Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OPW and projected cost of 442K for Modular Homes

• 30-09-2024 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

When scoped previously the cost was expected to be 200K per modular home that would have housed up to 4 people, the projected final cost is now 442K, between the Bike Shed, the Security Hut and now this, surely its time for some accountability and future oversight that stops this type of overspending.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

From today's IT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,643 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

We really need to stop with this folly.

Modular homes in this country are neither rapid or cheap.

They are the polar opposite.

Post edited by Beasty on

They offer a value solution..…until they become Government contracts.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Dr.Tom

Would it be cynical of me to think a TD's cousins daughters husband's brother may be involved in the contracts or is there zero cronyism involved in this project?

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭Xterminator

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." Hanlons razor.

Look at the mess they are making of the children's hospital. BAM is the developer and threes not a hint of cronyism. Simply the state cannot manage a watertight contract and manage a project. They are seen as an easy mark with an open checkbook.

Unless there is evidence to the contrary - i will attribute it to the incompetency of the state, its lack of respect for public funds and the lack of any will to fight for value for money, as its not their money - it come from the magic money tree inside the public purse!

Post edited by Beasty on

• Advertisement

I assume the mod homes was a tender win.

Well I hope they have been careful with this cost "creep". If not, then I imagine the unsuccessful tender bidders would have a case?

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,586 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Follow the money 🤔

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭plodder

I agree. How hard can it be to build a modular home? I presume they have a contractor prepare a concrete base with pipes and services in the right places. Then the modular home supplier arrives plonks it in place and connects the services. How can the cost escalate so much?

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭enricoh

Think it honestly makes no odds at this stage, ff and fg could squander a million each on them n we'll re-elect them anyway!

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,594 ✭✭✭baldbear

They just don't care about tax payers. Absolutely ridiculous. Meanwhile kids are on waiting lists.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Tow

Site works cost 18k more than expected, but the overall cost per home more than doubled....

Post edited by Beasty on

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,050 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Because modular homes need scale, it costs a fortune to setup the factory, and no one has managed that in any country. There are a few small scale providers but no company has ever made large scale modular home building work. Modular homes have pushed as the solution to the housing crisis for several years yet they have never delivered so it's time to give up on them.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

It's absolutely ******* ridiculous, isn't it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Augme

Accountability with FF and FG in charge? Fat chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,606 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Does that even include the site?

There's gonna be another tribunal about this isn't there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Why has nobody started a new thread on the real reason behind all this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

And here lies more of the waste of taxpayers money, tribunals that never deliver worthwhile outcomes. No one even gets sacked or jailed !!

Tribunals are just for lads to flaunt how much they got away with. It's a rite of passage. They have a little chuckle if the tribunal costs millions and runs for years. And the beauty is that they only have to say a hail mary and 4 our fathers and they go to heaven. Amazing really. So, long as you are wealthy it does not matter how you got that wealth, you will be respected. Just steer clear of anything sexually related and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

These building companies see the Irish government coming a mile away. There's no prudence or accountability of Irish taxpayers money, the government treat it like it's an everlasting roll of toilet paper.

• Advertisement

That doesn't explain why the price doubled from the initial estimate.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Is this OPW again??

If so, where o where is Patrick O'Donovan?? The minister in charge.

Do we need a search party?

The usual FFG apologists will be on soon to say there is nothing to see here…

Post edited by Beasty on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

That's all from 1 badly run Department. They should look at Education and Agriculture next.

I remember hearing a few years ago that Portacabins at schools are big business for those with connections to senior politicians. That building new/bigger schools for our growing population wasn't a priority when there was millions to be made on supplying Portacabins at extortionate rental costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Floppybits

The HSE would be number 1 on my list. Can't even imagine the waste going on there?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭greyday

The indignation from Robert Watt when questioned about signing off on a potential 20 million to trinity to for the Tony Holohan placement should have set alarm bells ringing, a paltry amount it seems.

https://www.thejournal.ie/roberty-watt-committee-5754637-May2022/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Why don't we just import them, these would proably come on the ferry from Spain,

https://lascasasmodulares.es/

Plenty of countrys make them and are in business years. There's no excuse for what the Government are after spending on these bar stupidity or criminality.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,787 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Here is the actual report:

https://www.audit.gov.ie/en/publications/report%20on%20the%20accounts%20of%20the%20public%20services/report-on-the-accounts-of-the-public-services-2023.html

See chapter 5:

https://www.audit.gov.ie/en/find-report/publications/2024/5-delivery-of-rapid-build-housing.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,787 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Some details:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Can it be described as rapid if the completion date changes by two years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Temporary Modular homes for Ukrainians former and latter missing from the thread title there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

How is the OPW allowed to authorize an annual 120% increase in cost funding in this situation and how in the (insert) do these things cost €400,000+ each

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The govt pick the contractors and the contractors pile it on because they are told they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,687 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭SeanW

Agreed. Hanlon's razor may well apply here, "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." But by ipso facto one or the other must apply with lunacy like this.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Advertisement

Edit: Ah, not worth commenting on this joke of a situation anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

jayzus…at the rate theyre going the IMF be back soon and some gobdaw of a politician will be telling us sure we all partied…did we fcuk!!!

Post edited by Beasty on

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Danye

POD isn’t the OPW Minster. It’s Kieran O’Donnell.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,050 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

That's not the modular homes that we need though, that's small scale shipping long distances while we need massive scale shipping a few km. It's not in any way sustainable to the shipping houses long distances

Nowhere has made large scale modular home building work out cheaper than traditional building methods.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Mav11

If so, where o where is Patrick O'Donovan?? The minister in charge

This 110%. Where was he?

Post edited by Beasty on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Mav11

O'Donovan was the minister when all this was going on. It only changed recently.

Promotion based on incompetence?

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭PixelCrafter

So we're planning to spend €107,954 per person accommodated??

It sounds like we started negotiating with a single supplier and once we were committed, the price just shot up. Of course we could import them by ship. Lots of bulky, but high valued goods are imported by sea. The whole idea behind using pre-fabricated homes was that because they are made in a factory, that factory can be anywhere in the world. I remember a hotel was built near Dublin Airport using modular units (each bedroom arrived fully constructed and kitted out) and was assembled on site in around half the time it would take to build a conventional hotel. As far as I remember the units were manufactured in the Netherlands.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Plus the massive discount for utilities A flat rate of €40, for internet, waste, electricity....

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-41158678.html?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwu-63BhC9ARIsAMMTLXQhBuBTeoRhwMkdQYOi6jwOBE9dSmFT_zgvS8Ol8kxsmrC9_6mecKoaAvZPEALw_wcB

True but he was until April by which all these contacts would have been completed and he is a cabinet minister now.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,602 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I was never one for the tin foil hat talk.

But I firmly believe this country is set up for a select few to absolutely coin it at the top and the rest of us get the crumbs.

We will look back in year to come at how we utterly wasted this corporation tax windfall from a handful of large MNCs.

Can the two threads on this topic be merged?

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭L Grey

Keep voting in the same and you'll get the same.

A potato-headed country.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

……..

• Advertisement
Advertisement