Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Annoying Gym Behaviour - Mk2(?)

1686970717274»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I really think most people queue or don't sub movements when applicable because they just aren't confident in their understanding of how to sub, and what is like for like. I think it's that simple.

They don't understand what muscles are being trained in all movements, and although they might have a general understanding of horizontal push, pull vs vertical etc When it comes to pulling the trigger and picking a substitute a lot of them would rather wait than risk getting it wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,634 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Agree. Plus there is an awful lot of people who do know what's being trained, but that re simply invested in the broscience that says a particular variation is more effective at isolation the most lateral tricep head to look good in a white tshirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Cill94

Yeah I would assume it's a blend of both problems. Being convinced by an influencer that there's something radically different about the variation of an exercise they promote, and also just not knowing how to change it for something similar.

I see so much content that says 'you're training x muscle wrong' and then provides a magic bullet solution. I would have to think it's playing a factor in how many exercise options people think they have available to them.

My favorite are the influencers who say you are "wasting your time" doing X and then six months later, when they've shifted position completely, they're promoting X and have memory holed everything they said before. It's hilarious, if you follow someone doing this for long enough, but also shows you so many of them are just grifters. Just churning out the content, monetising whatever they can, no actual experience base or clients or proven track record in many cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

99% of online PT’s are full of sh*t. They’ll say everything and anything if it gets them a few likes on Instagram from those chicks who post their ass with the caption “trained legs today, so sore”! Like and subscribe and why not sign up to my 6 month challenge, only 479.99 per month!

That’s my input to the annoying gym behaviour. I’m sure it counts since it’s gym related 😂😂

I would distinguish between PTs and influencers selling programmes.

That's not much to distinguish most of the time. Obviously some influencers will spruik anything including a generic program with their name and a silly price tag on it. Same influencers selling retreats, mindfulness subscriptions, make up etc.

But a huge part of the PT wheelhouse these days is online revenue streams. These are PTs like any other in the gym, gaining clients through content. Some are genuinely good and know what they are talking about. A lot are a few bad financial decisions away from only fans

There are a lot of influencers and PTs who overlap in terms of their grifting and general uselessness, but I was really only responding to the comment that 99% of online PTs are full of ****. I think it's a bit negative, and what was described was really the worst of behaviour, there are some coaches who are knocking it out of the park, online.

The delivery of PT, group coaching and individual, and the sale of programming and other content, online, has been a gamechanger … Not just for particular coaches and gyms, but for clients too. This is probably the greatest time to be a gym rat in the history of the world. You can be living in Dublin, training in your shed, and you can more or less be following the approach being taken by some of the best in the world, no matter where they're located. I've got Joe DeFranco on my phone, giving me tips on my box jump videos, honestly, 90s me would never believe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Cill94

Athlean X is the grifter king of saying whatever he has to for clicks. No integrity or desire to provide useful information. Couldn't care less if he contradicts everything he's ever said. Has also used been caught out using fake weights in his videos.

• Advertisement

The fake weights thing is mind-blowing. I guess the female equivalent is the extensive photoshopping of images by female influencers. There's an account by a coach in NY that is dedicated to calling these people out, for promoting false standards, he finds all the bent lines and whatnot, visible in the backgrounds.

I think the 99% comment was hyperbole I assume.

Goob.
    To be fair, he calls out as many men as women. Although the men are as likely to appear for some creepy predator behaviour as photoshopping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Yeah Goob, he’s brilliant, and a load of them clap back at him and he just doubles down. That’s the kid of energy I can get behind!

And yes the 99% might have been hyperbole to an extent! But it’s still the vaaaaaaast majority! Sad things is the genuine PT’s are stuck fighting in that mud and ain’t gonna win against FlexTrenMcgee who has 17M followers!

This is true, I grew up with a girl who’s now a “fitness influencer” with several million followers and I can say 100% she doesn’t know her arse from her elbow! But it’s a nice arse, and she’s a pretty face so it’s a win win for Instagram! That’s the world we live in!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭mindhorn

Got a link to his channel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,474 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

People who in a busy gym go ahead and take their sweet time, including four or five minute breaks between sets of cables (I've seen people pulling 12kg on a cable taking the these types of breaks between sets) and refusing to allow people to work in.

I saw one guy using a dual cable machine, one side for pull downs the alternating to the other side for bicep curls with a single cable next to that which he could have used for both, refuse to allow a young lad to work in with him, he had been on that machine for over 30 minutes at that stage. I went over shortly afterwards and asked was he really using the equipment in that way and he apologetically allowed me to use it. He felt comfortable being an ass to the younger lad but knew he couldn't get away with it where an older man was concerned.

People just need to be decent to each other, even in a busy gym there's scope to use equipment efficiently and allow others the opportunity to get value out of their membership.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,890 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

4 rules are too many 😅 ok. ? I’d imagine most gyms have a set of rules / charter exceeding ‘4’… paying on time, gym attire, health and safety, fire regs… there is 4 more for ya, you better stay away 😉

Thing is where I go 99.99% of us manage to adhere to the rules 100% of the time. The negatives simply are interesting to note and in context with the thread so….just like the TA thread is AH. 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

When people go to the gym with their mates

Four young lads in the gym today going around in a group.
    Congregate around a machine talking shite while one does one set, then the next fella, then the next fella etc etc rinse and repeat until all 4 have done 3 sets, hogging the machine for half an hour before they move onto the next one

Not only is it inconsiderate, it also just seems to be a terrible way to work out. Not the sharpest lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭redzerredzer

I don’t see the problem with the above. is that not a better use of the equipment? Better than 4 people using it one after another.

Just because they were young you take an issue.

Eh no, it’s not a better use of equipment for a group of people to commandeer a machine to themselves for extended periods of time not allowing anyone to work in, it’s asshole behaviour

It’s also just pointless and stupid as I outlined above, the other lads standing around talking taking the guts of 15 minutes between sets until their next set rolls around. None of them are getting a good workout and they’re annoying people.
    Why can’t they just workout like normal people and then have their chats afterwards? Why do they need several of their mates supervising them for every set?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,655 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Did you try asking to work in?

• Advertisement

Yes

They said “No sorry he’s next, and then him, and then him…”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

But how is it different from 4 unconnected people getting ahead of you?

If they are wasting time chatting then yeah, but if they are working through consistently then it's probably quicker through the 4 in this way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Musicrules

It's halved the time if they were doing it individually without working in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Yeah not letting people work in, especially on a machine or cable, is wrong. I reckon 5 people can be sharing one piece of equipment: say each person takes 40 seconds to setup and do their set, that's 4 x 40s = 160s, plus 20s for faffing about, that's 180s, so your wait time (AKA rest time) is 180s / 60s = 3 minutes, which is grand usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭sudocremegg

When there's an unoccupied bench press rack but one guy insists on dragging a free bench over and using the busy squat racks to bench press.

Similarly when somebody uses the bench press setup as a normal bench for dumbbell exercises.

I've noticed girls in particular never unload the weights from the hip thrust machine. Such a pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I use my phone all the time in the gym. It has music, but it also has my routines on it, via google sheets, with the reps and weights I am aiming for for each set (which I update as I progress). Sometimes, if a lift is very new to me or I am just never good at it and it doesn't feel right, I will look up form instructions videos on Youtube or google.

I, of course, am aware of other users in the gym and will not delay anyone else by using the phone more than necessary, but it is a very useful thing to have on you when working out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

People who leave their weights on the equipment after they have finished drive me mad, I’m an old weakling and don’t want to have to be taking two or more 25kg plates from a machine or bar before I begin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭testtech05

Id largely agree with this point generally but in the small local gym I go to the bench rack is very awkward to rack/unrack with any sort of decent weight on it so if you have no one to unrack with you I would just feel safer doing my bench in a power rack. But that is not always the case I would imagine

I agree that benching inside a squat rack is the gold standard for safety, and there's certainly times I've done it…

…But also, if a gym is busy, and someone wants to bench in the squat rack because otherwise they're not confident in racking and unracking safely… I dunno, I'd be inclined to query whether they're benching too heavy for their relative strength and experience anyway. Accidents can happen and safeties are always handy to have, but I don't know that I'd want to be in a situation where I didn't feel safe to do a run of the mill bench session without them.

I accept I don't know anyone's situation. If someone is a powerlifter and they're peaking and it's genuinely heavy and dicey, and there's no decent spotters on hand, then fair enough.

Advertisement