Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Festivals you may not know

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Im sold on Geen Man anyway, was looking for a late summer festival and don't fancy EP anymore. Fingers crossed for a strong lineup next year too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭mcdonut

Yes been to about three of them all prior to COVID. The site is the the hills on the edge of the city...used to about a tenner in a cab from city centre. I think there's also shuttle buses from the football stadium .

There is camping available at the site but we always stayed in hotels.

Bilbao is a great smaller city. Well worth a visit. Would highly recommend the festival.

The view of Bilbao from the BBK entrance gate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

One of my fav city fests. Lineup is always quality. Bilbao is great too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

that looks lovely and sounds so … civilised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Sorry, LowOdour, forgot to say that Greem Man is hands down the best festival for kids I've attended. The actual kids area looks amazing, trampolines going, performers, arts and crafts, all sorts. There's a science area and then another sort of garden with a stage hosting kid friendly acts all weekend. Everyone looked like they were having a ball. There was also a Little Folk parade around the main arena on the Sunday, kids on shoulders, performers, music, everyone cheering, deadly.

But also first festival I've been at where there are teen tickets so plenty of teens around too. It was pretty cool, not big gangs of them, all with family, you know, off at a gig on their own, joining their Da at the front foe Jesus and Mary Chain or whatever.

That all sounds revoltingly Blue Peter for anyone attending without kids I know but didn't interfere in any way with the more adult craic. First time I've ever really thought I'd like to have done this with the kidders.

Lovely story from one of the younger acts, Humane the Moon. Finished a great set said himself and his brother on bass had been at Green Man for 15 straight years with their Dad, pointed him out in the crowd. I'm not crying, you are. Had a chat with his folks after, so lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Thanks @Stillill42 - brilliant review and looks right up our street. decided this morning that EP is just not a runner for our two, so we are going to see if we find an alternative. GreenMan on the list thanks to your input!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

That all sounds revoltingly Blue Peter… A doff of the cap to you sir.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭CorkClaire82

Yes it is predominantly middle aged crowd but it still has the madness it sounds like you want (as a card carrying middle age raver). I went to bed no earlier than 2:30 any morning and that was only cos I hit an absolute wall, you can make of it what you will. Chai Wallahs is mostly drum and bass late at night, Far Out mostly techno and Round the Twist is housey, the first and latter until 4am all nights.

@Stillill42 I'm delighted you loved it, I'm between this and ATN as my favourite but I think this year Green Man did it for me. I didn't know that much music going in but as always with GM it showed me loads. Nadine Shah, Explosions in the Sky and Max Cooper were my top highlights along with Omar Souleyman and Lynks for pure craic. It's a festival that just soothes the soul somehow (even if I'm still recovering at the mo!!).

• Advertisement

Ah absolutely, CorkClaire82. Just a brilliant 4 days. Nadine was deadly, as were Explosions in the Sky but I loved pretty much everything and everyone. Beamed my way through the 4 days. I don't suppose your bloke was the one in the Sultans of Ping tshirt?

Ha no, he is not from Cork (alas, even though that might just be too much power altogether).

You're right, it was a great experience this year as per always, those were just the musical highlights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

Meo Kalorama Lisbon

Massive Attack last night were fantastic. LCD Soundsystem tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Ooft.. that's a corker!

Saw both LCD and Death Cab + The Postal Service in London last weekend!

All were on top-form.. so enjoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Giving this one a go at the end of the month

Under The Drum | Music Festival | Saturday September 2024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Interesting. Looks good. Hope it goes well. Recognise a few artists there - singer-songwriter genre mainly, I think. Let us know how you get on.

Are you camping? Could be beginning to get a wee touch nipster by end of September!

Yeah camping but it's only for 1 night.

Tbh I was looking to see were there any Joshua Burnside gigs on the horizon and came across that and was sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭joinme

Back from Meo Kalorama in Lisbon. Would definitely recommend the festival, lovely set up. Here's the review:

The Lineup - was pretty strong overall, although we only attended the Thursday and Friday, as we felt the Saturday was weak enough. You can buy day tickets which is handy. Massive Attack (as an earlier poster said) were immense, best I've seen them live. LCD were incredible as always, just a remarkable live outfit, and Murphys vocals are brilliant. Jungle put on a great show and Nation of Language won the award for best band I'd never seen before, just pipping Death Cab. Also enjoyed Vagabon, Lloyd Carner, Folamor. Its not really like an Irish festival where there are loads of bands on all day, so we usually only got in by 7pm each day.

Logistics - a 40 min Q at wristband exchange on day 1, which we hadn't anticipated. The festival attendence was much busier on Friday than Thurs , probably down to it been a weekend night and a slightly better lineup on Friday. Very easy to access Bella Vista park via metro, we stayed in a hotel 15 mins away. Although metro finishes before the festival it was handy enough to grab a taxi or uber. Ubers are reatively cheap in Lisbon.

The set up - it's in a park which is perched high above Lisbon so the main stage acts like an amphitheatre and is a big space probably fits 50k when full. You can see the river and downtown behind the main stage, which really adds to the appeal of the festival. Then there are three other stages,but no sound bleed because of good positioning but also because no act clashes with main stage except maybe the rave in Woods stage. The park is quite hilly so expect to get the steps in. Lots of bars , but on the Friday everything got busy. Some long queues for toilets, which were nearly all unisex cubicles. Only found one set of urinals on the entire site which seems a bizarre omission from the organisers, but heard it was the same last year.

Weather - Expext sunny, warm and dry (max 28) during the day, but bring an extra top layer for evening as it dips to about 16/17 with a breeze in late summer. Shorts all the way.

Prices - two day tickets were 140e. Beers were 4e for a 330/400ml. Cup deposit policy in place. Didn't buy any food so can't comment. You won't get in with beers, the search is very thorough. Lots of sponsors present so it is commercial but not overly in your face.

Lisbon - it's a great city. Hotels reasonably priced, transport is accessible and cheap with metro, uber, bikes scooters, buses. Apart from the festival, loads to do and see in Lisbon, very friendly people too.

Overall - a great little festival. Lineup is strong for headliner and sub headliners but after that you might have to get lucky depending on your taste. It could be a bit light for some people, but we were happy to chill by the pool and enjoy Lisbon during the day. The crowd are very chilled overall, mainly Portuguese into their tunes, and a good scattering of other nationalities including Irish, US and UK. No drunkenness or rowdy behaviour witnessed. For the affordability, weather, lineup, and the city of Lisbon definitely one to add to any list of future festivals.

Probably missed a bit as still recovering from the few days ,but I'll add anything if I remember or feel free to ask whatever questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ Glad to see another Nation Of Language fan.. mentioned them elsewhere as saw them support Death Cab + Postal Service in UK. They're excellent!

Sounds like a great festival. Had family live in Lisbon for years so been looking for a reason to go back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭TenPicnics

End of the Road got a 5 star review in the Guardian yesterday. With apologies for the long quote, regulars on the EP thread will probably understand why it's worth quoting the last paragraph:

It’s refreshing to experience a festival that, almost 20 years into its existence, still seems ready to evolve and not just be content recycling the same old stuff, yet retains a real sense of identity and personality. In this climate, that is something to be cherished and celebrated. We are awash with identikit events sponsored by the same companies, bringing the same lifeless vibe offered up as extortionate “experiences” packages, while huge companies own and control an enormous chunk of the entire festival (and ticketing) market. By contrast, this level of thoughtful, nuanced, and frequently surprising curation is a sincere pleasure, one reciprocated by artists and audience alike.

I was at it last year, just switched to Green Man this year because the dates suited better. It's an outstanding festival, totally agree with everything written there. Both it and GM are the antithesis of where EP is headed and the embodiment of everything that used to be good about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭TenPicnics

I remember your previous review/reviews, sounds wonderful and exactly what I'd enjoy. One of these years am going to make it over for that or GM, time to start working on persuading one or two pals to make the trip over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yes just back. My 6th. Got early birds this morning for next year.

Its a really great festival.

• Advertisement

That Garden stage looks like a very special place and the line up this year looked fantastic.

The dates never seem to suit me but I WILL get there 1 year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,501 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I went years back so this may not be true now, but they had a croquet pitch (is it called a pitch?!) the other side of the hedge from the garden stage. Playing croquet in the sun with a drink in hand while peeking over the hedge at the stage listening to whoever was on was very cool 🤣

Tickets for Green Man 2025 out next Saturday. New ticket provider, Ticketline last year was a bit of a mess by all accounts. Sold out the last few years on day one so hope I get sorted.

Always tempted by Green Man but for somewhere so close as the crow flies its a pain in the arse to get to

That's what I'd always thought too but it worked out really well for me this year on the coach. Granted I was going prepitched but still. Absolutely hassle free.

• Advertisement

Flew to Bristol the Thursday morning, quick uber into the coach station, coach to the site, about an hour and a half, in the tent by 11.15. Now if there were any delays it would complicate it a bit but there was a later National Express too and loads of trains if there had been any hiccups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

defo gonna try green man in 2026, family stuff next aug makes it a nono.

Shush, don't tell people and we'll have more chance of getting tickets Saturday! I'm joking, but I am nervous this year of getting tickets, I know they always come about but I'd rather be sorted this time next week.

Fair point Claire. I'll have to rework that review, give it a more negative write up. What a shithole, eh? Never again.😉

Green Man ticket in the bag. Woohoo! Sold out in a flash, I was lucky. Hope any other Boardsies on the hunt were successful.

Was tempted but have EOTR tix and theyre similar ish lineups. May look at GM 26.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Granite Head

Well done! Not so lucky, looked to be sold out minute 1.

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, Muirean Bradley, All Together Now, Bonny Prince Billy, Phosphorescent, Ride, Dirt Birds, Katel Keinig, Melts, Tommy Tiernan, The Libertines, Godspeed You, Black Emperor, Melts,The Last Dinner Party, St. Vincent, Los Bitchos, Iron & Wine x2, John Grant, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Public Service Broadcasting, Fat Dog, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Elaine Mai, MJ Lenderman, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Vampire Weekend, Fontaines DC, Villagers, Confidence Man, Amble

Yeah, apparently if you hung in there for a bit tickets were popping up later as they were released from baskets. But certainly went like a flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Granite Head

I didn't hang around as everything was showing "sold out". Just gone in there now and the bike options are now back available. I bikepack but not sure I could still make it work.

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, Muirean Bradley, All Together Now, Bonny Prince Billy, Phosphorescent, Ride, Dirt Birds, Katel Keinig, Melts, Tommy Tiernan, The Libertines, Godspeed You, Black Emperor, Melts,The Last Dinner Party, St. Vincent, Los Bitchos, Iron & Wine x2, John Grant, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Public Service Broadcasting, Fat Dog, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Elaine Mai, MJ Lenderman, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Vampire Weekend, Fontaines DC, Villagers, Confidence Man, Amble

• Advertisement

Ah fair enough. There will 100% be loads up on resale in the couple of weeks before it's on. That's how I got mine last year.

We managed to get tickets too, it was pretty seamless compared to previous years. As Stillill mentions, there'll definitely be tickets floating around coming up on the weekend itself.

Advertisement