Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Rowntree should have made the switch earlier, Butler was having a tough time out there and Murray clearly made a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Really could have done with for proper 9’and 10 cover today. Murray for Casey was a change that was needed today. Casey had no protection at the break down. Was getting thrown around like a rag doll.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭letowski

It’s very worrying we had 6 starters in the pack out there. Aside from a couple of scrums in the second half, the pack were soundly beaten up front.
    The URC site has the turnover stat 8-1 their favour. Were still so, so reliant on Beirne and POM to generate turnovers and pressure from the breakdown and lineout. We’d no other jackel threat out there, Zebre in the Q3 we’re just able to just own the ball and go through the phases as they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Folks talk about the fact you should support the Irish teams above all else. My view is that I support the team (assuming my team is not involved) that possibly can see my team higher in the table.

That said this was an unexpected result. And at the end of the day it only helps the URC. Rock on Zebre. Just don't do that to Connacht

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭StevenToast

RTE still has no report about the loss up yet....

Shocking...

Edit...up now...hours after the fact...

RTE news : Munster suffer shock loss to Zebre

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2024/0928/1472501-munster-suffer-shock-loss-to-zebre/

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Chiparus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

can anyone explain to me why Leinster who have an embarrassing amount of riches are the only province that have been able and allowed to strengthen their squad this season?

We have brought in players the other provinces are happy to leave go, billy burns is a 5/10 player, the connacht recruits are never going to be pushing for Irish places, basically all players not near international level, while perfectly good players like Frisch and RG have had to make way. We had a 13 playing 12 today, a wing playing 13 and an AIL player covering and having to put in a massive amount of minutes.

Haley is international level but cant get a look in, hes one solid season away from being brought into the English fold. Hes a better player than Nash who has proven to be able for the green jersey, its all the exact same thing that happened with Ben healy and frisch. Aint no way any of leinsters 10’s are a better player than Ben healy.

Even Crowley is only in the 10 jersey because frawley got injured on a tour designed specifically for him to play 10 and Jack took his chance. This years tour is being done for nobodys benefit only prendergast and Munster can ill afford to spare the players picked for that shite, we need Sean obrien, Ben oconner and Alex Klendennen in red against SA clubs not in Green, we are giving up capped starting players while others are not. Its fckuning ridicilous.

Its beyond a joke tbh, every move in Irish rugby is done to the betterment of the biggest bunch of chokers that have ever taken the field because they dont have the bottle to realise their headcoach is useless and should have been sacked a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭niallm77

When Leinster supply half the Irish squad they are going to have to rest those guys in URC games

Leinster lost a few THP (salanoa, aungier) to other provinces in recent years. So there is a development gaps slimani signing to replace Alaalatoa is fair

The other signings are no different to the leeway others have gotten in recent times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Anyone know will the star players return for the croke park clash or is it likely the B teams will still be playing??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭niallm77

It will be full strength given the AI aren't long after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I think if your first port of call after a loss is to bemoan Leinster, then you're already on to a loser. Wrt Haley, Ireland are the best side in rugby currently. Making the squad is incredibly hard and selection is at a premium. He covers 15 exclusively and unfortunately for him, Hugo Keenan has probably been the best fullback in the world for the last few years.

Also Ben Healy clearly isn't that good. Lost his place to Crowley soon after the latter broke through. He's now close to losing his starting spot at Edinburgh and is 3rd/4th choice flyhalf for Scotland.

Post edited by Clegg on

im not bemoaning leinster, they are not the team we aspire to be.

im bemoaning the system that is giving every advantage to them to the detriment of all the other provinces and they still cant win F all.

I can see where the on field issues were today, but the off field workings are causing us huge issues where squad depth is already decimated only two games into the season.

and the brothers in dublin lost their place to crowley as well, what does that make them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭FtD v2

This is utterly hilarious.

Edit: an utterly embarrassing too, of course.

Which part do you think is true?

The bit where you **** on your own signings and players?

The paranoia about how England are going to call up 30 year old Mike Haley any minute now?

The piece about how the Ginger Scottish Ross Byrne is supposedly better than any of Leinster’s out halves? (This is my personal favourite).

Blaming defeat on the absence of Sean O’Brien, Alex “Klendennan” and Ben O’Connor?!

Munster are by far and away the least impacted team by the EI tour btw.

Or the embittered, nonsensical rant at the end where you just take pot shots at Leinster?

As I said - utterly embarrassing post. Nothing short of just provoking rows with mindless nonsensical provincial sniping.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Rugbyf565

Frisch really let this team down, hope he has a stinker in France

Billy burns is a **** signing. Aint no two ways about that.

Mike haley is our best back 3 player.

I never blamed the defeat on missing players, but squad depth is a massive issue now and the shite going on off the field is making it worse. Thats indisputable.

Its not a pot shot when its true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Nobody watched the URC last weekend and bemoaned the loss of Ben Healy

Munster got beaten up up front today, with 6/8 from their first choice pack playing; the very guys who on other occasions you and others are bemoaning their lack of recognition like Hodnett, Coombes, Barron etc.

The two guys you’re missing are 32 and 35 years old, so there is a very near future where Munster will be without both in all likelihood.

The loss today to Zebre, who played well and have some dangerous players but are still a team who hadn’t won a game in 10 months and lost to Cardiff last week, had next to nothing to do with the IRFU, or Leinster or anything else. It was your own players not showing up and taking the opposition for granted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Yeah. The 23 today was more than good enough to beat Zebre. And after going in at HT with a BP and a 13 point lead, they should have done so pulling up.

Also I've no idea how Billy Burns being good or not has any relevance to a game that he missed through injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Mike Haley is a solid full back who defends the position well and carries hard in contact but he has an extremely limited distribution, is prone to brain dead decisions when trying to pass and is an average athlete at the top level who got beaten for pace over 40 metres by a Leinster second row. If he’s our best back 3 player (he’s not) we are in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭50HX

My temper on the loss has reduced a little

Great there is a game nxt weekend to rectify this & it should be a cracker, Ospreys with a bonus point win will come with there tails ups.

I really feel we're were rudderless after half time...need a few leaders to step up, a big hit, a turn over a bit of niggle...anything to grasp it

Early in the season all is not lost...the fact it was Zebre makes it more painful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,854 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

DOC made the point after the game that, while there were some green players out there, it was the more experienced ones who really let the side down, he was particularly scathing of Loughman and Jager, and Coombes will be dreading the video review of a couple of those tries.

Look, it's the second game of the season, things are always a bit unpredictable and sloppy at this stage, there's no need to panic (yet). Rowntree's post-match reaction would tell you there is going to be some serious fall-out this week so I would expect a big turnaround against Ospreys, especially if Crowley and Beirne are back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭ersatz

Terrible performance from Munster stalwarts though I really enjoyed Murrays cameo at ten. I’d really hope to see a massive reaction next week or this bodes very badly for the season. Nobody to blame but the players, they absolutely turned off for half an hour in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,427 ✭✭✭✭phog

That must go down as one of our worst performances ever, TBP wrapped up by halftime and then we go and lose the game without even getting a LBP. Beaten all over the park, poor defensive positioning, not resourcing rucks properly, kicking out in the full, intercept passes thrown, just so many basic errors and it cost us, cost us dearly.

I like that we're cutting through teams at times and we've had some great scores this season but we've conceded some shockers too.The free kick from scrum penalties seems to favour Casey, he's making some fantastic breaks and with someone on his shoulder it's costing the opposition but that no good if we can't defend.

I hope there's a proper reaction to this defeat next week v Ospreys who they themselves had a good win yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭thePigeon_

Ben Healy 😂😂

God I enjoyed that. Healy’s not even close to first choice for Edinburgh. Comical reaction to blowing a 13 point lead against a team with 2 wins in 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Rugbyf565

looking back it all went wrong after Haley’s pass was intercepted by Trulla for the try. Haley should be dropped for next week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

In a league comp I think you can pretty much allow one inexplicably terrible performance so I wouldnt be at panic stations just yet. But there is a lot to correct before next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Haven't seen the game yet but that's a shocker of a result. 24 points unanswered? They obviously switched off entirely after HT, thinking it was in the bag.

Leamy's gonna take someone's had off this week. Need to see a reaction next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

How much does a performance like that harm Coombes getting closer to an Ireland squad? Or does it impact people's conviction that he's been robbed or badly treated in not being given a fair shot to date.

Personally, while watching the game live I thought Coombes had a good game, his stats (even discounting his two tries) would back that up.

The shocking result doesn't help him or any of the 23 but he certainly was not the reason we lost that game

I'm wondering if we've changed something this year, we were the best defensive team last season but we've conceded 75 points in two games and our D was a concern for me during the two preseason games too. Have we tried to change something to suit our attack, the players that we have now or trying something somewhere else that players are falling between two stools leaving gaps for the opposition to be exploit.

It’s an interesting question. Can only speak for the Connacht game (and Bath pre-season game) but, from an attack perspective we seem to be attacking from much, much deeper? And subsequently when we turnover ball were under more pressure straight away. Thats what it look like to me anyways, fwiw.

Last week some of it was new personnel. Tom Farrell bit in, and Tony Butler had 2 missed tackles, so you’d imagine that’s one area that’ll naturally improve with more time.

I think losing Frisch might be part of it tho. He was honestly so good at scramble d for us.

I had a similar view too but yesterday we looked out of position, drifting away from rucks that we hadn't won, then add in JOD no pressure forward pass, after we won a turnover, Haley's forward pass that was intercepted and the pillars going missing allowing two tries to be scored just makes me think there's some change that the lads haven't mastered yet.

• Advertisement

Could well be the case. You’d back Leams to solve it. Thinking back to first season, we had 3 weeks where we conceded 42, 38 and 50 in a row, and went onto have the best defence last season.

Need a big reaction tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Well any defensive system you have can't cater for props leaving their pillar at ruck time. It's such an amateur mistake. To see it twice in one game was scarcely believable from a professional outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 goingmadted

Hilarious post it was. Its the truth according to him. mad stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭letowski

Aside from some of the obvious individual defensive errors Munster need to clean up, I think Leamy has still a good bit of work to do to get this defense working.

Granted we don't play a rush/blitz defense, our linespeed is really slow. Also with Tom Farrell defending at 13, because he probably isn't the quickest 13 on the turn, he sets a very soft edge at outside centre. It's problematic because its allowing teams to access the wider channels easily and make meters handy, not to mention its hard to defend at this level in space out wide. Then with Beirne and POM out, we've no jacket threat either, allowing Connacht and Zebre to basically have their way with us with ball in hand.

I think the coaching staff have a good bit of work in getting this defense sorted, with Leinster, the SA tour and the European games coming up quickly. Cutting down on individual errors and getting the internationals back will help, but I'd still be concerned at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I wonder has lawrences hangover subsided yet 🤔

Watched the game yesterday and I couldn't fathom how Munsters basics were so bad.

Lads just dropping the ball on first phase like. And this has happened in the Gloucester and Connacht games too.

Jager and Loughman getting beaten at pillar was beyond woeful. To quote Remember the Titans, they should be doing Up/Downs until the sky is no longer blue at training. Horrendous laziness from pro players.

Up sides. Ruadhán Quinn is a great player and physical and quick. Bringing his under 20s form. Hopefully he gets a boat load of minutes this season. Bryan Fitzgerald looks like a really tidy player too and a great advertisement for the AIL pathway. Congrats to him on his competitive debut and try

• Advertisement

Quinn is a great player, but we are already over reliant on him this season and he not Klendennen should be in the emerging irish squad as we know alex isnt going to get a chance in the Irish squad proper

Its great that quinn is getting minutes but the lack of depth across the squad has gotten worse not better this season.

We are in massive trouble in midfield, down past the bare bones at 10 already and we are now in a big hole for back 3 players, while also still reliant on the same props.

If the likes of Beirne / Crowley get injured things could get very very embarrassing.

Without some personal making it off the treatment table onto the pitch and the mistakes getting eliminated we could be in for an utterly embarrassing hiding in croke park.

Two games in there is very little to be optimistic about, and while some might disagree that the decisions made at national level are having a detrimental effect on the club it clearly is.

So what exactly is it you think should have happened at a “national level” so that some experienced Munster players don’t **** the bed against Zebre?

Force some Leinster players down there? Sign more expensive overseas players? What solution do you want exactly?

How much depth do you need in the back row?

And his name, fwiw, is Kendellen ffs. At least get that right.

we had a winger playing 13. A player who has never played in that position before expected to lead the defence, we then had to replace him with a player from the AIL making his debut. We had no OH option on the bench to cover 10.

Casey an Irish international is already after playing 160 minutes of rugby, what a way to treat him this early in the season, where is the player welfare there?

Sure the errors and the performance are the problem in that loss, i never said otherwise the performance was dogshit.

But your pissing into the wind having a squad like that expecting to compete in the league not to mind in Europe.

So pick a backline for the ospreys game. Will it be something like this?

Casey - again for another 80 mins?
    Murray - channeling his inner dupont and playing 80 mins at 10?
    Abhrahams
    Farrell - A player so good connacht let him go
    Fitzgerald - an AIL player with a short term deal
    Nash
    Haley.

With one experienced player on the bench in shay mccarthy. You can have all the back 3 players you want but that halfback and midfield is pants.

All while other experienced players who are needed are off down to SA to play SA clubs in friendly games in an effort to give prendergast gametime.

Its a complete crock of ****, its disrespect-full to the league, we are quick enough to chastise SA teams sending second string side to the NH at times, how is this different?

pick a backline for the Ospreys game

Murray, Crowley, Abrahams, Farrell, Nankivell/Daly, Nash, Haley.

Looks OK to me?

Farrell - A player so good connacht let him go

Jesus. What a perspective.

Munster have 44 senior contracted players and another 18 Academy players.

10 on the injury report, and 8 gone on the EI tour (of whom 5 are Academy players). Munster also had 10 players playing AIL the previous weekend.

There’s more than enough depth there - you just don’t like or rate some of the options. Why did Casey need to play 160 mins? There was a senior contracted scrum half sitting on the bench for the Connacht game who wasn’t given a minute.

You had no out half on the bench because you opted not to select your Year 2 Academy out half. Crowley will most likely be back this coming weekend in any event.

The problems at centre are largely of Munster’s own making because they haven’t produced a single top international quality centre in the last 20 years.

The problem here isn’t that you don’t have enough players, you just don’t like the players you have.

perspective?

We had to let a 28 year old international prospect player go because Ireland couldn't look beyond the 34yr old, 29yr old and 32yr old that were in the squad this year. It was a mistake letting him go.

We got a good player from connacht that is never going to be at international level, he just doesn't have the pace needed and that wont ever change.

that is never going to be at international level, he just doesn't have the pace needed and that wont ever change

I think you could apply that to the guy who left just as much as the guy who arrived, tbh.

Frisch asked to leave and to get out of his contract a year early. He’s French, he wanted to go home to France and play there, for a bucket of money from Toulon.

There was always a semi-mercenary quality to his comments, and the sense was he’d have played for anyone of Ireland, France or England who picked him first, so it’s not shocking when guys like that leave for the money. He didn’t get capped for Ireland because he wasn’t a better player than the guys who got capped ahead of him. It’s not some grand conspiracy, it’s just he didn’t do enough to earn it, that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I suppose the glass half full way of looking at it would be that if Munster lose to the Ospreys, and Sean O'Brien being away with EI is a contributing factor, at least qualification for the URC play-offs isn't that challenging and from mid October on Fitzgerald will be an improved option from getting experience he wouldn't have otherwise had and O'Brien will be back available but with an extra pep in his step from thinking he's now on the Ireland radar.

But, yeah. Munster certainly don't have Leinster's depth at outhalf or Connacht's depth at 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Number 137

This post is absolute nonsense. Ultimately, Leinster produce the majority of their own players. They then sign players to add to their squad in the same way Munster signed Snyman and de Allende. Regardless of how successful either signing was, they were massive signings at the time. There is also the possibility that Leinster is a more attractive proposition for foreign players to sign for. Competing at the business end of competitions nearly every season, highly renowned coaching group, etc. Players would much rather play for a team who regularly qualify for finals, even if they've been losing them more recently, than a team who has won one trophy in the last 13 years and generally hasn't been competing at the same level.

All provinces have been affected in some way by the EI tour. I would argue that Connacht are far more affected than Munster. The simple reality Munster's defeat to Zebre yesterday is entirely their own fault. Munster are a quality outfit who I expect to challenge on both fronts this, presuming key players stay fit. Sometimes you have a bad day at the office. That's sport.

• Advertisement
Advertisement