Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Womens' rugby Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

1404142434446»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Munster certainly had a good game against the dubs eehh sorry Leinster. 😇

Dan.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Dubs??

9 of the starting 15, and 7 of the 8 subs, were not from Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

You mean ul bohs had a good game...

As syd says most of the leinster players are from across the province and are in dublin clubs to play ail/ease of location bc of uni or work etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

What no spot of humour on here anymore???

Dan.

Dylan Moran you are not.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,466 ✭✭✭✭phog

Only half watching Munster v Connacht, Munster 3 tries up, I missed all 3, Munster defence or Connacht's sloppiness is keeping Connacht s scoreless so far

Make that four tries.

Maul from a lineout.

Clock in the red and Connacht score well deserved try

I missed the second half, Connacht must have come back into it or Munster took their foot off the pedal only 5 points in it at the end. Munster win 29-24

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,158 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Munster keep doing the strong lead, narrow victory thing. Need to adjust that for the final

• Advertisement

Squad named for wxv1

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2024/09/17/bemand-names-30-player-ireland-squad-for-wxv1-in-vancouver/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭typhoony

Great win against new Zealand overnight, Aoife Wafer leading the charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,436 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I couldn't believe it when I woke up to footage of the clock going red and the ball being kicked out.

How this group have turned the ship around is nothing short of miraculous.

Take a bow Scott Bemand.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kita99

I watched through RugbyPass. Congratulation. Super job by all. And they were saved by the TMO some times.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I thought Ireland were in the 3rd division with Kazakhstan last year. How did they jump up to the 1st div? Or are I completely misunderstanding how the groups work?

Your Division is based on your finishing position in the six nations. Top three go to wxv 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well I didn't see that coming. Congratulations to all involved. What a turnaround.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,436 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It's based on finishing positions in your regional tournament every year so you move up down accordingly. Theres plans to change this from 2026 AFAIK

Brilliant result for Ireland, shame the game was on sh!te o'clock time for Irish fans but that's what is thought of women's rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Not everything has to be a problem that's solely attributed to a perceived lack of respect to Womens rugby.

Inventing issues just generates pointless noise and takes away from the actual and real issues surrounding a cause.

The game was played in Vancouver. 8 Hours behind Irish time.

USA and Canada were the 2 previous fixtures in the stadium.

Of course they're going to get the favourable day slots. Gives them a shot at generating genuine interest in the local time zones.

4pm local time is not a shite kick off time.

In fact, for Irish fans to watch it at a reasonable time you'd have had to put the game on at 12:00. Now THAT is a shite kick off time for the players. They have to get up earlier, manage their meal times earlier, disrupt sleep schedule. Ask any high performance athlete. Earlier kick off times are rarely favoured by any of them.

And in the interest of fairness. There are 3 game slots in the tournament. We just got the latest one. Our next 2 fixtures are in the other 2 earlier slots.

So if you REALLY cared about Womens rugby then you'd be happy they played a game at a near ideal time in their day…

I'd put good money on it being a different kick off time if the men's team were playing the ABs there.

So your outrage is based exclusively on a hypothetical? Right. That sounds absolutely exhausting.

In a triple header mens scenario in the same context, USA would be first up. Sunday viewing ideal time slot for the 3 US time zones, generates good potential interest ahead of the RWC 31 which is what they're trying to do. That time slot stays the same.

Next slot is Canada, they're the hosts. Of course they get the favourable 15:45 local time slot. Perfect time on a Sunday to get a crowd in.

So in this scenario no. I don't think the time slot changes.

Also. Say we got carte blanche to put it on whenever we wanted during the day there is hardly any times that would suit the TV audiences while still making it a goer for the players to actually play it.

Sunday 9pm in Dublin, is 1pm in Vancouver is 9am in Wellington on Monday….

So we have a time that is too late for kids etc to watch in Dublin, a horribly early time for the players to play AND right in time for school and work in New Zealand….

So maybe you play the game Saturday? But there's already the WXV2 fixtures on.

Again…. inventing pointless issues to generate faux outrage takes legitimacy away from actual issues.

Bask and enjoy the win. It was a great one

I'll let you have the last word, you obviously just want an argument and I'm not entertaining you.

I don't want the last word nor an argument.

I want it shown how incorrect and unreasonable you were. I want to highlight how much your post was in bad faith.

You offered no solution even when presented with several reasonable counter points.

We're the morning of the greatest Irish Womens win in 11 years. And you go and stink the place up with pointless conjecture.

Admitting you're wrong is not a sign of weakness you know. Quite the opposite.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

You can easily find threads on here that degenerated into farce because Ireland were playing USA well past midnight. We've also had entire World Cups with kicks offs at 5 or 6 in the morning.

Time zones remain undefeated.

I don't usually watch the post match interviews when I'm not watching a game live but I'm glad I did here.

Scott Bemand echoed exactly what I had thought about that team as I watched.

He has transformed this team into a team that is a nightmare to play against. They work for absolutely everything, make life really difficult for the opposition and back each other up at every point. Absolute grit from minutes 1 to 80.

The quality of the defence was just unrecognisable from any other point in Irish Womens rugby. The fitness to get off the line and put pressure on NZ and then the discipline to keep the shape as New Zealand threw it about and broke the line.

New Zealand had 13 line breaks yet only scored 3 tries. They're a top quality side and will cut you to pieces with their handling. So when they got through the work rate to get back in the line and keep making hits was incredible.

This was summed up by the extremely impressive Niamh O'Dowd. Phase after phase she shot off the line and put real pressure on the ball carrier, forcing mistakes or runner checks etc. It was amazing to see her fitness and determination. 6 tackles doesn't paint the full picture of just how crucial she was to Irelands defensive effort. Combined with 16 carries of her own.

The other Wexford native in Aoife Wafer is a superstar. Abrasive, hard carrying and hitting back row. 2 tries, 17 carries, 5 defenders beaten, 3 offloads, 7 passes, 9 tackles puts her on or near the top of every single stat metric there. Astonishing performance.

And seeing her interview after - she is a class act and a credit to herself and Ireland.

The aforementioned players are 24 and 21 respectively. A new generation and a very exciting one.

You're not comparing like for like kick off times though. At least with a 5 o'c kick off you can get up early and then head into work, a kick off of 3 am could be avoided, if they really wanted to.

5am Irish time means 9pm Sunday Local time (Vancouver) and 5pm Monday NZ time.

I don't see how 5am is a better time to watch something than 3am to be honest. Neither are a sociable hour in any demographic this tournament and the IRFU are trying to target.

Also 9pm is an atrocious kick off time for anyone. Yes they do it in the Top14. And they are very much unique in that aspect.

The Rugby Championship didn't have kick off times that late. And they have a similar global time zone issue

• Advertisement

If you don't see how 9pm or 5am is better than 3am than there's no point in discussing this futher.

Good god mate you're reaching so far now you could pat the girls on the back from where you're stood 😂

Phog my issue with your original point is clear and consistent.

You masked your personal annoyance at the fixture time behind an overarching issue with the attitude of Womens Rugby.

Virtue signalling of this manner takes away from the genuine issues that actually exist.

You don't like that the game was on at 3am Irish time. Fine.

However refusing to admit that this time was largely unavoidable due to geographical time zones and doubling down just doesn't help matters.

The Irish Womens team who you claimed to be championing in your original post actually got to play the game at a favourable time for them.

There are minute windows where this would have worked and simply put. There was zero way that this fixture goes ahead at a time that pleased a) The players b) The Irish fans c) The Kiwi fans.

Team named to face Canada (at a shockingly disrespectful kick off time of 11:45pm 😉)

15. Stacey Flood (Railway Union RFC)(12)
    14. Eimear Considine (UL Bohemian RFC/Munster)(28)
    13. Eve Higgins (Railway Union RFC)(19)
    12. Enya Breen (Blackrock College RFC/Munster)(23)
    11. Amee-Leigh Murphy Crowe (Railway Union RFC/Munster)(11)
    10. Dannah O’Brien (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)(17)
    9. Emily Lane (Blackrock College RFC)(8)

1. Niamh O’Dowd (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)(9)
    2. Clíodhna Moloney (Exeter Chiefs)(36)
    3. Linda Djougang (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)(39)
    4. Dorothy Wall (Exeter Chiefs/Munster)(30)
    5. Fiona Tuite (Old Belvedere RFC/Ulster)(8)
    6. Erin King (Old Belvedere RFC)(2)
    7. Aoife Wafer (Blackrock College RFC/Leinster)(9)
    8. Brittany Hogan (Old Belvedere RFC/Ulster)(25)

Replacements:

16. Neve Jones (Gloucester-Hartpury)(28)
    17. Siobhán McCarthy (Worcester Warriors/Munster)(2)
    18. Andrea Stock (Trailfinders Women/IQ Rugby)*
    19. Grace Moore (Trailfinders Women/IQ Rugby)(16)
    20. Deirbhile Nic a Bháird (Old Belvedere RFC/Munster)(9)
    21. Molly Scuffil-McCabe (Leinster)(18)
    22. Nicole Fowley (Galwegians RFC/Connacht)(12)
    23. Aoife Dalton (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)(16)

Didn't think Moloneys throwing was much better when she came on. But she gives a lot around the park.

Good to see Nic a Bháird back in too. Super player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭typhoony

Some of the lineout throws have been so far off target not even close to the line out jumper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,158 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Great result but didn't look likely for a lot of the game. We need to score when we're within 5m. Killed us last weekend, threatened to do the same tonight. Rotated players at 2 and 10 nearly cost us, bench made a huge difference

• Advertisement
Advertisement