Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Phew. I'm behind a couple minutes on my dodgy so this has been my favorite post of the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Shite game, 3 points, we move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

We were poor today. A better team would have taken points off us.

VVD immense again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Now to just match Arsenal and City’s results for the next 32 games and avoid defeat in the four matches against them.

Almost sounds simple on paper.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Good win.

We were fair poor.

Wolves were fair shíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭patsy sally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Absolute terrible performance. We're lucky we were playing against Wolves.

One of Salahs worst performances in a while. His passing was completely off. Also seemed to lose his pace too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

That last 2 and a half minutes was the most frustrating of the season so far for me. All we had to do was keep the ball for 2.5 minutes and we win the game. Instead we gave the ball away 5 or 6 times in that last 2.5 minutes. So stupid from us tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Salah was poor today but he has had at least one performance than that for us this season. Can't remember which game I'm thinking of tbh, probably against Notts Forest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Doesn’t appear to rate Endo like Klopp did. I think he would have slowed things down when Soz was taken off.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Horrible game, that was a slog, got there in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Im surprised how many blamed Ali for the goal, Konate all day for me.

Robbos tackle was really poor as well tho tbf.

Great to have the points we have but can't shake the feeling we should be on 18 with much, much tougher challenges to come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Given how bad Wolves were when we pressed higher, and how dangerous they could be when we invited them on, Jones was the right call at the time… swapping our AMC for a DM would mean sitting deeper, which is where we struggled most today.

I don't think it's that he doesn't rate Endo, so much as he likes his midfielders to be more front footed - think he's just not much of a one for dedicated DMs full stop. Endo will play plenty though, played very well during the week.

I feel like Endo might be a “closer” for Slot, brought on to see out a narrow lead in tight, difficult games.

More of a baseball term of course, but it’s not an uncommon squad role in football these days. John Obi Mikel was probably one of the best at it but there’s been a fair few over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Feel like we got away with one today,Wolves pretty good for 30 min,considering the illness ,we were sh1te at the same time,Mo brutal again 3/6 this season where he should be subbed off at 60/70 mins,shades of the NF performance from the 1st minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

I’d definitely put that on Ali, he made a move to come for it, Ibou shielded the ball, then Ali changed his mind.

But all worked out well in the end thankfully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Yeah definitely one of those games you’ll quickly forget, however winning away from home and not playing well is always welcome and a necessity for teams looking to challenge for honours.

In terms of raw numbers we are both best attack and defending team in the league so far, very early days and relatively poor opposition played but it’s as good a start you could have hoped for for Slot coming in post Klopp. This team can play very well, consistency is obviously an issue so far but that will come all going well.

Some areas of concern, midfielder light no doubt and left back looks like it could become an issue too, but all in all, we are in good shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Could be 18, but the way I look at it, Forrest were unbelievable in their set up that day and everything they did, worked to a T. They were comfortably the best side, performance wise, that we have played this season. We are going well, but outside of Forrest we have played some awful teams.

Some huge games coming up, and we have to take 3 points against Palace next weekend. Another performance like today won't cut it at Selhurst I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I think we will have a better idea how far away we are from being contenders for major honours at the end of November.

Fixtures in October and November are on paper, much more difficult that anything we have played so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yes think we are still too easy to play through at times and better teams will expose this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The best football we've played has been in our toughest fixture on paper, Utd away.

Hopefully we can produce similar performances in our upcoming fixtures after the international break, because we were shite today.

We'll need to.

Some really tough matches coming up against teams a lot better than Wolves, who were awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Johnny Heitinga doing a lot of work with him apparently, plenty of one-to-one sessions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Ibou is the type of lad Sakho thought himself to be, only he has the professionalism to back it up too.

Great character to have in the squad, and clearly not the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

I didnt think it was one of Gravs better games tbh. Gave the ball away a lot more than he has done previously this season and missed a few tackles also.

I don't think anyone was brilliant yesterday, but Gravenberch was comfortably the best player on the pitch. But, to be honest, if there was no man of the match awarded no-one would complain, given the display for both sides.

He also had a 94% passer rating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Top of the league is nice after 6 games and all that. But we have had a nicer run of games - 5 of the 6 games we've played have been bottom half clubs and the only game we've lost was to Forest who are 9th. Even the LC win was against a bottom half team.

So there is some degree of realism needed. We don't really know what the team is like yet. We have a much tougher run of games after the next international break with Chelsea, Leipzig & Arsenal coming back to back to back and then a double header against Brighton. Finished off with Leverkusen & Villa.

We'll know a lot more after that run of fixtures.

Maybe it's because Slot is still an unknown, because he's only 7 games into his tenure, but he is keeping his cards close to his chest and keeping quiet. I like that he is doing that tbf, as Klopp was such a big personality to succeed. If we were in the position we are in now under Klopp, we would all be talking about a title run and emotions would be very higher and energetic and bouncing, because it's what Klopp would have wanted. And we knew from experience what he and his teams were capable of.

Even yesterday was a slog and an important win, given some of the other results, but no real fuss made of it. Just a standard win on paper. Maybe the more we can do that, the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I know we are top and that's great obviously but we have by far had the easiest first 6 games of any team in the league.

I'd be worried that if our performance level doesn't seriously improve6 that won't last too long at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Perhaps, but isn't it better than having the hardest 6 and struggling?

New coach and style of play is going to take time. This season will be a bit of a roller coaster here and there but that is to be expected imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

It's funny, it's like we're communally trying to temper our expectations, despite the fact none of us are really getting carried away. Yet. We just all know what we're all like 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Van Dijk has been flawless all season and it's going under the radar because this is just standard from him.

I know, I think a lot of Liverpool fans are still in the unknown, so it's hard to make heads or tails of things. We haven't played anyone of note, but obviously you still have to win games regardless, and we have done that. So that's positive...

However the one team that turned up, and executed their game plan, beat us and we looked hopeless throughout that game. So you're left to wonder can we put away and beat sides that are disciplined and organised.

You can tell that we're still a long way off on how Slot likes us to look going forward. Our front 4 press has been impressive at times, but has also been exposed many times, and we look very vulnerable everytime. Chelsea could see a lot of joy against us in a few weeks. We have had some good moments in our build up, but I'm still not convinced by Konate or Robertson. At times they don't look completely comfortable taking possession while fending off the baying opposition press. And Trent loses patience's at times and will often revert to a more direct approach with a long through ball or diagonal, which I'm a fan of, but I don't think Mr. Slot is at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

So are giving Slot a pass for the season ? I said I'd give him 10 games before wondering where we are going as a team. Given the games so far at not top level opposition, as said above, do we forget those until all 38 games are played ? Or the whole season including CL ? Or wait for transfers mid year or end of year and into the new season ? At some point we have to ask questions or fill him full of praise.

We are definitely less gung-ho as a team vs Klopp era and I love that but we are still looking shaky at times against a team sitting tight and waiting for the break. Same as Klopp era.

The midfield system works well, the cover is good, the shape is good, that's all Slot, but defensively, we are panicking at times. Is that the playing out from the back ? MOTD was an eye opener for the amount of teams that fell foul of that this week. Up front, it's the same system as Klopp. Small steps I suppose, but when do we see the future of the team in terms of layout and tactics.

God he needs a lot more than 10 games! He would need at least a full season, and a couple of transfer windows. Even the great Pep was given that....I don't think any manager of any level can be judged after 10 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

Let's flip it on it's head and imagine we lost most of the games we played. Does he still get a bye until end of season ? Yes, didn't happen but I don't think end of the season is appropriate to wait for some judgement.

Yes, we would have too....it would be circus stuff if we were talking about a managerial hunt after 10 games, regardless of results. Considering he hasn't signed a single player of his liking yet.

Yeah I'd say so, especially if there was a clear direction in terms of style of play. Even Klopp's first half season, there was some poor results and frustration, and the players fell off towards the end of the year as they had been run into the ground. On paper, it wasn't great but we could see what the direction was, and it was definitely a step in the right direction.

I think I'm right in saying that we'll have played every team by the end of the calendar year. So that might be a fairer reflection.

But what we have seen so far has been great. Almost excellent but I think that Forest loss will prove to be important as it will have given Slot an eye opener about the quality that the bottom half clubs can possess. They're not all pushovers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

October Games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I think most of us would have had us finishing 3rd, or if City gets punished then 2nd this year. This helps to temper expectations, add in the shocking loss to Forest it has kept our feet on the ground. I think had we won that match it would have been different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Thud

I think the Forrest loss was a bit of a blessing in disguise, the press would be full of title contenders, unbeaten run, best start as a manger talk had we won that. Just waiting for it to collapse, we're staying under the radar a bit thanks to that.

Even going top this weekend didn't generate as much press as how City need to find a Rodri replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭IrishOwl...

That game really sticks out to me. Some of the teams Liverpool have played have been so so poor. Liverpool fans will know more after come November. They face Chelsea, Arsenal, Brighton x 2, Leverkusen and Leipzig within the space of 3 weeks. To me Liverpool have to look a more assured against the counter press, as they look vulnerable in certain moments to me.

3 wins and 3 draws would actually be a sound month there. Obviously those wins would need to be in three specific games.

• Advertisement

Just one home game in League in whole of Oct

Ouch,

Nov must have lots of home games

Funny how if any player praises Slot, there will be a headline next day, player aims dig at Klopp 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You can only beat what's put in front of you, I know United are bad but the team rose to the occasion so I'm hopeful they will in tougher fixtures. 3 times we played that United side last season and failed to beat them, that was massively disappointing.

Going under the radar how well Trent has defended this season. Doesn't fit the stereotype so just wait until the first goal we concede from some play down his side and it will all be 'Trent can't defend' etc etc again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think there probably was a level of failure at which we might have been looking to change before Christmas - but it would've had to be ultimate feel-bad stuff. The players would have had to look visibly miserable, and there would have had to be absolutely no sign of progress or game plan, or else seeing a game plan that lacked any ambition at all. Thinking Hodgson here. But beyond that, yeah, any sort of decent cohesive and improving trend would deserve at least the full season.

We've already passed that threshold by now anyway - we can see the plan, we can see the atmosphere in the squad is great, the chap himself is quietly endearing and saying the right things. So all good.

It's interesting reading the range of opinion on our opposition - that we haven't played anyone decent yet, and also that we'll struggle against the defensive sides. But most of what we've played are the organised sides who play defensively. Like, that's Bournemouth and Brentford to a tee. Utd aren't what they were, but they'll still finish top 8 probably, and we comfortably beat them. Also comfortably beat a quite decent Milan side away. Tbh I think our team is one that'll do quite well with the space left by better teams.

We lost to Forrest. We played poorly on the same day that they played well. Sure that happens, that's football. But at the same time you'd expect Jota to put his 5-yard chance away 9 times out of 10. I don't think we can extrapolate too much from that result, beyond the Premier League being a league where you might get punished if you don't take your chances. But I'd take the big positive that in all 7 other games we've played, we've scored at least 2 goals.

So, y'know, as far as transition seasons go we're flyin'. Things are good, let's enjoy it. We'll probably have a lot more good days than bad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement