week in week out. None of this one player missing to unlock us.

With Bruno, he is the team captain. That implies he has a lot of respect from other players in the squad, they might think he's not playing well but he is proven quality and he'll play his way back into form. ETH might have to take account of the impact on the squad morale from dropping the captain and putting in Mount, Eriksen or Zirkzee in his stead. I can only guess that was why ETH stuck with Rashford so much last season.

I've seen arguments made that Bruno might be effective further back as an #8. I don't know, but a change of role and responsibility might be as good as a rest and without the potential drama. Bruno has been really poor at #10. Hojlund at #9, Zirkzee at #10 with Bruno and one other further back could be worth a try. God knows, with Hojlund coming back in we need to do something to get him more than 38 shots across an entire PL season. His finishing is elite (26% conversion last season, better than Halaand) but 26% of not enough chances is not enough goals. Zirkzee isn't an elite finisher, but he might set up our best finisher a bit more often than the team did last season.

Bruno in a midfield two? I don’t think so. We saw how that idea played out when Mount was there and they both were too far forward and Casemiro was isolated.

Well, it would be Ugarte not Casemiro I think. And it would be in front of MDL and Martinez, not Evans and Maguire. So it might be more stable. If Bruno plays it like an advanced #10, clearly wont work. If he can play like an #8, it might. And bad and all as Bruno has been in possession, he has still run the yards out of possession. In the PL so far for United he has most tackles (15), most tackles won (10), most tackles in the midfield (11).

Lets face it, the alternative for #8 are a 19 year old (Mainoo), Casemiro whose very much going to need his games picked for him, Mount whose never been convincing at #8, or Eriksen - again needs games picked. Mainoo aside we're not drowning in options for #8 and a 19 year old cant be played for 50 games without rotation. The club needs to take care of Mainoo. Ideally he would rotate with more experienced players, but United's midfield is really poor for a club with ambitions of finishing in the top 4.

If ETH doesn't experiment with Bruno dropping further back, then the reality is he will persist with his captain at #10 until either Bruno rediscovers some form, or ETH is sacked. Whichever comes first.

EDIT - the other problem is if Zirkzee can actually play as a proper #10, or if he would get in Hojlund's way. And how often with both Hojlund and Zirkzee both be fit?

How do you know what they were asked to do? Even so, it doesn’t mean that putting Bruno in a two makes any sense. You can ask him to stay there. Will he stay there? Probably not. How effective will he be at stopping the opposition if he does? Probably not effective at all. Against Twente there were times that the opposition were passing Ugarte by at ease, imagine himself and Bruno there against Spurs.

Bruno doesn’t need a position change or to be dropped to rediscover his form. He hasn’t needed it in the past so why would he need it now?

We've seen him asked to play deeper, do it, and be excellent as a deep lying play maker.

This narrative that Bruno is tactically inept, selfish, and just ignores his manager is just wild. Cause that is what's being argued.

I think playing someone who is bang out of form on a regular basis has more of an impact than not playing your captain. There was very little drama when Maguire was dropped as captain. I think trying to play Rashford back into form, even after disciplinary issues, had an impact on the squad moral last season.

Bruno has a lot of attributes that could make him an excellent 8 but he has little to none positional discipline. Which is fine when he's creating a d scoring but becomes a huge issue when he's not. We are a team struggle to find form, identity, goals and trying to carry any player is lunacy. He needs to be given a couple of games off and then see how he bounces back.

Chelsea well and truly pulled our pants down with the Mount deal. We spent 50M and got a crock. They went out and bought Palmer for 45M. That young lad is a serious baller.

Man united fan too. How and why we missed out on him as a young player is something I'd love to know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement